NextPup (iguleder distro) questions

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

greengeek

NextPup (iguleder distro) questions

Post by greengeek »

Hmmm - i was going to post this in "Requests" thread but i can't find it.

Looks like the rockedge forum homepage has had a tidy up so that's maybe why i can't find requests. (Homepage definitely looks better today!)

Puppy started out as a lightweight Linux and I was intrigued by iguleder's "Nextpup" which to be honest did not look like any normal pup but definitely ran quick and had the basic menu structure of puppy (although not a jwm desktop as far as I could tell!)

I would like to get NextPup more functional on some of my older hardware.

I am wondering if any puppian managed to get very far with NextPup? Is iguleder still a contributor? Is there any way to get a browser installed on Next Pup ? (It does not seem to be able to load a .pet)

(The forum change has put me in a position where I need to fall back on my Puppy CD archives and I like some of what I find. Some of the old stuff was REALLY lean and mean and a good match for older hardware - and I feel that our modern puppies have been hijacked by a changing internet. I want to see what my hardware can do even if it means working OFFLINE. Until I get a browser installed into NextPup i can't judge it's limits).
nic007

Re: NextPup (iguleder distro) questions

Post by nic007 »

Have you tried jrb's Precise Lite? Personally, I use my own customized version of Precise as my daily Puppy which base sfs is only 82MB in size (everything and more included except for the browser which could be run as extra sfs). I also have Tahr, Xenial and Bionic but I use my Precise version almost all of the time as I can do everything that the other Puppys can.
darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Hi GG,

glibc 2.10 from memory cos this was around the time iguleder put out dpup 009 which was based on squeeze.

You try seamonkey 2,48 glibc2.19 that is on Mike Walsh's site...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1htNOma ... sp=sharing

I have a glibc upgrade that I used in 4.31 Phoenix glibc 2.19 if that helps as used in Dpup 4.87
https://archive.org/download/pup4.311gl ... pup487.pet
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

nic007 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:10 am Have you tried jrb's Precise Lite? Personally, I use my own customized version of Precise as my daily Puppy which base sfs is only 82MB in size (everything and more included except for the browser which could be run as extra sfs). I also have Tahr, Xenial and Bionic but I use my Precise version almost all of the time as I can do everything that the other Puppys can.
Hi nic, is this the right page do you think:
https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Precise
...and can you see the appropriate file in the iso list? Can't see an 82MB version.
cheers!
nic007

Post by nic007 »

Yes, those are jrb's light versions. Download the iso of the latest one and see if you like it (he did leave out some stuff and added others). I see the size of his base sfs is about 83 MB (not the whole iso size). My own puplet is more or less the same size but different (not released).

Return to “Users”