Bullseye build script

a very small Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux.

Moderator: fredx181

backi

Re: Bullseye build script

Post by backi »

@spotted wrote:

Could you tell me where all your apps are, I might be missing something I could use.

Maybe have a Look in usr/local --or ----usr/local/ bin -----could be what you are looking for.....not sure if this is what you are looking for.

Regards !

Or maybe usr/share/applications -----or /opt.

spotted

Post by spotted »

Hi backi
I mean in his web page, https://debiandog.github.io/doglinux/

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

spotted wrote:

I cannot get a clipboard app to work, I want to have clipboard in my tray.

I would use parcellite, install with synaptic or apt.

About applications, perhaps you mean custom packages repository index for bullseye ? it's here (64-bit): https://doglinux.github.io/bulldog/amd64/

EDIT:

I would like to have Rox filer as a option for a file manager but debian version is no where as configurable in Fatdog. Although a single pane app, I like the way it works. With caja or pcman one has to go clicking all over the place to bring up two panes anyway, might as well use Rox.
Can you tell me how to build a rox filer like in Fatdog.

I know little about Rox, sorry, perhaps someone else can help.

spotted

Post by spotted »

Hi fredx,
I have parcellite installed, it dont work!! But now not needed!!

root@live:~# parcellite
Looking in '/etc/xdg/parcellite/parcelliterc'
"appmenu-gtk-module"

However I had another go at 'clipit' and it is 'living in the past' and this time it installed 'Diodon' for me, it works, have diodon in the tray so that is that one fixed, thanks.
Yep, this is what I was looking for, bookmarked.
https://doglinux.github.io/bulldog/amd64/

fredx181

Bullseye ISO with kernel 5.18 from backports and firmware (squashfs) from Bookworm

Post by fredx181 »

Bullseye ISO with kernel 5.18 from backports and firmware (squashfs) from Bookworm: DebLive_Bullseye-k-5.18_amd64.iso / md5
(for more modern computers)
EDIT: Also added link on top of first post.
EDIT2: The bullseye-backports repository is enabled by default (in /etc/apt/sources.list)
For those who prefer the "stable" (bullseye) Debian release (perhaps better for you @soniabu ), but need to run with a newer kernel and new firmware.
(Bookworm might be too new and perhaps unreliable for some, and has (too) many updates almost everyday).

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Downloaded the ISO file to SG2D. Booted to desktop with NO issues directly from its ISO file.

Thanks @fredx181.

You could post this ISO on its own thread as many could find favor with this recent distribution. This post's title doesn't indicate the availability of this bootable distro's ISO.

I was searching for some catchy name to offer: DevLiveDOG64, DebbyDog64, DebDogLive64, DLiveDog64, BullsEyeDog64, ???

Duprate

Re: Bullseye ISO with kernel 5.18 from backports and firmware (squashfs) from Bookworm

Post by Duprate »

fredx181 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:49 pm

Bullseye ISO with kernel 5.18 from backports and firmware (squashfs) from Bookworm: DebLive_Bullseye-k-5.18_amd64.iso / md5
(for more modern computers)
EDIT: Also added link on top of first post.
EDIT2: The bullseye-backports repository is enabled by default (in /etc/apt/sources.list)
For those who prefer the "stable" (bullseye) Debian release (perhaps better for you @soniabu ), but need to run with a newer kernel and new firmware.
(Bookworm might be too new and perhaps unreliable for some, and has (too) many updates almost everyday).

Hi! I downloaded the ISO version and updated my installation. It is a good alternative for some users who have a certain resistance to doing the installation using scripts. Working perfectly, everything in order! Good job Fred! :thumbup2:

Attachments
DebianDog.jpg
DebianDog.jpg (113.38 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Duprate wrote:

Hi! I downloaded the ISO version and updated my installation. It is a good alternative for some users who have a certain resistance to doing the installation using scripts. Working perfectly, everything in order!

Hi Duprate, I see you did swap the included kernel with v5.19, I guess you did perhaps by using @wiak's WDL system of creating initrd, but not really sure.
All respect for your creativity, but need to say that some things in the system will be broken because of that (e.g. save2flash (save on demand or at shutdown), remaster scripts, sfsload and more..).
There's a way to swap the kernel and still keep things compliant with the "porteus-boot" system by running the script '/usr/local/cr-initrd/mkinitrd' after you "installed" the new kernel (as found in /lib/modules), just run the script from terminal and type or paste the kernel version you wish to create a initrd1.xz for (and when done, copy it to the "live" folder (along with the matching vmlinuz for the new kernel).

Just FYI, if you're happy with how you did, fine of course ;) .

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Greetings, Fred! Thank you for the information. I will test the "sfsload" and also the '/usr/local/cr-initrd/mkinitrd' script. Actually, I'm using @wiak's WDL on this and other installed systems. I have my own way of doing things and I'm not very orthodox, I'm insistent and I never give up, until it works! Cracking the system is part of the long process to make it work. I never use savefiles and my most used apps are the ROXapps or AppImage type. Maybe that's why I never had any problems. Problems I would have if other users wanted to do the same, went wrong and asked me for technical support..... :mrgreen:

Just do as you teach and everything will work out! The star here is your good work, always up to date and working just fine, Fred! I admire your willpower to continue with optimism, in the face of life's mishaps! :thumbup2:

Attachments
apps.jpg
apps.jpg (145 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

That's one of the differences between Debian Dog and Puppy.

Puppy is designed so you can only set it up in a way that works, but in Debian Dog you are free to create any SFS files you want and load them in any order you want no matter what it breaks. :thumbup:

ralcocer

Post by ralcocer »

I tried to install my live system but I get this error

[sorry directory /mnt/live/mnt/sde/live not found the first time I tried this]

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

ralcocer wrote:

I tried to install my live system but I get this error sorry directory /mnt/live/mnt/sde/live not found the first time I tried this

Again, you win the prize for the most unclear question//report, congratulations!

ralcocer

Post by ralcocer »

I am trying to do Full Install of bullseye using debdog-full installer amd I

get sorry directory /mnt/live/mnt/sde/live not found

and stops.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

ralcocer wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:30 am

I am trying to do Full Install of bullseye using debdog-full installer amd I

get sorry directory /mnt/live/mnt/sde/live not found

and stops.

It can only install to a numbered partition sdeN (not sde) e.g. sde1, sde2 etc... if you don't have such partition, run Gparted and create it.
I just tested making a full install on an USB drive and selected sda4 and works (see pic below).
But note that the full installer isn't much tested and doesn't support UEFI boot, (legacy boot only, using grub4dos), I ran it from a booted Bullseye frugal install, perhaps you booted from cd ? Need more info to be able to help.
EDIT:

/mnt/live/mnt/sde/live not found

On second thought : Looks like a different problem, it's trying to find your 'live' folder but cannot, is it on sde not e.g. sde1 ? Again, need to know more exact info about your situation.

2023-03-07_12-00-38.png
2023-03-07_12-00-38.png (99.33 KiB) Viewed 830 times
dcung

Post by dcung »

mklive for Bullseye, BusterDog, StretchDog failed to run.

I guess this is also related to (?)
- Debian has now a separate repository for nonfree firmware: non-free-firmware
viewtopic.php?p=84286#p84286

Code: Select all

2023-03-20 08:25:17 (99.1 KB/s) - ‘debootstrap_1.0.89_all.deb’ saved [66500/66500]

(Reading database ... 38392 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack debootstrap_1.0.89_all.deb ...
Unpacking debootstrap (1.0.89) over (1.0.89) ...
Setting up debootstrap (1.0.89) ...
Setting up debootstrap in bullseye/chroot
This may take a while...
I: Retrieving InRelease 
I: Checking Release signature
I: Valid Release signature (key id A4285295FC7B1A81600062A9605C66F00D6C9793)
Failed to install the base system
This can happen sometimes, please try again, exiting now...
root@live:/mnt/sda4/Bullseye 2023-03-20# 
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:43 pm

mklive for Bullseye, BusterDog, StretchDog failed to run.

I guess this is also related to (?)
- Debian has now a separate repository for nonfree firmware: non-free-firmware
viewtopic.php?p=84286#p84286

No, not related I think, bullseye (and older) doesn't even have "non-free-firmware", only Bookworm and Sid.
I tested mklive-bullseye and went OK, so... don't know, strange, anything different in your setup that may possibly cause it ?
And did you try again later ?

dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:48 am

No, not related I think, bullseye (and older) doesn't even have "non-free-firmware", only Bookworm and Sid.
I tested mklive-bullseye and went OK, so... don't know, strange, anything different in your setup that may possibly cause it ?
And did you try again later ?

I did try in the morning and afternoon.
After reading your post. I tried again, and still failed.
So, I switched laptop, and tried again...and...it works. It just completed a build without issue.

I will look into the 'problem' laptop tomorrow (not that I know what to look for).
I didn't think it was the 'laptop', as I just used it to build Sid & Bookworm few days ago.
Hence, the wrong assumption.

Thanks for testing and clarifying that it's got nothing to do with the "non-free-firmware" Fred.
Off to bed shortly.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@dcung If you want, you can try by editing mklive-bullseye, around line 980, download and install much newer debootstrap version 1.0.123 and see if that possibly fixes it.
(but to be honest, small chance IMO)
Replace with this:

# download and install v1.0.123 debootstrap deb
wget --no-check-certificate http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debootstrap/debootstrap_1.0.123+deb11u1_all.deb -O debootstrap_1.0.123+deb11u1_all.deb
dpkg -i debootstrap_1.0.123+deb11u1_all.deb

EDIT: Just like you I tried a path with a space (Bullseye 2023-03-20) and failed too, but different (error code 1):
(edit; need to mention that I used v1.0.123 debootstrap deb)

I: Extracting mount...
I: Extracting util-linux...
W: Failure trying to run: chroot "/mnt/live/mnt/nvme0n1p3/Bullseye 2023-03-20/bullseye/chroot" /bin/true
W: See /mnt/live/mnt/nvme0n1p3/Bullseye 2023-03-20/bullseye/chroot/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for details
Failed to install the base system
This can happen sometimes, please try again, exiting now...
root@live:/mnt/live/mnt/nvme0n1p3/Bullseye 2023-03-20# 

So, building in a path with one or more spaces in directory name seems not supported, didn't realize that :oops:
edit: removing the space and build again fixes it in my case (Bullseye2023-03-20), so I suggest you try that first instead of changing the debootstrap version.
edit again ;) now tried with unedited script (installing the older debootstrap version) and with the dirname with space ((Bullseye 2023-03-20) I get exactly the same error as you got.
Not sure if it's possible, e.g. by editing the script in some way that it supports dir name with spaces, don't know how atm.

dcung

Post by dcung »

fredx181 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:38 am

So, building in a path with one or more spaces in directory name seems not supported, didn't realize that :oops:
edit: removing the space and build again fixes it in my case (Bullseye2023-03-20), so I suggest you try that first instead of changing the debootstrap version.
edit again ;) now tried with unedited script (installing the older debootstrap version) and with the dirname with space ((Bullseye 2023-03-20) I get exactly the same error as you got.
Not sure if it's possible, e.g. by editing the script in some way that it supports dir name with spaces, don't know how atm.

Glad that you figured it out :thumbup: . Would have driven me nut, not knowing.
This also confirm that my brain/fingers inconsistencies! I used space instead of hyphen in that instance (for all three Bullseye, Buster, Stretch).
When I switched laptop, guess what I did? (No prize for this...Yes, I put the hyphen back unconsciously -> therefore, built successful) :oops:

In the 'problem' laptop, I already tested, putting/renamed Bullseye 2023 -> Bullseye-2023 and build went okay.
I haven't tested Buster/Stretch, but expect the same resolution.

2023-03-21-034029_503x410_scrot.png
2023-03-21-034029_503x410_scrot.png (61.96 KiB) Viewed 622 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

dcung wrote:

When I switched laptop, guess what I did? (No prize for this...Yes, I put the hyphen back unconsciously -> therefore, built successful)

At least you are learning ;)
But seriously, it shouldn't happen, ideally should work with spaces in path, perhaps can be considered as a bug in debootstrap.

fredx181

Updated Bullseye build script

Post by fredx181 »

*** Updated Bullseye build script ***
New attached at first post .
2023-06-04, fixed that the debootstrap .deb wasn't found (was version 0.89 which is removed from Debian pool), now will download and install v1.0.114

Return to “DebianDogs”