Some Appimages that work in BookwormPup64

Moderator: Forum moderators

HarveyH

Some Appimages that work in BookwormPup64

Post by HarveyH »

Tested so far:

Widelands - A very nice Settlers II-type game https://www.widelands.org/wiki/Download/
Libreoffice - https://www.libreoffice.org/download/appimage/

Just make the appimage executable and click on it.

Last edited by HarveyH on Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikewalsh

Re: Some Appimages work in BWP64

Post by mikewalsh »

@HarveyH :-

You might like to try this one; I built it just 2 days ago. This is

OpenOffice64

.....the current release (4.1.15).

Just download; make executable, and.....it should fire straight up.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rk2g0ozekyngq/AppImage

Mike. ;)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

@HarveyH
Would be nice if you could provide download links.

Thanks for the topic!

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

HarveyH

Post by HarveyH »

bigpup wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 4:15 pm

@HarveyH
Would be nice if you could provide download links.

Thanks for the topic!

Of course. I was hesitant to provide outside links as they *could* be malware and only a fool clicks on outside links in a forum post.

I edited the first post.

HarveyH

Post by HarveyH »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:06 am

You might like to try this one; I built it just 2 days ago.

You MADE it? How you do dat?

OscarTalks

Re: Some Appimages that work in BookwormPup64

Post by OscarTalks »

Linphone
Video, Audio, Instant Message, File Transfer
Calling and conferencing, alternative to Skype, Zoom and such like, using SIP VoIP protocol
https://linphone.org/releases/linux/latest_app < AppImage download link

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

BookwormPup64 is binary-compatible to debian-bookworm. The independent creators of AppImages test against the then current version of debian. So you should expect, as a general rule, AppImages should be functional under BookwormPup64 OOTB. Finding out is as simple as downloading the AppImage, making it executable, then left-clicking it.

Binary-compatible does not mean identical. Puppys often substitute their own light-weight infra-structure (often just bash-scripts) for more resource-demanding frameworks (now frequently Qt5). Extracting the AppImages and examining its binaries with ListDD should identify what's missing. Apt/Synaptic can be used to install the missing components. After which the desired AppImage should work.

The operative word is should. Sometimes you'll find yourself on the road to 'dependency hell.' Always note if ListDD reveals a missing glibc. These can't be installed.

My 'rule-of-thumb' if an AppImage doesn't work OOTB is (1) look at the dates of publication of the Puppy and the AppImage. (2) Look for AppImage versions close to that date or (2a) an alternate application which provides similar functions.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

HarveyH wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:11 am
mikewalsh wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 9:06 am

You might like to try this one; I built it just 2 days ago.

You MADE it? How you do dat?

See here for the AppImage builder binaries from @fredx181 :-

viewtopic.php?t=590

They include a 'Help' file that explains the process. Probably easier for us than most others, since AppImages are merely a form of SFS (Squash File System) package.....and Puppy has used the SFS package format since, like, FOREVER!

Do follow the instructions, and the directions in the GUI, TO THE LETTER. Fred's a brilliant coder.......but even he can't work miracles if you miss out steps or otherwise don't do things the correct way AND in the right order..!

Best to start off with something fairly simple that doesn't have many dependencies.

Mike. ;)

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mikewalsh wrote:

Do follow the instructions, and the directions in the GUI, TO THE LETTER. Fred's a brilliant coder.......but even he can't work miracles if you miss out steps or otherwise don't do things the correct way AND in the right order..!

Besides the fact that I'm a brilliant coder 8-) (ahumm.. not) just to add... that using the program requires some user creativity and knowledge too (i.e. setting up the directory containing the files and folders (including dependencies if there are any) ). Make sure you have a plan B in case plan A fails ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:27 pm
mikewalsh wrote:

Besides the fact that I'm a brilliant coder 8-) (ahumm.. not) just to add... that using the program requires some user creativity and knowledge too (i.e. setting up the directory containing the files and folders (including dependencies if there are any) ). Make sure you have a plan B in case plan A fails ;)

@fredx181 :-

Ah, credit where credit's due, mate. You MUST learn to accept compliments..! :lol:

Yah, I'll go along with that. Creativity IS the key word here; along with the ability to modify/shuffle things around/point things in different directions more or less "on-the-fly". It took quite a bit of that to get the OpenOffice AppImage to behave itself the other day..... :roll:

The ability to think at least two steps ahead of wherever you happen to be in the process helps, too..! :D

Mike. ;)

Return to “BookwormPup”