How to use Brother HL L2360DW b/w Laser jet printer?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

ndujoe1

How to use Brother HL L2360DW b/w Laser jet printer?

Post by ndujoe1 »

First : I hope I have this request in the correct forum category, if not, move it or tell me which where to place this request.

This issue originates from laziness and ease of use. I have used the Google Print function for a long time, successfully with many versions of Puppy Linux. On December 31, 2020 Google is going to shut Google Print services down.

Thus I need to get Puppy to speak with this printer, preferably wirelessly or if not, I have a USB printer cable that I can attach.

I tried the CUPS interface, https://localhost:631 but puppy reports that the site cannot be reached.

Any guidance or references on the net I should seek would be welcome. Thanks.

retry3

Re: Brother HL L2360DW b/w Laser jet printer help

Post by retry3 »

I am just a eternal beginner, but I have Brotherlaser HL-L2390dw that I finally managed to get to print in Tahr 5 and Fossapup64, but not scan.

Member rcrsn51 is a guru and has posted very helpful printer install guides, including Brothers. Do a forum search for him or printers.

I finally managed to get mine to work, although I am not exactly sure how and would hate to mislead you, but I used the disk that came with the printer and puppy seemed to respond ok. I used a USB connection.

I hope this helps a little bit, at least. I think you are lucky, as I seem to recall that there was a specific driver for HL 2360dw, but not for my 2390.

ozsouth

Re: Brother HL L2390DW b/w Laser jet printer help

Post by ozsouth »

@ndujoe1 - the scanning process below should apply to you. Which puppy are you using (also 32/64bit)?
There are printer drivers here: https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... _us&os=128 Use at own risk.

Use at own risk.

Wireless scanning:-
After printer installed, note ip address. Then install appropriate brscan .deb below (click on it in ROX-Filer).
Then in a terminal, run these 3 commands:
/opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/setupSaneScan4 -i
/opt/brother/scanner/brscan4/udev_config.sh
brsaneconfig4 -a name=Brother Model=HL-L2390DW ip=(insert ip address here)

You should then be able to scan via Xsane

brscan4-0.4.8-1.amd64.deb.fake.gz
64 bit - Remove .fake.gz & click on it with ROX-Filer
(111.57 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Attachments
brscan4-0.4.8-1.i386.deb.fake.gz
32 bit - Remove .fake.gz & click on it in ROX-Filer
(88.55 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

Return to “Users”