Opera-portable - New release : v109.0.5097.45

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Opera-portable - New release : v109.0.5097.45

Post by mikewalsh »

Current package:- Opera-portable 109.0.5097.45

Afternoon, gang.

Now then; this will be the 'regular' thread for Opera-portable. I've always liked it, though some of you may recall the merry issues I had with the earlier releases as far as the media codecs/Widevine, etc., were concerned.

These problems have now been finally resolved. Hopefully, for good....

NetFlix, as many of you know, is a pre-requisite for me. A modern browser that won't access it is a waste of time as far as I'm concerned. The last couple of packages I released of this had made use of a small SFS for 'loading' libffmpeg/Widevine before starting the browser, which was - as I openly admitted - a somewhat 'clunky' workaround. It did the job, but the browser wasn't as easy-to-use as I would have liked it to be.

The issue has always revolved around Opera's refusal to 'read' Widevine from any other location than /opt/google/chrome.....a location we haven't really used in Puppy since Google flushed 32-bit Linux builds down the pan way back in 2016.

I've used a combination of approaches to 'fix' this intransigence on Opera's part. I'm using part of the 'tee'-command launch script seaside came up with last year, along with a bit of my own basic scripting.

The launcher now looks like this:-

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#
# Launcher for 'portable' Opera browser
#
export HERE="$(dirname "$(readlink -f "$0")")"
#
tee "$HERE"/opera/resources/pepper_flash_config.json >/dev/null <<EOF
{
  "PepperFlashPaths" : [
    "${HERE}/opera/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so"   
] } EOF # tee "$HERE"/opera/resources/ffmpeg_preload_config.json >/dev/null <<EOF [ "${HERE}/opera/libffmpeg.so" ] EOF # mkdir /opt/google mkdir /opt/google/chrome # ln -s $HERE/opera/WidevineCdm /opt/google/chrome/WidevineCdm # # "$HERE/opera/opera-pup" "$@" rm -rf /opt/google

Libffmpeg and PepperFlash are both quite amenable to being 're-located' via the tee command, so I've left those two clauses as they are, with very minor modification.

Experimentation has shown that although Opera pouts like a spoilt brat & refuses to play ball IF it can't read Widevine from /opt/google/chrome, said directory doesn't have to actually reside in that location. A sym-link is all that's needed, so the WidevineCdm directory lives inside the portable directory as normal.

At startup, a sym-link is created to /opt/google/chrome/WidevineCdm; thus, Opera finds the DRM stuff where it expects to, and behaves itself. When the browser is closed, the 'temporary' sym-link is removed from /opt by the removal of /opt/google + contents.

This all works as expected, so Opera-portable is properly 'portable' once again. Yay!

Usual procedure, as always:- D/l, unzip, place anywhere you want. Click to enter, click the launcher to fire it up. Simples! The MenuAdd/Remove scripts will let you install or remove a Menu entry, if one is required.

You will always be able to find a reasonably 'current' offering at the following location at my MEGA a/c:-

https://mega.nz/folder/bD5DGKpI#OeeHWIOIFlQvMBkZ99BZOw

This release now features, as an addition to the sidebar functionality, a 'player' button that will give you immediate access to multiple music sites.....like Spotify, YouTubeMusic, SoundCloud. In fact, anywhere you happen to have an a/c, you can sign-in & listen while you browse.

IMHO, this single item (in addition to the options for various messenger services built-in to the sidebar) is worth far more than all the ridiculous additions the Vivaldi team have been making to their browser over the course of this year..! Which is why I've always preferred Opera to Vivaldi, overall, because anything they add usually has a sensible reason for existing. I still can't figure out how the Vivaldi devs can justify adding an arcade game to their code-base.....or an internet 'pause' function!! Image

Anyways; enjoy.

Mike. Image

Last edited by rockedge on Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

watchdog

Re: Opera-portable - revisited....

Post by watchdog »

Not working in ScPup64:

/initrd/mnt/dev_save/Opera-portable_64/opera/opera: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libdconfsettings.so: undefined symbol: g_log_structured_standard

Fatal error.

LATER: I commented in opera-pup the following line:

#LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/:$HERE/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

It now starts. I installed by PPM gsettings-desktop-schemas. Thanks.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@watchdog :-

Ah, my bad.....again. I should have included the secondary launcher & wrapper scripts I've started including with the others......which just tells them NOT to use the included 'lib' directory. These are for use with the most recent Pups which require newer versions than those supplied.

I won't remove/update the lib directory, because it's still required - in its present format - by Puppies up to & including Bionic. I'll fix that.... Good catch, mate.

Mike. :oops:

Edit:- Modified versions uploaded.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Been a while since the last update for this. I kinda forgot it until ThruHammer mentioned it last night.....

Current stable release is now up to v75.0.3969.93 - based on Chromium 89, so.....here's the 'portable' version. Apologies to Opera fans; what with Covid, etc, getting Mama's jabs & everything sorted out, and having a lot else going on it just got sidelined..... :oops:

Widevine is all fully-functional. Opera-portable gets round the awkward set-up the Opera devs have put in place, i.e., relying on you also having Chrome installed so as to 'borrow' its version of Widevine. Which I always think is a bit of a 'cop-out', personally..!

The portable temporarily creates /opt/google/chrome, then sym-links the included Widevine directory across prior to launching the browser. At shut down, the sym-link is deleted again.

The Widevine sym-link trick is my work; the 'auto-location' for the media components, using the "tee" command (dependent on where you put the portable) is down to seaside. Credits to him for that. Cheers, mate! (The PepperFlash stuff is now removed, since it's EOL.)

-------------------------------------------------------------

The standard 'LAUNCH' script will work for all Pups from Bionicpup64 backwards. The 'LAUNCH_NL' script is only for very new Puppies, such as Fossapup64, etc; the script tells them NOT to use the included 'libs' directory, because their own default versions are newer.....and you end up with snowballing 'conflicts' otherwise.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As always, thanks to everyone who originally contributed to this, back before Covid hit and the old forum went down due to JM's demise.

If interested, the current download is here:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

Dealing with Opera now, LAUNCH_NL opens, LAUNCH doesn't.

Small oversight somewhere?

OK. opera-pup_nl doesn't contain this line:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HERE/:$HERE/lib${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

Correct! Remove that line in opera-pup and she fires straight-up.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

ThruHammer wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:08 pm

Dealing with Opera now, LAUNCH_NL opens, LAUNCH doesn't.

Small oversight somewhere?

Nope. The 'LAUNCH_NL' script is specifically for very new Pups. With these, the default libs are in fact newer than those included in the portable, so the script tells the Puppy (you're in Fossapup64, yes?) NOT to use the included 'libs' directory. Otherwise, you get a conflict from the version number of libpangoft-2.....and it just snowballs from there.

So; if you let Fossapup64 launch using its own libs, everything is 'tickety-boo'. The included libs ARE, however, still needed by everything from Bionicpup64 backwards..... Davids45 discovered this almost by accident a while back; 'twas then that I figured out a simple script duplication (with modification) would still permit 'sharing' the portable between Pups of different generations.

'LAUNCH' calls the original 'opera-pup' wrapper, with the 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH' line. 'LAUNCH_NL' calls the 'opera-pup_nl' wrapper, which doesn't contain this line,,,,,because it's not needed. Two matching pairs of launch scripts, y'see.

(The obvious answer, to most people, would be to update all the libs in the 'libs' directory, yes? But if you do that, then Fossapup64 becomes the ONLY Puppy these portables will run in.....and I firmly believe in making my packages work for as many folks as possible. It won't run with older Pups, because the included libs then demand newer versions of a lot of other libs in the 'base' Puppy...

You either end up re-building every Puppy into a 'Frankenstein' to run a single app.....or the included 'libs' directory grows SO large that the portable becomes unwieldy, because you'd also need newer versions of the glibc, etc.)

The additional script is an easy 'workaround'.....and a small price to pay. I forgot to add this detail to the recent post. I'll fix that ASAP. (I'm adding this information to each of the portable-browser threads as I update them. It's only needed for the 64-bit versions ATM.)

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

OK, so to confirm, it's the LAUNCH_NL script we should be running under Fossa64, correct?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

ThruHammer wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:28 pm

OK, so to confirm, it's the LAUNCH_NL script we should be running under Fossa64, correct?

Yup. You've hit the nail on the head.

• 'LAUNCH_NL' under Fossapup64.....which calls the modified 'opera-pup_nl' wrapper.

• 'LAUNCH' for all older Puppies.

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh
Hello Mike,
Thought I'd try this as I thought having the VPN might be worthwhile though I seem to remember reading it wasn't that good. I've no experience of using a VPN so I might have a play with it. Anyway, it's working on Bionicpup 8.0 64bit. Just one thing I can't find an opera icon. Can you point me in the right direction?

Regards,

Ken

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@keniv :-

Here's one....

(Just right-click->Save As...)

Don't worry about the size of it; ROX auto-resizes down to 48x48 px for the 'pinboard'.

Mike. ;)

Attachments
Opera PNG icon...
Opera PNG icon...
opera.png (8.52 KiB) Viewed 5958 times

keniv

Post by keniv »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:25 pm

@keniv :-

Here's one....

(Just right-click->Save As...)

Don't worry about the size of it; ROX auto-resizes down to 48x48 px for the 'pinboard'.

Mike. ;)

Thanks Mike.

Edit: Also working on Slacko 7.

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

keniv, have you had a chance to experiment with VPN? If yes, what's your take?

keniv

Post by keniv »

ThruHammer wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:27 pm

keniv, have you had a chance to experiment with VPN? If yes, what's your take?

No, in fact I haven't even set up opera properly yet. All I've done was install it and checked that it worked on the two 64 bit pups I have. Last time I used opera I think was opera 10 and I've not used a VPN so I'm probably not really equipped to give a take on using opera's VPN.

Regards,

Ken.

April

Post by April »

Opera 's VPN appears to work well.
You can set it up to use a choice of locations Europe ,America,Asia and Optimum although I'm not sure where optimum puts you .

You will notice loading say Facebook ,Utube etc that America is very slow loading ,like 10 seconds ,whereas if you change it to Asia they load in two seconds . Reckon thats a chinese implanted bug somewhere .

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

xenial

Post by xenial »

Opera does not contain a true VPN but is in fact an https proxy server.Thought this should be pointed out in case users became misinformed.
I personally would not touch opera with a 10ft pole as it is now. :(

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

xenial wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:11 pm

Opera does not contain a true VPN but is in fact an https proxy server.Thought this should be pointed out in case users became misinformed.
I personally would not touch opera with a 10ft pole as it is now. :(

Heh. Anything to do with it being 3 parts owned by the Chinese consortium behind Qihoo 360..? (*cough*) :D

(Look it up if you don't know; it's an AV suite much in favour with Chinese users still running pirated copies of Windows XP, more than 7 years after EOL..! :roll:)

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, all.

O-kay. New release of Opera - v76.0.4017.123 - so here's the new 'portable' package. Look for it at the link in post #1.

Includes 'explainer' for the multiple 'LAUNCH' scripts. If you've not used these portable packages before, please take the time to read this first.

Thanks to all who've contributed to this one over time. Y'all know who you are..!

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

Here's the new Opera-'portable'. The current release came out a few days ago, but I'm starting to use this more & more again.....especially since they introduced the multiple workspaces thing, allowing you to group open tabs by interest/category. (And you can shut down with everything open.....and find it all exactly as you left it next time. Neat idea.)

You can find the Puppy package of Opera-portable v77.0.4054.90 at the usual link in post #1.

Download, unzip, place it anywhere outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click the appropriate 'LAUNCH' script to fire it up (the 'Launch scripts' explainer will tell you which one to use.)

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

fredx181

Opera-portable appimage

Post by fredx181 »

Here's Portable Appimage for Opera latest (source is Mike's portable):

64-bit: https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... Bcz63DYLS0
EDIT: Re-uploaded with fix for playing DRM protected material (Widevine).
EDIT2: Re-uploaded. Fixed that it didn't show in the Puppy Menu, should now appear in category "Internet"
Make it executable before running. Will create "opera-profile" dir at the same level as the appimage.

Created as described here (by modifying the variables in the cr-appimage2 script and replace icon with Opera icon) :
viewtopic.php?p=29851#p29851 (and see also here: viewtopic.php?p=28697#p28697)
(should add a menu entry, .desktop launcher created in ~/.local/share/applications)

Fred

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Cheers, Fred! :thumbup:

Mike. :D

fredx181

Re: Opera-portable appimage

Post by fredx181 »

Re-uploaded Opera Appimage see EDIT2 here: viewtopic.php?p=29856#p29856

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang.

The current release of Opera-portable has been re-uploaded. Added is the ability to now add a menu Entry, if so required.

Available, as always, from the link in post #1.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

April

Post by April »

Mike a question . I use opera with a vpn where I can and seamonkey where I can't.

I was questioned by a user to see I can access some soft porn sites and watch vids easily but cannot record with ffmpeg?

The recorded videos are being corrupted by something and I wonder if you have found this and found a way round it.
Its annoying because I notice it is being picked up and used all over the net .

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@April :-

Um.....o-kay. Subject matter notwithstanding (what you do with your browser is of course entirely your own affair! :D), you've, er, lost me. Exactly what is it that's being "picked up and used all over the net"..?

And what does this have to do with ffmpeg? C'mon, man.....help some seriously-challenged grey cells out here, would ya? :)

Some 'clarification' would be appreciated. I take it you're trying to record videos, yes? Screen capture apps might be the way to go, here; ffmpeg is for two kinds of people.....serious geeks, or masochists!. And I, for one, am neither.....:roll:

What are you running these days?

Mike. ;)

April

Post by April »

Straight forward . Use ffconvert in the menu which uses ffmpeg to record a porn video from the screen and it will come out movement distorted . Try it .
You know its a fact of life . Millions of people watch porn every day . Nothing shameful in that . Its even humorous at times.

Seems there is a software being used that allows you to watch a video live but not record it with ffconvert /ffmpeg. Does not matter which ffmpeg or puppy you use.
If you study the ffconvert screen you can record from various sources and its quite easy to use if you learn. Its not geek stuff that's for sure.

This marking shows up often I see.

DMCA.jpg
DMCA.jpg (3.45 KiB) Viewed 4479 times

April

Post by April »

I see you don't know much about it so I am going to put it in a separate post Mike .

It will get more exposure and there will be video specialists out there that will have solved this already . Thanks for your help .

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v78.0.4093.147

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

Here's the new, Puppy 'portable' version of Opera v78.0.4093.147.

Brilliant as ever...

-----------------------------------

The "LaunchReadMe" file explains which of the launch scripts to use.

Scripts are included for adding a MenuEntry, should it be required. This is sym-linked to wherever the current location is; the "MenuReadMe" explains how to use this, and what to do if you move the 'portable'.

The browser profile is created at the top level. To continue using your existing profile, merely replace this with your own, and re-name to suit. Easiest way is to maintain a copy of your profile in a separate location, then all you need to do is to sym-link this into the top level before firing Opera up.

The entire thing CAN be kept on, and run from a flash-drive. Keep your 'PROFILE' alongside, and sym-link it in at upgrade time. True 'portability'!

----------------------------------

Available from the usual link in post #1.

As always; d/l; unzip; move the portable directory to anywhere you want, though preferably outside the 'save'. Click to enter, then launch with the appropriate 'LAUNCH' script for your Puppy.

Credits to all who've helped with this over time. Y'all know who you are; I couldn't have done it without you guys!

Any probs, you know where to find me. Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v78.0.4093.147

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, y'all.

Okay. It's new version time again. Here's the Puppy-portable version of Opera v79.0.4143.50.....based around Chromium 93.

I'm done making major changes with the portable's format for the time being. I've settled on a layout I'm satisfied with, and will eventually incorporate this into all the browser packages I maintain for the community.

-------------------------------------

Don't forget; the whole point of the 'PROFILE' being created at the top level, and then sym-linked into the main directory at run-time, is so that those of you with a profile from the previous version can just drop it into place. If it already exists, Opera will find it, pick it up, and use it. All in the name of 'ease-of-use' for you guys & gals.

D/l; unzip; place wherever you like.....though preferably outside the 'save'.

The included scripts allow the addition of a Menu entry from the portables 'current' location, if so desired. The 'MenuReadMe' explains usage.

------------------------------------

As always, you can find the new release at the main link in post #1. Issues/problems/feedback, etc, drop me a line.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v80.0.4170.63

Post by mikewalsh »

Right, boys'n'girls. New release time again.

Here's the Puppy-portable version of Opera v80.0.4170.63.

----------------------------------------------

I feel I probably owe y'all an apology for the last version. I didn't find out till later that NetFlix, YouTube, indeed ANY video-streaming site wasn't working....and by the time I HAD a spare moment to look into what was going on, multiple other stuff had driven it out of my mind. After a fair bit of research, and reading up on the "issue" back & forth between 4 or 5 websites, I feel I now have a good grasp of why this happens.

It all revolves around the media-codecs package.....libffmpeg.so (as with every Chromium-based clone). Some browser builders have licences to include proprietary media codecs, and these will provide a sufficiently up-to-date libffmpeg.so for stuff to work. Others - like Opera, apparently - don't have this licence, and therefore rely on the system having a new enough libffmpeg.so for them to make use of. Because - and this is the thing about it....

.....the libffmpeg.so package used by the 'clones' has to be re-compiled & re-built for EVERY SINGLE MAJOR RELEASE OF THE BROWSER. (And no; libffmpeg - as used in the browser - is NOT the same thing as the 'ffmpeg' that you'll find amongst the system files, generally in /usr/bin. For a start, one's an executable binary, whereas the other is a dynamic shared library.....both of which are accessed/used in totally different ways.)

Anyway; following instructions supplied by a recently-updated blog post on Reddit, I now know that for amateur package-builders like myself, each major new browser release entails trawling around a good half-dozen sites in search of a "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" package that matches the specific version your browser 'clone' has been based around. Seems there's a small community of folks out there who spend time supplying the 'ancillary' packages like this that are required by many bigger apps/packages/software items. Sometimes, one from a newer version will enable the desired functionality.....but an older one never will, and will always throw a spanner in the works.

--------------------------------------

Although I've now built an updater script for the Chrome-portables, this would be out of the question for Opera, given that the package you're searching for/downloading here will have a different name every single time (and you can't extrapolate it from any 'internal' info strings the browser itself might be able to supply.)

The Chrome updater works because the .deb download always has the exact same name every single time.....and I strongly suspect Google re-compile the main "chrome" shared library against a static ffmpeg, so as to remove yet another potentially awkward variable from the equation. It's stuff like this that's the reason WHY Chrome is so popular.....because it's simple to use, and requires minimal messing-around to get working, even when re-packaged. (The head-scratching I had in order to get the Puppy-portable version working - with the internal, 'mini' spot directory - was a purely Puppy issue.)

Opera, because of the afore-mentioned issues, is always going to be a 'manual' build.... :evil:

That's enough of my ramblings..!

------------------------------------

For anyone who wants it, you can find the new Opera-portable package at the usual location in post #1. As always; d/l; unzip; move the portable directory anywhere you like, though preferably outside the 'save'. Click to enter, then launch with the appropriate 'LAUNCH' script (the 'LaunchReadMe' will tell you which one you need for your Pup).

Additional scripts permit the addition of a Menu entry, should one be required. (The 'MenuReadMe' explains how to use these.)

Have fun. Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

keniv

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v80.0.4170.63

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh
Hi Mike,
Have just installed v80.0.4170.63. Working in Buster Dog, EasyOS 2.9 and Fossapup 9.5.

I didn't find out till later that NetFlix, YouTube, indeed ANY video-streaming site wasn't working

Don't use NetFlix and usually use YouTubeGet so cannot comment on this. Posting from it now.

Regards,

Ken.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”