LxPupSc64 SlackwareCurrent LXDE Woof-CE build 23-Feb-24

Post by peebee »

64-bit Slackware Current based Pup with LXDE desktop

Updated to 23.01+6 23-February-2024

details and downloads from here

previous discussion thread on murga-linux

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (249.7 KiB) Viewed 5056 times
Last edited by peebee on Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:11 am, edited 12 times in total.

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

peebee

Re: LxPupSc64

Post by peebee »

Clarification.......

+2 is the latest release (releases have even numbers)

+3 is an interim release in preparation for +4 (interims have odd numbers) and is only available as as a delta to be applied to +0

Last edited by peebee on Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

Hello @peebee

Can you help about installing the nm-applet? It's successfully installed however it does not work properly, unable to detect network interfaces especially the wifi which unable to scan wifi networks although network-manager daemon is running
peebee

Post by peebee »

mistfire wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:46 pm Hello @peebee

Can you help about installing the nm-applet? It's successfully installed however it does not work properly, unable to detect network interfaces especially the wifi which unable to scan wifi networks although network-manager daemon is running
Hi @mistfire
No idea I'm afraid - why do you want to use it? Are the provided SNS, Frisbee and Netwiz not sufficient?? What does nm-applet do that they don't? Puppy network management may be entirely different to what nm-applet is expecting. @rerwin is the Puppy networking guru and may be able to offer some thoughts?

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

peebee wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:54 pm
mistfire wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:46 pm Hello @peebee

Hi @mistfire
No idea I'm afraid - why do you want to use it? Are the provided SNS, Frisbee and Netwiz not sufficient?? What does nm-applet do that they don't? Puppy network management may be entirely different to what nm-applet is expecting. @rerwin is the Puppy networking guru and may be able to offer some thoughts?
mistfire,
Late last year [Edit: Actually, it was the year before last ] I started to modify the connectwizard group to support Network Manager but abandoned that project to focus on the Puppy managers. I did not get to the point of testing it. I can make a .pet of it for you if you want to work with it (or even together).
Last edited by rerwin on Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
mistfire

Post by mistfire »

@rerwin Could you please send the pet that you talked about? I attempting for a long time to add support for NetworkManager on rc.network script. Thank you

@peebee I noticed that dbus-daemon-launch-helper failed to work because it has no suid and the group was root instead of message bus.

I'm attempting to convert lxpupsc to use a full xfce environment. Basic desktop works well except that xfce-power-manager failed to work. It throws error messages regarding policykit (can be found at /var/log/messages).

Also when I try to install midori using "pkg" by sc0ttj it successfully installed however when I ran it. It shows UNDEFINED_SYMBOL messages came from webkitgtk
rerwin

Post by rerwin »

mistfire wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:15 pm @rerwin Could you please send the pet that you talked about? I attempting for a long time to add support for NetworkManager on rc.network script. Thank you
mistfire,
Done, via PM. Please check your messages.

Richard
michel804

Post by michel804 »

I am new to LxPupSc / ScPup but not to Puppy Linux, I have used slacko and Lighthouse puppy in the past.
I am testing LxPupSc64 19.09 because it has the uefi capability.
My goal is to do a frugal install and use it regularly: Email, web browsing and programming in Python3 as well as compiling other programs as I explore...

My result so far:
-Could not use my save file that I created after the first boot, I saved in a directory/folder in an ext4 partition. The boot process did not detect it. This has never happened in the past, I have always been able to use my save file when starting with a live CD, whether I save it in the top level or in a folder. What am I missing ? Thanks

My machine: HP ProBook 650 G1 in UEFI mode. I also have Win 10 installed...

I also decided to download and install some sfs and other packages without the save file connected and this is what i got, I tried the Get Web Browser utility from the Internet menu to download Firefox and Chrome. The download went well but I could not launch either one of them. I tried it from the utility right after the download and I also tried from the menu once they appeared. No success.
I had previously done an On-the-fly loading of the Chromium sfs package that I downloaded without the Get Web browser utility and it worked. Also I did an SFS load with the Devx sfs previously downloaded and it works. I tried the python 2.7 and it's fine.

Other than that, I am enjoying the system, thanks Peebee for a good puppy distro.

Thanks for your help
peebee

Post by peebee »

michel804 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:48 pm I am testing LxPupSc64 19.09 ...................
-Could not use my save file that I created after the first boot, I saved in a directory/folder in an ext4 partition.
Hi @michel804
19.09 is an old version - you should be using 20.06+0 or +1 preferably.
Where is the ext4 partition in relation to your boot partition? It may not be mounted at boot?
Which bootloader are you using? What is the boot entry? e.g. menu.lst for grub4dos.
The browsers are compatible with 20.06 but not 19.09.

Marv

Post by Marv »

Version 20.06.+1 installed as an update to my Frugal Grub4Dos install to an SSD on the i5 based Fujitsu S761 laptop. md5sum, all the usual system checks, video FPS, lidsuspend, a couple of days use with SlimJet 27.0.7.0 from SFS all look good. No problems seen running your 5.8.5-lxpup64 kernel in it either. My boot partition is still FAT32 but all profiles (browsers, Sylpheed, Parcellite etc.), current work and download directories, and other user data are on a second EXT2 partition mounted at boot.

Thanks,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

michel804

Post by michel804 »

peebee wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:05 am
Hi @michel804
Which bootloader are you using? What is the boot entry? e.g. menu.lst for grub4dos.
The browsers are compatible with 20.06 but not 19.09.
Hi @peebee , thanks for your response.
I am using the Live CD and not an installed setup. The save file is on the HD in a separate partition in a directory like this, sda8/scpup64. I thought when you use the live cd, the system will check the partitions for any save file....
peebee wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:05 am
Hi @michel804
19.09 is an old version - you should be using 20.06+0 or +1 preferably.
The reason I am keeping the 19.09 version is because of the uefi boot mode on my machine. Looking at the new version 20.06, I did not see any indication on the file name that it includes uefi capabilities.
lxpupsc64-20.06+0-T-k64.iso vs lxPupSc64-19.09+0-uefi-T.iso :there is no 'uefi' in the name of the 20.06 version so I concluded that it does not support uefi.
Is my conclusion incorrect? Please let me know. Thanks
Michel
peebee

Post by peebee »

Hello @michel804
20.06 has the same uefi capabilities as 19.09 - only the iso name has been simplified.

I suggest you raise the query about savefolders on disk and cd booting in one of the more general threads on the forum - it is not something I have any knowledge or experience of. I suspect you need to type in a kernel switch at boot time to tell it where to find the save - possibly pdev1 or psubdir...?? Not many people use cd/dvd live running these days.... @tallboy may be able to help?

I notice you are already posting in "Boot Puppy directly from .iso without making a DVD, Frugal or Full install" - be sure to provide complete details of your setup and what you have tried, what problems you have encountered and where you've already looked for help.

muggins

Post by muggins »

I have 2 laptops, both running LxPup64. The first one pcmanfm shows drives in the left hand panel, whereas the second one doesn't. I'm
going mad trying tp ascertain the settings to get the second one to do so. Any ideas? (The funny thing is I'm sure I had the same problem several years ago, but the solution is lost in the mists of time!).
peebee

Post by peebee »

muggins wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:50 am I have 2 laptops, both running LxPup64. The first one pcmanfm shows drives in the left hand panel, whereas the second one doesn't. I'm
going mad trying tp ascertain the settings to get the second one to do so. Any ideas? (The funny thing is I'm sure I had the same problem several years ago, but the solution is lost in the mists of time!).
@muggins
Type:
pup-volume-monitor-admin --help
in a terminal
then use --list to see if pvm is running
then --start if it isn't

Are the 2 laptops identical in configuration and installation? Is there anything in dmesg?

muggins

Post by muggins »

Thankyou Peebee

Code: Select all

pup-volume-monitor-admin --start
worked.

Just one other question, Roxfiler is running perfect with jwm, but seems flakey when I switch to lxde. Flakey in that it seizes up frequently. Has anyone else had issues with this?
luismor13_55

Post by luismor13_55 »

Greetings ... being something "new" in this puppy I have tried and installed other pets and with all I have managed, through PPM, to install Audacity; however in this version of LxPupSc-20.06 + O-T-k64.iso it does not appear in any repository. I don't know what I'm doing wrong since I update the repos and nothing. I need help, thank you.
peebee

Post by peebee »

luismor13_55 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:35 pm Greetings ... being something "new" in this puppy I have tried and installed other pets and with all I have managed, through PPM, to install Audacity; however in this version of LxPupSc-20.06 + O-T-k64.iso it does not appear in any repository. I don't know what I'm doing wrong since I update the repos and nothing. I need help, thank you.
You are running the 32-bit version of LxPupSc - NOT LxPupSc64.....

Audacity is not available from the official Slackware repos....however:
https://pkgs.org/search/?q=audacity
leads to:
https://slackware.pkgs.org/current/alie ... n.txz.html
where you can download:
https://slackware.uk/people/alien/sbrep ... 2alien.txz

or you could try the upupdd sfs provided at: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 69#1026169

BUT there may be multiple missing dependencies that will need to be resolved (Slackware does not provide any help with dependencies).....
Requires at:
https://debian.pkgs.org/sid/debian-main ... 6.deb.html or https://www.archlinux32.org/packages/pe ... /audacity/
will give you an idea of what might be needed:
Requires
Name Value
audacity-data = 2.4.2~dfsg0-3
libavcodec58 >= 7:4.0
libavformat58 >= 7:4.2
libavutil56 >= 7:4.0
libc6 >= 2.29
libexpat1 >= 2.0.1
libflac++6v5 >= 1.3.1
libflac8 >= 1.3.0
libgcc-s1 >= 4.2
libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 >= 2.22.0
libglib2.0-0 >= 2.12.0
libgtk-3-0 >= 3.9.10
libid3tag0 >= 0.15.1b
liblilv-0-0 >= 0.24.0~dfsg0
libmad0 >= 0.15.1b-3
libogg0 >= 1.0rc3
libportaudio2 >= 19+svn20101113
libportsmf0 -
libsndfile1 >= 1.0.20
libsoundtouch1 >= 2.0.0
libsoxr0 >= 0.1.1
libstdc++6 >= 6
libsuil-0-0 >= 0.8.0~dfsg0
libtwolame0 >= 0.3.6
libvamp-hostsdk3v5 >= 2.10.0
libvorbis0a >= 1.3.3
libvorbisenc2 >= 1.3.3
libvorbisfile3 >= 1.3.3
libwxbase3.0-0v5 >= 3.0.5.1+dfsg
libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-0v5 >= 3.0.5.1+dfsg

Marv

Re: LxPupSc64 01-Nov-2020

Post by Marv »

20.06+2 versions of both LxPupSc64 and LxPupSc installed to the i5 based Fujitsu S761, frugal Grub4Dos installs to SSD as usual (Boring I know but I have 4 and they all work superbly). All good in both, a day or two of normal use. Installs done in the following manner in my 'experimental' directory then transferred to the regular kennels: First, a pristine install, boot & video driver check, normal setup through SNS connection, Dmesg & system tests, lidsuspend etc. done. Then swap in the 5.9.3 kernel and repeat. All ok so far, then add in my scrubbed savefile from the +1, kernel 5.9.2 install. Both LxPupSc and LxPupSc64 were running well at this point so back to the regular kennels they go. I'm using SlimJet 28.0.1.0 run-as-spot from SFS in the 32b pup and still version 27.0.7.0 in the 64b pup, just haven't rolled a 64b 28.0.1.0 version yet. No Aw Snaps at all in the LxPups. Online youtubes & sound fine, no CD or DVD play as yet.

Thanks,

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

@peebee

On lxpupsc 20.06, I noticed that polkit daemon failed to run due to missing symbols and missing libmozjs. Reinstalling polkit and installing libmozjs came from rpm packages will do the trick. I also able to run upower and pulseaudio. However the problem was unable to run pavucontrol. I tried every pavucontrol from slackware 13.1 up to slackware current even debs and rpm package formats. pavucontrol doesn't work. It always throws SEGMENTATION FAULT message with undefined symbols error messages. I tried also "paman" it still shows error messages which the same as pavucontrol

peebee

Post by peebee »

mistfire wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:45 pm

On lxpupsc 20.06, I noticed that polkit daemon failed to run due to missing symbols and missing libmozjs.

I knew about libmozjs but it's c. 9MB and its absence does not seem to be crucial ..... so it's deliberately missing.
Similarly the lack of polkit-daemon does not affect normal running of LxPupSc or any applications that I have detected.

Why do you think it's needed??

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

@peebee

For me, I noticed some applications requires polkit to run. Polkitd will be executed upon starting dbus (which was currently missing in puppy).

Right now I'm installing xfce desktop environment. I sucessfully ran xfce-power-manager, pulseaudio, and now the network-manager which was previously I can't managed to run. I tried to install midori browser however it always triggers UNDEFINED SYMBOL error messages. I tried all the slackware repos and third party slackware repos. Still no luck, I can't run midori browser which completes my full xfce setup

To elimenate bloat, I just remove the dev files, doc files, and even locale files (optional).

I noticed that when I swapped the kernel in lxpupc with hid-i2c and hid-multitouch module builtin to kernel. It triggers error message and delays the boot for two minutes.

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

@peebee

One more thing, I found a critical bug on PPM which can cause corrupted package entry to be inserted at /var/packages/user-installed-packages and makes the installed package unable to remove from the system. This bug triggers if a package from third party source was installed.

The fix was on woof-ce pull request

Marv

Post by Marv »

The 5.10.1 kernel in my 'experimental' LxPupSc64 20.06 +2 now bumped to 5.10.2 on both my daily use i5 based laptop and on my Bay Trail desktop. All the usual tests, normal daily use, flogging PDFs, and some simple audio file editing & phone file transfers. All good. For now I've locked my other Lxpups at 5.9.14, mostly to stay exactly the same as the farm laptop install. LxPupSc64 is now the main workhorse on all (play is with a Fossapup64, base + LXDE ydrv + an adrv with CUPS, a few essential apps, and all config. Big apps all shared portables. Pretty much vestigial savefile).

Cheers,

Edit to add: Running

# uname -a
Linux puppypc16298 5.10.2-lxpup64 #1 SMP Mon Dec 21 16:40:39 GMT 2020 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

and using both ungoogled chromium as a portable (chromium Version 85.0.4183.102) and SlimJet 28.0.3.0 ( Chromium 85.0.4183.69). No crashes, no AwSnaps ever. Was true also for the 5.10.0 and 5.10.1 lxpup64 kernels. All in both the 32b and 64b LxPupScs. No gripes here, posting from ungoogled in LxPupSc64 with the 5.10.2 kernel.

Update as of 12/30/2020: Now running the 5.10.4 kernel in LxPupSc64 20.06 +2. Hardware and install as above. Usual tests, a days normal use. No changes in operation seen from the 5.10.2 install.

Update as of 01/08/2021: Bumped the kernel to peebees 5.10.5 in two i5 based laptops running LxPupSc64 20.06 +2. One of then was a bump from 5.10.4 and one from 5.10.2. Both went smoothly with the usual system level tests and some normal daily use perfect so far. Still running ungoogled chromium (Version 85.0.4183.102 and Slimjet 28.0.3.0 (based on chromium 85.0.4183.69) as my browsers. Just now did the Bay Trail desktop also, everything good there too.

Update as of 01/10/2021: Kernel bumped to 5.10.6 in the computers and OS above. Same drill, all good results. My custom ydrv driven minimal fossapup done also. No issues seen there also. In LxPupSc64 20.06 +2 on the i5 based laptop and watching CPU temperature and use while running glxgears and checking FPS (intel_pstate powersave CPU management) I think I am seeing better management of resources. Generally what I have seen in the past is a quick spike to 8000+ FPS, then fairly quickly thermal throttling of the CPUs and a dropoff to 7200 to 7500 FPS and system fan. What I see with the 5.10.6 kernel is 8000+ FPS initial and then what looks like a fairly well damped slow oscillation around 7800 to 8000 FPS with comcomitant CPU use. No fan. Pretty nice feedback loop. A bit subjective but I've been watching this through a lot of kernels/OS and it seems real -and good-.

Update as of 01/19/2021: Kernel bump to 5.10.8 in the LxPup64 install on the i5 based laptop. Basic tests as above all good, Light daily use seems fine. Power management continues to be extremely good -see above-. FPS holding between 8000 and 8300 with a nicely damped sinusoidal swing between those values. Absolutely great for this Lappie.

Update as of 01/27/2021: Now up to kernel 5.10.9 in the LxPupSc64 install above. Results exactly as above. Fairly heavy use right now as my daily, tax time and playing with a couple of pretty good sized databases. Excellent power management on this hardware (using the intel_pstate driver and the powersave governor).

Update as of 02/16/2021: Now up to kernel 5.10.16 (LTS kernel) in LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and fossapup64. At 5.11.0 in my 'expermental' LxPupSc64. This is all on the second generation i5 based Fujitsu S761 laptops. The sole remaining core 2 duo laptop and the Bay Trail desktop are still at 5.10.15 in all the pups above. No low level system problems or changes noted and fairly heavy daily use using 5.10.15 and 5.10.16 in LxPupSc64 on the S761s has been excellent.

Update as of 02/24/2021: Kernel bump to 5.11.1 in my 'experimental' LxPupSc64 install on the Fujitsu S761. No issues at all noted. All other installs remain as in my 02/16/2021 update.

Update as of 02/26/2021: Kernel bump to 5.11.2 in my 'Experimental LxPupSc64 install on the usual i5 based laptops. Again, no issues noted. I have pretty much gone back to using Peasywifi 4.6 as my default connection manager. Partially because it is the only thing that will work reliably on the farm router ( crummy router, end of a lot of copper, always been a stinker) and partially in installs where I do a lot of kernel bumping it doesn't 'port climb' the way SNS does if I don't scrub the udev rule and SNS profile in the slackware derivs save file at the bump.

Update as of 03/06/2021: Bump to 5.11.3 in the install described immediately above. No issues seen, glxgears FPS stellar. Continuing to happily use Peasywifi 4.6 in this install.

Update as of 03/16/2021: Bump to 5.11.6 as above. Again, no issues noted, PeasyWiFi connection nicely survives the bump, unlike SNS. Light daily use plus some signal generator and speaker design stuff. Still running SlimJet 29.0.0.0 run-as-spot from SFS in both this and 32b pups (not much in the changelog through 29.0.3.0) and un-googled chromium at 87.0.4280.88 in the 64b ones (ungoogled-chromium 88 is a dependency hell).

Update as of 03/20/2021: Uneventful bump to 5.11.7 as above. All good so far. Ungoogled-chromium now up to chromium Version 89.0.4389.90 in all my 64b installs. A big hat-tip to @mikewalsh there :thumbup2: :thumbup2: SlimJet happily residing at 29.0.0 for now.

Update as of 03/31/2021: Now running the 5.11.11 kernel after a few days with 5.11.10 in the install detailed above. Low level tests and daily use perfect in both. Light daily use, tree shopping etc. (replacing a 100 yr old black locust), nothing to squawk about whatsoever here.

Thanks again,

Marv

Re: LxPupSc64 SlackwareCurrent LXDE Woof-CE build 01-Apr-2021

Post by Marv »

Build of 01-Apr-2021 up and running well on the Fujitsu S761:

System: Host: puppypc16298 Kernel: 5.11.11-lxpup64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: LXDE (Openbox 3.6.1)
Distro: LxPupSc64 21.04
Machine: Device: laptop System: FUJITSU product: LIFEBOOK S761 serial: R1Y00453
Mobo: FUJITSU model: FJNB225 UEFI [Legacy]: FUJITSU // Phoenix v: Version 1.17 date: 03/14/2012
Battery CMB1: charge: 49.0 Wh 86.0% condition: 57.0/67.0 Wh (85%)
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-2520M (-HT-MCP-) speed/max: 800/3200 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.20.10 driver: intel tty size: 134x32 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Network: Card: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k
Drives: HDD Total Size: 250.1GB (25.3% used)
Info: Processes: 166 Uptime: 9:50 Memory: 475.7/5782.1MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.3.8

The usual frugal install to SSD, first boot pristine, setup to SNS connection, low level tests ok, glxgears FPS and intel_pstate power management with powersave governor excellent, and multimedia CD and DVD play ok. Gnome-mplayer checked in both and pmusic on CD. Pmusic works after the usual arm wrestling with source on this hardware and calling it as pmusic -c. I tend not to use it much...
Then scrub and update my 20.06 +2 savefile. Clean boot there too, tests good, all settings survived and both SlimJet 29.0.0.0, ungoogled-chromium based on Version 89.0.4389.90, and sylpheed work well as previously set up. CPU at idle down to 1% there, pretty theme dependent. My daily for now, posting from it.

Thanks,

Updated to version 21.04 +2: Went well, procedures and results as above. I'm currently running the 5.11.12 kernel in it. There are a couple of new 'features' that I prefer to run without and have disabled, both in the 32b and 64b LxPupScs:

Sylpheed now has a 'test' plugin located in /usr/lib/sylpheed/plugins. On my lappie it gives a nag in the systray on startup on each startup of sylpheed. I renamed it test.so_hide as is my custom and sylpheed starts and runs quietly and perfectly again. Use it a lot.

I prefer to run without the zram swap now started by default in rc.sysinit. Adding the line

BOOT_DISABLESWAP="yes"

to the file /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONSTRAINED disables it.

One other thing of note in my 64b install but not in my 32b install. In my updated savefile version there were a lot of elogind-uaccess ACL errors in dmesg. Not critical but they kind of stunk up the joint. They were not present in the pristine boot so I just rebuilt my install manually to get a fresh save. Clean dmesg again, probably about time for that refresh anyway and not hard, no data in there, just look'n'feel and symlinks.

Thanks again,

Update as of 04/15/2021: Kernel bump to version 5.11.14 on both the 64b and 32b installs of LxPupSc 21.04 +2 on the Fujitsu S761. No issues seen in either. Dmesg continues to be nice and clean. Posting from the 32b install now, then back to the 64b as the daily.

Update as of 04/20/2021: Kernel bump to version 5.11.15, only on the 64b LxPupSc so far. Hardware and install as above and no problems at all noted so far. SlimJet updated to version 30.0.1.0 (based on Chromium 88.0.4324.150), SFS packaged run-as-spot. Ungoogled-chromium remains at version 89.0.4389.90, packaged as a portable but sharing a common 'spot' profile with SlimJet which is shared amongst LxPupSc64, fossapup64, and ScPup64.

Update as of 05/05/2021: Kernel bump to version 5.12.1 via 5.12.0 on my 64b LxPupSc 'experimental' install. No changes to hardware or installation procedure and no problems noted so far on this install. Non experimental LxPupSc installs are at kernel 5.11.16 for now. Moving my wifes' workshop so not much use other than the morning 'bidness' for now.

Update as of 05/14/2021: Now at kernel 5.12.3 in the 64b LxPupSc64 'experimental' install. Clean dmesg, very good FPS, continued good idle CPU and memory use. No issues noted. Using it as my daily now, browsing and email mostly.

Last edited by Marv on Sat May 15, 2021 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

Clarity

Re: LxPupSc64 SlackwareCurrent LXDE Woof-CE build 08-Apr-2021

Post by Clarity »

Sorry, this should have been posted to ScPup64's thread.

Marv

Post by Marv »

A note and a bug:

Kernel 5.12.4 up and running fine in LxPup64 21.04 +2 in my 'Experimental' directory. System checks all good, resource use good, daily use fine.

The bug: In all of my 21.04 +2 installs (LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 -extensive checks-) and also in my current Fossapup64 and SCPup64 installs (brief checks) my LG phone (Android OS based) is no longer detected. It was detected in all the 20.06 installs. Platform (core 2 duo and 2nd gen i5 laptops, all frugal installs to SSD) independent. Kernel independent. Pristine vs savefile install independent. pupmtp reverted from the version in the 21.04s to the version in the 20.06s, not that (uses simple-mtpfs). simple-mtpfs version seems the same in both, see below. glib2 version has changed from 2.68.2 to 2.68.8. That's as far as I've gone so far.

Screenshot_21.04.png
Screenshot_21.04.png (26 KiB) Viewed 7067 times
Screenshot_20.06.png
Screenshot_20.06.png (29.82 KiB) Viewed 7067 times

Dmesg snippet and simple-mtpfs output 20.04s:

[   53.725724] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[   53.870111] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1004, idProduct=633e, bcdDevice= 3.18
[   53.870129] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[   53.870136] usb 3-1: Product: LGL125DL
[   53.870141] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: LGE
[   53.870145] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: LGL125DLb123d04c
[   54.248918] traps: gvfsd-mtp[6372] trap int3 ip:7f70319807b5 sp:7ffc9472abd0 error:0 in libglib-2.0.so.0.6600.2[7f7031947000+82000]

# simple-mtpfs --version
simple-mtpfs version 0.3.0
FUSE library version: 2.9.9
fusermount version: 2.9.9
using FUSE kernel interface version 7.19

# simple-mtpfs -l
1: LG Electronics Inc.LG G Flex 2

Dmesg snippet and simple-mtpfs output 21.06s

[   34.639089] usb 3-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
[   34.783248] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1004, idProduct=633e, bcdDevice= 3.18
[   34.783274] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[   34.783283] usb 3-1: Product: LGL125DL
[   34.783287] usb 3-1: Manufacturer: LGE
[   34.783290] usb 3-1: SerialNumber: LGL125DLb123d04c
[   34.966810] traps: gvfsd-mtp[6013] trap int3 ip:7f674642b267 sp:7ffdfdfa4890 error:0 in libglib-2.0.so.0.6600.8[7f67463f0000+84000]

# simple-mtpfs --version
simple-mtpfs version 0.3.0
FUSE library version: 2.9.9
fusermount version: 2.9.9
using FUSE kernel interface version 7.19

# simple-mtpfs -l
No raw devices found.

Cheers,

Update later in the day: Slacko64-8.n - the latest on GitHub works. I just downloaded it from github, pristine frugal booted on my i5 based laptop, and it detects and connects correctly to my Open Source Android LG L125DL flip.

Thanks for the pointer @peebee :thumbup2:

Marv

Post by Marv »

Kernel bump to 5.12.10 from 5.12.7 in the 'Experimental' frugal install to SSD of LxPupSc64 21.04 +3 on the i5 based Fujitsu S761 laptop. Nice clean dmesg, good idle CPU % and memory use, excellent glxgears FPS, memory and SSD throughput good, and great power management using the intel_pstate driver and its' powersave governor on this hardware circa 2012. I've been using the 5.12.7 install as my daily and will continue to do so with the 5.12.10 bump. SlimJet 30.0.4.0 and ungoogled-chromium 90.0.4430.212 (in process of updating to 91) as the current browsers.
LibreOffice Writer and Master PDF Editor as portables get pretty much daily use, as does good old Sylpheed. Other than MTP phone connection, very little 'multimedia' use.

New real pup here so I have a full time job for a bit. She's an 11 month old Dal/Pointer mix. A rescue, all the right moves, strong, happy, unafraid, and immensely curious about the world but full of herself in an 11 month old way. :D :D :D

Belated update as of 07/28/2021: Still here, just busy. Currently running kernel 5.13.5 in the install above. It's fine, I've bumped my way through all the 5.13.x with good tests and no issues. Both my wife and I are pretty much just using this install only as our daily now on three of the Fujitsu S761s.

# uname -a
Linux puppypc2965 5.13.5-lxpup64 #1 SMP Sun Jul 25 17:34:25 BST 2021 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Update as of 08/01/2021: Quick bump to kernel 5.13.6 in the above install last night. No issues seen, all tests good, no multimedia as of yet.

Update as of 08/07/2021: Update to kernel 5.13.7 in the above install. Tests all look good, idle CPU% and memory use unchanged. No issues seen in some daily use. Mitigation on this 2nd gen i5 shows:

itlb_multihit:KVM: Mitigation: VMX unsupported
l1tf:Mitigation: PTE Inversion
mds:Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling
srbds:Not affected
tsx_async_abort:Not affected

# uname -a
Linux puppypc2965 5.13.7-lxpup64 #1 SMP Sun Aug 1 07:39:18 BST 2021 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

Update as of 08/13/2021: Updated the above install to kernel 5.13.9 on 3 Fujitsu S761s. Nice clean dmesg, good idle resource use and glxgears FPS. Wrestling with chromium v 92 on both the LxPupSc64 and fossapup64 9.5. I have v 91 running on both well (ungoogled) but ungoogled version 92 is testing me so far. Missing libs chased and fixed, throws a breakpoint error so far. Most current slimjet is still v 90 and runs well. Other than that, just normal daily use on all of the machines.

Update as of 08/25/2021: Now at kernel 5.13.12 in the LxPupSc64 'Experimental' installs on the Fujitsu S761s per above. Smooth update with nothing at all to report. I now have Ungoogled-Chromium v92 running on Fossapup64 -it was a profile permissions thing- but still stuck with the chrome breakpoint error on LxPupSc64. Mostly working with the new non-computer pup and cutting wood for now.

Update as of 08/29/2021: Kernel bump to 5.13.13 on two of the Fujitsu S761 installs above. Dmesg clean, resource use at idle, glxgears FPS all good. Touch pad and other laptop resources continue to work correctly in normal daily use on this hardware. Redshift-portable-64 used for brightness and color temp control and the intel_pstate driver with the 'powersave' governor for power management continues to be optimal on these 2nd gen i5 laptops.

Marv

Post by Marv »

New major kernel number so new post:

After a brief use of kernel 5.13.13, above, the kernel on my Fujitsu S761 laptop 'Experimental' install of LxPupSc64 21.04 +3 is bumped to kernel version 5.14.00. The usual procedure, savefile renamed, scrubbed, and carefully examined. I'm using PWF for the wifi connection. So long as the udev network persistance file is scrubbed the network connection takes the bump in it's stride. Clean Dmesg, good glxgears FPS (I am now using the intel_pstate schedutil governor instead of the intel_pstate powersave). Pretty good reviews on Phoronix, built into the kernel, and now the default governor. I disable /etc/init.d/start_cpu_freq. Nowt else to report really. Running the latest Slimjet from SFS and Ungoogled-Chromium Version 91.0.4472.101 as v92 is still giving me breakpoint errors in the slackware derivs. I'll play with multimedia later. The Ungoogled-Chromium plays pretty much anything I've asked it to online, SlimJet not so much, haven't chased that as the UG-C just works.

So far so good. Thanks :!:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Socket Designation: Onboard
Manufacturer: Intel(R) Corporation
Voltage: 1.2 V
External Clock: 100 MHz
Min/Max Speed: 800/3200 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:2000 MHz, 1:1118 MHz, 2:2100 MHz, 3:2100 MHz
Core Count: 2
Thread Count: 4
64-bit capable: Yes

Frequency governor   : schedutil
Freq. scaling driver : intel_cpufreq

itlb_multihit:KVM: Mitigation: VMX unsupported
l1tf:Mitigation: PTE Inversion
mds:Mitigation: Clear CPU buffers; SMT vulnerable
meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
spec_store_bypass:Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
swapgs barriers and __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, IBPB: conditional, IBRS_FW, STIBP: conditional, RSB filling
srbds:Not affected
tsx_async_abort:Not affected

peebee

Post by peebee »

Hi @Marv

Thanks for the report.

Have you tried the Snap build of chromium found at:
chromium64_92.0.4515.159_lx_spot.sfs

Not "ungoogled"..........

Marv

Post by Marv »

peebee wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:56 am

Hi @Marv

Thanks for the report.

Have you tried the Snap build of chromium found at:
chromium64_92.0.4515.159_lx_spot.sfs

Not "ungoogled"..........

I hadn't as my goal is ungoogled but I just did and it starts and runs OOTB on the LxPupSc64 21.04 +3 with the 5.14 kernel. I'll use it to illuminate my ungoogly quest.

Thanks,

Return to “LxPupSc”