How to repack one of the main SFS without reflashing it?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

wanthinker

How to repack one of the main SFS without reflashing it?

Post by wanthinker »

So i was wondering, since i already know how to repack/remaster certain distros (namely puppy, and some ubuntu flavored ones), how could i repack one of the main SFSs (found on one of the partition after flashing/while puppy is running) and replace it with an updated version (say if i add a startup script in one of those SFSs) BUT without having to repack the ISO with the updated SFSs and then reflashing it...

Is it possible? given last time i tried i did notice most of the other partition are read-only...(although i do recall someone on murga forum who mentioned a similar idea and managed to do it, though can't find the link to that post in my bookmark/history...)

Mainly want to do this using Bash/Shell script if possible (since I'm more used to it than other langs)

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

mikewalsh

Re: Repack one of the main SFS without reflashing it

Post by mikewalsh »

@wanthinker :-

I don't see a problem. No need to re-build the ISO; SFS packages can be opened, modified, re-packed and replaced at any time.....this is one of the good things about them. The only thing that would be required would be a re-boot, so that Puppy is then reading (and using) the now-altered SFS. What, exactly, are you wanting to do?

Is it an adrv or ydrv you're wanting to modify? This can be modified/replaced while Puppy is running, yes.....because those files are only read at boot time. The rest of the time, they're just sitting there. :)

You don't even need to use Bash; all the required tools are built-in to every Puppy, OOTB. SFS building just requires a single command in the terminal, that's all.....mksquashfs.

Mike. ;)

Return to “Users”