[CLOSED] ScPup64 SlackwareCurrent Woof-CE build 06-Aug-2022

Moderators: peebee, Forum moderators

peebee

Re: ScPup64 SlackwareCurrent Woof-CE build 16-Feb-2022

Post by peebee »

Maybe it is time to be prudent and leave psip out of the build........... if it is there then it should work of course............

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

norgo

Post by norgo »

here a static version
psip-1.41-s-x86_64.pet

watchdog

Post by watchdog »

norgo wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:25 pm

here a static version
psip-1.41-s-x86_64.pet

It works with diamondcard.us and Scpup64. Thanks.

watchdog

Post by watchdog »

No go for me.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

watchdog wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:16 pm

No go for me.

OK, thanks for testing. I have taken those down then.
Statically linking anything you need, as Norgo has done, is probably the best way forward.

EDIT:- Building PSIP with the components I use, I find that trying to statically link older openssl libraries does not work for me (pjproject still does not recognise it). In any case, this method increases the size of the psip executable considerably, so as an alternative I am trying with older openssl version 1.0.1u or even 1.0.2u with building the shared libraries and including those in the package. These older versions of libcrypto and libssl become real libraries which overwrite symlinks to the newer libraries. In fact these libraries may be better than the symlinks anyway, for other older programs in Puppy which might not like being linked to the mismatched newer library versions. So I have re-uploaded some experimental psip packages which hopefully should work when doing tasks that require openssl support. If anyone feels like testing these out, feel free.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/psip-1.4 ... -scpup.pet (64bit)
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/psip-1.42-i686-scpup.pet (32bit)

The snags with psip are symptomatic of the fact that modern Puppies are a mixture of some newer and some older packages and programs. Leaving psip out of the build recipe is an option if it can be installed from some repo, but if you play around with it you realise that psip is a rather nice beast. An alternative strategy would be to ensure that, where needed, older versions of libraries such as libssl and libcrypto are retained in system alongside the newer versions.

icake

combo live cds with 4-in-1 Chinese input platforms based on ScPup32 and ScPup64 22.02_0-T systems

Post by icake »

Based on the ScPup32 and ScPup64 22.02+0-T systems(by peebee), I have installed suitable icake Chinese language pets and remastered 2 combo live cds (size around 400mb each)with 4-in-1 Chinese input platforms(each with over 20 Chinese input methods).

64 bit: icake64-scp220200-est-fisy.iso
32 bit: icake64-scp220200-est-fisy.iso

I. At bootup, user can select:

1. Chinese input method platform from: (fcitx, ibus, scim or yong)

2. user interface language from: (English, Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese)

II. So the maximum number of live systems that can be created from a single combo iso is: 12 = 4 (Input Platforms) X 3 (User Interfaces)

III. The names of the icake combo live cd contains the following information:
1. System architect:
icake64 - for 64 bit systems
icake32 - for 32 bit systems

2. Puppy English system used: scp220200 is ScPup22.02+0-T

3. Language for user interface

e - English
s - Simplified Chinese
t - Traditional Chinese

4. Chinese input platforms included (each comes with more than 20 different Chinese input methods):

f - fcitx Chinese input platform
i - ibus Chinese input platform
s - scim Chinese input platform
y - yong Chinese input platform

For more information about the Chinese input platforms used: viewtopic.php?t=297

To download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/icakec ... isy_combo/

icake
Apr 5, 2022

peebee

Re: ScPup64 SlackwareCurrent Woof-CE build 06-Aug-2022

Post by peebee »

ad16694c7af4b44b1849365d6e485735 ScPup64-22.02+4-T.iso

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Hi Peebee! I have installed and am testing ScPup64-22.02+4-T.iso. Very good system, easy to customize, everything working. Using the window manager jwm and, when browsing the internet and scrolling the image quickly with the mouse, the screen remains perfect without stuttering (characteristic of derivatives of Slackware) and FatDog64. :thumbup2:

However, in Debian derivatives when doing the same procedure, a diagonal tear appears very quickly. I tested this on several Debians. I don't think it happens with all types of monitors.

In conclusion, ScPup64 is a great option, very fast, light and I recommend it to everyone who hasn't tried it yet. :thumbup:
I also tested it in overlayfs mode, with kernel 5.10.150 and it did the best! I also tested using LibreOffice, Gimp, Clamav and Firefox. PhotoShop and other programs and games using wine. I regret not using it earlier.

Note: I haven't tested the devx..... :roll:

williams2

Post by williams2 »

a diagonal tear appears

If you are using Xorg,
you could try enabling the Tearfree option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

That is change this:

#Option "TearFree" "true"

to this:

Option "TearFree" "true"

I seem to remember that it works with the Intel video driver,

Also do you have dri enabled? (in xorg.conf)

jh4x0r

Post by jh4x0r »

This is the ugliest pup I have ever seen. Theming could be improved.

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

jh4x0r wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:47 pm

This is the ugliest pup I have ever seen. Theming could be improved.

Everyone arranges their dog however they want! Bathing, brushing the fur, brushing the teeth, cutting the nails, putting on clothes.... :mrgreen:

Attachments
xscreenshot.jpg
xscreenshot.jpg (114.65 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
ozsouth

ScPup64 Slackware Current - a new user

Post by ozsouth »

For the first time in 3 years, I installed ScPup64 for a new user. My 84 year old friend's 12+ year old Win7 pc was substantially virused & was so slow. Having just 2Gb ram didn't help. As he basically just surfs a little & checks his yahoo mail, Puppy was a great improvement. I set up dual boot, with Puppy first, & have included anydesk in case he gets stumped & my brief notes aren't enough. It has Firefox & wpsoffice. Even runs his old HP F series printer. Alternative Win11 pc or a modern ipad was over $1000 aud (more than a fortnight's pension here in Oz). He couldn't believe that he wouldn't need kaspersky antivirus any more (it failed to completely clean his Win7).
Thumbs up to peebee!

peebee

Re: ScPup64 Slackware Current - a new user

Post by peebee »

ozsouth wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:00 pm

For the first time in 3 years, I installed ScPup64 for a new user. My 84 year old friend's 12+ year old Win7 pc was substantially virused & was so slow. Having just 2Gb ram didn't help. As he basically just surfs a little & checks his yahoo mail, Puppy was a great improvement. I set up dual boot, with Puppy first, & have included anydesk in case he gets stumped & my brief notes aren't enough. It has Firefox & wpsoffice. Even runs his old HP F series printer. Alternative Win11 pc or a modern ipad was over $1000 aud (more than a fortnight's pension here in Oz). He couldn't believe that he wouldn't need kaspersky antivirus any more (it failed to completely clean his Win7).
Thumbs up to peebee!

Thanks.................. just for clarification, I haven't updated ScPup since S15Pup was born.......... it's perfectly fine as it is but there have been many Slackware Current updates subsequently............ my current thinking is that LxPupSc will remain as the Current build and will be kept up to date (you can always drop back to JWM if you want to) and S15Pup (which is now built on GitHub) will be the non-lxde build.

Return to “SPups”