nmail - console-based email client for Linux and macOS

Moderator: Forum moderators

geo_c

Re: nmail - console-based email client for Linux and macOS

Post by geo_c »

stemsee wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:29 pm

I am using fatdog. I want to add email capability to an app I have been working on.

That fatdog is a different animal. I booted it up a few times, it's nice but I'm so fluent on pups that I never got around using it.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

I compiled nmail in fossa, but when trying to use it in easy and while tracking down some dependencies,

1 /mnt/sda2/portable/nmail/build # ./nmail
./nmail: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.29' not found (required by /usr/lib/libxapian.so.30)
./nmail: /usr/lib/libdb-5.3.so: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libetpan.so.20)
1 /mnt/sda2/portable/nmail/build #

Is this error resolvable?

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

williwaw wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:44 am

I compiled nmail in fossa, but when trying to use it in easy and while tracking down some dependencies,

1 /mnt/sda2/portable/nmail/build # ./nmail
./nmail: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.29' not found (required by /usr/lib/libxapian.so.30)
./nmail: /usr/lib/libdb-5.3.so: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libetpan.so.20)
1 /mnt/sda2/portable/nmail/build #

Is this error resolvable?

That looks like something to ask in the EasyOS section, but the first problem looks resolvable, just like your missing GLIBCX_3.4.29, BUT, from what I've read on the forums, those glib can't be messed around with too much. So it may not be surmountable.

The second one is odd, but it needs to see the version from somewhere. So you'd have to find out how the version gets reported.

I just compiled and fired up nmail on jackalpup. This time I downloaded and saved the three dependency packages before installing, but I installed them all from the ppm. So I have a build directory now with the dependencies for fossa included.

I have my /.nmail directory symlinked from outside the save. So the first time I fired up nmail my accounts and color configs just booted right up. No configuration necessary the second time around.

geo_c

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

thanks geo

after some fiddling around more with the dependencies, I just found an earlier version of libxapian that worked. this app beats launching a browser to bring up a webmail client

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Actually nmail is the bomb for simplicity and speed. like I said in the beginning of this topic, it's the best email experience I've ever had. @d99kris put together a winner. Mutt is good if there are specific situations and files necessary to access, like mh, but for keeping on top of email throughout the day, nmail is amazing.

I keep a couple very small terminal windows open to check different accounts and launch with a short script, like nmailf which runs the command nmail -F /root/.nmailf. My other account is nmailo. If there is no new mail nmail fires up and shows me my inbox immediately. Mutt is slower, doesn't show the mailbox until it hears back from the server.

I also like that nmail shows it's status in the upper right corner: connected, or idle, or fetching. Also, just hit 'l' to check for new mail.

It also has a good internal editor. I haven't enabled markdown in the editor yet. I'll be doing that next and see how it works.

Webmail is unacceptable to me! Always has been.

geo_c

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

@stemsee

read back and saw your earlier post.

libxapian30_1.4.14-2_amd64.deb was the one I was able to make it run with
a later version made it fail with the errors shown above
the -dev version was no joy either

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

It's interesting reading this stuff!

I, too, am no fan of webmail, though in my case I've always used Thunderbird. Even during my XP days, I used it.....and with this current rig - 32 GB RAM and over 5 TB storage - I guess I could run any Linux distro or other OS I wanted. But I stick with Pup because I'm used to her, and she leaves me that much more space to do what I want.

I will say this; it's great that things like nmail are being developed, even today. But in all honesty, Puppy's original mission - that of keeping old, low-resource hardware still useful - IS kind of getting left behind. Very few people still have functional hardware of that ilk any more (most of it's died, TBH!), and many of us are lucky to have access to powerful hardware with more resources than ever before.

Of course, some folks just ARE fans of minimalist apps and the CLI. 'Nuff said! :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:49 am

It's interesting reading this stuff!

I, too, am no fan of webmail, though in my case I've always used Thunderbird.
Of course, some folks just ARE fans of minimalist apps and the CLI. 'Nuff said! :D

Mike. ;)

I used Thunderbird a lot back in the day, before I switched completely to Sylpheed, and after that Claws. But currently I'm still using nmail and mutt after getting them fully operational. I run nmail for quick checking and replying, and mutt for organizing my mail mh archives.

Occassionally I'll fire up claws just for kicks to update the imap accounts, because it's built in to fossapup and all set up, (On KLV I only have mutt installed,) but to me Claws looks messy, so I've become a CLI fan for the WYSIWIRI - what you see is what it really is approach, meaning the mail is just a bunch of multipart text and markup files. Using a terminal emulator, if I want to see the html display, all I have to do to is click the link and it opens whatever browser I set in mailcap.

Also the default external editor I have set in fossapup is Tilde. I like it better than geany, or xfi, or any of the others. It's clear and easy, has a sensible file browser, mouse support, syntax highlighting, and conventional ctrl-v, x, z, c keybindings. It also copies and pastes between xwin gui applications with ease.

So essentially I can drop to TTY and do most things I normally need to do. None of the high graphic dependent audio and video stuff of course. I don't usually work out of TTY, but it's an option if I eventually decide to try SSH computing out. Which is in on my radar.

geo_c

Return to “Business”