New Home for Puppy Linux is Running

Ideas and discussion

rockedge
Site Admin

New Home for Puppy Linux is Running

Post by rockedge »

We are now transmitting from the new home for Puppy Linux!

Soon the main Home page and wiki will move here as well.

All links to puppylinux.rockedge.org will be permanently redirected to forum.puppylinux.com to preserve those Links that have been posted and listed as such.

Please report any problems, the transfer is significant in complexity and size so it will be a miracle if it is 100%

ThruHammer

Re: New Home for Puppy Linux is Running

Post by ThruHammer »

AWESOME! and thank you, Rocky. YOU'DA MAN!

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Ditto. :thumbup: :thumbup:

wiak

Post by wiak »

Working fine down here. Well done rockedge!

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

foxpup

Post by foxpup »

Hey yes. :o
I hadn't realized yet I had clicked the old link and that it worked.
Great!
Thank you @rockedge

keniv

Post by keniv »

My pups and dog using a selection of palemoon, iron and firefox are all working with https://forum.puppylinux.com. Thanks for all the work you've done on this.

Regards,

Ken.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

What will eventually happen with oldforum.puppylinux.com?

tosim

Post by tosim »

Great job! Thanks for all you're doing here.

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:54 pm

What will eventually happen with oldforum.puppylinux.com?

I'm myself comfortable with this address:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/

But maybe rockedge will make redirection or use mod rewrite for oldforum.puppylinux.com?
Or he could just add http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/ to this forum links menu as Old Puppy Forum.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

All good now, so thanks @rockedge & @01micko for getting this sorted and providing this forum for the community.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@rcrsn51 Good news, we will be keeping the J.Murga forum operational.

We will be undertaking some test runs on a local web server to do either the code modifications needed to run phpBB version 2+ on PHP 7.2+ or the necessary conversions of the database to be able to run the latest version of phpBB for the Murga Forum (oldforum.puppylinux.com). We would continue to have oldforum.puppylinux.com as Read Only.

If it is possible to convert the database successfully, the next question would be, do we leave it read only?
The Murga forum would be fully operational again in theory. A merger of the 2 forums would not work that easily and seems impractical because of the sheer size and number of the Murga forum's files and database. And differences in design and organization. So set to read only and as an archive would be the best bet.

Bottom line = John Murga Forum will remain up and running as a read only archive. The future of how and where is being discussed actively.

PipzDex

Post by PipzDex »

@rockedge

I join the puppy new world order (woof woof)
sounds scary haha :D :D

Pentium (R) 2.20GHz I RAM: 8.0 GB I F96-CE_5 I Kernel 6.6.8-64oz-ao I Glibc: 2.31 I 1600x900 Px

My Puppy Stuff and more

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Murga forum set to read only and as an archive would be the best bet.

YES!!!

This new forum, is much better organized, and does not have all the old outdated stuff, in it.

The Murga forum is full of outdated stuff, that no longer applies to Puppy Linux, as it now is.
There are a lot of good, forgotten programs and code, but a lot are dead links to downloads and
are iffy, if they would even work, in the very new versions of Puppy.

It is still an excellent place to search for ideas, some info, some example code, and some simple very good Puppy only programs.
But, it is about a 50% to 75% chance, what you find, will still work or still applies, to present Puppy Linux.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

rockedge wrote:

Bottom line = John Murga Forum will remain up and running as a read only archive. The future of how and where is being discussed actively.

It would be nice if the John Murga Forum could be kept open for editing. Many Google searches point to posts in that forum and I see a benefit if the OP of such posts could edit it and add a link to the new forum if the thread is continued in the new forum. Likewise it would help if outdated/incorrect information could still be corrected. Don't know if it is technically possible to prevent new posts while still allowing editing of existing posts.

Just an idea. Forget it if it makes no sense.

s243a

Post by s243a »

MochiMoppel wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:42 am
rockedge wrote:

It would be nice if the John Murga Forum could be kept open for editing. Many Google searches point to posts in that forum and I see a benefit if the OP of such posts could edit it and add a link to the new forum if the thread is continued in the new forum. Likewise it would help if outdated/incorrect information could still be corrected. Don't know if it is technically possible to prevent new posts while still allowing editing of existing posts.

Just an idea. Forget it if it makes no sense.

Another issue with the old forum is some (or all) of the attachments don't work.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

s243a wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:49 am

Another issue with the old forum is some (or all) of the attachments don't work.

:?:
All download links I tried still work. If the attached files work or not depends on how and where they will be used. For users of older Puppies the "don't work" does not necessarily apply, and when the attachment poses a risk or is really crap then it would add a point to my proposal to keep the old forum editable.

wanthinker

Post by wanthinker »

bigpup wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:45 am

Murga forum set to read only and as an archive would be the best bet.

YES!!!

This new forum, is much better organized, and does not have all the old outdated stuff, in it.

The Murga forum is full of outdated stuff, that no longer applies to Puppy Linux, as it now is.
There are a lot of good, forgotten programs and code, but a lot are dead links to downloads and
are iffy, if they would even work, in the very new versions of Puppy.

It is still an excellent place to search for ideas, some info, some example code, and some simple very good Puppy only programs.
But, it is about a 50% to 75% chance, what you find, will still work or still applies, to present Puppy Linux.

I mean, most of what's on the old forum isn't really *that* outdated or even should be considered dead because:

- Most of the files attached there are already archived on archive.org or have other mirror made by other in the community (except for very specific/obscure things, like the bash fork puppy use which i never could find anywhere, but that i could probably find if i asked any of the active puppy developer...etc)
- Many people still use old hardware and can't change/switch puppies/or just prefer hanging into that one specific puppy they're found of (which the old forum may or may not have more information available about)
- Puppy base script/inner working didn't change *too much* (eg: many older pet and sfs i found still work fine on latest puppy, some need some workaround but nothing too bad except for one or two i found)
- Lastly, very huge amount of help/information for any old/new puppy dev. (especially useful for people who can't/don't want to have to know C to help the community and just know some other high level lang, like bash, ruby etc, which the old forum have lot of snippet, info and project about)

Just my two cents :)

wanthinker

Post by wanthinker »

rockedge wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:01 pm

@rcrsn51 Good news, we will be keeping the J.Murga forum operational.

We will be undertaking some test runs on a local web server to do either the code modifications needed to run phpBB version 2+ on PHP 7.2+ or the necessary conversions of the database to be able to run the latest version of phpBB for the Murga Forum (oldforum.puppylinux.com). We would continue to have oldforum.puppylinux.com as Read Only.

If it is possible to convert the database successfully, the next question would be, do we leave it read only?
The Murga forum would be fully operational again in theory. A merger of the 2 forums would not work that easily and seems impractical because of the sheer size and number of the Murga forum's files and database. And differences in design and organization. So set to read only and as an archive would be the best bet.

Love your and other peoples work in the community but if i may give a suggestion:

- Would be better if old forum is read only/well preserved
- Would be useful since you mentioned downloads links not working, to redirect them to working mirror, like archive.org (lots of puppy's files saved there) or other mirrors made by the community)

I think that's it.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@rockedge :-

Thanks, Erik. Everything you and Micko do for the community is always appreciated.

With regard to the Murga Forum, yes, by all means.....keep it as READ-ONLY. It's an extremely important part of Puppy's legacy, and it would be a shame to lose access to all that knowledge. Okay, a fair bit of it IS "out-of-date" (if you're the "forward-looking" type that always wants the very newest of everything), but, as stated; if you don't have much choice but to run older Pups - or you're just a stubborn cuss who likes older Puppies (for whatever reason) - then it's still a goldmine of information.

Merging would, I feel, lead to fragmentation of the community. Some would inevitably gravitate back to the old Forum; nobody would be 100% sure if their posts were in the best place to be seen by the largest number of Puppians.....management would become a nightmare.

This new Forum is definitely a lot more flexible & usable.....and the majority of important/requested stuff from Murga has by now been linked-to from here.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Read-only. Allowing people to post and edit posts on the old forum will result in chaos.

wiak

Post by wiak »

bigpup wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:45 am

Yes, out-of-date is indeed only applicable to 'today'; it is not out-of-date when using older Pups of that era so the information remains valid.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

The link to oldforum.puppylinux.com is now working for me. Thanks.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Looking thru the old forum, we need to think of it as archealogical in the time reference of Puppy's beginning for BIOS level PCs; namely 286s, 386s, 486s, Pentium I/II/III, Pentium 4 and the Pentiums used in Netbooks.

ALL newer PCs, AMDs, Intels, and RasPi are addressed in PCs manufactured since 2006-2007 as the PC manufacturing world changed then with all major manufactureing adopting x86-64 for ALL new PCs moving forward to today is what the new forum should have us focused on.

Even our monitors have gone thru an evolution is both ability and power consumption.

PUPs and DOGs now have to address the distros running on PCs that have much more memory, much more speed, much more antennas, much more than anything we could have concieved of in the old forum as we move forward in what is occurring. PCs today have need for ONLY 2 cables in a home: power and HDMI to TV.

Heck, I dont wear glasses now to use my current technology and the recent PUPs coming out.

It is good for us that the new forum as started us off, anew.

May the new forum stay current in its abilty to upgrade as time moves forward, too.

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”