New PuppEX Noble64 with Xfce4 or Mate DE?

Moderators: exton, Forum moderators

exton

New PuppEX Noble64 with Xfce4 or Mate DE?

Post by exton »

I'm working on a new PuppEX Noble64 version with kernel 6.10.13-exton. Right now the Desktop looks like this.

I'm thinking of changing the DE to Xfce4 or Mate. What do you think about that? I.e. which one do you prefer?

My old PuppEX Noble64 version is from 241002 with LXDE as DE.

My new PuppEX Noble64 version is built by me using the woof-CE Recipes.

mikeslr

Re: New PuppEX Noble64 with Xfce4 or Mate DE?

Post by mikeslr »

I've used both Window Managers. I'd recommend Mate for a couple of reasons: (1) There are lots of XFCE Puppies; so Mate will offer something different. (2) While the independents who package AppImages (supposedly self-contained applications) test them under Ubuntu AFAICT, they don't test under XFCE. I've had AppImages which ran OOTB under Mate, but not XFCE.

exton

Post by exton »

@mikeslr Thanks a lot! I will install Mate then.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mikeslr wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:10 pm

I've had AppImages which ran OOTB under Mate, but not XFCE

That is very strange IMHO, how can the Desktop environment be a difference when running appimages (it should not), do you have any idea why ?
edit: if an appimage runs ok, often is a matter if the basic dependencies are installed or not, perhaps what your experienced had to do mostly with that.

exton

Post by exton »

@mikeslr

NEWS ABOUT PuppEX Noble64 Mate 24.04 241007
This Puppy derivative is made by me. It is built from Ubuntu 24.04 (Noble Numbat) packages and packages built from woof-CE Recipes. I’ve also compiled a brand new kernel – 6.10.13-exton. This is special about this new PuppEX version:
1. I’ve replaced the original Puppy Linux Desktop with Mate (The MATE Desktop Environment is the continuation of GNOME 2. It provides an intuitive and attractive desktop environment using traditional metaphors for Linux and other Unix-like operating systems), which I find more useful.
2. I’ve added some essential packages. Among them Samba so you can connect to your Windows computers in your home Network. Study all installed packages…
The ISO size is therefore rather BIG (2030 MB), but PuppEX runs nevertheless as fast as the original Puppy, which means that it runs very very fast! You’ll need at least 4GB RAM to run this PuppEX version.
3. I’ve installed VirtualBox Guest Additions, which means that you can run this PuppEX version in full screen in VirtualBox. Watch this screenshot…
4. I’ve included devx_puppex-noble64.sfs in the ISO file. Load it if you need it.
NOTE: When the boot process is ready you will automatically be logged in as root to the Mate Desktop. The password for root is root (if you for some reason should need it). When logged in to the Mate DE you must wait a few seconds before the Desktop and the apps are fully loaded.

READ MORE...

Return to “PuppEx”