Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v95.0.4653.46

Post by mikewalsh »

josejp2424 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:54 am

thanks @mikewalsh .
It is excellent. very good work. :thumbup2:

@josejp2424 :-

Glad you like it.....though I will only take credit for the packaging, and the additional scripts for a Menu entry. The browser is what it is.....and the concept came from Fred, though it's something I'd wanted to create ever since I started with Puppy nearly a decade ago. Fred's original 'portable' Firefox just gave me the required nudge to actually do something about it.

Big thanks must go to seaside for major help with the 'LAUNCH' script.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v97.0.4719.63

Post by mikewalsh »

Hi, gang.

New release of Opera-portable - v97.0.4719.63 - based around Chromium 112.

Same as always.....and as good as ever. Download link as in post #1.

----------------------------------------------------

As usual:-

• Download

• Unzip

• Move the portable anywhere you like - preferably, outside the 'save'

• Click to enter

• Click 'LAUNCH' to fire-it up

A Menu-entry can be added from wherever Opera-portable is situated, if one is desired, using the resident MenuAdd/MenuRemove scripts.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v104.0.4944.54

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang.

Now; it's new release time once more.

I haven't updated this for some time - I apologise to those of you who may have been wanting newer versions - but I had a spell of several months where Opera simply wouldn't let me log-in to the Puppy Forums. New profiles, regularly clearing the cache, disabling/removing extensions, etc.....nothing seemed to work. It was the only site out of thousands that exhibited this behaviour, so I reasoned there was in all likelihood something about the site's certification that Opera didn't like. Thus, it got put on the "back burner" for a while, and I used other browsers instead.

At long last, everything is "tickety-boo" again..!

---------------------------------------

This is now Opera v104, based on Chromium 118. They've re-named it "Opera One" for some reason - perhaps to differentiate it from the gaming build, Opera GX. The thing's had a subtle re-style; lots more rounded corners, smoother lines, a slightly 'softer' look overall. It appeals very much to my personal sense of aesthetics; for myself, I really like this new build.......it's extremely professional-looking now.

All the usual Opera 'goodies' are still there, including the suite of fancy tab-management tools AND the ability to separate your regularly-used sites out into "workspaces", so you can group similar sites together. This last one really tidies things up, especially for those of us with plenty of RAM that keep a fair number of tabs 'on-the-go' at the same time.......even more so, given that you can shut Opera's 'state-of-play' down with a single click, and when you re-launch it you have all your open tabs still grouped exactly as they were when you last shut-down.

Nice one!

--------------------------------------

You can find the new release at the usual location in post #1......along with the usual instructions for how to use the portables.

Enjoy! :thumbup: :D

Mike. ;)

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Updated, installed and testing.

It runs like hell.- Really good.- I don't need the included VPN, but it is an interesting resource.

AMAZING

It looks really good.- THANKS AGAIN

----------------- EDITED:

1.- When you start opera, it never starts MAXIMICED.- Can you please tell me what must I edit at LAUNCH to make it start this way ? THANKS
(I did it and it appears to be working ok. In Opera go Menu > Settings. In the "On startup" section select "Retain tabs from previous session" (optionally select "Display the start page first" option if you want that). This seems to cause Opera to remember the window size when it was closed and to reinstate that size. So maximize the Opera window and then close and reopen Opera to see if it now opens full-screen, but it is not useful if I wanna speed dial first...)

2.- 14 hours with opera 104.- https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/ ... opera-104/

3.- I love opera SIDEBAR and its configuration options..... AI, RRSS, Whats, Telegr. Tik, Insta....

4.- Excellent the plugin SAVE FROM NET HELPER.... download faster instagram vids and much more

5.- Fantastic OPERA OPTION / Translation- When you wanna trasnlate something, you only need to select it with your mouse and these options appear: (VID IMAGE)

1.- EXPLAIN BRIEFLY
2.- EXPLORE TOPIC
3.- TRANSLATE

FANTASTIC OPTION FOR EVERYBODY, BUT SPECIALLY FOR PEAPLE WHO WORK WITH DIFFERENT LENGUAGES.

6.- Here is a comparison btw Opera AND chrome. https://www.opera.com/compare/opera-vs- ... 20browser.

7.- Useful search function.- You can select a word (left click on it and mark) and then when you ritght click you hace the option of a standard search (using default search engine) or choose and option to SEARCH WITH..... where you can choose different searchers.

pp4mnklinux

Is it possible to include an update file?

Post by pp4mnklinux »

@mikewalsh

Hello everybody:

It is not a "real necessity" but could be possible to create a file to update opera like you develop it for slimjet or chrome?

Now opera is with version 105. Could be possible to update to it?

Thanks a lot.

And my sincere congrats for your work, @mikewalsh

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@pp4mnklinux :-

Probably best left to @fredx181 , this one.

The only packages I, personally, wrote updaters for were what I call "simple" ones. The downloads were simply a name.....and always the same name at that.

Opera, like Brave, Slimjet & Ungoogled Chromium, always has a version number in the download name. And this number changes for every version. Fred understands how to work with this change of version number, but I never could figure it out.

He's the fella to ask about this. Not me.

Sorry!

Mike. ;)

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi:

First of all, thanks a lot, Mike, @mikewalsh, for your quick answer.

@fredx181

Probably best left to @fredx181 , this one.

The only packages I, personally, wrote updaters for were what I call "simple" ones. The downloads were simply a name.....and always the same name at that.

Opera, like Brave, Slimjet & Ungoogled Chromium, always has a version number in the download name. And this number changes for every version. Fred understands how to work with this change of version number, but I never could figure it out.

He's the fella to ask about this. Not me.

Hi Fred, as I asked to mike (you can read it at previous post) I am interested about an updater for opera (similar to those who exist for Slimjet or Chrome or...).

I tried to do something similar, but I didn't obtain good resulsts. I consider this option (an updater for the portable opera browser) really useful for most puppy /opera users.

Can you please (If you have some free time) try to develop it ?

Thanks a lot, have a nice weed off of you. CHEERS. :arrow: :idea:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Here's updater for @mikewalsh Opera-portable, please test, i'm not sure if it's final version, from my tests it works OK though.
EDIT 28 NOV 2023: Removed link for now, needs a fix EDIT: Made some changes, should be fixed .
Download UpdateOpera.tar.gz: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/scl/f ... 7n9qj&dl=1
Extract UpdateOpera.tar.gz in the Opera-portable64 directory and run from there in terminal ./UpdateOpera
It contains script 'UpdateOpera' and 'ar', which is an appimage (it includes 'ar' and library 'libbfd-2.24-system.so'), ar is used to extract a .deb package, this included 'ar appimage' is for in case 'ar' is not installed in the system.

Limitation compared to some other Update... scripts for @mikewalsh portables is that this cannot check for current Opera-portable version installed, but at start of script it's clearly showing which .deb version is used for update ,(so you can compare it with currently installed Opera-portable version (in Opera > Help > About) to check for what's the latest version).

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Thanks a lot @fredx181 ;

I did what you told me, extract both files into the opera folder, run it with terminal but as you can see at the attached image there is a small problem.- Should I answer yes or not......

Thanks a lot

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Why not say yes to the question ? (or you think the question should be better phrased ?) I don't know of a good way that the opera version installed can be checked, but if you know there's an update available, go ahead.
EDIT: limitation as described at the end of my previous post.

pp4mnklinux

UPDATED TO Opera One (version: 105.0.4970.21) : Opera-portable - New release : v104.0.4944.54

Post by pp4mnklinux »

@fredx181 , thanks for your help. Your updater works fantastic.

As you can see there was no problem updating.

@mikewalsh , it could be a good idea include this updater /with a "how to" file, into your opera portable 64, do you think so?

As I said, thanks a lot for your help, cheers :thumbup2:

fredx181

Re: UPDATED TO 105 : Opera-portable - New release : v104.0.4944.54

Post by fredx181 »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:10 pm

@fredx181 , thanks for your help. Your updater works fantastic.

As you can see there was no problem updating.

Thanks pp4mnklinux that's nice.
You may have a point btw that the first message can be more clear, I may change that later to something more sounding like "comfortable" :D
EDIT: Or leave that up to @mikewalsh ;)

pp4mnklinux

Problem with OPERA 105...you should know it before update.

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello everybody:

I have a problem with opera 105 and I wanna advise you just in case.

It doesn't reproduce videos in streaming.

Impossible reproduce videos in Twitter, Instagram.... so consider it when updating.

It is possible it only happens to me.... sniff, sniff... but make a copy of your 104 opera folder before update, so you can go back if you have this problem.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@pp4mnklinux Probably I made a mistake with the update script (removed link in post above), will try to find a fix later edit: should be fixed now, see EDIT below.
Can you test the following ? (and see if that solves the problem):
Copy from the "old" opera folder (by mikewalsh) lib_extra/libffmpeg.so to (new) opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so so that it gets overwritten and start opera again.
edit: In other words, the new opera version may not be the cause of the problem, @mikewalsh you know more about the custom libffmpeg.so that you (probably?) added ?

EDIT: Made some changes for the UpdateOpera script, link renewed, here: viewtopic.php?p=104486#p104486
Now, when updating it will preserve the custom additions from Mike (e.g. libffmpeg.so , WidevineCdm), anyway, make sure that the libffmpeg.so in opera/lib_extra is the bigger one (17MB +) from the original Opera-portable64/lib_extra .

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@fredx181 :-

I doubt it's your fault, Fred. What you MAY or may not know is that the entire saga of video playback under the current Blink-based Opera is one of near-Biblical proportions!

If you join their forums, and scan through them, there is a disproportionate number of threads on this subject compared to any other Chromium-based 'clone'. It's why I've resisted bothering with an updater for this one.......because the way libffmpeg.so functions in Opera, they themselves - like Slimjet - only supply a basic version that will enable you to fire the browser up. For video playback, they've always recommended use of a specific third-party build of libffmpeg that is hosted at Github.....and the build version of this changes for every major version release of Opera. And sometimes, it doesn't work!

I've always needed to mess around with this one manually, experimenting with various different combos to find one that makes everything functional. There's no guaranteed method that permits reliable automation of the process, unlike, say, with Chrome.......because in Google's case, 'libffmpeg' has been built-in to the huge 'shared library' that comprises the bulk of the Chrome browser. The user doesn't need to faff about grabbing bits from different locations, because it all just works.

Opera's own auto-updater has been provided as a compiled binary, so cannot be modified.....yet even so, ONLY automates updating the browser itself. Media playback is never guaranteed with this one.....

Mike. :|

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

I agree with @mikewalsh , you made a fantastic work, @fredx181 , as I said, and the problem with twitter and insta vids is something users are talking about.... don't worry, the differences / improvements between 104 and 105 are so small that I don't wanna change the versión.... (110 could be different, hahah)

Thanks a lot and forget this "demmand". I think users must continue with version 104 / we are not going to repair opera developers errors, hahha

Thanks a lot and have a nice day.

CHEERS

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@pp4mnklinux Ok, still I'd appreciate if you test 105 with opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so from Mike's original 104 to see if it solves the problem you mentioned.
For me it makes a difference, didn't test much though.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

fredx181 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:00 pm

@pp4mnklinux Ok, still I'd appreciate if you test 105 with opera/lib_extra/libffmpeg.so from Mike's original 104 to see if it solves the problem you mentioned.
For me it makes a difference, didn't test much though.

SOLVED.... changing this file, opera works...

FANTASTIC (I can't upload here the vid, so I include a link https://youtu.be/IF8lfhlaqYY

Now I gonna change again to 105, HAHHAHA

Thanks a lot Fred.

Have a nice day

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

If anybody wants the URL for the 3rd-party libffmpeg.so build that Opera recommend - for experimentation, like - it's here:-

https://github.com/Ld-Hagen/fix-opera-l ... e/releases

Might prove useful for some of you.

Mike. ;)

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:53 pm

If anybody wants the URL for the 3rd-party libffmpeg.so build that Opera recommend - for experimentation, like - it's here:-

Mike. ;)

Thanks, looks like it's the same (or similar) as the one you did include in Opera-portable , right ?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

fredx181 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:00 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:53 pm

Mike. ;)

Thanks, looks like it's the same (or similar) as the one you did include in Opera-portable , right ?

@fredx181 :-

I believe it's currently using 0.82.0, yes. I forget, exactly; sometimes a newer build will work with an older Chromium "base", sometimes it won't. It's a wee bit hit'n'miss, TBH..!

Use of the "lib_extra" directory is what was recommended by the Opera community, a couple of years back. It worked, so I still use it.

Ld-Hagen re-compiles this for each new major Chromium version. It doesn't say, but I believe it's a static compilation. Sometimes it'll be a bit larger, sometimes a bit smaller. It's never the exact same size in 2 consecutive builds, though....

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Okay, guys; update time.

Here's the current build, based around Chromium 122 - v108.0.5067.40. I apologise for the delay; if ya want to blame anybody, blame @fredx181 ! The updaters he scripted for most of the portables are so good, and so reliable, they've made me lazy.....because of these, I've got out of the habit of regularly updating the portable browsers because I haven't needed to...

Of course, there's always exceptions to the rule.....and Opera is one of the remaining portables that doesn't yet have an updater script. So; there ya go.

The new version can be found at the usual link in post #1. Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v108.0.5067.40

Post by rockedge »

@mikewalsh Nice! Works from the same storage location on both KLV's and Puppy Linux's depending on what's booted.

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v109.0.5097.45

Post by mikewalsh »

Update time again...

Here's v109.0.5097.45 of Opera-portable, guys. You can find it at the usual link in post #1.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Return to “Browsers and Internet”