SLC 64 Slackware current Woof-CE build Dec-2020

Moderator: Forum moderators

williams2

Re: SLC 64 Slackware current Woof-CE build Dec-2020

Post by williams2 »

xbacklight doesn't work in any of my Puppys.

adjbacklight always seems to work.
https://github.com/maandree/adjbacklight
32 bit adjbacklight works in BionicPup64 (it doesn't need 32 bit compatibility layer)

"In fact it seems to work for all machines with backlight, which is not true for xbacklight"

In BionicPup64 and, I think, FossaPup, maybe, I use the included script brightness-set.

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

norgo wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:26 am

difficult for me to reproduce without laptop
xbacklight version from iso

check /sys/class/backlight if there is an intel_backlight folder
create a config file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-intel.conf with following content and restart X-Server

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Intel Graphics" 
        Driver      "intel"
        Option      "Backlight"  "intel_backlight"
EndSection

Thanks, it worked fine

norgo

Post by norgo »

Clarity wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:05 pm

Hi @norgo

Question

• Does the "SLC64 REPO" do dependency checking for its packages?

No problems, just curious.

@Clarity
yes, slc64 repo contains the list of packages and theirs dependencies.
It's quasi a copy of the pet spec files.
For installed packages you can check dependencies via menu setup > check dependencies installed pkg

norgo

Post by norgo »

Application added ( Virtualbox 6.1.22 ) see main post

virtualbox 6.1.22
virtualbox 6.1.22
virtualboxx_6_1_22.jpg (37.25 KiB) Viewed 2719 times
norgo

Post by norgo »

Application added
( GPXSee 9.0 ) GPS log file viewer and analyzer that supports all common GPS log file formats.
( Sqlitebrowser 3.12.1)
Application updated
( Avidemux 2.7.8 )

avidemux 2.7.8 , sqlitebrowser 3.12.1 , gpxsee 9.0
avidemux 2.7.8 , sqlitebrowser 3.12.1 , gpxsee 9.0
diverse.jpg (58.89 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
norgo

Post by norgo »

Applications added
( wireshark 3.2.3 ) the world’s foremost and widely-used network protocol analyzer

( Pcmanfm-qt 0.17.0 ) nice, very fast and lightweight file manager (for more information see LXQT )
All components compiled from source in SLC64
installation of pcmanfm-qt and dependencies easy via package manager ( incl. pup-volume-monitor 0.2w , many thanks to wdlkmpx )
additional installation of gvfs from norgo repo recommended

pcmanfm-qt_0.17.0.jpg
pcmanfm-qt_0.17.0.jpg (86.88 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
norgo

Post by norgo »

Application update
( Seamonkey 2.53.8 ) compiled from source under SLC64
Please note, update of sqlite is required to run this seamonkey version.
Sqlite 3.34.1 and seamonkey 2.53.8 are installable via PPM from norgo repo.

To add language pack please use menu entry Desktop -> Language pack installer

@BarryK
many thanks for build documentation ( how to use rust )

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Just wanted to say "Thank you." Your post, viewtopic.php?p=36864#p36864 brought it to my attention. As I wrote on that thread, I usually stick to ubuntu/debian Puppies. But, as I mentioned elsewhere, Puppy is fortunate to have talented Devs working with Slackware and the Puppys they publish may provide superior graphics and sound. That appears to be true of your SL 64 Slackware Current Dec-2020. :thumbup:

Now to see to what extent my accumulation of portables are usable under it. Still, it's great to know that you have created many useful applications which can be installed or SFS-loaded.

For future reference. One thing I've noticed the absence of is that when a bash-script is Right-Clicked "Run in Terminal" is not offered as an option. I've installed radky's ListDD, http://www.smokey01.com/radky/. But to trouble-shoot portables which don't run both are needed.

Well, perhaps not needed; just helpful. I figured out that I could open a terminal in the bash-scripts folder and type, code:
./NAME-OF-SCRIPT

norgo

Post by norgo »

@mikeslr

thank you for your first impression.
Rightclick "run in a terminal" ... up to now never needed, but a nice feature.

Here still an important information.

When I created SLC 64, glibc 2.30 was the current version.
Meanwhile Slackware Current turned to version 2.33.
This means, cutting-edge applications from slackware current repo won't run anymore.
Glibc update is possible but dangerous too.

If you install apps via PPM make sure to choose the right pet.
Pets from norgo repo are compiled in SLC 64 and have mostly much less dependencies than the slackware packages.
Additional there is no glibc version problem.

Not all created apps are online. So let me know if you miss stuff

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

norgo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:35 pm

Not all created apps are online. So let me know if you miss stuff

In this or your newer offering (not sure of Slackware timetables), could QEMU V6+ be provided either in base or in Repo. Its use in Puppy is described here.

Thanks if you can.

norgo

Post by norgo »

Application update
( Seamonkey 2.53.10 ) compiled from source in SLC64
Please note, update of sqlite is required to run this seamonkey version.
Sqlite 3.34.1 and seamonkey 2.53.10 installable via PPM from norgo repo.

( mozilla-nss-3.72-x86_64.pet ) compiled from source in SLC64, installable via PPM

mozills-nss added

norgo

Post by norgo »

Application update
mozilla-nss version 3.74 ( installation via PPM )
avidemux version 2.8.0 ( installation via PPM )

Application added
google-earth version 7.3.0.3832
google-earth-pro-7.3.0.3832-x86_64.sfs

google_earth_pro_730.jpg
google_earth_pro_730.jpg (98.46 KiB) Viewed 2825 times
norgo

Post by norgo »

SLC64 has been published Dec 2020, state of glibc is 2.30.
Because slackware current is a rolling release, bleeding edge applications require glibc 2.35.
To run such applications update of glibc would be necessary.
An update of glibc is not harmless.

If you want to stay at glibc 2.30 I've created a package list of slackware64-current cumulative state Oct 2020.
This mens all packages of this list are compiled against glibc 2.30 or below and are full compatible to SLC64.
The pet adds the repo to PPM repo list.
Don't be afraid, after every update of PPM database the slackware cumulative package list will be restored.
Unfortunately packages list of slackware64-cumulative server comes without dependencies information.
If you want to know what package version has been changed, please look at /var/log/slackware-cumulative.log

cumulative-pkgs-0.4-x86_64.pet

Package is installable via PPM.

norgo

Post by norgo »

Application update
( Seamonkey 2.53.11.1 ) compiled from source in SLC64

seamonkey-2.53.11.1.jpg
seamonkey-2.53.11.1.jpg (12.71 KiB) Viewed 2703 times

Dependencies: at least Sqlite 3.34.1 and mozilla-nss 3.74 required to run this seamonkey version.
( All Packages installable via PPM )

norgo

Post by norgo »

Skanlite version 2.1.0.1

Works OOTB in SLC64 (all needed KF5 libraries included). Installable via PPM - Package size 4,4 mb

skanlite-2.1.0.1.jpg
skanlite-2.1.0.1.jpg (38.69 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
norgo

Post by norgo »

Application update
( Seamonkey 2.53.12 ) compiled from source in SLC64
Dependencies:
at least Sqlite 3.34.1 and mozilla-nss 3.74 required to run this seamonkey version.
( All Packages installable via PPM )

update
( mozilla-nss-3.78-x86_64.pet ) installable via PPM

mozills-nss added

eyespy

Post by eyespy »

Hi there everyone :thumbup2:

Please don't bite my head off this is my first post on this forum & my questions may be simplistic and annoying to some but I have been searching for a version of Puppy linux X64 that has Virtual-box bundled within it as I like the Idea of having a linux small Host OS. With this I can run many varieties of linux and mini-windows systems within a try-out basis until I find the most appropriate OS that serves my needs. This could in fact be a combination of Linux's as I suspect that there isn't one particular OS that will cover all the bases or other OS's for that matter.

Anyway I stumbled across this posting, & low & behold it has VirtualBox and a pretty contemporary version installed however there are lots of other programs that are installed that are not needed & make the iso fairly big, well relatively speaking anyway.

I have also whilst searching for this that many say it is not advisable particularly for beginners to try to remaster a Linux distro as I wouldn't know what files to delete and some of the files may have shared access and dependencies which could break the Puppy distro or break virtualBox, like throwing the baby out with the bathwater so to speak. I have heard and correct me if I am wrong, it is better to find the base variety of Puppy that you require and add programs as you need. Less chance of stuffin things up particularly in respect of this version.

To my question & I know this is a niche application, does anyone know where I could obtain a base iso without all the other programs except for needed dependencies, internet access & Virtualbox to reduce the footprint? Please any ideas or advice please would be appreciated :thumbup: or :thumbdown: ?

Kind Regards,
David :D

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

:welcome:

I suggest you be happy with the way it is now.

Even if you tried to remove everything you think you do not need.

The size would only go down by about 100MB.

I will bet you, at some point, one of those programs you removed, you will want to use or need. :shock:

Yes, you have to be very careful, what built in programs you try to remove, by using the remove builtin packages program and remastering.
Only ever try to remove programs that have a menu entry.
But even that advice is not 100% good.
Some programs are used by other programs and you just broke it.

For a gain of about 100MB of space. Why take the chance?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Ditto what bigpup wrote. But maybe this post will help explain why. https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 4070#p4070

The key to understanding it is that 'Actual Used RAM: 130 MB Used' means of all the RAM on the system only 130 MBs can NOT be used to manipulate information; that is it is being used to hold the instructions of the operating system and the application.

With only the operating system booted (no applications) 130 Mbs of RAM was 'unavailable'. LibreOffice occupies over 600 Mbs of RAM on storage. When SFS-loaded 176 Mbs of RAM was 'unavailable'. That was only 46 Mbs more than was required by just the operating system alone.

eyespy

Post by eyespy »

Hi bigpup & mikeslr, :D

Thanks for getting back to me & so quickly too I was not expecting a reply so soon. Yes I will take the advice of both of you, I had a nagging feeling that it would be the way you both have advised except for the ram allowance on different programs I had not considered that being a problem. Thanks for the web link mikeslr certainly an interesting read, best left to the professionals. Build a Distro up "Not" cut it down seems to be the way to go IF you must, & if it ain't broke don't try to amend it. I can always ignore the other UN-needed programs

Many thanks to both of you as too your advice it is much appreciated

Thankful Regards

David. :thumbup2:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@eyespy :- Hallo, and :welcome: to the "kennels"!

IIRC, several years ago - back when hardware was a lot less advanced, and resources were generally a lot lower, and Puppy itself tended to be built to maximize usage of those lesser resources - there used to be quite a number of "bare-bones" Puppies being produced, by forum members who recognized this fact.

It's the same "principle", in fact, that modern Slackware espouses even today. Right from the very beginning, Patrick Volkerding's "vision' for Slackware was to make available a basic OS that would only JUST make it to a working desktop. From that point on, the vision was that users should build the OS up to include whatever they wanted it to have.....but the onus was ON the users themselves to do so. In the early days, of course, if you wanted to be taken seriously by the community you had no choice but to compile & build all your own programs from scratch.....a principle that Slackware has continued to this day, resulting in a modern-day Linux community that regards it as perfectly normal to essentially build your own system to suit yourself. It also has to be one of the very few communities to have a huge archive of 'build-recipes' specifically FOR helping its users to compile with the least hassle (the well-known 'SlackBuilds').

Which may be why it has such a large & thriving community (mostly of long-term Linux users, it has to be said). Slackware's 'ethos' does NOT suit the majority of Windows 'refugees', most of whom are used to being able to do what they want with as little effort as possible.....and that's why, for most of these, distros like Ubuntu or Linux Mint, which contain everything including the kitchen sink - OOTB - are far more popular.

-----------------------------------

The principle behind Puppy has mostly always been to provide a very small, lightweight OS that nevertheless still contains everything OOTB to make it fully-functional on a day-to-day basis. This is why most of the included applications are very small & lightweight themselves.....and is why 'removing' them gains very little in the way of space savings.

As time goes by, of course, even what is today considered "basic" hardware would have been considered to be an absolute 'beast' of a machine in Puppy's early days. Our first computer, a Dell Inspiron laptop, bought back in 2002, came with a 2.2 GHz single-core 'Netburst' Pentium 4, 128 MB of RAM (yes, megabytes.....NOT gigabytes), and a 'massive' 20 GB hard drive! This was back in the days when Dell still sold direct to the customer, and this device cost us the best part of a grand!

It was so slow with Windows XP that watching paint dry would prove to be a more enjoyable pastime.....yet, at the time, we thought it was marvellous! :roll: :D

My current desktop, purchased 3 years ago at the start of the pandemic, is almost unimaginably powerful compared to that first Dell. An HP Pavilion, it has a quad-core Pentium "Gold" @ almost 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, and currently around 5 TB of storage. Okay, some of that I've added & upgraded since I got it, but in real terms it cost me considerably less than that first computer, and will run rings around the Dell, making it look like the snail it truly was AND leaving it standing in the dust performance-wise.

Unfortunately, with the way the modern internet is going you can't even get online without a reasonable amount of 'grunt' these days; websites run a ton of crap in the background, and browsers themselves are total RAM-hogs, BUT.......without a browser, online communities like this one wouldn't even exist. Swings & roundabouts, y'know?

Welcome to Puppy-land..! :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

DITTO to everything forum members has advised and added, here.

This is just a couple of summary additions to what is already contributed to help.

• (In my case) once my Host PC is operational as I ready for a VM launch, the PC is merely running at <1% "just to keep the lights on". Thus this is no impact to VM use.

• Forum distros RAM use is reasonably small and is smaller than Promox HOST if I should run it. This forum's @fatdog is one of the smallest RAM Host for these purposes, but, I like PUP-DOGs as well for my HOST, currently.

• If I am not running a HOST browser, my HOST RAM use is <1GB so this is and should be expected

• Most VM developers and users have PCs with a minimum of 4GB and larger. So this arrangement could yield 3-6 VMs active at the same time depending how you configure your VMs.

• I use QEMU because it is the smallest footprint with the greatest number of OOTB Virtual PCs that I can start via a Linux terminal.

• A QEMU virtPC is known to be the best performer for running VMs as it yeilds up to 99% of a similar bare-metal use

• I agree with your approach to a small host while letting the VMs do all of the heavy lifting as you can do multiples of these at will.

Further, I have tested @norgo SLC distros and find them an excellent selection while expecting that he continues to keep his distros up to date and current Slackware versioning as well.

Best of luck on your adventures with the many offerings this forum community brings to our attention.
:welcome:

P,S, Any forum user who wants all the performance benefits of KVM (ie QEMU) WHILE desiring to have the ease of GUI understanding as seen in the likes of Vbox and others VM managers, can installed LibVirt ("VirtMgr") to get the exact same granular imaging as sees by the other GUIs. FYI

eyespy

Post by eyespy »

Hi mikewalsh & Clarity, :D

Many thanks for your valid comments & in particular mikewalsh this:

Slackware's 'ethos' does NOT suit the majority of Windows 'refugees', most of whom are used to being able to do what they want with as little effort as possible.....and that's why, for most of these, distros like Ubuntu or Linux Mint, which contain everything including the kitchen sink OOTB, are far more popular.

I would have to say guilty as charged, believe it or not my working day to day OS is still XP even though all the security pundits say I am playing with a ticking bomb & to be fair, or in part there is something in what they are saying, but speak as you find I do not experience a lot of the security issues that are suggested, maybe I've just been lucky. However It comes to a point where drivers & yes modern hardware are not built/compatable for legacy systems like XP & <. I suppose I have been spoilt & have never had the need to build programs from the ground up. I have always liked the idea of minimal OS's or mini OS's for particular set of given tasks, hence the desire for a minimal Host-OS driver for a virtualmachine like VirtualBox. Virtualbox is only my selection because of the ease of use gui frontend as clarity has already suggested there are other alternatives.

Yes there are things like type1 Hypervisors that they say are quicker than type 2 Hypervisors free and otherwise but have you seen the size of these suckers & they seem geared for the commercial market not the home hobbyist & a lot of em are feature crippled, and guess which features are locked, Yep the ones you are going to need or want later's.

I suppose its the attraction of variety & the ability to run older varying types of OS's on newer hardware thats appealing, call it un-constraint, also IF you get infested with undesirable bugs you can dump the current image and be up and running fairly quickly. I have noticed outside of this forum I am not alone in this desire, a poor mans sleek virtual machine is requested often, I'm just surprised that that there are not that many or few to choose from apart from SLC_64 which seems unique in this respect (Using VBox).

P,S, Any forum user who wants all the performance benefits of KVM (ie QEMU) WHILE desiring to have the ease of GUI understanding as seen in the likes of Vbox and others VM managers, can installed LibVirt ("VirtMgr") to get the exact same granular imaging as sees by the other GUIs. FYI

@ Clarity - I did originally think of using Qemu but as you stated in your post script I'm not great with the commandline (which is going to need to change going forward) GUI's are better for me. Also would AQemu be an option for a frontend to Qemu not sure if there are any repository files for it though. It seems Clarity you have most of the bases covered in this area, "been there, done it, got the tea shirt", just a gentle suggestion maybe you could write a tutorial or Howto for those (using SLC_64 maybe or preferably the best way you have done this) wishing to follow this route but that obviously it is down to your own time constraints etc?

Anyway I appreciate all of your perspectives, it has given me a insight into the ethos of Puppy-linux & I would like to commend & thank the author of this distro irrespective of my mini-desires & as bigpup, mikeslr mikewalsh & Clarity have kindly advised "use as is" "learn to walk before running" is the best policy, sound advice.

Best Wishes & Regards,

David :thumbup2:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

believe it or not my working day to day OS is still XP

I don't usually need to use Windows...but when I do it's XP most of the time. And when XP runs in a virtual machine in VirtualBox or QEMU and has been really optimized it runs fantastic as a VM.

Security? The host (now) F96-CE and the router take care of security. Back as far DOS and all through Windows right into Linux I have run as root.
Still here.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Just a note about the pesky, unneeded applications:

SLC64's window manager is JWM. Puppy's devs have diverged as to which enhancements which are built into JWM. Some have radky's; others employ ptheming. I don't have a version of SLC64 I can boot into but think it may employ ptheming. Even so --if not already installed-- you can install radky's PupMenu-6.3.1, https://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html. It will enable you to 'toggle-off, toggle-on' whether an application appears on the Start Menu.

While I use it to 'toggle-off' applications I think I'll never use, I have launchers on panels to the application I frequently use, or like desktop snapshot utilities may want to start with a minimum of effort. My Taskbar and one panel hold about 18 launchers. It's rare that I ever have to use the Menu and that usually is to make some change in settings or customizations because I got bored. :lol:

eyespy

Post by eyespy »

:oops: Firstly apologies for not getting back sooner I have been looking at other varient Puppies within your kennel club & dog gone there are a lot of varieties but none as yet are like SLC_64 having a VM bundled within as yet. A regular Puppy Crufts show going on here as they say. ;)

@rockedge - Yep XP is for me a very good OS, shame it was not like Linux, open-source but I think a time is coming that it will be used less & less & back-filled with an alternative something more & more. This route I hope will ease this transition going forward. Some of the OS's for day to day usage I have looked briefly at the usual suspects Linux Mint, Zorin-OS, Linux-lite (which turns out to be not to be so lite) other candidates I have looked at are Q4OS (Debian I think) and Qubes from a security perspective but I think Qubes is more for advanced users. Also considered Hackintosh but seems suited to a given set of hardware, you build the PC around the OS it seems, I suppose it maybe conceivable that SLC_64 + VBox may over come this hurdle with the right settings just speculating?

Just Curious, as a slight tangent note what is peoples opinion of Paragons NTFS3, there seems to be some glitches (I suppose only to be expected, early days & all that. Do you think it will benefit, be a + or a - impact on Linux? Specifically will it have a significant impact on the footprint of the kernels of for instance of Puppy-linux?

@mikeslr - Many thanks for the link to the 'toggling' program indeed that will undoubtedly turn out to be very useful, I have downloaded it & it is ready to use. Any tips for installing onto a SATA 3 External USB configured hard drive for testing purposes?

I think for now the SLC_64 route is the way to go, Many Thanks Norgo for this release!

Stay Safe & Best Wishes,

norgo

Post by norgo »

@eyespy You are welcome
Yes SLC64 has a lot of applications I've never seen in other puppylinux distros. ;)

Topic virtualisation
beside Virtualbox I could offer VMware Horizon Client 8.0.0 sfs ( including pulseaudio, pavucontrol-qt ... ) all needed components compiled in SLC64
If somebody is interested in let me know.

vmware-horizon-client-8.0.0.jpg
vmware-horizon-client-8.0.0.jpg (37.85 KiB) Viewed 1989 times

Application update
google-chrome-110.0.5481.77-x86_64 ( dependencies - sqlite 3.34.1 required )

eyespy

Post by eyespy »

Hi Norgo :thumbup2:

A rare chance to thank the author in person much obliged & for the time consuming effort you have put into this release of Puppy-Linux. Hoping to ask a quick question presumably as a base iso that you have used to build from, with say SLC_64 + Internet access + a zipping tewl possibly. Then I could add the VBOX version SLS that is advertised elsewhere (virtualbox-6.1.22-144080-x86_64.sfs) in the case of Virtual-Box a purpose made variant. Don't worry if this is unduly troublesome for you but I just thought I would ask, irrespective of complexities, again many thanks I can personally appreciate the attraction of this particular Puppy Linux Distrib!

With the SLC_64 version can you tell me if you incorporated/bundled the guest additions in VBox?

Another question sorry - Do you mean VMware Horizon Client 8.0.0 sfs in addition to SLC_64 or as a separate distro with is option, but either way gets my vote. Maybe a variant of SLC_64 specifically built with VM's in mind I suppose the options are endless :shock:

Best wishes and regards

David :thumbup2:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

One of the great things of this distro for getting and running PCs virtually is that it offer several products for running VMs.

QEMU is one of them. Its simple, well-known, and runs with no overhead, via the Linux kernel supporting, such that its VM(s) run as fast or faster that the host PC for many/most workloads including those needs in development or test environments or alternate various uses`. This lets the user know what to expect when a VM distro is moved or done on PC bare-metal.

If a member needs the full compliment of VM management and wants to use open source that comes extremely close to the full ability of VMware's management, LibVirt is the answer.

QEMU is receiving recent attention in the forum as members are sharing their tests experiences. The benefit is others are able to replicate the EXACT Virtual PC by copying the QEMU commands (also called'stanzas') that members present when presenting to the community to see the EXACT same results.

The reason: Replication via the commands presented for review.

Thanks @norgo for all of the excellence you've presented us.

eyespy

Post by eyespy »

@Clarity :thumbup2:

Well yes you make a lot of really good valid points in the case for Qemu, also if, as you say many forum members are leaning towards Qemu (KVM) then whats not to like in the case you are making or putting forward?

I have only one reservation with Qemu & that is it's command-line only in its raw state, unless you bolt on a Gui-front end like AQemu. I have been looking at the LibVirt option that you have suggested but unable to work out if LibVirt is a front-end Gui manager for Qemu or it is a front-end program for many VM's as it can be used with various VM's as far as I can see. I know that for instance outside this forum there is a demand for this type of setup and "non-techie" individuals like myself shy away from non-gui command line so you could limit your exposure if Qemu remained in a command line format, just thinking outside the box/forum so to speak.

But whatever the case I suppose it boils down to whether norgo feels a "VMuppy" variant of a given type feels it is a worthwhile project to pursue, as for me, I am biased towards it (it gets my vote) & feel it would be positive, as I can testify I have searched a lot on the www for this kind of setup but to date only SLC_64 comes anywhere close.

I suppose being bluntly honest with you I would do it myself but am not equipped with the necessary skills to accomplish it & certainly not to the standard that norgo has achieved.

Just some additional ramblings

Best Regards,

Return to “Built from woof-CE Recipes”