Re: Slacko Puppy 7.0

Post by eddy_norton »

@HerrBert
Thank you very much

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

williams2 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:00 am

I am running BionicPup64 with 4GiB with no swap. Suspend works properly. As far as I know, Linux does not use swap for suspend, Linux does use swap for hibernate.

As an experiment I had a 240MiB swap file. Puppy typically used zero bytes of swap. Once, one day, it used about 100MiB of the swap file, I don't know why.

One of the changes introduced into woof-CE recently is the creation of a zram compressed swap device, if no swap partition/swap file is created by the user.

This means that a portion of your RAM becomes a highly compressed swap partition. Say, 256MB of your RAM, is worth 2x to 3x that amount of swap, so your browser can safely eat up 512-768MB of RAM. The size of this swap device is allocated dynamically, so this is not an upfront waste of "real RAM" that's useful only in rare situations.

This change is good because it makes systems with less RAM less prone to out-of-memory conditions (try a modern browser with 2 GB of RAM), makes such systems more usable, and does so without writing to disk (which can be a cheap SSD that might fail earlier than expected if it's used for swap).

When you're comparing Bionic to Slacko >= 7.0, don't forget to check what swap devices you have.

user1111

Post by user1111 »

Clarity wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:04 am
rufwoof wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:00 pm

kvm/qemu booted iso.

Can you share your QEMU command/screen that you used to boot the ISO you show.

Thanks

More often I use a template file, in which I set ISO=... to point at the iso file to be booted and that then runs something like .... (note that the iptables command is set to my router admin url i.e. it drops access to that from withing the qemu session. I'm running a amd system so the modprobe is kvm-amd instead of kvm-intel).

Code: Select all

iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.xxx.xxx -j DROP
modprobe kvm-amd
ISO=xxxxxxxxxxx
QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=alsa qemu-system-x86_64 \
 -full-screen \
 -k en-gb \
 -usbdevice tablet \
 -vga std \
 -full-screen \
 -smp 2 \
 -boot d \
 -machine type=pc,accel=kvm \
 -cpu qemu64 \
 -enable-kvm \
 -m 2048 \
 -soundhw ac97 \
 -device virtio-net,netdev=mynet0 \
 -netdev user,id=mynet0,hostfwd=tcp::2224-:22 \
 -cdrom $ISO 

I did try with -vga virtio initially, but that didn't work so I set it to -vga std. -soundhw ac97 works for me, for others it could be -soundhw all. I also tend to throw 2GB ram at it (-m 2048) as that's half my actual ram and is usually more than large enough for Puppy's. The -smp 2 matches the 2 cores on this laptop.

MHHP

Post by MHHP »

Hello!

I ran the GetLibreOffice-utility.

Writer works,
Calc Works,
Math works.

Draw complains about some lib, even though it is present in /opt,
Impress just refuses to run,
Base complains about JRE, even though I've loaded the JRE-.sfs.

I downloded with helppack= en_GB, langpack=en_GB, langpack=sv and writer considers text marked for swedish to have any and all horrid mis-spellings to be correct...

Any help on this ... ?

/MHHP

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@MHHP :-

Might be worth trying the LibreOffice AppImages. An AppImage is an 'all-in-one' item, containing everything required for it to run; you download it, make it executable (right-click->Properties; tick all 3 'Exec' checkboxes down the bottom->Refresh->Close), then just simply click to fire it up. (You can run these from literally anywhere, because they unpack into /tmp, and run from there for the duration).

These run pretty well in most Pups. Do bear in mind that since early last year, these have been 64-bit ONLY. You can no longer get these for 32-bit Puppies.

You can find 'em here:-

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/appimage/

'Fresh' is like a 'nightly' build, and is being constantly updated; it's like a 'snapshot' in time. 'Still' is what would be considered a 'stable' version. You can choose from 'Basic', 'Standard', or 'Full'.....it's all explained at the top of the page.

Here's the 'stable' page:-

https://libreoffice.soluzioniopen.com/stable-2/

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mmcdonald

Post by mmcdonald »

Thank you for this Slackopup. Using 32bit version.

Downloaded Wine pet. XP apps working well..

Need 32bit pets for Bleachbit, DOSBOX and Regina REXX or OOREXX.

Have been unable to use any Slackware 14.2 32bit packages. They install, menu item created but will not run.

Hoping to change to this pup as daily workhorse from Tahrpup.

Running 2004 Dell Lattitude D810 1.5GRam

Last edited by mmcdonald on Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
hinojojojo

Post by hinojojojo »

My first attempts with Puppy Linux were a couple months ago with Slacko 6 and loved it... so I was really was wishing Slacko 7 to come out.

I installed Slacko 7 on the first days of January, and has been running great. Just wanted to say: Thank you so much for this beautiful puppy!
The only problem I rain into was that my computer was not able to boot from the USB live, so I had to copy the files manually for the installation. I cannot complain about this because it is not a problem if you know how to do it.

This was on a Dell Optiplex 980.

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

@MHHP

There is a dependency to 'avahi' on recent LibreOffice versions so Draw and Impress don't work in Puppy OOTB.

There is a workaround for this problem:
https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/gl ... 01408.html

MHHP

Post by MHHP »

@mikewalsh
@HerrBert

Thanks! Problem solved.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

HerrBert wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:38 am

@MHHP

There is a dependency to 'avahi' on recent LibreOffice versions so Draw and Impress don't work in Puppy OOTB.

There is a workaround for this problem:
https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/gl ... 01408.html

.....which explains why I've never encountered the problem, personally..!

I'm a long-term Epson printer user (I'm talking at least 20+ years). 'Avahi'/'libavahi' is an integral, built-in part of the Epson printer/scanner software for my machines. I first heard rumours about this on the forum quite some time ago, but it never affected me. There's also the possibility it's partially to do with this being a Slacko Puppy; 'buntu Pups come with everything including the kitchen sink, by default. Slackware's conservative legacy means the cupboard tends to be rather more 'bare', OOTB.

Mike. ;)

Weten

mouse and touchpad settings mystery

Post by Weten »

Hello.
I tryed Slacko 7 few days ago and i discover very funny and annoing bug. I have old IBM thinkpad r52 with some tuneup like 2gb ram, ide ssd, unofficial bios etc. There is missing link from puppy setup to mouse configuration (i need it, because i want to use tap to open function on touchpad). Simply i click here and nothing.. I dont know if this is my fault, but in applications menu it works properly. What happened here! :lol:
Thank you for helping me, to keep such a respectable old piece of iron alive.

zigbert

Post by zigbert »

Slacko 7 on a brand new Tuxedo laptop (Polaris 15) - I am getting emotional... :)
Thank you Mick!

Good news
- Boots straight to desktop with a Nvidia geforce 1650 TI - I didn't expect that!
- Battery status works!
- Sound works after selecting the correct choice in the sound card wizard (sound was directed to hdmi).

Things to work on - Help required
- Wifi doesn't work (Wi-Fi 6 AX200). Fixed by kernel 5.4
- The keys for screen brightness doesn't work (F6 and F7), and redshiftgui.sh misses redshiftgui. Didn't work even after installed redshiftgui from PPM. Also tried to adjust the brightness from the Xorg video wizard without any luck.
- Touchpad is not working, and I could not find the info about the model. Fixed by kernel 5.4
- Sound is working, but the new "sound card wizard 2" does not respond. Requires link to dash. The equalizer-button tells that alsa equalizer is turned off. This is not the case as pEqualizer is working as expected.
- Tried to install Gimp, but only an older version is available via PPM. Gimp.org uses flatpak, but this is not available in Slacko 7. Fixed by using appimage https://sporing.posten.no/sporing/370722150462092170
- Though the Nvidia geforce card works, am I not able to use an external screen. There are 1 hdmi and 2 display-ports, but I have only tried the hdmi (in lack of cable for display-port). The "Monitor settings" in the setup menu shows only the laptop screen. Is there any places to look for a Nvidia driver package?

Hoping for some help to get me going into this new era

Last edited by zigbert on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
norgo

Post by norgo »

@zigbert wrote
"Sound is working, but the new "sound card wizard 2" does not respond"

"sound card wizard 2" is a dash script but dash is not installed by default in slacko

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@zigbert - I think you need firmware from here (goes in /lib/firmware): https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kerne ... 0-48.ucode

Sage

Post by Sage »

Any chance one of you gurus can assist with my (p5) enquiry, please:

No idea about Slackware kernels & co., but in BK's Easy + Puppy precusrors he has drivers for P54USB (Prism54 802.11g/ ISL3880/90; UR054g 802.11g Wireless Adapter [Intersil ISL3887]) both installed and activated. Is this possible for Slacko7, please? Slacko7 seems to recognise the unit(?) but not active. If the answer is yes/yes, could one of the gurus explain exactly how to install/activate, please? I mean an idiot's guide not just generalisations!

zigbert

Post by zigbert »

norgo wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:01 am

"sound card wizard 2" is a dash script but dash is not installed by default in slacko

Made a link and it works.

ln -s /bin/bash /bin/dash

Still some issues with the equalizer button.

Thank you!

zigbert

Post by zigbert »

ozsouth wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:49 am

@zigbert - I think you need firmware from here (goes in /lib/firmware): https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kerne ... 0-48.ucode

Followed your advice, but still no wifi device detected. I see that Wi-Fi 6 AX200 refers to kernel 5.1...
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... eless.html
...So that lead to the next challenge. How to use one of these huge-kernels.sfs. There exist one for 5.4 that might be suitable for me. I tested 01micko's script "change_kernels" without luck. Do anyone know about any documentation of this item?

Thanks you!

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@zigbert - you may benefit from mick's 5.4.86 kernel - probably still need firmware. Can check for missing firmware by running in a terminal:
dmesg | grep irmware
& googling for any missing.
My latest kernel post shows the manual kernel-swap method. Is here: viewtopic.php?p=11220#p11220

Last edited by ozsouth on Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Sage - I'm right now connected with a Netgear wg111v2 usb wireless adaptor, using P54usb driver. All I needed was the firmware file (goes in /lib/firmware) attached below. Remove .fake.gz from filename first & add file BEFORE plugging in adaptor.

Attachments
isl3887usb.fake.gz
remove .fake.gz
(29.04 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Last edited by ozsouth on Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
zigbert

Post by zigbert »

ozsouth wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:49 am

@zigbert - you may benefit from mick's 5.4.86 kernel - probably still need firmware. Can check for missing firmware by running in a terminal:
dmesg | grep irmware
& googling for any missing.
My latest kernel post shows the manual kernel-swap method. Is here: viewtopic.php?p=11220#p11220

Thanks a lot!
Have now managed to switch to the 5.4 kernel, and both wifi and touchpad works. Will test more to night when I am back home. This is running forward...

Sage

Post by Sage »

Many thanks, oz - will do. Does the residual file take a file extension?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@zigbert :-

With regard to the G.I.M.P being an 'older' package from the PPM - doesn't surprise me - have you tried the AppImages?

There's a guy called 'aferrero2707' who maintains a series of AppImage builds over at Github:-

https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases

Newest available currently is 2.10.23. Download; make executable; click to fire up. I've been using these for quite some time, and they run flawlessly. Your choice, of course.

Hope that helps.

Mike. ;)

zigbert

Post by zigbert »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:10 pm

With regard to the G.I.M.P being an 'older' package from the PPM - doesn't surprise me - have you tried the AppImages?

Thank you - works great! The latest reports error regarding GEGL, but others runs well...

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

zigbert wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:43 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:10 pm

Thank you - works great! The latest reports error regarding GEGL, but others runs well...

Mm-hm. Yeah, I got the same complaint myself when I tested it out a week or so back, so I rolled back to the previous build; I always keep the most recent 2 or 3 versions anyway. AFAIK, I think Fossapup is the only one I've seen so far that offers 2.10 from the repos; everybody else is still offering 2.8.

With these AppImages, I've been running 2.10 for well over a year already and, to date, every one of 'aferrero's builds has just fired straight-up in Puppy. No fuss at all.

Mike. ;)

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Sage - no file extension. Just remove .fake.gz & place in /lib/firmware as-is.

zigbert

Post by zigbert »

Nvidia driver install party - with poor luck

- Driver installs without error (using the run-script provided by Nvidia), but won't run X

This is the ending of the Xorg.0.conf. Have anyone experienced something similar?
Thanks for any help!

[  2066.038] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to assign any connected display devices to X screen 0. 
[  2066.038] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     Set AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration if you want the server
[  2066.038] (EE) NVIDIA(0):     to start anyway
[  2066.038] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failing initialization of X screen
[  2066.145] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
[  2066.145] (II) UnloadSubModule: "glxserver_nvidia"
[  2066.145] (II) Unloading glxserver_nvidia
[  2066.145] (II) UnloadSubModule: "wfb"
[  2066.145] (II) UnloadSubModule: "fb"
[  2066.145] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
[  2066.145] (EE) 
Fatal server error:
[  2066.145] (EE) no screens found(EE) 
[  2066.145] (EE) 
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support 
	 at http://wiki.x.org
 for help. 
[  2066.145] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
[  2066.145] (EE) 
[  2066.158] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What exact Nvidia driver package?
Did you let run package compiling process configure xorg.conf or did you run xorgwizard to do that?
The Puppy xorgwizard program is the only one that will properly setup the xorg.conf

I just installed a Nvidia driver and am now using it.
It compiled for me.
Had the Slacko 7.0 devx and kernel_sources-4.19.164-slacko64.sfs loaded.

I did it by this method:
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=123
Used the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-455.45.01.run package
After Getnvidia completed the driver compiling and closed to the prompt.
Entering xwin did not work.
Did have to run xorgwizard and manually set the nvidia driver, resolution, and color depth.
After xorgwizard completion.
xwin at prompt booted to working desktop using the nvidia driver.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

zigbert

Post by zigbert »

Thank you for a very informative answer!

bigpup wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:50 am

What exact Nvidia driver package?

I have tested 3 different drivers which all supports the Geforce 1650 TI card.
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-450.102.04
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-455.45.01
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-460.32.03

Did you let run package compiling process configure xorg.conf or did you run xorgwizard to do that?
The Puppy xorgwizard program is the only one that will properly setup the xorg.conf

I have tried both, but after some reading, I skipped using the nvidia-Xconfig utility. xorgwizard made all the changes to xorg.conf. Also tried to edit manually.

Had the Slacko 7.0 devx and kernel_sources-4.19.164-slacko64.sfs loaded.

My system benefits of the 5.4.86 kernel, so I use the Slacko 7.0 devx and kernel_sources-5.4.86-slacko64.sfs

I did it by this method:
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=123

Me too, after fiddling by myself for some hours, I found your excellent guide.

Used the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-455.45.01.run package

Why did you end up with this one, and not one of those LTS drivers? I had of course to test also this one, since you've succeeded with it

After Getnvidia completed the driver compiling and closed to the prompt.

Check

Entering xwin did not work.

Check

Did have to run xorgwizard and manually set the nvidia driver, resolution, and color depth.

Check

After xorgwizard completion.
xwin at prompt booted to working desktop using the nvidia driver.

Failed to load X

It must be said that this laptop was delivered with Tuxedo-OS (ubuntu), and this system runs the nvidia-450 driver.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

@zigbert try running

nvidia-xconfig

before starting X

Return to “Slacko”