Moderator: Forum moderators

Jasper

Re: -= Great radios for you developers and pupinians! =-

Post by Jasper »

Final screenshot

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@Jasper Looking at your screenshot of the extracted folder "yradio" I see that it only contains the yradio script.
It should contain 3 items, also folders "icons" and "playlist", how come they are not there for you ?
The missing folders are the whole point of why it doesn't work. (edit: the "playlist" folder is being copied first time run to /root/.yradio)
edit: if you fixed the above problem, better remove /root/.yradio first before trying again.

yradio directory contents
yradio directory contents
2022-12-03_09-55-04.png (12.03 KiB) Viewed 2257 times

@rockedge
On which Puppy did you test, and why is the height so small on your screenshot ?

@keniv Thanks for testing, I'll have a look at the things you mentioned.

EDIT: This is basically how it should look if all is well (with the categories dropdown box)

2022-12-03_10-33-04.png
2022-12-03_10-33-04.png (84.91 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@fredx181

Downloaded this again and yes I do have the 3 folders :thumbup:

The icons have now appeared too.

I will have download the database again and put it in the directory to update.

I am recording (works :thumbup2: )

**EDIT**

There is no minimise button for the streamripper so when close the window it stops :oops:

Like the pop up dialog box each time a new track is played :thumbup2:

Also, the BBC audio streams that provide a message of ending in 2023 is just to inform listeners to update their streams as the move away from their old servers and adopt the new HLS streams which I am lead to believe can adjust themselves based on the receiver ie high speed, PC, mobile device, low speed etc.

Primarily it is for owners of Internet radio devices.

Last edited by Jasper on Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Jasper wrote:

Downloaded this again and yes I do have the 3 folders :thumbup:

The icons have now appeared too.

OK, but looking at your screenshot, the top part of the GUI is missing, is this on Fossapup ?
As I said, something's wrong with the included yad in Fossapup.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Yes, I am using Fossapup.

I noticed that when the application opened.

Strange how I ended up with two slightly different GUI's.

The first set of pictures must have been earlier today and I am guessing you might have updated your application (?) and I am using the current download.

@fredx181

It might not be finished article but it's useable and I like the GUI & dialog boxes. I plan to continue using it

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Jasper wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:51 am

Yes, I am using Fossapup.

I noticed that when the application opened.

Strange how I ended up with two slightly different GUI's.

The first set of pictures must have been earlier today and I am guessing you might have updated your application (?) and I am using the current download.

I didn't update. It must have to do with the yad version on Fossapup, do you have installed the v0.40 pet that I linked to earlier ?
EDIT: For convenience, here are attached yad v0.40 pets;

yad-0.40-amd64.pet
yad v0.40 64-bit
(74.3 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
yad-0.40-i686.pet
yad v0.40 32-bit
(70.82 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I re-opened the app and the GUI changed just as you demonstrated in your post :thumbup:

I realised that you do have a minimise button. I clicked on the terminal window and it closed down. User error :oops: :lol:

I need to get my head around the playlist configuration/setup ....... need a strong coffee first :lol:

Very pleased with this!!

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Is this application only for 64 bit OSes?

It would be a shame if it could not be used by the many 32bit builds on the forum.

For example this was posted yesterday:

]https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=7475

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Jasper wrote:

Is this application only for 64 bit OSes?

No, also for 32-bit as it is just a shell script, need to have proper yad (32-bit, v0.40) version installed and it should work.
Cannot open the link you provided.

keniv

Post by keniv »

keniv wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:06 pm

I'm using mplayer and I'm listening to BBC Radio4 Extra while typing this post. Have not tried using mpv.

Sorry about this but I've just looked at processes while running YRadio and it appears that I'm not using mplayer but am using mpv. On further testing all seems to be working well in fossapup. Just one other thing I've notice and that is there is no maximize to full screen. I'm not sure if this is by design or not but I thought it worth a mention.

Regards,

Ken.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

A member needed a radio player for Bionic32

viewtopic.php?t=7475

@keniv
Good morning and thanks for mentioning the maximise option. Can confirm that it seems stuck.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@Jasper
Thanks Jasper,
Glad the maximise thing is not just me. Not a big issue though. I will also try it in a 32bit pup.

Regards,

Ken.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

fredx181 wrote:

which Puppy did you test, and why is the height so small on your screenshot?

Only reason my last screenshot shows the smaller window is to save space in the post I manually resized the window after using the the search function to find WPKN after I entered it's URL via the add a station controls. No worries the YRadio window is usually not so short.

I have tested YRadio on KLV-Airedale, F96_4-CE, F96_4-radky2 and this morning after the World Cup game USA - Netherlands, I will test it on @wiak's KLA

Good luck to your team Fred, let's hope for a clean game and some excitement.

keniv

Post by keniv »

Tried to run YRadio on a number of 32bit puppies. On a modern one like Dpup Stretch it seemed to run as well as it does on Fossapup and does not need the yad .pet. On an older pup like Racy 5.5.1 it needed the yad update and did run to a degree in that many of the streams played but a lot that did play on Fossapup and Dpup Stretch did not play. I also tried an older but recently updated pup like Precise Extra by @amethyst but this gave similar results to that with Racy 5.5.1. I did wonder if this failure to play streams that played in Fossapup or Dpup Stretch was due to the type of stream. I'd be interested to know how others got on using 32bit pups.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote:

Good luck to your team Fred, let's hope for a clean game and some excitement.

Haha, thanks, must admit though that I didn't see much of it, one eye on the game and the other on trying to fix Yradio bugs, so I can't be considered as a real football fan :D

Probably tomorrow I'll share new Yradio version (with some real bugs fixed).

@keniv Indeed maximizing doesn't work on Fossapup, cannot solve it, i guess it has to do with the combination of window-manager (JWM) and the Yradio program, on a system with another window-manager (Openbox) maximize works OK.

Tried to run YRadio on a number of 32bit puppies. On a modern one like Dpup Stretch it seemed to run as well as it does on Fossapup and does not need the yad .pet. On an older pup like Racy 5.5.1 it needed the yad update and did run to a degree in that many of the streams played but a lot that did play on Fossapup and Dpup Stretch did not play. I also tried an older but recently updated pup like Precise Extra by @amethyst but this gave similar results to that with Racy 5.5.1. I did wonder if this failure to play streams that played in Fossapup or Dpup Stretch was due to the type of stream. I'd be interested to know how others got on using 32bit pups.

Thanks. I suspect streams not playing has to do with a too old mplayer version (anyway mpv works better, almost all streams I tried played for me with using mpv).

keniv

Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:55 pm

@keniv Indeed maximizing doesn't work on Fossapup, cannot solve it, i guess it has to do with the combination of window-manager (JWM) and the Yradio program, on a system with another window-manager (Openbox) maximize works OK.

Thanks. I suspect streams not playing has to do with a too old mplayer version (anyway mpv works better, almost all streams I tried played for me with using mpv).

Thanks for your reply. I don't think the maximising issue is much of a problem when using Fossapup as YRadio is still perfectly usable. I only reported it because I noticed it. Likewise the issues with the older 32bit pups. I do still have a 32bit machine and use these but it looks like there's an easy fix. I'll look forward to your new Yradio version.

Regards,

Ken.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Old Puppys had pupRadio, never really used it but think it was quite customizable but relatively simple. Yes and I see fredx mentioned mpv. There is a standalone mpv compiled for Precise which can play everything I throw at it. I use it sometimes to play H.265 video. I think it's this one: http://www.mediafire.com/download/r9tci ... recise.pet

keniv

Post by keniv »

amethyst wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:14 pm

Old Puppys had pupRadio, never really used it but think it was quite customizable but relatively simple. Yes and I see fredx mentioned mpv. There is a standalone mpv compiled for Precise which can play everything I throw at it. I use it sometimes to play H.265 video. I think it's this one: http://www.mediafire.com/download/r9tci ... recise.pet

Yes, I found this same link on the old forum using pSearch. I downloaded and installed it in Precise Extra but I still get the same problems.
I don't have time just now but will come back to it later on and provide more details.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

YRadio updated

Post by fredx181 »

YRadio updated to v1.2.0, see attachments and changes info here:
viewtopic.php?p=74256#p74256 (portable (tar.gz) and pet package).

keniv

Re: YRadio updated

Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:06 pm

YRadio updated to v1.2.0, see attachments and changes info here:
viewtopic.php?p=74256#p74256 (portable (tar.gz) and pet package).

OK a quick report. Installed v1.2.0 as a portable (tar.gz). Works well on Fossapup as before and uses mpv. Does not work with Dpup Stretch. I have no idea why but when I went back to the first iteration of the portable this worked and also uses mpv. I installed the mpv .pet recommended by @amethyst from here http://www.mediafire.com/download/r9tci ... recise.pet in Precise Extra. However, YRadio v1.2.0 does not appear to use mpv but instead still uses mplayer (can see this in processes) with the result that not many of the streams I have tried to play work. To be honest I am not to worried that YRadio does not work with older 32bit pups but I guessed something must have changed to prevent Dpup Stretch working in v1.2.0 when it works in the initial version.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote:

Does not work with Dpup Stretch

Mmm... well, yes I changed some things, with "Does not work" you mean only that the streams won't play or something else (GUI related or ..) ?
Can't test on Dpup Stretch atm, but will do later. edit: is that on Dpup Stretch from radky ?
EDIT: Just tested on radky's Dpup Stretch (pristine install) and yradio works fine for me.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@fredx181

with "Does not work" you mean only that the streams won't play or something else

Yes streams don't work and a box appears with "could not connect to stream"
However, I run some other portables so on /mnt/home I have two folders named Portables64 and Portables32. As originally I was going to run this on Fossapup I put v1.1 in Portables64 and ran it from there. I then deleted v1.1 and replaced it with v1.2.0. When I had problems with v1.2.0 I decide to run v1.1 from Portables32 so as I could easily compare them. I did not try to run them at the same time. Having spent more time with both I can now get some streams to play in v1.2.0 but this seems a bit hit and miss and v1.1 works better for me.
I also tried again with Precise Extra. I ran mpv in a terminal and the output is shown below.

Code: Select all

mpv git-a6e33b4 (C) 2000-2015 mpv/MPlayer/mplayer2 projects
 built on Fri Aug 14 22:57:21 GMT-8 2015
ffmpeg library versions:
   libavutil       54.30.100
   libavcodec      56.57.100
   libavformat     56.40.101
   libswscale      3.1.101
   libavfilter     5.33.100
   libswresample   1.2.101
ffmpeg version: git-2015-08-14-a604289

Usage:   mpv [options] [url|path/]filename

Basic options:
 --start=<time>    seek to given (percent, seconds, or hh:mm:ss) position
 --no-audio        do not play sound
 --no-video        do not play video
 --fs              fullscreen playback
 --sub-file=<file> specify subtitle file to use
 --playlist=<file> specify playlist file

--list-options    list all mpv options

So it looked to me as if mpv was installed.
I then ran /mnt/home/Portables64/yradio/yradio and got the output below.

# /mnt/home/Portables/yradio/yradio
using mplayer
6:@disable@
6:@bash -c "load_list %3 %4"

This also brought up YRadio v1.2.0. I selected a station that I knew would play with a double click and got the output below.

# /mnt/home/Portables/yradio/yradio
using mplayer
6:@disable@
6:@bash -c "load_list %3 %4"
-t SECS
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - 666 Conducer
bash: line 58: 13305 Terminated              busybox timeout -t $TIMEOUT /bin/bash -c time_out

I guess the only stations that play are those that can use mplayer but I can't understand why YRadio does not select mpv when it is installed.
I hoping you've got some ideas as to why this is happening.

Regards,

Ken.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@fredx181 && @keniv

I compiled what I hope is a working mpv binary (Fossapup) - updated (stripped :lol: )

If it does function correctly could it be possible used within the application instead of relying upon players pre-installed?

Not sure if it works 100%.

Last edited by Jasper on Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keef

Post by Keef »

Jasper

You might want to run 'strip' on this. Nearly 9mb as is, compared to 2mb after stripping.
What do you mean by 'self-contained'?. Just wondered how this is different from taking the binary out of an existing pet.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@Keef

Can you show me how to strip the binaries down to smaller sizes?

I think @rockedge (?) or @bigpup suggested if I was using Cmake then I could use the install strip command.

As this was built using WAF instead of Meson, so pointers would be great and more importantly save some space on my flash drive :thumbup:

As you can see my current build is 34mb and the new one is 9mb.

Keef

Post by Keef »

'Strip' is easy:

strip mpv

Don't think I've ever tried compiling mpv myself. For reference the mpv binary in Fatdog is 1655K.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@Keef

This puppy has learnt a new trick :lol:

Thank you for informing me :thumbup2:

I didn't realise I needed to have DevX installed before it would run the command.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@Keef

There is a helper script to make the compiling easier and will download all the necessary dependencies for you at the same time.

https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv-build

I thought I had most of the updated components so I do it from source which sometimes means going backwards/forwards.

Good luck :thumbup:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote:

Yes streams don't work and a box appears with "could not connect to stream"

How about trying to run from tray menu (right click on tray-icon) "Select Player ..." and change default to mpv ? (see if it says "currently mplayer").
EDIT: The purpose of Yradio is that if both mpv and mplayer are installed, mpv will be the default, but perhaps some situation can be that mplayer becomes default, not sure.

2022-12-05_22-46-00.png
2022-12-05_22-46-00.png (65.11 KiB) Viewed 2156 times

@Jasper If you mean by "self contained" that it can run on different OS's , I think that's nearly impossible (e.g.because of dependencies, old/new ....).

keniv

Post by keniv »

@fredx181

How about trying to run from tray menu (right click on tray-icon) "Select Player ..." and change default to mpv ?

Ah, did not realise it was so easy to do this. Have done this now in v1.2.0 in both Dpup Stretch and in Precise Extra and both are much better. Some streams still don't play but in say BBC there are sometimes a number of choices for a particular station at least one of which seems to work. I haven't tried switching back to mplayer yet to see if a station which won't play using mpv would play in mplayer but I will try this.

see if it says "currently mplayer"

When you open the "select player" box it is not immediately obvious whether mplayer or mpv is selected. However once I selected mpv that selection persisted.
Now working in three OS for me. One 64bit and two 32bit. All three using v1.2.0. I think it's looking pretty good. I'll spend more time messing around with it.

Regards,

Ken.

Return to “Multimedia”