Google-Chrome 'portable' 64-bit browser - (with updater!)

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Re: Google-Chrome 'portable' 64-bit browser - Now with updater!

Post by mikeslr »

You know what they say: "Teach a man to fish and he'll deplete the environment." He'll also show no gratitude and forget your name :cry:

You're right about Iron. I was able to Right-Click its download button and select "copy link location". That gave me https://www.srware.net/downloads/iron64.deb which uget could use to download the deb.

With opera, I Right-Clicked the "Try it again" button on the Bottom-Right. That also enabled me to select "copy link location" which I fed into uget: https://download.opera.com/download/get ... yagain=yes

With Vivaldi, I clicked the Download button on its opening page. That took me to https://vivaldi.com/download/. Right-Clicking "Linux DEB 64bit" on the left-side under the heading Downloads again gave me a URL I could copy into uget.

They may be tricky. But we are trickier. :lol:

I don't know how to translate the above to use wget if your script was using that application.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr :-

I've whipped-up an updater for Iron-portable64 now. Head over to the Iron-portable thread, and you can read all about it..... That's two down now.....and several dozen more still to go! :roll: :D

T'other Mike. :P

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

baraka

Post by baraka »

@mikewalsh

Hi,
I've seen that you still used "the hack" for tahr64 in your latest release.
I think you sould not touch the system libraries. It's bad practice. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

baraka wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:09 am

@mikewalsh

Hi,
I've seen that you still used "the hack" for tahr64 in your latest release.
I think you should not touch the system libraries. It's bad practice. ;)

@baraka :-

If you look at it properly, then yes; the internal 'lib' directory IS still used for Tahr. But if you look closer, you'll notice the GTK3-related stuff is not present.....so it does, indeed, use the system versions instead.

Mike. :|

baraka

Post by baraka »

@mikewalsh

I've followed this link from the first post:

Code: Select all

https://mega.nz/folder/HDZElDQK#bbkJFR0QPA3q13JbEnAN6g

and LAUNCH file has this piece of code:

if  grep -q 'tahrpup64' /etc/os-release
then
	rm /usr/lib/libgdk-3.so.0.1000.8
	cp $HERE/DATA/GDK3/Tahr/32/libgdk-3.so.0.1000.8 /usr/lib/libgdk-3.so.0.1000.8
	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/:$HERE/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
	run-as-spot "$HERE/chrome/chrome" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE/spot/google-chrome --disable-infobars "$@"
else
	run-as-spot "$HERE/chrome/chrome" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE/spot/google-chrome --disable-infobars "$@"
	fi
#
if  grep -q 'tahrpup64' /etc/os-release
then
	rm /usr/lib/libgdk-3.so.0.1000.8
	cp $HERE/DATA/GDK3/Tahr/64/libgdk-3.so.0.1000.8 /usr/lib/libgdk-3.so.0.1000.8
fi

And all the gtk stuff are in place, under /lib folder.
I think I'm missing something. :(

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@baraka :-

No biggie.

With all the work & testing on the updaters, in addition to all the other work I'm currently in the middle of, I'd simply forgotten to update the repo to reflect what the current 'state of play' was. It's all very well assuming the updater will take care of people's installs for them, but if you don't have one to start with then you still need to download one. And that does need to be the current version, of course.

My bad.

I'm still leaving the Tahrpup64 'workaround' in, however.....although it now uses its own GTK-3 stuff. For me, at least, Chrome won't fire up in Tahr64 unless it does use some of those items. Don't ask me why, because I do NOT know..... If you don't want or need the workaround, just comment-out the relevant lines.

'Current' version is now in the repo.

Mike. ;)

baraka

Post by baraka »

@mikewalsh

Got it. :thumbup:
Yes, some of the stuff from /lib are needed on my system also.

MysticReverie

Post by MysticReverie »

Sorry for the ridiculous noob question, but how do I install this?
I don't understand what to do with a tar

Thanks

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@MysticReverie :-

These are quite simple.

A .tar.gz is what's known as a "tarball". Don't ask me why; the Linux community has been calling them this for ages. You have to extract the contents of the tarball, and then you will find the Google_Chrome-portable directory inside it.

You should have an app called UExtract, built-in to Fossapup64 9.5 by default. If you right-click on the tarball, and select 'UExtract' from the list, it should open. However, this is the old version, and is a bit confusing for newcomers. What I'll recommend that you do is to install the newest version before you go any further; it has a more modern interface, and is very much easier to understand.

You can find the newest version here:-

viewtopic.php?t=594

You'll find the .pet package for UExtract 4.6 at the bottom of the first post in this thread. Just download it, then when you've done that, simply click on the .pet package to install it over the top of the original one.

-------------------------------------------

Having done that, go to the downloaded Chrome tarball. Now right-click on it, and select UExtract. When it opens - showing the current directory you've opened it in - simply click on 'OK'.....and the tar.gz. package will be extracted into a directory, right beside it, called 'Google_Chrome-portable.tar.gz.extracted'. Click to enter this, and you'll find the Chrome-portable directory inside it.

Now, you should move this directory out of the 'Downloads' directory; you shouldn't run packages from inside here.....it's simply a bad habit to get into. Ideally, the Chrome portable directory really wants to go into /mnt/home/ alongside all the Puppy SFS files & stuff, and your save-file or folder. This will keep it outside the save-file; important, because once you start using the browser, the cache will very quickly grow to enormous proportions.....and if the 'portable' is inside the save, in the 'normal' part of the file-system, this then quickly fills your 'save' up. And we don't want that. Running the browser AS a portable keeps all this excess garbage outside the 'save'.

Having moved it to where you want it, simply click to enter, then click the 'LAUNCH' script to fire it up. On the first run, you'll see the 'PROFILE' directory created at the top level.....just before the browser starts for the first time.

--------------------------------------

Way past my bedtime, so I'm turning in for the night. I'll check back tomorrow, and find out how you've got on.....IF you can follow my lousy instructions! :D

Mike. ;)

MysticReverie

Post by MysticReverie »

Thanks

I was unsure what to download. '91-series' or 'Google_Chrome-Portable'.
I tried both. One installed, was making the profile file, but then nothing else happened.
The other launched, but made no profile folder.
Then I relaunched it and it just opened my normal google chrome which I have installed.

So I guess I'd call that a failure lol.

I do like this system but I think it might be too hard for noobs.

At least now I know why my personal storage space is going - standard google chrome is eating it with junk.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh

Mike, my memory tells me you found a way to move chromes cache out of the save file, just can't remember what thread it was in. Let me know if that exist.

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@wizard :-

Um.....o-kay. Well, I've been building all my browser packages only as 'portables' for quite a while now, so you must be talking about the old Chrome thread. That's going back quite some time now....

Do you want to keep the contents of the cache, or do you want a method for clearing it every time it shuts down? If the latter, take a look over here at the Ungoogled_Chromium thread; Marv came up with a snippet of code I incorporated into the end of the wrapper for that one:-

viewtopic.php?p=11884#p11884

You want the last couple of lines of the code supplied there (the bit about Ungoogled Chromium can't delete it's cache files). Put those at the very end of the wrapper script, after the exec line.....that way, they get executed at shut down. Just make sure the line

rm -rf /root/spot/.config/ungoogled_chromium/Default/Cache/*

.....is NOT commented out (and don't forget the '*' right at the end; that "wildcard" tells it to delete the contents of the cache, but not the cache itself).

The only other thing is to point it at wherever YOU have Chrome's profile located (that one is set for where Marv keeps HIS profile).

I'll check in with ya tomorrow; it's beddy-byes time for me.

Mike. ;)

wizard

Post by wizard »

Marv''s code may be what I was thinking of, I'm going to tinker with just limiting the cache size and see how that works out.

Thanks
wizard

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

If, as you originally asked, you want to physically move the cache outside the 'save', it's exactly the same procedure as we use with any of the 'zilla browsers.

Go into your Chrome profile->Default. Inside 'Default', locate your Cache. Copy Cache to either /mnt/home, or anywhere else that is normally mounted when your Pups are running - best to do this when the browser is not running, 'cos it IS possible to corrupt the Cache if copying/moving/otherwise accessing it when it's 'live' and in use.

Once you've copied the whole thing across, delete the original, followed by sym-linking the 'copy' back to the original location inside 'Default'. (Use 'Link (absolute)' for this, if you're in ROX). Bob's yr Uncle, done.

Mike. ;)

wizard

Post by wizard »

Mike, why link absolute, just curious

wizard

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

TBH, if you're running a standard install from a fixed location, 'Link(relative)' will do what you want.

I've got into the habit of using 'Link(absolute)' because as I work on/test out/try new ideas with the portables, they get moved into different locations in my system.I keep all my browser profiles in their own separate sub-directory, and each one is sym-linked to its respective browser. This way, it doesn't matter where I move them to, they always point to the correct location for their profile.

If you're running Chrome from the exact same place every time, 'Link(relative)' would work just as well.

ln -s /path/to/your/profile /path/to/external/profile

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

Google have just announced an update, so those of you already running the current version - with the updater - it's time to give it a whirl. Shut it down; don't forget to load the DevX first, then run the script. Once you're up to date, you can unload the DevX. Now you can relaunch it again!

If you're not already running the current version (with updater), just download it from the link in post #1. Once you've unpacked it & put it where you want, load your DevX & run the updater before you fire it up.

We're now at version 96.0.4464.93...

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Google-Chrome 'portable' 64-bit browser - (with updater!)

Post by mikewalsh »

'Ar' pets are now available for Tahrpup64, Xenialpup64, Bionicpup64 and Fossapup64.

See here:- viewtopic.php?p=43849#p43849

No need to load the devX now. Just install this small pet to allow the update script to work as intended.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

'Kay, gang. Forget installing those 'ar' pets.

The whole thing has been re-worked. Instead of needing to install or load anything to get the script functional, ar binaries + deps for Tahr64, Xenial64, Bionic64 and Fossa64 are now onboard. When the update script is run, it now auto-detects which Puppy is in use, and sym-links the relevant items into position. At close, the sym-links are then deleted again.

So; nowt to install OR load.....and everything is taken care of for you, automatically. All you need to do is click on the script.....

Mike. ;)

wizard

Post by wizard »

Hi Mike,
Running fossapup64 9.5

Working with the latest version and am finding it will not run, not even open, from a fat32 USB flash again. Fixed some links in the AR directory but that didn't help. Any ideas on how to get it working?

Happy New Year

Thanks
wizard

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Happy New Year to you, too.

TBH, I've never tried running the Linux version of Chrome from a FAT32 stick. I wouldn't for a moment expect it to run; it's not a Linux file-format, is it?

Okay. Clarify for me, would you? I assume this is a Puppy installed straight to a "direct from the factory" USB stick, formatted FAT32, and running a save-file?

TBH, I've never ever run a Puppy like that in all the years I've used it! It's not a scenario I'd considered, because it simply didn't occur to me. Of course, your /mnt/home in that case is FAT32, and the only Linux bit you have is inside the save-file.....so a Puppy running like this can't really make use of the portable, unless it's installed inside the save-file (and that's defeating the object.)

Mike. :roll: :)

wizard

Post by wizard »

Mike, go back to page 8-9, we did get it working in v92. Can you think of what changed in v96?

Thanks
wizard

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Right, gang.

Chrome 97 has now hit the shelves, so.....time to run Chrome-portable's updater!

Mike. ;)

xenial

Post by xenial »

I must thank you sincerely mike for your endeavours with the portable browsers.Very much appreciated. :thumbup:
A couple of nights ago i utilised some spare space on my internal hard drive and installed fossapup64 which has given me the option of using a 64bit browser.

At some point today i shall take the plunge and run this chrome portable as i have not used chrome for many years and this old dog is not getting any younger.

Thank you again. :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@xenial :-

Let me know how you get on with it, please. Also, don't forget to try the updater out at the appropriate time - keep an eye on the Chrome blog for when updates are released : ( https://chromereleases.googleblog.com/ )

The updater works fine, but my coding skills are not good enough to make it check for new versions, I'm afraid :oops: .....manual 'checking' is still required, but at least I don't need to keep rebuilding the thing every other week!

Mike. ;)

xenial

Post by xenial »

Hello mike.
My apologies for late reply.
Your portable chrome runs like a charm and thank you. :thumbup:

Hey don't be so hard on yourself,Your coding skills are top notch and you're portables are testament to this. :thumbup:

baraka

Post by baraka »

@mikewalsh
Hi,

Your updater needs improvement. You should check if the file is sane somehow. Otherwise the update script will delete your chrome and put nothing in its place.
A checksum will be most appropriate, but I can't find a reference file to check against.

My suggestion (waiting for a better solution):

wget https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb --timeout=10 &> /dev/null

if [[ "$?" != 0 ]]; then
 rm -f google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
 /usr/lib/gtkdialog/box_splash -placement top -bg yellow -fg black -timeout 5 -text "   Download failed    "
 exit 0
fi

and many thx, running chrome 98 and tahr64, no problem.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@baraka - In my firefox updaters (in this subforum), I check for a non-zero downloaded file size before deleting old firefox.
Not perfect, but should suffice. Format is:

if [ -s "filename" ];then

(proceed)
(else - don't delete old firefox; show download failure message).

xenial

Post by xenial »

@ozsouth

Firefox updates internally so is an update script even required.? :shock:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@xenial - my firefox wasn't updating - just giving a notification of availability. Others had that issue too, so I made updaters.
Fortunately, firefox has a 'current' folder on it's website, so automated wget works well.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”