Any Puppy MATE users?

Post by JASpup »

Puppy is not listed as a supported distribution:

https://mate-desktop.org/

I have seen it only on Slacko 6.3.2:

http://puppy-mate.weebly.com/

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

mikewalsh

Re: Any Puppy MATE users?

Post by mikewalsh »

@JASpup :-

I suspect you're not going to have much luck with MATE.
JASpup wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:01 am Puppy is not listed as a supported distribution:

https://mate-desktop.org/
That in itself isn't surprising. Pup's first & foremost a lightweight, hobbyist distro. It's not a mainstream OS, and the projects all go out of their way, primarily, to support the "big boys".

I also suspect you'll find that most Puppians are more than happy to stick with the default JWM/Rox-filer 'pinboard' combo. Not because alternatives aren't available - as we know, they are - but because although the standard setup takes a lot of learning your way around, once you've got a handle on it, it's SO much more configurable than 'standard' DEs. And I think you'll find that many users, also, simply aren't bothered about what their desktop looks like.....being more concerned with functionality.

I tried them all during my distro-hopping days; Gnome, LXDE, XFCE, MATE, KDE, Budgie, Enlightement, E38.....I didn't really like ANY of them (with perhaps the exception of KDE, but that was way too 'heavy' for the hardware I had then). Oh, sure; there are many far more 'polished', slick-looking DEs out there, but you're always kind of at the mercy of their developers/contributors.....you can't do much in the way of modifications yourself. "Customize", probably, yes; "modifying" the actual building-blocks themselves, no.

When it comes down to it, Puppy is basically controlled by a humungous bunch of scripts.....and scripts can always be edited/modified/altered to suit yourself. Every OS in existence has a text editor.....

Our Pup IS rather more 'hands-on' than most Linux distros. But I suspect that's part of what attracts folks to her in the first place, believe it or not.

It rather looks like we're back to the "if beginners can't do things easily, they'll go elsewhere" thing again, aren't we?

Mike. Image Image

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

JASpup, you'll want to keep your eye out for josejp2424's posts; perhaps add translate to your web-browsers because often his publications first appear in the Spanish Section. [Relating to your previous post concerning xfce, FWIW, my recollection is that somewhere on the old forum, you'll find links to his publications of pupjibaro and/or Shiba Inu: Xfce variations of one or the other --perhaps both-- were published. Try using this https://rockedge.org/psearch/].

At any rate, josejp2424 has an interest in creating Puppies which employ window managers other than jwm, such as Dpupbuster 64 Mate Desktop, viewtopic.php?p=2208#p2208. Scroll down for the link to the ISO.
JASpup

Post by JASpup »

@mikewalsh have you tried the Slacko version? It's not as ready to go out-the-box as X-Slacko, but it runs. I'm going to give it a longer look. Other than WMs I'm monitoring system resources as a user, coming to preliminary conclusions like:

Slacko6 isn't a significant resource hog over Tahr
XFCE isn't a significant resource hog over JWM

Alas I've found a pig: Ubuntu MATE at 700-800mb of ram after closing all apps. Firefox with a couple tabs open throws it to 1.7gb.

https://postimg.cc/9zs5YrbT

UM lists on those media pages of lightweight distros, but it's a complete joke.

These discoveries are why I want Puppy to show face against the major distros.

Slacko runs Puppy MATE. MATE and XFCE are in Puppy's Ubuntu respositories. What's possible?

For choices it's a choice for designers. If they want more mainstream users and the benefits that come with, they're there for the taking. I believe Puppy Linux is a superior offering.

pupX properties of X? O-kay, I'll do my trigonometry homework.

I believe what attracts people to Puppy is system resources and the dog theme.

What keeps them is the goods to back it up, yet I'm sure many have been scared away by the interface.

The technical-hack sphere has a lot of competition as well. So on your last point, yes.

But I see a fine line: there's a difference between making modest modifications and making basic functions a hack, emphasisizing the latter ethic with technical desriptions that bewilder, don't match functions, and seem poorly organized (I think latter Puppy menus have gotten better, but I keep a few years back).

It's not that bad. Responsiblily whomever are in charge just state their values before skepticism. Ie, why be obscure when you're better? I WANT TO BE OBSCURE!

Linux Über Alles

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

@mikeslr yeah that makes sense. Slacko Puppy MATE is from Argentina?

Looking at Dpupbuster, I don't understand what it is.

It looks like a distro hybrid between Puppy and Debian which yet strikes as odd because Puppy is related to begin with. Ie, what makes it more Debian?

And Buster in the Puppy sphere I compare to?

Eg, if Buster is Focal Fossa(new) or Precise(old) I wouldn't want to boot it, even a MATE flavor.

Then a Buster version based on a CPU? (one I happen to be running at the moment)

Strange waters to tread...

Linux Über Alles

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

JASpup wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:05 pm @mikeslr yeah that makes sense. Slacko Puppy MATE is from Argentina?

Looking at Dpupbuster, I don't understand what it is.
Nothing hybrid about it, it's a woof-ce puppy created using debian buster as the contributing distribution. Josejp2424 has created many excellent puppies with non-jwm DE's. They include puppies using XFCE4 and Mate which you have been posting requests about. Maybe check them out.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

I'm in DpupBuster64.

It feels like a new desktop, with partial similarities to its Ubuntu counterpart.

However Puppy it is, it's no more efficient.

just after the boot startup programs, nothing running:
https://postimg.cc/Lnnhp7wz

Positively, it wrote and booted without a hitch, fully less than 600mb, and unlike Ubuntu MATE you can remove your unmounted boot media.

Linux Über Alles

Return to “Users”