Fossapup User Contributed Packages

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

tosim

Re: Fossapup User Contributed Packages

Post by tosim »

Grey-Like you, I much prefer, and use,(in Mint), DoubleCommander. Been using it since it came out. any chance you can make an "sfs" of it?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

tosim, there's little* reason to wait for grey or anyone else. This is something you can do yourself. Just follow the building instructions I provided here, viewtopic.php?p=40354#p40354 substituting "doublecmd' where the post refers to sylpheed. You can skip those parts that pertain to creating an AppImage, except as noted below.

I ran into one small glitch creating an SFS of double-commander. When the PaDS GUI displayed there was no unique double-commander icon. See the graphic in the above referred to post. In such case, PaDS would default to using its own. While that wasn't really what I wanted, it did give me a clue as to what was wrong.

PaDS expects to find icons in /usr/share/pixmaps. Fossapup64's Puppy Package Manager will obtain the necessary files from an Ubuntu repo. Ubuntu doesn't care if icons are located in /usr/share/icons. That's where I found an acceptable one. [Sometimes you have to download one from the web, or create your own using a graphic application like mtpaint or gimp]. But I clicked "Finished" and let PaDS do the hard work of decompressing the debs and re-assembling their contents into a SFS.

Once PaDS created an SFS in /root I basically followed the instructions I gave for creating an AppImage: mount the SFS and copy its files into another, appropriately named, folder. I then opened two rox windows: one to /usr/share/pixmaps and the other to /usr/share/icons/apps--something: had to browse around awhile to find the one I wanted. IIRC, it was in the /usr/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps folder. I LEFT-Pressed, Held, then dragged it from there into the other, /usr/share/pixmaps, window and selected Link(relative). I also edited /usr/share/applicatons/double-commander.desktop's ICON= argument to spell out the path and name, including the ".png" ending,
Once that was done I file-browsed back up so that I could see the doublecmd folder as a folder, RIGHT-Clicked it and selected dir2sfs. [If you're going to have it available all the time, might as well select "create a pet package" instead].

FYI, when I entered 'doublecmd' in Puppy Package Manager's Search box, it displayed several possible packages. I choose doublecmd-common, doublecmd-plugins and doublecmd-gtk rather than doublecmd-qt. I could have chosen the latter, or both. But gtk is usually lighter-weight unless you already have a some qt apps; and having both seemed a waste of space. [There were also packages for Ukrainian and Russian I didn't need].

Other than installing PaDS and downloading, the entire process took less than 15 minutes; less time than to write this post. The SFS it created was 11 Mbs: larger than is permitted to attach to a post.

11Mbs: My xfe for Fossapup is only 2030 Kilobytes; and I like that App better than Double-Commander. But, "each to his own".
-=-=-=-
* Applications in Ubuntu's repos may not be 'the latest and greatest'. Grey compiles from the 'latest and greatest' Source Code. I don't compile. I'm too old a cat to learn new tricks; especially those which depend on memory. There are posts which will tell you that 'compiling is easy'. Those posts are by people who already know how to compile, so for them it IS easy. And it is probably easy to compile some applications --and all the bits and pieces on which they depend. But I would expect those applications to already be available on Repos, such as Ubuntu's, where scores of people are involved in creating updates. For those applications where compiling will be difficult or time-consuming, I'll just wait.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Grey :-

Christ, I'd forgotten ALL about "Dan Dare". Haven't read it for simply decades!

I'd completely forgotten all about The Mekon, too..... :lol:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Grey

Post by Grey »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:37 am

Christ, I'd forgotten ALL about "Dan Dare". Haven't read it for simply decades!

I think in Britain such colorful characters will NOT SOON be completely forgotten :thumbup:

But in my country, almost no one knows anything about them and has never known (comics were not printed). And only ZX lovers know and remember who сolonel Daniel McGregor Dare and The Mekon the ruler of the Treens are. For comparison, Doctor Who in Russian language is shown every day on the Sony Sci-Fi channel :) Everyone knows him.

The second part (The Mekon's revenge) was also good:

In third part (The Escape)... is it just me, or have the characters aged a little in 1990 :) ?!

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Grey

Post by Grey »

tosim wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:42 pm

"sfs" of it?

I don't see the point in sfs format in this case.
In Fossapup, the program does not require additional libraries, so just download, unpack (for example, in /opt/doublecmd/) and run file doublecmd.sh . You can pull this script to the desktop and assign it an icon. The icon is in the program folder (doublecmd.png).

I know many people don't like the latest versions. But the file manager belongs to the kind of programs that should not be too ancient. Therefore, it is simply not very rational to do sfs every time (DC is still (by tradition ;) ) in beta and probably always will be :) )

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

tosim

Post by tosim »

mikesir
Grey
Thank you both very much for your informative replies. I wasn't aware of DoubleCommander being in FossaPup's PPM. Will get into it today, if I get
the time. Many thanks, again.

Grey

Denise 1.1.2 - C64 emulator

Post by Grey »

Cycle accurate Commodore 64 emulator. There are shaders, for example, the interesting CRT Trinitron. Drag'n'drop works :) If you drag the archive, you can select a specific disk inside it. Perhaps in the future it will support the Amiga 500, but so far only C64.
Pet: https://disk.yandex.ru/d/43VBNsbKf9OJog
Menu>>Fun>>Denise

Maybe two things will have to be done in Fossapup after the launch.
a. C64>>Reset (Hard or Soft). If the cursor on the Commodore's welcome screen is blinking like mad, then go to Options and turn on FPS Limiter or Synchronize Video. In any case, it's better to do it.
b. Options>>Audio and change Pulseaudio to OpenAL driver. The sound will appear.
If in full-screen mode the emulator window does not open to the full screen, then Options >>Video and select the desired resolution in the Preselect fullscreen resolution section.

I launched the famous Edge of Disgrace demo. Quite well:

Denise_0.gif
Denise_0.gif (101.24 KiB) Viewed 3717 times

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Attached below is the BT4Stretch Bluetooth manager converted to Puppy. It is intended for Fossapup64.

Update: V2.4 now handles file downloads from BT devices. It requires the additional package "bluez-tools" via the PPM. Click the Help button for instructions.

There are three packages:
a. Alsamixertray is an essential tool for controlling your Bluetooth audio setup.
b. Bluealsa contains the code for running Bluetooth under ALSA without requiring PulseAudio. Remove the fake .gz extension and left-click install it.
c. BT4Stretch is a gtkdialog app for pairing/connecting devices and configuring the ALSA audio.

Note: The system also works with Bionicpup64, but ONLY requires packages a. and c.

1. Install the packages and restart X.
2. Click the AlsaMixer tray icon to see your current default audio device.
3. Click the BT4Stretch tray icon and power up a Bluetooth speaker.
4. Click Help to see the instructions for connecting the speaker.
5. Click Control and follow the steps.
6. Pair/connect the speaker and paste its MAC address into the BT version of /etc/asound.conf.
7. Click the AlsaMixer tray icon to verify the connection.
8. Play something through the Bluetooth speaker.
9. To restore playback through your internal speakers, click the Internal button.

This project requires testing.

Update: Project removed due to lack of testing and feedback.

Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jamespoo

Post by jamespoo »

hello would like to know if these apps could run on BionicPup32 8.0 as the cpu i have is only 32bit in my old laptop

Grey

Geany 1.38 and 40 plugins

Post by Grey »

Geany 1.38 codenamed Sulamar + about 40 plugins.
This time the Easter game is called in a standard way. We've played and that's enough :) I was too lazy to change the keyboard scan like last time for version 1.37.1. This is the usual standard version 1.38.

Plugins are installed separately this time through their .pet. You can turn them on and off after that like this: Tools>>Plugin Manager
Geany: https://disk.yandex.ru/d/Odaw_6f7XClxGg
Plugins: https://disk.yandex.ru/d/YLPEaE8CCC2p3Q

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

BT4Stretch Bluetooth system updated above.

Puppyt

Re: ScummVM 2.5.0 “Twenty years ago today…”

Post by Puppyt »

Hi Grey - in belayed response to this contribution:

Grey wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:24 am

The ScummVM game engine multiport program is 20 years old. On which we sincerely congratulate them! All this time, ScummVM has been helping adventure lovers (and today not only them) to get acquainted with the classics of the genre in a convenient environment.

Anniversary version 2.5.0 has been released, which is now merged with ResidualVM and supports 2.5D games.
Deb for Ubuntu has not yet appeared on the program's website... but we already have .pet in the kennel :)
<snip>

...and to really help get Sgt. Pepper and all his band to play classic LucasArts games, I wonder whether a) there might be a simple method to upgrade your pet once installed, without you having to maintain pet updates, given scummvm_2.5.1-1_ubuntu20.04_amd64.deb is available and not out-of-the-box compatible with FossaPup64 (response from terminal):-

Code: Select all

/usr/games/scummvm: error while loading shared libraries: libinstpatch-1.0.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Script completed hit RETURN to close window.

... and b) wouldn't it be nice to see a maintained Scummvm pet in the Fossapup Quickpet "fun" submenu?
Is that able to be requested?
Cheers,
a Lonely Heart without a ticket to the Club :)

P.S. Regarding Quickpet, needs to have browser>dissenter removed as an option. Link is dead, Jim... I realise this point branches from the purpose of this thread, apologies to the moderators.

Grey

Re: ScummVM 2.5.0 “Twenty years ago today…”

Post by Grey »

Puppyt wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:19 am

scummvm_2.5.1-1_ubuntu20.04_amd64.deb is available and not out-of-the-box compatible with FossaPup64
wouldn't it be nice to see a maintained Scummvm pet in the Fossapup Quickpet "fun" submenu?

Sometimes a new version of Scummvm requires new libraries or something else. So it needs to be reassembled again. For Quickpet questions, you need to contact @666philb , as he decides what to add there.

In the meantime, try this version 2.5.1:
.pet: https://disk.yandex.ru/d/oZXoTFMh8RI3BA
First, it is advisable to uninstall 2.5.0 in PPM.

Puppyt wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:19 am

Sgt. Pepper and all his band

My neighbor has a record (LP) with this album. But a few years ago I digitized this recording into FLAC format and recorded it on a DVD, which is somewhere in the cabinets. Another neighbor has a imported Stereo 8, but he's a tightwad :)

Puppyt

Post by Puppyt »

Spasibo, Grey :)
apologies for the delayed reply and test of your SummVM2.5.1 (with your Fluidsynth pet pre-loaded, as per your original announcement). The machine I had dedicated for a classic DOS game repository and DBGL/ScummVM ran into acute problems and I have been resurrecting the setup with non-ideal backups.
Your pet looks great however - haven't populated it in my fresh setup, but in an intermediate test system it automatically picked up dozens of additional games I hadn't realised were compatible with ScummVM- including those from the Ultima series (PLUS the XU4 Beta5 version I had not tested in the earlier project before it when kaput - but this is noted I see on the XU4 changelog) and others. It *additionally* picked up and ran with a load of other, primarily Win32-based games that were otherwise incompatible with DBGL/DOSbox - such as Yahtzee's "Trilby" trilogy (AGS engine-based games). Great surprise :)
A little off-topic for the thread, but what appeared to be an SSD fail was found - on autopsy - to be a loose connection/circuit failure somewhere in a convoluted m.2 sata drive>micro sata adapter >pcie mSata adapter ... heck I don't know - I had 2 adapters dogpiled to fit into a 2.5" SSD caddy, courtesy of misordering the incorrect "standard" connections, over a protracted period.
Will I learn from this latest drama, to keep a running backup/rsynch of my mission-critical files in FossaPup64? Court is adjourned for deliberation...

Last edited by Puppyt on Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Puppyt wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:27 am

dozens of additional games I hadn't realised were compatible with ScummVM

This directly depends on requests to developers from eager users. The same applies to game translations.

For example, a group of Russian fans of old games united in a Bureau (for Translations of Old Games). Heh, The Secret of Monkey Island was recently translated (into normal literary Russian, the old translation was terrible) and Warcraft 2(battle.net edition) with normal sound :) However, the Bureau was distracted from DOS games and the last translation was the game It Came from the Desert for Amiga.
Bureau members regularly send data to Scummvm developers to add support for translated games.

What am I talking about? To the fact that interested users from different countries should bother Scummvm developers more often :)

Anacleto

foliate 2.5.0 for fossa64_9.5

Post by Anacleto »

Hi.

I wanted to contribute to the repository of FOSSA64-9.5 with foliate_2.5.0

https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5199

I hope you are useful.

Regards.

Grey

zstd v1.5.2 (aka Zstandard)

Post by Grey »

UExtract was recently updated. And the built-in zstd was updated to version 1.5.2 in Conty.
By default, version 1.4.4 is installed in Fossa. Therefore, I compiled version 1.5.2 from Git.
Pet:

zstd-1.5.2-fossapup-x86_64.pet
(422.73 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
zstd-1.5.2.gif
zstd-1.5.2.gif (15.3 KiB) Viewed 3924 times

Clarity

Gparted in Fossapup User Contributed Packages

Post by Clarity »

Is there a GParted PET available for FossaPUP?

Help...needed for modern formats that do NOT exist in current v1.0 in FossaPUP repos.

sonny

Post by sonny »

Quick 'n dirty solution: try overwriting the old GPARTED 1.0 files in usr/sbin with these GPARTED 1.2 files

GP12.png
GP12.png (39.34 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
Attachments
usr-sbin.zip
(501.83 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Grey

Re: Gparted in Fossapup User Contributed Packages

Post by Grey »

Clarity wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:20 am

Is there a GParted PET available for FossaPUP?
Help...needed for modern formats that do NOT exist in current v1.0 in FossaPUP repos.

Hi. I did .pet, the latest version, I remember adding some additional utilities. I looked at it and it seems to have deleted it. I didn't see anything outstanding there and didn't post it. Users will start using exotic and unstable file systems. Do we need this?

Jammypup currently has version 1.3.1 :) But again. Additional utilities are needed to support exotics. The same result can be achieved from the old version.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks @Grey But, some of the formats are NOT unstable...no more so than the traditionals as Linux continues to advance...aka F2FS and ExFAT.

And yes, I know that some of current PUPs may/may-not have these formats available in the running systems such that they cannot open the filesystems on the desktop.

Puppy continues to mature and these will become a part of most/all future PUPs, I know.

I am more interested in the FossaPUP64 that I run where I need to format and have GParted ID the space use when it is looking at a partition that would have either of these mentioned filesystems so that I can properly resize or move, when necessary. That is the reason I raise this question on the thread as I do much of this USB needs on this FossaPUP64.

BTW @666philb this, with @ETP's additionals almost 2 years ago has run for over 15months...non-stop. I hope those contributions from him will be reviewed for inclusion as you migrate a new PUP when Ubuntu moves to its next LTS, soon. One example of the beauty of just 1 on his contributions changes the desktop on a daily basis to avoid screen burn-in on a continuously running desktop....there's a couple more examples of some forward thinking as in LAN-WAN announcement... and ...

These kinds of inclusions are NOT bloat when they provides useful services to the user while the desktop is running without taxing the OS in any way.

I did check the PPM, but no joy there as it only offers the same as in FossaPUP64.

Thanks, again.

Grey

LXTask 0.1.10

Post by Grey »

LXTask 0.1.9 is built into Fossapup by default. I compiled 0.1.10. Maybe it will be useful to someone:

lxtask-0.1.10-fossapup-x86_64.pet
(54.2 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

JASpup

Re: LXTask 0.1.10

Post by JASpup »

Grey wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:43 pm

LXTask 0.1.9 is built into Fossapup by default. I compiled 0.1.10. Maybe it will be useful to someone:
lxtask-0.1.10-fossapup-x86_64.pet

I nearly always have lxtask running, though would need to know what is wrong with it or improved to update if it is not about maintaining compatibility.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

Grey

Re: LXTask 0.1.10

Post by Grey »

JASpup wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:19 am

I nearly always have lxtask running, though would need to know what is wrong with it or improved to update if it is not about maintaining compatibility.

You can try to find information here. But it seems the authors haven't been doing ChangeLog there for a long time :) And the News file is generally empty.

But one change is clearly visible :) :

Update Copyright message to reflect actual years.

There is also a second one:

fix multiple definitions of global variables

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

@Grey appreciate the update and the technical user's perspective.

Simple user thinks: "If I use Pale Moon 28 and visit this site, I am at risk of X malware, and if I use 29 the security flaw is fixed."

Or: "Newest lxtask offer a builtin visual customization independent of GTK." front-end stuff

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

PipzDex

Post by PipzDex »

hello forum
I share the new version of pcmanfm 1.3.2 here the link

viewtopic.php?p=53407#p53407

cheers!! :thumbup2:

Pentium (R) 2.20GHz I RAM: 8.0 GB I F96-CE_5 I Kernel 6.6.8-64oz-ao I Glibc: 2.31 I 1600x900 Px

My Puppy Stuff and more

Grey

OpenVPN 2.5.6

Post by Grey »

OK, OpenVPN + configs from ProtonVPN. This method still works. But the version of openvpn in PPM is quite old (2.4.7, it seems). I've compiled a fresh 2.5.6 here:

openvpn-2.5.6-fossapup-x86_64.pet
(360.91 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

:!: First install the old version from PPM. This will establish dependencies. Then install a new one right on top.

openvpn_2.5.6.gif
openvpn_2.5.6.gif (99.06 KiB) Viewed 4314 times

Grey

OpenSSL 1.1.1n (& 3.1.0)

Post by Grey »

Since in my screenshot in the previous post OpenSSL's version 1.1.1n, and in Fossapup the version is originally 1.1.1f... Here's the 'n' pet:
https://mega.nz/file/sw1QxLxB#7zwgikHXM ... wg8Wh8IoJQ

If anyone needs, then here is version 3.1.0 from the third line of software:
https://mega.nz/file/Vt1XAQRa#yfDqcONK1 ... xtQkuIVAR4

Grey

ALSA 1.2.6 (lib + utils)

Post by Grey »

Yes, Jammy is coming out soon. But for some reason, we continue to keep Fossa afloat :)
Let's update the sound subsystem a bit:
alsa-lib-1.2.6.1.pet
alsa-utils-1.2.6.pet

alsamixer_1.2.6.gif
alsamixer_1.2.6.gif (61.68 KiB) Viewed 4197 times

Grey

Battleships v2.11 (Eric Raymond)

Post by Grey »

So. A Moscow (missile cruiser) sank yesterday. I need to have a wake and say a prayer somehow. Others can treat it as a celebration if they like ;)
On itch.io peculiar and original games have already appeared. Here is one example.

I compiled the Battleships game from Eric Raymond. What's good about it is that it works in a terminal and uses ANSI art graphics.
The game was very popular at my school (of course then in a paper version and slightly different rules :) ). I was playing right during lessons with my friend, who was sitting at the same desk with me.
Menu>>Fun>>Battleships

battleship-2.11-fossapup-x86_64.pet
(10.18 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

You can also run it not from the menu, but from the command line with different arguments. The rules and arguments can be viewed here.

battleships_2.11.gif
battleships_2.11.gif (69.99 KiB) Viewed 4146 times

Well, now an interesting historical reference from me personally. The events taking place now on the Black Sea were predicted by a Russian programmer named Vadim Bashurov.
Back in 1992 (that is, the USSR has just collapsed), he made a game (which you can still play with DosBox). It was Battleships, but with a storyline. The game was wrapped in the entourage of a hypothetical war between Russia and Ukraine on the Black Sea. Ukraine has four cities in the game: Kerch, Odessa, Sevastopol and Nikolaev. Russia has three: Novorossiysk, Sochi and (for some reason) Batumi. The game always begins with the battle for Kerch; if we manage to win, then there will be a battle for Odessa; if we lose, then for Novorossiysk. The goal is to destroy the Ukrainian fleet on the Black Sea, capturing all four ports.

And the game, I repeat, was made in 1992 :!: Now I hope everyone understands why I was almost sure of the occurrence of recent events.
That's how it looked. Pay attention... the flag of Ukraine is upside down. The yellow color on the flag should be at the bottom. But the programmer hadn't seen the flag yet...

Battleships_Black Sea_1992.jpg
Battleships_Black Sea_1992.jpg (118.73 KiB) Viewed 4146 times

Added on May 25:
Exactly the same flags were hung upside down in the Pentagon: https://www.businessinsider.com/pentago ... nce-2022-5
For the main ally, not a very attentive approach.
But there's nothing to be done. Two-color flags will never stop being confused and hung incorrectly. Clickable (it is better to click with the mouse wheel to open on a separate tab):
Added on June 1st:
However, tricolor is also possible. Tomsk, Russia. Summer has come and the employees have forgotten how to hang the flag correctly :) The flag is upside down over the administration building:

Last edited by Grey on Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Fossapup64”