Opera-portable - New release : v109.0.5097.45

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v80.0.4170.63

Post by mikewalsh »

keniv wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:40 pm

@mikewalsh
Hi Mike,
Have just installed v80.0.4170.63. Working in Buster Dog, EasyOS 2.9 and Fossapup 9.5.

I didn't find out till later that NetFlix, YouTube, indeed ANY video-streaming site wasn't working

Don't use NetFlix and usually use YouTubeGet so cannot comment on this. Posting from it now.

Regards,

Ken.

Good, good. Glad to hear it's working for ya. Enjoy it....

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v84.0.4316.31

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

Sorry for the delay on this one. Opera's been acting-up a bit in recent months, so I decided to put it on the "back burner" until it had quit throwing video playback tantrums!

Here's the new Puppy-portable release of Opera 84.0.4316.31. Nothing new to report, TBH; still running as well as it ever did, along with all of Opera's built-in goodness.

I've tracked down a new source for the libffmpeg.so modules - this is the one that's critical for media playback of any kind, streaming OR otherwise, and MUST be compiled against the specific Chromium version the browser is based upon - which seem to work A-OK. These were located via reddit. I've also "borrowed" the latest Widevine stuff from current Chrome, this being the best possible source for it.

Unfortunately, Opera appears to now need a minimum of glibc 2.29, seemingly dictated by whoever compiled the libffmpeg.so module. I tried 3 or 4 sources for these and, to a man, they've been compiled on ultra-new, bang-up-to-date systems, all of which are running very recent versions of the glibc. So, basically, it's Fossapup64 ONLY for this one now.....or anything running glibc v2.29 or newer.

Nowt I can do about this, I'm afraid.....because unless a suitable libffmpeg.so is present & correct, the thing won't even fire-up (one of the very few 'quirks' common to ALL the 'clones'). In large part, this is entirely dictated by the age of the system they've been compiled in, Google going out of their way to compile the source code for Chrome on as old a system as they can get away with.....because this makes it available to as large a user-base as possible, and helps keep their market-share up!

Accordingly, I've now updated my personal 64-bit 'chroot' to Fossapup64.....which gives me the ability to even run Opera under Quirky April 7.0.1 (this being Tahrpup-era..!)

-----------------------------

Download link in post #1. D'l; unzip; locate wherever you like. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up, as always. Scripts permit the addition of a Menu entry, should one be required.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

BobW

Post by BobW »

Here's the new Puppy-portable release of Opera 84.0.4316.31.

Thanks very much for doing this, Mike. It's very much appreciated. Starts right up, runs smooth.

But I do get: "You are using an unsupported command line flag --no-sandbox Stability and security will suffer."

• FossaPup64-9.5

• Lenovo laptop, Ryzen5 3500U with Radeon Vega Graphics; Realtek wifi and sound - needs a higher kernel (>5.4)

• Win10 with VirtualBox6.1

• using LICK1.3.4 for dual boot

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

BobW wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:26 am

Here's the new Puppy-portable release of Opera 84.0.4316.31.

Thanks very much for doing this, Mike. It's very much appreciated. Starts right up, runs smooth.

But I do get: "You are using an unsupported command line flag --no-sandbox Stability and security will suffer."

That's because of using the "--test-type" switch in the wrapper script.....which needs to be used together with the "--no-sandbox" one. All so it will run-as-root. This is common to all Chromium-based 'clones', since they all share a common code-base under the hood.

Most stuff these days is built for mainstream distros, which are set up for 'normal users' with restricted permissions, and no access to the system itself.....

I've never tried building a 'run-as-spot' version of this, 'cos I don't think anyone's been that bothered about it. I'll have to look into it.

Glad ya like it!

Mike. ;)

BobW

Post by BobW »

"You are using an unsupported command line flag --no-sandbox Stability and security will suffer."

All so it will run-as-root.

Thanks for the explanation, Mike. Now I won't give the warning another thought.

Naturally, I always change from google as being the default search. There is a small oddity: I can restart Opera and the change sticks. But if I reboot Fossa, Opera reverts to having google as default search. This is not a complaint, just an FYI. Yes, I'm using a Save file.

I also found, from your sig, your adaptation of 'BitMeter OS'. Very useful. Keep up the good work.

• FossaPup64-9.5

• Lenovo laptop, Ryzen5 3500U with Radeon Vega Graphics; Realtek wifi and sound - needs a higher kernel (>5.4)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@BobW :-

First thing I do is to click the banner off, as soon as the GUI comes up. It's just automatic now; I do it without even thinking about it.

I also found, from your sig, your adaptation of 'BitMeter OS'. Very useful. Keep up the good work.

Coo, that takes me back a few years. I'd been using it under Ubuntu for quite a while before I moved to Puppy in late 2014.

I introduced it to the community in May the following year:-

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=99025

We'd been with British Telecom for many years, but getting broadband and a router only happened about 12 years back. I soon found out the buggers had a usage cap on the plan we were on - only 20 GB a month - which didn't go that far. So, I needed summat to keep an eye on data usage.....and, after a lot of research found Rob Dawson's "Codebox" website. BitMeterOS fitted the bill perfectly, and logically ran IN the browser itself (which is where you incur the data usage anyway.)

We went "unlimited" a while back, but I still use it to keep an eye on things....

Nice to know it's still useful. Rob Dawson himself came on the forum to see how we were getting on with it after I dropped him a line in the comments section...

Mike. ;)

BobW

Post by BobW »

@mikewalsh I see you've got a lot of history here. :thumbup2:

• FossaPup64-9.5

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v86.0.4363.59

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

New version time again. The little "O" in the top left corner turned red the night before last, letting me know I was 2 versions behind, so.....here is v86.0.4363.59, packaged in the usual Puppy-portable format, and based around Chromium v100.

Still loaded with all that Opera goodness. And will still need Bionicpup64 or newer, due to the version of libffmpeg it requires.....unless you run it in a chroot like I do, so that older Puppies can still make use of it..! I "upgraded" to a Fossapup64-based chroot a couple of months ago, since some apps were starting to turn their noses up at the previous Xenialpup-based version.

------------------------------------

Be that as it may, it still runs as well as ever. Download is available from post #1, and the usual round of thanks are due to all those who helped me get this first-ever, Chromium-based Puppy-portable off the ground a couple of years ago.

As always:-

• Download.

• Unzip.

• Move the portable's directory anywhere you want, outside the "save".

• Click to enter.

• Click 'LAUNCH' to run it AS a 'portable, or make use of the included scripts if you want to add a Menu entry for greater system integration.

Have fun, mes amis!

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v89.0.4447.71

Post by mikewalsh »

.....annd it's new version time again.

We're now at v89.0.4447.71, based around Chromium 103.0.5060.134.

Same as always, and still just as innovative.....unlike the team behind its "offspring", Vivaldi, who have made some frankly daft design decisions over the last 18 months or so. Built-in arcade games? An internet "pause" feature? Huh?? Hell-o, Vivaldi devs.....this is supposed to be a browser, y'know?

Opera's sidebar, giving access to chat-clients, music clients & its "workspaces" feature beats Vivaldi hands-down in my book. Opera's design is mature & well thought-out, where Vivaldi is a bit like the brash young "new kid on the block", determined to show off all his bling in the hopes of impressing everyone.

It's not all bad, of course. Vivaldi's not a bad browser, but I just DO wish they'd quit adding silly features to it. That's just me, of course.....it's rapidly gaining a loyal following, so there must be folks out there who like that stuff!! :D

I digress.

----------------------------------------------------------

Download available from the usual link in post #1, for anyone who's interested. Usual instructions apply - plenty of previous references in this thread - along with the ability to add a Menu entry if required for better system integration.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v89.04447.71

Post by mikewalsh »

New release time, boys & girls. We're now at v90.0.4480.84 (based on Chromium 104).

As good as always. Runs natively in Bionicpup64 or newer.

Available from the usual link in post #1. Follow the standard usage instructions.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

April

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v90.0.4480.84

Post by April »

Thanks Mike ,

I am getting an error message when trying to download from MEGA. Screenshot here
Even if I am logged in to MEGA it still gives me this message ?

OperaPortableErrorSept22.jpg
OperaPortableErrorSept22.jpg (52.7 KiB) Viewed 2352 times

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@April :-

From what I can glean by some quick research, free MEGA.nz accounts are restricted to 5GB of data downloads per day. So if you're downloading a lot of stuff every day, you WILL get this message come up.

The recommended fix? Wait just 24 hrs. This "transfer quota" resets itself on a daily basis.

------------------------------------------------------

I've said quite recently on here, I simply cannot mirror the entire contents of my Puppy software across each and every one of my 3 separate cloud accounts, in order to accommodate different users.....much as I might like to. For one thing, it would take a massive amount of work, and for another, I just don't have the space. Or the time. And I don't use them enough to warrant upgrading to a paid plan with a huge amount of extra space.

I did a quick totting-up the other day. I have somewhere around 800 different Puppy packages available to Puppy users in total. Please understand that although I provide these as a service to the community, free of charge, I, too, have to work within the limitations imposed by the different providers' free accounts.

Don't take this as a reflection upon you. It isn't. It's simply a fact.

Mike. ;)

April

Post by April »

Nah it looks like they have a bug there or your settings are'nt right . I have not downloaded from there fro many months but I am a member.

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

See if this works for you. We'll use a short-term file host this time:-

https://ufile.io/3vilp0tf

It'll be there for 30 days. Let me know how ya get on, please.

Mike. ;)

April

Post by April »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:58 am

See if this works for you. We'll use a short-term file host this time:-
https://ufile.io/3vilp0tf
It'll be there for 30 days. Let me know how ya get on, please.
Mike. ;)

I got it down 2 days later thanks.

I am finding Opera is moving gradually away from software I will be using in the future.
They seem to have fallen into that power vacuum that seems to swallow common sense and make mere mortal programmers think of themselves as Gods.

Lastpass as an extension is being discouraged .
Adblock also is being manipulated to not install or install a bit but need more etc. They don't want you to use Adblock but rather their own poor substitute.
DuckDuckGo won't even run now no matter what you do . It does not install properly and you just get a blank box.

As far as I am concerned these extensions are critical to a browser.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Mm. Strange.

I am finding Opera is moving gradually away from software I will be using in the future.
They seem to have fallen into that power vacuum that seems to swallow common sense and make mere mortal programmers think of themselves as Gods...

...as far as I am concerned these extensions are critical to a browser.

One man's meat being another man's poison, perhaps? Not everybody sees the same range of extensions as either useful OR desirable. Perhaps one of their devs doesn't like the extensions you use, and sees no point in letting them install.... Just a thought.

----------------------------------------------

LastPass has never given me issues, regardless of the browser I run it in.

AdBlock; can't say. I use AdGuard, personally.

As for DuckDuckGo.....I've never bothered with "installing" it. All I do is to run it directly in the browser; It's pretty much replaced Google for me, though I will occasionally use the latter for certain things DDG seems incapable of finding.

https://duckduckgo.com

Are you sure this isn't another example of the Australian government's recent "crackdowns" on a lot of Internet practices? Or perhaps your IP has been told to blacklist certain sites as undesirable....

----------------------------------------

The thing I like best about Opera is its ability to group tabs into "workspaces". I find this far more effective than Vivaldi's 'tab stacking'. But that's just me.

Mike. ;)

April

Post by April »

Well we know by the md5 sum that the file you use is the same as the one I use.
So your install is the same as mine so why would the extensions not work in mine>
I can start a fresh boot and savefile and run opera and it still does not install them .

Opera has always been averse also to running it as root .
If some programmer is going to behave like that then I'm out of Opera all together. That is my point .

Improve the quality for root linux users or loose them.

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v91.04516.65

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang.

Update time again, so here's the Puppy-portable version of v91.0.4516.65.

Nothing new to report; just more of the same, and working smoothly as always. Good stuff!

--------------------------------------------------------

Download available from the link in post #1. As always:-

• D/l

• Unzip

• Move the portable anywhere you like, though preferably outside the 'save'.

• Click to enter

• Click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up

Scripts permit adding a menu entry if one is wanted, otherwise simply run from the 'LAUNCH' script every time.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

April

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v91.0.4516.65

Post by April »

hey Mike there is a major problem with this . See my post on loosing desktop icons . Its this "LAUNCH" script that is causing it!!

April

Post by April »

Well Mike you have gone to ground. Have you been able to work out why the launch button should cause these problems?

April

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v91.04516.65

Post by April »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:18 am

Morning, gang.

Update time again, so here's the Puppy-portable version of v91.0.4516.65.

Nothing new to report; just more of the same, and working smoothly as always. Good stuff!

--------------------------------------------------------

Download available from the link in post #1. As always:-

• D/l

• Unzip

• Move the portable anywhere you like, though preferably outside the 'save'.

• Click to enter

• Click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up

Scripts permit adding a menu entry if one is wanted, otherwise simply run from the 'LAUNCH' script every time.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

NEEDS FIXING MIKE

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

See here:- viewtopic.php?p=73108#p73108

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v92.0.4561.33

Post by mikewalsh »

Upgrade time again, gang.....so here's the Puppy-portable package of Opera v92.0.4561.33.

Everything working tickety-boo. No issues to report.

----------------------------------------

Upload link as always in post #1.

Thanks, again, to all who helped to hone this first-ever portable 'clone' into a working package. Y'all know who you are.

Enjoy. Any probs, let us know & we'll try and get to the bottom of them....

Mike. ;)

tosim

Post by tosim »

Latest release is: v92.0.4561.43.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

tosim wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:15 pm

Latest release is: v92.0.4561.43.

Huh. Must've updated the damn thing since I downloaded earlier this afternoon.

Hell. It's close enough; I'm not THAT fussy! :lol:

Mike. ;)

tosim

Post by tosim »

@mikewalsh Neither am I. BTW-Many THANKS for all you do here.

April

Post by April »

Thought to revisit this and see if I could get it to run for me .
It didn't and some further investigation gave me this result for https://download5.operacdn.com/pub/oper ... _amd64.deb .

getting the latest today from opera gave me this error
I wonder if you could tell me Mike why the latest version gives this fault and what I can do about that please.
Opera Version:94.0.4606.38 works ?
I know I have the portable and standard mixed but I'm looking to find out where those symbols would be hiding.
I followed your note and see what was happening I think . But running the suggested " /usr/lib/opera/opera.bin --no-sandbox" now does not work either.
I have been using that command for about 3 months successfully up until now but it changed today with the new download and deb install.

Code: Select all

root# /usr/lib/opera/opera.bin --no-sandbox
/usr/lib/opera/opera.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/opera/opera.bin: undefined symbol: gbm_bo_get_modifier
root# 

Code: Select all

root# ./opera.bin
./opera.bin: symbol lookup error: ./opera.bin: undefined symbol: gbm_bo_get_modifier
root# ./opera
/usr/lib/opera/opera.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/opera/opera.bin: undefined symbol: gbm_bo_get_modifier
root# 

mikewalsh

Re: Opera-portable - New release : v95.0.4653.46

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, gang.

Been a while since I uploaded a new version of the portable build, so here's v95.0.4635.46.....released 3 days ago.

All working beautifully, and very smoothly.......as always.

--------------------------------------------

Now includes the additional dependencies that were mandated by the Chromium Project a couple of months ago . Primarily libdrm and libgbm, along with their requirements...

Link, as always, can be found in post #1 (along with usage instructions).

Give this new build a try, please. I suspect these new lib requirements came in around the time you last tried this portable, and had no luck with it. At that point, I wasn't aware this had happened, and is why I couldn't understand the problems you were having.

Let us know what happens with it. If you're still running standard Xenialpup64, you shouldn't have any trouble with it now. I've just tested it in a pristine Xenialpup64, and for me, it's working fine.

Thanks, as always, to those who helped get this very first Chromium-based portable browser up-and-running. Y'all know who you are; I couldn't have done it without you.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

April

Post by April »

Works a treat thanks Mike.

josejp2424

Post by josejp2424 »

thanks @mikewalsh .
It is excellent. very good work. :thumbup2:

Return to “Browsers and Internet”