Atlantis Word Processor

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

Atlantis Word Processor

Post by amethyst »

Excellent programme. Provided as sfs-addon (3MB). To run: Load sfs > executable will be at /Atlantis/awp.exe
Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TxoS2t ... sp=sharing

Attachments
Atlantis.png
Atlantis.png (60.8 KiB) Viewed 2609 times
Last edited by amethyst on Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Flash

Re: Atlantis Word Processor

Post by Flash »

So this word processer is for Windows but you tested it in WINE?

Chaos coordinator :?
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Yes, I made an sfs to run in Puppy as a Wine application that's why it's listed under the Wine topic. Perhaps make a submenu under the Wine topic for Wine progs? Added the operational instructions to the first post.

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Besides needing to somehow inform would-be users that Wine is necessary, you might also
want to check with the owners of the software as to the legality of including the registered
version! I'm of the mind that this borders on software piracy, unless you can include the
appropriate redistribution license, it may be removed. I checked on the site itself, and they
do have a "free" version, named Atlantis Lite...so including a fully registered copy of the
program may not be allowed. One more thought...$35 is quite expensive for a word processor,
even for Windows...I've got a couple of free ones, but I rarely use word processing nowadays.
Geany in Puppy works well enough for my needs, LOL!

Signature available upon request

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I have no problem with removing it from this forum. Can not be downloaded from this site directly though so it's just a link for those who are interested. Free version does not have all the goodies. Geany is a text editor not a word processor. Use it or lose it. If the moderators want me to remove the post, I will. Are you a moderator?

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Yes, I am a moderator...trying to keep an open mind though. The reason I use Geany is because I
no longer work in a field that requires the use of full featured word processor...I have MS Office 2007
on another laptop, but most of my needs now consist of short letters to family, sent via email.
If I did need something more, I could also login to my MS Onedrive, with access to Office Online.
Wiz

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Wiz57 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:31 pm

Yes, I am a moderator...trying to keep an open mind though. The reason I use Geany is because I
no longer work in a field that requires the use of full featured word processor...I have MS Office 2007
on another laptop, but most of my needs now consist of short letters to family, sent via email.
If I did need something more, I could also login to my MS Onedrive, with access to Office Online.
Wiz

The reason why I'm presenting it is because: Abiword has never been the most stable application; the other options in this category are huge in size, ie. OpenOffice, etc. There are small "word processors" like TED but they are generally more in the category of notepads/text editors. Anyways, your call to delete or not.

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

amethyst wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:40 pm

Wiz

The reason why I'm presenting it is because: Abiword has never been the most stable application; the other options in this category are huge in size, ie. OpenOffice, etc. There are small "word processors" like TED but they are generally more in the category of notepads/text editors. Anyways, your call to delete or not.

I would say maybe try packaging up the completely free Lite version...I read on the site
that the option to use the shareware then paid for premium versions are in the menu options.
That way, you don't run afoul of redistribution/licensing issues. The light version may be all
that many require. Re: Abiword...yeah, it has been a tad unstable the last few releases,
and there really aren't that many what you term word processors for Linux, don't know why??
There have always been freebies available for Windows, even back in Win3X days, and prior
to those there were a few for DOS.
Wiz

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Wiz57 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:51 pm
amethyst wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:40 pm

Wiz

I would say maybe try packaging up the completely free Lite version...I read on the site
that the option to use the shareware then paid for premium versions are in the menu options.
That way, you don't run afoul of redistribution/licensing issues. The light version may be all
that many require. Re: Abiword...yeah, it has been a tad unstable the last few releases,
and there really aren't that many what you term word processors for Linux, don't know why??
There have always been freebies available for Windows, even back in Win3X days, and prior
to those there were a few for DOS.
Wiz

I've removed the words "registered version" from the first post......Can still remove the post if you want to.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Just like to say thanks for calling Atlantis to our attention. This is a really great program and that's not even considering its diminutive size. Does everything you could ask for of a Word-processor. AFAICT, about the only included things which didn't work was the ability to send emails, or register. It did download the dictionary it uses to spell-check.

As I keep all portable XP programs in a folder on /mnt/home, I deconstructed your SFS. Had I not done that maybe the following caution wouldn't be necessary. I found the spell-check dictionary in a folder in /root/Atlantis. Also there was a Documents folder which I assume was Atlantis's default. You can change the latter under Tools>Options. In Frugal Puppy 'installs' /root is in RAM and anything 'stored' there will be lost unless you execute a Save (to storage /SaveFile/Folder). I recommend moving the entire Atlantis Folder from /root to /mnt/home and symlinking it back.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

This is the license agreement for both versions the full or lite.

The full complete version.
available for you to evaluate for 30 days.
But if you want to continue using Atlantis Word Processor beyond the 30-day evaluation period (starting with your first day of use).
You will have to register your copy of Atlantis Word Processor.

The Atlantis Lite version, you can use it, without having to pay to keep using.

Atlantis Word Processor License Agreement

Atlantis Word Processor (the "Software"), is protected by copyright which is vested in The Atlantis Word Processor Team.

This License Agreement (the "Agreement") is a legal agreement between you ("Licensee"), the end-user, and The Atlantis Word Processor Team.

By using the Software or storing it on a computer hard drive (or other media), you are agreeing to be bound by the terms of this Agreement.

If you do not agree to the terms of this Agreement, you must delete the Software from all storage media.

You may install the Software and create as many copies of the Software on storage media as you wish.
You may redistribute the Software freely on on-line services, bulletin boards, or other electronic media as long as the files are distributed in their entirety. The Software may not be distributed on CD-ROM, disk, or other physical media for a fee without the permission of The Atlantis Word Processor Team.
You may not alter the Software in any way, including changing or removing any messages or windows.
You may not decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble or otherwise reduce the Software to a human perceptible form. You may not modify, rent or resell for profit the Software.
You may not create derivative works based upon the Software without the permission of The Atlantis Word Processor Team.
You may not publicize or distribute any registration code algorithms, information, or registration codes used by the Software without permission of The Atlantis Word Processor Team.

The software is provided to licensee "as is". All express or implied conditions, representations, and warranties, including any implied warranty of merchantability, satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement, are disclaimed, except to the extent that such disclaimers are held to be legally invalid.

In no event will The Atlantis Word Processor Team be liable for any indirect, punitive, special, incidental or consequential damage caused by the software (including loss of business, revenue, profits, use, data or other economic advantage).

Atlantis Word Processor
Copyright © The Atlantis Word Processor Team
All rights reserved.

I would contact The Atlantis Word Processor Team.
Show them what you have done and see if they have any issues with it.
They may be interested in what you did and how you did it.
Maybe something they may want to do.
They do say they are looking into offering Atlantis in a Liunx version.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I downloaded the free lite version off the website. It runs really well in WINE. I didnt extensively test it or which functions might not work in the lite version. But if you have WINE installed for other reasons, adding this would be worthwhile. Its obvious somebody put lot effort into this. Its worth trying if you need a small word processor.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Deleted

Last edited by amethyst on Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mouldy wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:28 pm

I downloaded the free lite version off the website. It runs really well in WINE. I didnt extensively test it or which functions might not work in the lite version. But if you have WINE installed for other reasons, adding this would be worthwhile. Its obvious somebody put lot effort into this. Its worth trying if you need a small word processor.

This is the idea, many of us are sitting with Wine already installed but it's totally underused. There are some great Windows programmes that can enhance ones computing experience. I run about 20 windows programmes with Wine and made my own launcing script as you can see below.

Attachments
Launcher.png
Launcher.png (35.09 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
wiak

Post by wiak »

Though I don't myself do so anymore, in days gone by I used to install Wine simply so I could get IrfanView - possibly the best image viewer (with editing facilities too) there ever was.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Okay, I've included the English spellcheckers in the sfs-addon. Seems to be working for me. See first post for new download link.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I've checked the features of the free Lite version and to be honest it seems quite functional to me and adequate for the average user. The only feature that really will be missed and is important, is the backup feature it seems. I've been using full older versions of this application for years and in the past the free version was not so good, missing important stuff. So, this new lite version looks good too. If you are worried about copyright issues, use the lite version instead.

keniv

Post by keniv »

amethyst wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:19 am

BTW - it's already "registered".

I tried your .sfs linked to the first post. All I did was to go through the set up routine, tried a little typing but did not save a document, then tried to exit. I was presented with a box asking me to register (see attached image). It does not look as it's "already registered" or am I missing something.

Regards,

Ken.

Attachments
AtlantisExit.jpg
AtlantisExit.jpg (25.6 KiB) Viewed 2400 times
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

This SFS is the full version and it requires registration and some money to keep using it.
30 day evaluation period to try it.

The lite version is free to use.
Does not require registration or any money.
But it is limited in features.

I suggest making this SFS the lite version

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

dellus

Post by dellus »

Neither the free light nor the full version saves as odt, so a no go for me.
Also, in the free version you can't place an image on the page freely, only along with text flow. This is even possible with abiword, despite it's other shortcomings. A no go too.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Some Linux users are vehemently anti-Windows, and won't even have WINE on their systems, convinced it opens up infection vectors.The fact of the matter is that Linux & Windows both have their strengths, as well as weaknesses. Certain apps/programs run far better under Windows. Others - generally open-source projects - are superior when run in their natural environment (and that is often Linux).

The GIMP is one such project. In Linux, it's a smooth, effortless experience. The Windows port is often a clunky, awkward, even 'painful' experience....though this is only one example.

Many of the Windows 'PortableApps' run extremely well under WINE, I think in large part due to having their own, self-contained 'mini-registry', that is not linked to the main Windows registry in any way, shape or form.

I've always taken the view that it's pointless being so dogmatic about what you'll use that you end up shooting YOURSELF in the foot. Use what works for you; if that means a mixture of Windows/Linux/perhaps self-compiled apps/programs, so be it.

It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

keniv wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:54 pm

I tried your .sfs linked to the first post. All I did was to go through the set up routine, tried a little typing but did not save a document, then tried to exit. I was presented with a box asking me to register (see attached image). It does not look as it's "already registered" or am I missing something.

Regards,

Ken.

Try the new download link in the first post, please.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:06 pm

Some Linux users are vehemently anti-Windows, and won't even have WINE on their systems, convinced it opens up infection vectors.The fact of the matter is that Linux & Windows both have their strengths, as well as weaknesses. Certain apps/programs run far better under Windows. Others - generally open-source projects - are superior when run in their natural environment (and that is often Linux).

The GIMP is one such project. In Linux, it's a smooth, effortless experience. The Windows port is often a clunky, awkward, even 'painful' experience....though this is only one example.

Many of the Windows 'PortableApps' run extremely well under WINE, I think in large part due to having their own, self-contained 'mini-registry', that is not linked to the main Windows registry in any way, shape or form.

I've always taken the view that it's pointless being so dogmatic about what you'll use that you end up shooting YOURSELF in the foot. Use what works for you; if that means a mixture of Windows/Linux/perhaps self-compiled apps/programs, so be it.

It's nothing to be ashamed of.

Mike. ;)

Best of both worlds. :thumbup2: Also, the newer WINE versions run apps smoothly and quickly. BTW - I've found that many windows portable apps write stuff to the windows registry anyway.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@amethyst :-

Downloaded the 'lite' version, installed it under version2013's Wine 3.3_v2 (I have an "external" install of this on a remote partition, sym-linked into multiple Puppies), knocked up a Menu entry for it, and am currently testing it in Sailor Enceladus' Slacko 571. Looking good; fast, light on resources, prints out OK. Nice one.....though in all honesty, with 32 GB RAM even current Word would seem lightweight. Anyway; cheers for the link!

I'll give anything a try, no matter how big or small. There's some real undiscovered 'gems' out there, if you're prepared to look for 'em. (I'm one of those who even like Jarte, 'specially with the 'clickless' operation switched on.....)

TBH, I think there's probably more of us use WINE than would care to admit. (*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

dellus wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:58 pm

Neither the free light nor the full version saves as odt, so a no go for me.
Also, in the free version you can't place an image on the page freely, only along with text flow. This is even possible with abiword, despite it's other shortcomings. A no go too.

Their site claims odt files are supported but I guess it's read and convert only.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Their site claims odt files are supported but I guess it's read and convert only. Are there actually any other word processors that save to the Open Office format?

http://cowlark.com/wordgrinder/index.html

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

This is interesting, I edited my post (deleting the part about whether there are other word processors which can save to the odt format) before your post. So don't know how it's possible that you could quote the original post but not the edited one. Strange. Anyways, I see Abiword can also save to odt.

dellus

Post by dellus »

Softmaker Freeoffice supports odt saving. I still use an older version as my favorite light word processor. It just misses docx format. Later docx was added but odt dropped sadly. The present version supports odt again, according to their website, but it's not light anymore.

keniv

Post by keniv »

amethyst wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:44 pm
keniv wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:54 pm

Regards,

Ken.

Try the new download link in the first post, please.

Unloaded the version of the .sfs file I had and deleted it. Also deleted /Atlantis. Downloaded a new copy of the .sfs from the link in the first post and loaded it using SFS-Load-on-the-fly. I get the same result as before when I try to exit. Also noticed at the top of the page in the box in which the document name appears it says "unregistered copy". Can I ask anybody else that is using this downloaded .sfs if they see the same thing.

Regards,

Ken.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

You may have messed things up with previous Atlantis files in /root/ .wine if you have saved your session before (it happened to me too). To check - Do a "clean" reboot (no savefile/folder only the Puppy OS files) . Then load an sfs Wine module and then the Atlantis sfs. The English spellcheckers should work and the application registered. This new sfs is self-contained and all the necessary files are included so there shouIdn't be any prior Atlantis files on your system. I've tested it on a clean install and it works.

Return to “WINE 32 Bit”