Abiword - not my friend ...

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

cobaka

Abiword - not my friend ...

Post by cobaka »

Dear fellow puppians!

I hate Abi-Word. Do not use Abi-Word (or Abiword).

Here is my story ... I wrote a good number of documents using Libre-Office. In a moment of madness I 're-arranged' the Pup-save file and Libre-office became 'the disappeared'. I didn't notice that. Using ROX, I pointed and clicked on a file/essay, 'e42_on Motive.odt'. When it opened ... I noticed the font was a little different (& a few other things). Strange. Anyhow ... edit, edit, edit. Then, in the upper left of the window I saw the Abiword icon. Too late! I had already edited (and saved) the file.

Quickly I shut down AbiWord and installed (or re-installed) Libre-office. After that I tried to open my work. Bugger! I saw this error message!

Read Error.
Format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 416,87(row,col).

My problem isn't that I used AbiWord. My problem is that AbiWord is the default word-processor and when I pointed & clicked it opened and wrecked my essay. bugger! bugger! bugger! Abiword is as dangerous as a loaded gun without a safety catch.

Puppy Linux - Man's best friend.
Puppy Linux - лучший друг человека.

AbiWord - a good tool to destroy hours of work without even trying ...

Это правда

СОБАКА

собака --> это Русский --> a dog
"c" -- say "s" - as in "see" or "scent" or "sob".

williwaw

Re: Abiword - not my friend ...

Post by williwaw »

Quickly I shut down AbiWord and installed (or re-installed) Libre-office. After that I tried to open my work. Bugger! I saw this error message!

Read Error.
Format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 416,87(row,col).

can you reopen in abiword and save in a different filetype that libre may be able to read better?

cobaka

Re: Abiword - not my friend ... (closed)

Post by cobaka »

@williwaw

Your Q:

can you reopen in abiword and save in a different filetype that libre may be able to read better?

My answer: No. I can re-open but the file is truncated at (probably) the first line.

BUT (for the moment) it is possible I have the work on another drive. I need to check dates, file-sizes and so on. I may have lost nothing.
[Later] I found a back-up file. I lost nothing. The moral: back up your files. Virtue is it's own reward.

Thank you for your interest.
This is an important file - and not for me alone.

СОБАКА

собака --> это Русский --> a dog
"c" -- say "s" - as in "see" or "scent" or "sob".

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

I save word processing in .doc, .rtf, or .txt no matter what app or os I'm using and have not come across your problem yet.

I became a Libre fan weening off MS Office before realizing I'm just using Write or Calc 90% of the time, so Abiword and Gnumeric are a fresh alternative. I will stay .doc or .xls 'til death.

Putin, 67, appears to have the obsolete Microsoft Windows XP operating system installed on computers in his office at the Kremlin and at his official Novo-Ogaryovo residence near Moscow, according to images released by his press service.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... cking-risk

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

sj60

Post by sj60 »

I hear you @cobaka and feel your pain.
Take for example the way this forum is set up behind the scenes -- I have only posted twice but each time for some reason it times out and I have to log back in and in doing so my most recent 'thoughts' have all been lost and I have to retype them in, or save draft continuously then go through some levels of menus to find my draft again and start from where I left off. Although not at the same level of pain as your recent experience with abi word the loss of productivity and the hoops you have to go through is :evil:

Return to “Beginners Help”