What to do with .webp? [Solved] I think

Moderator: Forum moderators

williwaw

Re: What to do with .webp? [Solved] I think

Post by williwaw »

Switching over to Firefox. Now I see the appimages. Sites seem to be giving Seamonkey more and more problems.

chromium works too. sadly seamonkey works less and less. sometimes I am notified "your browser is not supported" and other times there are web features that just do not show on the page without any apparent way to tell something wrong with the rendering

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Sorry, williwaw, what is the imagemagick appimage supposed to do?

I've run it, no change in Seamonkey's inability to open the url I listed earlier as an image.

But, as I've said before, Seamonkey can open inline webP images on the Google webP gallery site.

I'm thinking it's possibly a problem with seamonkey recognizing the mimetype....

If I go to Seamonkey Edit>Preferences>Helper Applications it looks like various image types are recognized, but I don't see WebP

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

the webp conversion sent me down a rabbit hole searching for apps that can do the conversion and put the links in a reply before I noticed you were looking for a seamonkey solution, I did see a firefox add-on also, maybe that will work in seamonkey?

Last edited by williwaw on Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Okay, my latest theory after some research. Seamonkey (and Firefox) does not look at the file extension (like .webp) to determine a file type. It is actually told by a server what the mime type of the file is when downloading it. It is also told if the file is an attachment image, or an inline image.

"....how a file is processed by a browser is determined by the Content-Type field in the http Response Header; the file suffix should be ignored when there is a Content-Type field. "

My guess is that the attached files I'm having a problem with either have a faulty Response Header, or because the image file is tagged as an attachment instead of in-line code, Seamonkey lacks the helper application to deal with webp attachments. It DOES have internal code capable of handling in-line webp files. Attached files and inline files are treated differently.

This does not explain exactly why Firefox does seem able to open those attachments, while Seamonkey doesn't. But Firefox handles them by downloading first, and then displaying in another tab. Not in-line. Typically in a forum, attachments do open in-line. This Firefox handling of these problem files is atypical. Therefore I think there is something problematic about the attachments themselves.

Browsers are apparently allowed to try to interpret the content , or use the extension as a clue IF the Response Header mimetype is absent. Maybe Firefox handles this situation, and Seamonkey is not able to yet for problematic attached WebP images.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

norgo

Post by norgo »

@vtpup
in case that your seamonkey version has been compiled with option [ ac_add_options --with-system-webp ]
please check if webp is installed at your system
Could be a reason
I've no problems to view webp contents with seamonkey.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Hi Norgo, thanks!

I have no idea what was compiled into my Seamonkey. It is the standard Linux binary version downloaded directly from the Seamonkey site, and is current.

I also do not have a problem viewing webP images in-line on websites. I can view WebP images on Google's image gallery site.

I am beginning to suspect the Simple Machines Forum (SMF) software on the forum where I'm finding these few specific problem images. If the forum software itself is not handling these images right, and it is assuming that they are binary flles, that would mean that a thumbnail is not generated, and the files can only be downloaded by Seamonkey, unless Seamonkey itself can determine that they are images -- which it seems unable to do. Maybe Firefox recognizes them and is set to display them in a new tab rather than automatically download them.

I just tried uploading one of these webp images to this forum as an attachment and an experiment here, however this forum software does not accept webp image files as attachments. (I'm actually happy about that....).

I'm now wondering if the other forum software is not set up block the .webp extension as an attachment, but treats them as binary files, and does not identify them specifically to the browser.

I think that would explain everything I'm finding....

Here's a screenshot of what see on the other forum: (ps the file attachments labeled .jpg are apparently also mislabeled. They are in fact webp files, on examination)

Attachments
SimplyLocoUnviewableAttachments.jpg
SimplyLocoUnviewableAttachments.jpg (63.42 KiB) Viewed 899 times

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

There is a CLI binary pair (cwebp / dwebp) that I discovered that can convert images back and forth from .webp.

Works under Fossapup64 with JPG images anyway.

See https://developers.google.com/speed/webp
pointing to https://developers.google.com/speed/web ... recompiled

I just picked the Linux64 version, downloaded, Uextracted, found the cwebp binary, added in a JPG and ran ./cwebp input.JPG -q 80 -o output.webp

Still working to get it to go the other way (webp to jpg )!! but it does go back to .png : ./dwebp output.webp -o output2.png

Last edited by mikewalsh on Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Small spelling correction (reads better now)....
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Geek3579 :-

Code: Select all

./dwebp image.webp -o image.jpg

.....DOES seem to work for me. Yeah, I know; according to Google's notes it'll convert both PNG and JPG to WebP.....but only Webp -> PNG is mentioned. (Webp -> JPG still works, though.)

At least, for me it does. I think where you're going wrong is trying to change the name of the converted file AS it's being converted. I know you can do this with the "cp" or "mv" commands, but I don't think the webp binaries are set-up to work like that. I could, of course, be wrong. I frequently am! :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:35 am

./dwebp image.webp -o image.jpg

.....DOES seem to work for me. Yeah, I know; according to Google's notes it'll convert both PNG and JPG to WebP.....but only Webp -> PNG is mentioned. (Webp -> JPG still works, though.)

At least, for me it does. I think where you're going wrong is trying to change the name of the converted file AS it's being converted. I know you can do this with the "cp" or "mv" commands, but I don't think the webp binaries are set-up to work like that. I could, of course, be wrong. I frequently am! :D

Mike. ;)

Thanks for that. I will try it later. Its a solution that might well work.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Before I forget, thanks for tracking those down. It wasn't until I read the 'front page' that I realised that WebM & WebP appear to be part of the same project. The 'binary' that interests me is the 'gif2webp'; I'm curious to see how an animated WebP file compares to a normal GIF....

Ta! :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Some progress in the webp Seamonkey issue with version 2.53.15. When I downloaded the same webp file from somewhere else than the forum, Seamonkey put up a message asking if I wanted to save the file, or open it with a helper application. If I accept open with a helper application, and then choose Seamonkey as the helper application, then Seamonkey DID open the image. I could then choose to make that a permanent action, or leave it as a choice.

This is all well and good, and a step forward. Previously, I did not know how to add a mimetype/helper application to Seamonkey. Apparently this is the method.

BUT I still see a problem with Seamonkey identifying the filetype on the SMF forum vs the alternative host. Below I'm showing screenshots of how Seamonkey sees the same file on the original forum, and on a Zippyshare a free hosting site.

Note that the file is seen as an application/x-download on the free site, but now is a "WEBP file" on the original forum.

There is no choice on the original forum to use a helper application. Only downloading the file is permitted by Seamonkey. So there is still a problem in its knowing what to do with a "WEBP file", vs an application/x-download type

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

OscarTalks, has just provided a newly compiled Viewnior .pet that works in BP64 here:

https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 1&start=20

Thank you Oscar!

Now if I can only get Seamonkey to open them on the smf served forum, or at least offer to use a helper application to do so.....

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello:

Mike gave a good option in your case, but for me it doesn't work (xenial 7.5), so when I want to work with an .webp file I use three options:

1.- If I only need to look at it one time or two at a file I downloaded or someone sent me.- I right click on it and choose open with slimjet (firefox, chrome, iron...) or whatever browser.

2.- If I am going to take a look at a folder with a lot of files, I choose open by default with slimjet (ff, chrome, iron, brave....)

3.- When I need edition or other functionality.- I choose open with default editor (gimp for me) and work on it and I save the result in my prefered extension.

that works for me, and when u used to do this is really fast, haha.-

Have a nice day.-

waxman

Post by waxman »

i find with some websites, using firefox, I can view the image online.
The url says it is a .jpg but when I download the file it has mysteriously turned itself into a .webp.
My solution if I want to view the image offline is to convert the image using xnconvert.
The .deb file is availabke here;-

https://www.xnview.com/en/xnconvert/

Very easy to use.

regards

wiak

Post by wiak »

webp is pretty important nowadays. Make sure to install image viewers that support it (via suitable lib dependencies).

I use simple but great little sxiv viewer (runs from commandline but I make a right-click action for it in filemanager) - works great with webp animations.
I often also install geeqie, which is a fantastic, but not tiny, GUi image viewer.

Viewnior and gpicview are pretty basic and too limited really.

Some viewers 'might' be able to handle webp single image, but not animations, but sxiv and Geeqie do both. I think I put both in my KL releases - I'll have to double check...

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak in KLV mtpaint opens webp images so I just set run action webp to mtpaint

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:30 am

But I think the animations are more important really.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

wiak wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:54 am
rockedge wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:30 am

But I think the animations are more important really.

Under f96 mtPaint will also open .webp via Right-Click>OpenWith and of course you could "Set Run Action" so that just Left-Clicking will do so. But sxiv is a simple install via PPM. Its binary at /usr/bin can then be associated with .webp files either way.

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Looks like the package nsxiv which is a maintained fork of sxiv is in the Void Linux repos and looks promising as a webp tool

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

sxiv opened static .webp OK; but so does lazpaint and XnView Multi Platform. Although they have been reported to do so, I haven't found any application which would open animated .webps. [The KLV version may have been compiled to handle animation .webp]. To test, you can download free animated .webps from https://colinbendell.github.io/webperf/ ... /webp.html or https://mathiasbynens.be/demo/animated-webp.

AFAICT, gimp needs some plugin for animated .webps. It will open static ones, offering to convert to something else but AFAICT you can decline the offer. However, as-is, gimp will not export to that format.

Although the version of lazpaint I use is a portable* you can obtain a pet linked from here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 021#p75021. At 2.9 Mbs, it not only can be used to view static .webp files, but to edit them and save the edited version under many formats including .webp. [AFAIK, lazpaint is the only graphic application which can handle both raster and vector graphics. It employs layers to do that**]. I only wish I had a better understanding of how to employ its editing tools. :( Considering its size and capabilities perhaps it should be a 'builtin'.

-=-=-=-=-
* IIRC, I just decompressed the pet and located the decompressed folder on /mnt/home so that I could use the same one under many Puppys just by clicking the executable and/or installing a pet which would start it from its location.

** But see dellus' post, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 171#p79171 for which I don't have any explanation.

wiak

Post by wiak »

mikeslr wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:49 pm

sxiv opened static .webp OK; but so does lazpaint and XnView Multi Platform. Although they have been reported to do so, I haven't found any application which would open animated .webps.

Oh, that's a pity. I'm sure I used sxiv with libwebp a few years ago to play animated webp (via libwebp) using its -a option. I'll have to fix that in my KL releases.

Anyway, don't give up hope. sxiv is no longer developed but there is a fork called nsxiv and it definitely can play webp (via option -a for animations).

Only problem is getting a copy of it. I am testing it now in KLA-XFCEbase with webp animation and it works fine per attached video I made of it playing (video made with wex): https://mega.nz/file/aipRRRTS#YGA4-58hM ... hLnTDx5gZc

nsxiv can be compled of course or is available from Arch Linux AUR.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Here is my Arch Linux nsxiv binary. It works fine for webp animations also in KLV-Airedale (just put it in /usr/local/bin) and run animations with:

nsxiv -a name_of_animation.webp

Probably won't work in older distros though since likely needs compatible libs (but KLV luckily proved fine).c

Needs libwebp and associated tiny demuxer lib (forget the name) but KLV had them. Just use: ldd /usr/local/bin/nsxiv to see anything missing on your system.

Attachments
nsxiv.fake.tar
(102.43 KiB) Downloaded 30 times

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

rockedge wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:18 pm

Looks like the package nsxiv which is a maintained fork of sxiv is in the Void Linux repos and looks promising as a webp tool

Just checked pkgs.org. Only a few 'major distros' offer nsxiv. Of those from which Puppys are woofed, other than VoidPup, the closest almost match is the current debian sid. So its seems your choice, wiak's work and peebee's are ahead of the curve. :)

wiak

Post by wiak »

Turns out my memory has faded since I'd checked out sxiv itself before, a few years ago, and didn't get it to work with webp (but great nsxiv does!)

viewtopic.php?p=31881#p31881

But here is an alternative @stemsee told me about back then - the utilities come with libwebp:

viewtopic.php?p=31922#p31922

That's the trouble using forums as information store... the info gets lost and forgotten even by the original posters.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak I found in KLV that installing libwebp-tools with OctoXBPS will allow mtpaint to play the webp animations as well as display them as individual frames.

It is space saving having mtpaint as a good option besides the browser for viewing webp images and playing any animation.

Screenshot(2).gif
Screenshot(2).gif (398.03 KiB) Viewed 889 times
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I don't know how to use it*, but Krita supposedly can create/edit animated webps. AppImages are available which run under some recent Puppys. I can only confirm that Krita-4.4.3...AppImage can open the animated webs linked on this thread.

Edit Mar 23, 24. XnViewMP 1.4.3 properly displays animated webps.

* GUI looks a lot like Gimp.

Last edited by mikeslr on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

Viewnior open animations webp

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sofiya wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:22 am

Viewnior open animations webp

Probably they are all just using libwebp.

The reason I have been using sxiv for years (and now its fork nsxiv) is that it provides tons of other flexible options (man sxiv) and being a small commandline utility is great in scripts and also easy enough to create a yad or gtkdialog frontend for (and great as a right-click action for the likes of Thunar or pcmanfm, which is how I've been using it).

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

wiak wrote:

Probably they are all just using libwebp.

That's what mtpaint in KLV-Airedale is using.

I am playing around with qview installed from the Focal repo's on F96-CE_test with

pkg add qview
pkg add qt5-image-formats-plugins

Works great with animated webp but being a qt5 based appliance might be a size consideration.

Screengif.gif
Screengif.gif (356.71 KiB) Viewed 733 times

Return to “Tips & Tweaks”