MAC changer

Moderator: Forum moderators

user1111

MAC changer

Post by user1111 »

I have my own version (in Fatdog) of a random mac for wifi tool - that simply has lists of valid mac's and it randomly selects one (if requested), along with randomising the hostname. So when out and about, accessing different wifi hotspots at different times, its less easy to have your movements tracked.

I recall that scottman provided such a tool for Puppy www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64216 .. which looks like it might not support wlan0 (only eth0). Is there a mainline Puppy version for catering for randomising your wifi mac?

Yes changing your mac will mess up any fixed IP setups - where perhaps the router allocates a fixed IP based on the mac, but for most users that more often wont be a issue.

Other means by which the state or Google track you are the likes of screen size, installed fonts, localisation (time zone, keyboard layout) ... etc. So tweaking those for improved anonymity could be useful. Some like to have multiple things on a single desktop, I'm long term in the habit of single things on separate desktops which I guess is a bad practice as that makes window sizes more consistent. I'm striving, as part of good practice by default, to coach myself over to using a single large desktop pan area with individual windows spread around that viewtopic.php?f=60&t=937 so that each window size is more random. Most often, 4 desktops tends to be more than enough for my needs, browser in one, office in another, terminal in yet another, leaving one spare for perhaps quick visibility of the desktop icons or file manager/whatever. Finding that a large pan area, four times the actual screen size and having the browser in one corner, office in another corner ...etc. can also work reasonably well for me. It's quite nice being able to flip the mouse towards a corner to switch between seeing the browser to seeing a Libre office document/whatever.

Last edited by Wiz57 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited the http (non-ssl) link
Jafadmin

Re: MAC changer

Post by Jafadmin »

Some years back I wrote a gui for that called TheMask.

It can generate random macs and hostnames. It preserves your boot settings and can restore them. It turns off rfkill.

If you want to mask your machine, you run this before connecting to a network. If you are trying to be stealthy but are using autoconnect, you are defeating the purpose.

Attachments
TheMask.tar.gz
(12.09 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
TheMask.png
TheMask.png (14.7 KiB) Viewed 826 times

Return to “Security/Privacy”