Fossapup Tips & Tricks

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

fredx181

Re: Fossapup Tips & Tricks

Post by fredx181 »

snoring_cat wrote:

fredx181, can you switch between window managers in an active Puppy Linux (i.e. xwin openbox, xwin jwm, xwin xfce4)? I don't know if you tested on the same running OS, or a different one. I haven't loaded up other window managers other than JWM

I tested on DebianDog where I can switch between Openbox and JWM, on JWM the title bar was missing.

redandwhitestripes

Post by redandwhitestripes »

666philb wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:04 pm
redandwhitestripes wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:16 am

Hello, is there any way to make the jwm dock and tray semi-transparent with Picom? I tried the lines
opacity-rule = ["93:class_g = '_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK'"];

and

opacity-rule = ["93:class_g = 'jwm'"];

But no joy. I realize this is probably the wrong line but I don't know how else to find the correct command.

hi @redandwhitestripes
i finally figured it out :)

Code: Select all

"80:window_type = 'dock'"

Thank you!

gychang

Post by gychang »

ETP wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:46 pm

Installing Brother Printers:

printer-driver-brlaser_6|printer-driver-brlaser|6|1build1|Filesystem;storage|74K|pool/main/b/brlaser|\
printer-driver-brlaser_6-1build1_amd64.deb|+libc6&ge2.14,+libcups2&ge2.3,+libgcc-s1&ge3.0,+libstdc++6&ge5.2|printer driver for some Brother laser printers|ubuntu|focal|

TIPS:
Having installed the printer-driver-brlaser_6 package using PPM, shut down your PC. Before booting up again turn on your printer and allow it to come online.
Once the PC has booted access CUPS via the browser to add and set it up as above.

On my PPM, only first is available "printer-driver-brlaser_6", 2nd line printer-driver-brlaser_6-1build1_amd64.deb" etc, package is not available. I am using the ubuntu/focal repositories. After installing only the first app, reboot and turning on the printer (HL-L2325DW) and trying CUPS still not seeing the printer. Am I following the instructions correctly?, or is the printer model not covered in this?

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

ETP

Post by ETP »

Hi gychang,

There is only one package (printer-driver-brlaser_6). The rest is just information plus dependencies which in Fossa were all satisfied.
That particular driver only supports the printers I listed and your printer is not on that list.

I suggest that you use PPM to uninstall that package and then reboot. Your only option is to then visit the official Brother site
and download the Linux deb driver for your printer from there:

Here is the link to your model:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... lang=true
Follow the "How to Install" instructions that appear once you have downloaded the deb package but note that
in Puppy you are logged in as root which means that you are the superuser and do not need the SU command.
Rather than using the dpkg command first try just clicking on the deb file.

Regards ETP
Current go-to Pup since Feb 2019 - BionicPup64 8.0
Video - https://photos.app.goo.gl/HYLupyMGcQFP81z69

On test - Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix 20.10 (Groovy Gorilla)
Video - https://photos.app.goo.gl/xGbQYtioXt6mzoi48
gychang

Post by gychang »

666philb wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:04 pm
redandwhitestripes wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:16 am

Hello, is there any way to make the jwm dock and tray semi-transparent with Picom? I tried the lines
opacity-rule = ["93:class_g = '_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_DOCK'"];

and

opacity-rule = ["93:class_g = 'jwm'"];

But no joy. I realize this is probably the wrong line but I don't know how else to find the correct command.

hi @redandwhitestripes
i finally figured it out :)

"80:window_type = 'dock'"

code is added in the picom.conf?

======

======

gychang

Re: Graphic Driver Setup

Post by gychang »

666philb wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:41 pm

here's some tips on setting up your graphics driver on fossapup64.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Intel cards.

intel cards should work smoothly OTB with vsync working.
if you are experiencing any oddities in applications (e.g.googlearth not displaying properly)
you can try swapping between the intel and modesetting driver by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf then restarting X

swap modesetting for intel or vice versa

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "modesetting" #card0driver
BusID "0:2:0" #card0busid
EndSection

in picom i found the best settings were
vsync on
backend glx

backend glx

@666philb thanks for the tip! :thumbup2:

======

======

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Just a tip

If you want to update your CA-Certificates there default ones are from 2020. There is a script available to use within Fossa.

"A CA certificate is a digital certificate issued by a certificate authority (CA), so SSL clients (such as web browsers) can use it to verify the SSL certificates sign by this CA."

Simply open up terminal and type

update-ca-certificates --fresh

this will download, update the certificates to the default directories.

By default up to date browsers will include these.

Last edited by mikewalsh on Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Contributed Packages...
Grey

zswap vs zram

Post by Grey »

I just got a text message from the local rescuers. They warn of a heat of 40-42 degrees Celsius. Yes, the CPU really warmed up at least 5 degrees higher than usual.
I need a siesta.

What am I talking about? Oh, yeah.
I've been using zram for a while. But now I switched to zswap, because I finally bought an nvme disk with a good volume. zswap - like zram - compresses data, but only uses a disk partition instead of RAM.

I made the swap partition 65535 in size. Well, my artisanal Arch is already using zswap, but Fossapup is not yet, because I have not compiled the corresponding kernel:

fossapup_zswap.gif
fossapup_zswap.gif (5.33 KiB) Viewed 1359 times

But Fossapup can now use it without compression, because swap is even bigger than RAM :) :

fossapup_swap.gif
fossapup_swap.gif (20.44 KiB) Viewed 1359 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Grey

How to impress family and friends after loading Fossapup

Post by Grey »

We already had something about iQPuzzle about three years ago.
Let's add a little more Image

Have you long wanted to learn about all the options for solving the first task and impress everyone around you ;) ? Then you need a Python solver... and the ability to remember at least one of the 2339 options ;)

New Zealand programmer Ben Hoyt (and his father) did everything for you. Here is the project on Git. And here is a page with an interesting story by Ben from which you will understand which letters of the alphabet correspond to each figure on the diagram in the terminal.

git clone https://github.com/benhoyt/python-pentomino
cd python-pentomino
python pentomino.py

Indeed, 2339 decisions in 3 seconds :thumbup2: But it's vertical. I swapped the width and height in the script and got 2186 solutions in 59 seconds.
Slowly, unhurriedly "solved" the problem with the help of solution 2186 :) :

iqpuzzle-pentomino_python.gif
iqpuzzle-pentomino_python.gif (81.21 KiB) Viewed 1160 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Fossapup64”