xenialpup 7.5 (32bit) and xenialpup64 7.5 (64bit)

Moderator: Forum moderators

April

Re: xenialpup 7.5 (32bit) and xenialpup64 7.5 (64bit)

Post by April »

xenial wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:32 am

@April
If the system is working well then why update the kernel which could introduce issues or are you one of these people who thrive on strife in life. :? Kernel update is usually to cure a known issue not cause them. ;)

I did not mention updating the kernel in that way .
I seek to be informed about newer puppies with later kernels that contain firmware for more devices .

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

xenial

Post by xenial »

April wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:18 am
xenial wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:32 am

@April
If the system is working well then why update the kernel which could introduce issues or are you one of these people who thrive on strife in life. :? Kernel update is usually to cure a known issue not cause them. ;)

I did not mention updating the kernel in that way .
I seek to be informed about newer puppies with later kernels that contain firmware for more devices .

Well just use a newer puppy as you were advised in an earlier post.
Why make a mountain out of a molehill.??.

That would be the best course of action. :thumbup:

April

Post by April »

xenial wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:15 am

Well just use a newer puppy as you were advised in an earlier post.
Why make a mountain out of a molehill.??. What prompts these sorts of responses from you. I'm not making anything out of anything . I'm asking a bloody question !. Go take a shower or something.
That would be the best course of action. :thumbup:

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@xenial / @bigpup / @mikeslr :-

April will apparently only be satisfied with a direct response from Phil B himself. Nobody else, it seems, will do.

Best keep out of it, guys; avoid this thread for the time being. I'm going to.... He/she has made it abundantly clear they don't want answers from anybody else.

I don't need my head bitten off.

Mike. :|

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@April Are you looking for certain firmware?

I think you should try what @dimkr mentioned. Run woof-CE and build a brand new Xenial-7+ with a kernel you already know has the right kernel for what you are looking for.

It would most likely be as an up to date xenial system as you can get. Add a 4+ kernel and it should run some browsers

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

I thought about criticizing both dimkr & rockedge's suggestions since Ubuntu Xenial Xerus's repos have been archived.

Had a fleeting thought about xenial joining april in the suggested shower which was quickly followed by one of the possibility of april then having to update her announcement. :lol:

Concluded that MikeWalsh's suggestion "Best keep out of it, guys;..." made the most sense.

Regrettably, neither he nor I were able to follow that sage advice. :roll:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mikeslr doesn't matter if the repos are archived. It would only possible to get what ever the last versions are anyway. I don't think she'll want to hack in any significant libc if it is possible at all, but a really fresh one would be the model to start on.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Looks like it's not that easy. After cleaning up the configuration files (for example, to remove things that conflict with today's rootfs-skeleton), the keyboard and the mouse don't work under X. And it looks like there is some problem with the ancient udev, which doesn't load any drivers. And even after the /dev/input device nodes are in place, after the drivers are force-loaded, input still doesn't work under X.

Investigating, I'll probably have more time to work on this during the weekend.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

dimkr wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:28 am

Looks like it's not that easy. After cleaning up the configuration files (for example, to remove things that conflict with today's rootfs-skeleton), the keyboard and the mouse don't work under X. And it looks like there is some problem with the ancient udev, which doesn't load any drivers. And even after the /dev/input device nodes are in place, after the drivers are force-loaded, input still doesn't work under X.

Investigating, I'll probably have more time to work on this during the weekend.

So if this is rebuilt with say glibc 2.28, I wonder how many of the original builtin applications will work (I guess most will work without updating to newer application versions). Anyways, should be interesting to see what can be achieved.

April

Post by April »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:59 pm

@xenial / @bigpup / @mikeslr :-
April will apparently only be satisfied with a direct response from Phil B himself. Nobody else, it seems, will do.Best keep out of it, guys; avoid this thread for the time being. I'm going to.... He/she has made it abundantly clear they don't want answers from anybody else.
I don't need my head bitten off.
Mike. :|

Bit dramatic Mike . That's not the case at all mate.
I looked at Xenial and knowing nothing about the production of Puppies and the intricacies of kernels I though "I wonder if a newer Xenial is possible . ? I'll ask. The two later issues mentioned ,Fossa and the other I tried and they did not work well for me .
I'm thinking of updating my wireless adapter is all but I've been caught before with that lark.
BTW "released 24/11/2017" in first post here means it turns 5 in November doesn't it?
So its 4 1/2 years old not 6. When you said that I thought gezzus it cant be that long can it?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Although Xenialpup was published 11/4/2017, it is binary compatible with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS AKA Ubuntu Xenial Xerus . Binary compatible means it was woofed using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS' binaries, and to provide download access via Puppy Package Manager to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS' repositories. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS was released on 4/21/2016. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases. Subsequent releases --e.g. 16.04.1-- were essentially 'bug fixes and/or security updates' not fundamentally different from the original publication. End of 'Standard Support' took place in April 2021. [I think the End of Life Date of 2026 is a notice of when Ubuntu will cease providing any security updates for 'Enterprise-level>used as servers by Web-hosts?].

At any rate, Ubuntu Xenial repos are no longer maintained as active repos, search-able via https://packages.ubuntu.com/. Plugging the name of an application --e.g. gimp-- and selecting an OS version -- e.g. impish-- there will lead to a web-page from which the binary can be downloaded and where its dependencies are listed and linked to, e.g. https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/gimp. AFAIK, Puppy Package Manager may make use of that information or perhaps that found in a binary's control file.

The binaries of Xenial Xerus and their dependencies are now archived here, http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/. AFAIK, there is no Search Engine, no list of what files are needed by any other files. If you know what you need, you can find it by burrowing into the sub-folders where in a sub-folder, for example, you'll find all versions of libao-common_1.0.0-4_amd64.deb ever published http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/p ... iba/libao/.

Good luck trying to flesh-out your operating system with applications you need to preform the tasks you want.

Alternative to woofing a new Xenialpup: Swap Xenial's kernel (5 minutes). Use its builtin Applications. (0 minutes). Use the new Web-browers available on the Forum. (Estimated download and set-up time, 10 minutes). Use other applications built for Xenialpup or 'No-Arch' available on the Forum (estimated time, same as preceding) and some AppImages which will function under Xenial. (Can't estimate time: some --e.g. LibreOffice, Gimp-- will work OOTB; others may require testing multiple versions until an Old version is found which functions, or you conclude none will function or you give up). When and if Xenial is no longer able to use current web-browsers or access web-sites, create a chrooted Web-browser running a current Puppy as the chroot. (Estimated time 2 hours).

Alternative 1.5: Swap the kernel. Update Xenial's utilities, e.g. Radky's JWMDesk, rerwin's networking applications. Change the Wallpaper and add some new icon themes. It's surprising how much better one feels with a new outfit or face-lift. :lol: Use nicOS-Utility-Suite's Remaster to Remaster. After remastering, you can keep xenial's utilities up-to-date by installing followed by using nicOS-Utility-Suite's Save2SFS. Prefer SFS and portables Web-browers as these are frequently updated and don't have to occupy your SaveFile/Folder. Used incrementally, Save2SFS takes just a couple of minutes. For all intents and purposes you now have a new Xenialpup, fleshed out just the way you like it, usable until web-sites no longer allow access.

Alternative 2: If your computer will support it, frugally add a new Puppy. Estimated time (exclusive of download) 20 minutes. Boot into Xenial for what its best at; boot into the new Puppy for what it's best at. Note, to a large extent portable-apps and to some extent AppImages can be shared.

Edit: See my post 2 down from here

Last edited by mikeslr on Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JASpup

Post by JASpup »

I'm having trouble getting the standard VPN utility to work in 64-Xenial (works in 32 and 64-Fossa), explained with a working alternative here: http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.p ... 35a#p54247

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Well, knowing that there's a difference between theory and practice got the better of me. So I spent some time Updating Xenialpup64 per the suggestions above. Then continued until I was satisfied with a workable alternative and one which actually won't take someone else very long to do. And I should mention that the 'revised' Xenialpup64 is as fast to boot-up, open applications, and shut-down as it previously was.

xen64-K5.15.30-64oz.png
xen64-K5.15.30-64oz.png (316.27 KiB) Viewed 2427 times

I replaced the kernel with oz's 5.15.30.
I wanted to update to rerwin's latest versions of networking tools. But for reasons beyond me they didn't work OOTB. Probably could be diagnosed and fixed. But why bother when the originals worked.
Since I primarily use portable web-browsers (any of which could be located in /opt) I only wanted to replace the original palemoon so that I'd have something current I could use booting pfix=ram. Rather than doing a remaster, I mounted puppy_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs, copied it to a folder named xenialpup64, deleted palemoon and repackage it with packit.

Booted into xenialpup64 with its 'revised' base file and installed josejp2424's midori from the Additional Software Forum. Works a treat. Small, responsive, able to play youtubes OOTB. Quirky. And as I just discovered one on its quirks is that copy/paste URLs doesn't work. But I'm posting from it now so, as you can see, it handles logins and attachments. [Other browsers are still available via Quickpet etc.]

The original xenialpup64 already had a nice set of icon themes. But to spruce it up, I added pwidgets-2.5.8, not the latest version as that would not display analog clocks. Also installed the latest versions of radky's tools. sct_dcontrol enabled creating the gold background for the taskbar. I think the built-in JWMDesk enabled the creation of a 2nd hideable panel. The newest version certainly does. [If you want to spend the time to do it, you can install radky's PupControl. Then toggle-off most of the other tools which show up on the menu to configure your OS. PupControl provides a far more modern-looking way than a cluttered menu]**.

Installed grub2config. Installed the NicOS-Utility-Suite. Used the builtin Menu-Manager to toggle-off the menu-display of unwanted applications such as grub-legacy and Remaster.

Then ran the nicOS-Utilty-Suites Save2SFS and created a ydrv_xenialpup64_7.5.sfs. Rebooted pfix=ram. And, as aforesaid, I'm posting from it now.

All applications --from quickpet or otherwise-- which do not require glibc higher than 2.23 can still be used. And those requiring glibc higher than 2.23 still can not.

** Using a Web-browser other than midori to provide this link to a post showing PupControl's GUI, viewtopic.php?p=47373#p47373

gychang

No prun ?

Post by gychang »

I am using XP32 and there is no prun command installed and there is no prun on PPM. How can I get it installed?

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

gychang

Post by gychang »

I reinstalled frugally and now I have the prun..., not sure what I did wrong initially.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

forthuser

Post by forthuser »

mikeslr wrote:

The real threat to Xenial's immortality is the age of the glibc it uses. glibc is a 'foundation' system upon which other systems and applications are built and rely.

Added glibc 2.33 to the Xenial32 Puppy build.
See post in russian forum
Sorry (Auto translate)

if you added glibc 2.33 library files to the Puppy assembly
and at the same time, when the system started, the icons on the desktop became in the form of a warning sign with a question,
and the icons did not appear on the taskbar, what is this “effect” and how to fix it??
(and the background of the working field became gray)

P.S. At the same time, the system itself is working with the added glibc 2.33 and in the start menu the icons are in place, except for additional dialogs.
What's interesting about JWM that fell off this time? :)
(maybe the icons themselves became unavailable due to some file flag)

[spoiler=Auto translate]

viewnior /path-to-file/file.jpg

Yes, in general, this helped to understand the reason for not displaying icons on shortcuts, but first, when starting the program itself
I needed the library libexiv2.so.26 (compiled 27th),
and then as it turned out, when this program tried to view a randomly selected shortcut on the desktop of the Calc program
and going to the place where it is actually stored and there already executing the command to display it showed
that in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ there should be a cache or probably a symbolic link pointing to gdk-pixbuf-2.0
and in it /2.10.0/ with loaders and loaders.cache (which was not there), and the workspace screensaver in /usr/local/jwmdesk/preferences/
(launchbar_preset and motif_style) appear when you select the desktop screensaver in JWM.

P.S. I reverse-packed the SFS file from the directory using the PADS-1,1,7.pet program (and the Xdotool32.pet module)
required for the program to work through calls in the context menu.

Most of the programs and libraries used in the system are linked to glibc, so when
When updating the glibc version in new distribution releases, this software is rebuilt with the new glibc:

This is generally understandable and can be the subject of careful consideration if possible, but since Glibc versions
“run in” to identify “errors” and bring it to the standard specified use,
then the versions of Glibc themselves have been tested on different software, but in the Linux OS there are also dependencies on different and other library modules used.

Perhaps it makes sense to publish this version of Xenial Puppy with the added GlibC 2.33 and some other libraries.
Wine built by ScPup started. I think it could be useful for other Poes too. :)
[/spoiler]
puppy_xenialpup_7.5.sfs (32-bit)

I'm currently running kernel 5.4.158-oz-pae (i686) in Xenial32 7.5
And I change the size of the Ram disk space

Code: Select all

mount -o remount,size=8G /initrd/mnt/tmpfs 
Amol

Post by Amol »

Thanks forthuser for the oldtimer puppy lovers !
Amol

forthuser

Post by forthuser »

Amol wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:07 pm

Thanks forthuser for the oldtimer puppy lovers !
Amol

Thanks. :)
New autotranslate message from russian language

I made a small “DownGrade” assembly based on Buster32 (Debian),
namely, replaced server-org 20.4 with the assembled version 18.4 (with drivers from Xenial 7.5)
in this build on the built-in i915, the HardInfo GPU test showed me 13678, and in pure Xenial 7.5 - 16768
Xorg.0.log in general, it seems, did not show any special errors (located in the /usr/var/log/ directory)
and also added the assembled Glibc-2.38 (possibly “crooked” because HardInfo shows version 2.33),
and also file names from Bionic because took the kernel from BionicNG with the LXDE shell
(with the ability to switch to JWM, but when switching there are some diagnostic messages)
in the adrv_ file there are two FireFox 116 browsers with Ublock and FreePlanet VPN and Light plugins
In the LXDE shell I also use mainly Rox-Filer with switching to display small icons in it,
and I use the standard file navigator to open disks and quickly navigate through them.

P.S. From what I noticed, for some reason PaleMoon, unlike FireFox, does not save downloads, but what’s interesting in terms of speed is even
somewhere it bypasses FireFox. :)
In general, this “hodgepodge” turned out to be quite interesting, but probably requires some more edits,
If someone tests it, then I would be interested in opinions/conclusions, etc., regarding the launch both on “old” hardware and in terms of the “responsiveness” of i-net browsers.

http://sendfile.su/1676473 (archive size ~500MB of which file with additional browsers adrv_ ~100MB)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@forthuser :-

...and also added the assembled Glibc-2.38 (possibly “crooked” because HardInfo shows version 2.33)

Very much doubt it. More likely you simply forgot to swap the /usr/bin/ldd file for the one that belongs with the newer glibc. This caught ME out several times, until jamesbond pointed out where I was going wrong.....because /usr/bin/ldd is the file that is called when you enter

Code: Select all

ldd --version

....in the terminal to get the glibc version. EVERY build of the glibc has its own individual copy of this, specific TO that particular build. It's all too easy to overlook it, and miss it out by mistake.

Mike. :)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

forthuser

Post by forthuser »

Thanks @mikewalsh
Yes, this unclear moment has been clarified
namely, that in the assembly above Glibc is not 2.38, but version 2.33 because at boot they are included from the ydrv_ file (LXDE shell)
and it probably doesn’t even get to the point of including files from puppy_ at the download stage, but in this combination it’s even
somehow it works.

Return to “Xenial”