Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v112.0.5615.169 (includes manual updater from Fred...)

Moderator: Forum moderators

Grey

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v112.0.5615.67

Post by Grey »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:28 pm

Doesn't work in Marmaduke's build either. I press 'Play'.....the button disappears, and nothing happens.

Yeah, thanks. On the weekend I'll try to dig into what's going on there.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Grey wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:55 am

Yeah, thanks. On the weekend I'll try to dig into what's going on there.

Maybe a security measure? For example in LibreWolf by default "EnableWebGL" is off and "Enable ResistFingerprinting" is on. Reversing the setting to 'on' and 'off' makes the "Play" button functional.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

williwaw wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:55 pm

I ran into similar issues running a startup script as root, that is, having to change owners of profiles created by root.

where chown is not available, could the script be run by spot and still be "portable" enough?
at least portable for use by spot with any distro that supports the user spot?

I'm not sure what you are after.
As long as your application folder is placed on a non-Linux FS you'll encounter problems, more when you try to run as spot but also when you run as root. Chromium simply won't be able to write to your portabilified profile folder because Chromium tries to create 3 symlinks, fails as expected and refuses to start.
You can get around this by changing the LAUNCH script and essentially the 'portability' logic behind it, but that's a different story. In any case it would require to run Chromium as root, and this is something you obviously don't want.

Grey

Post by Grey »

MochiMoppel wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:56 am

Maybe a security measure? For example in LibreWolf by default "EnableWebGL" is off and "Enable ResistFingerprinting" is on. Reversing the setting to 'on' and 'off' makes the "Play" button functional.

I have these settings right now in Chromium. Maybe something is affecting. In the future, I may have to change the settings for different sites. But it's easier to keep Chromium and Firefox together :)
The Raw Draw function, for example, spoils some blogs and forums (the appearance is distorted), and speeds up some.

chromium_flags.gif
chromium_flags.gif (23.65 KiB) Viewed 593 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Here's a script to update Ungoogled-Chromium portable (works similar as the UpdateBrave script from here: viewtopic.php?p=87277#p87277).

UpdateUChromium.gz
Remove fake .gz and make ececutable
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Place it in the Ungoogled_Chromium-portable64 directory from Mike's setup and run from there in terminal ./UpdateUChromium
And it should update to latest version (currently 112.0.5615.169)

@mikewalsh
Your archive of Ungoogled_Chromium-portable64 contains a (for me broken) symlink PROFILE, which is not right because it prevents creating that directory by the LAUNCH script.
edit: I see just now, that's already mentioned earlier by @MochiMoppel , removing the symlink makes it work OK for me (but should be on a Linux filesystem, not FAT32).
Also in the LAUNCH script, I think that only the PROFILE folder needs to be made owned by 'spot', not the other ones.

mikewalsh

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v112.0.5615.127

Post by mikewalsh »

@fredx181 :-

Many thanks for that, Fred. Works beautifully, mate. Cheers!

I've added this to the current version of the portable, along with the "ReadMe" for it. The sym-link is history - sorry about that; I've lost track of the number of times I've done this. I build the new version and link to my existing profile for testing purposes, but so often forget to remove it! I do too much stuff when I'm over-tired & past my bedtime; it's NOT a good habit!

Re-uploaded, and now available at the usual link in post #1.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

fredx181

Re: Un-Googled Chromium 'portable' - now at v ??

Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Mike, just one thing, I see you mentioned the version as v112.0.5615.127 but for me latest version downloaded by the script is v112.0.5615.169 .
How come ? (it's not late at night for you so that can't be an excuse this time :lol: )
edit: the script downloads it from here: https://github.com/macchrome/linchrome/releases/latest
edit2: checked now your latest upload and it has latest v112.0.5615.169, so that's fine anyway.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”