Midori Browser 32-bit portable

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Midori Browser 32-bit portable

Post by mikeslr »

I really like this web-browser. See the midori (64bit) thread for discussion. Although I don't often run 32-bit Puppys, many still do. If you only run one 32-bit Puppy, you can download a pet of the 11.3.0 version from here, https://github.com/goastian/midori-desk ... 0_i386.pet. Thanks, ponchale. :thumbup: But note, the 64 thread reflects an issue with DRM. So perhaps downoad the 11.2 version, https://github.com/goastian/midori-desk ... 2_i386.pet and update.

That's what, hopefully, I accomplished building the midori32-portable, https://www.mediafire.com/file/tgn5fizv ... ar.gz/file. Not sure, as as soon as I started it it updated to the latest version. DRM shows as being enabled, but I don't know how to test. Having changed from the default, the portable's folder already includes a profile which will be used.

Obviously you can change the profile. midori (even the 32-bit) uses firefox-quantum addons and themes.

mikewalsh

Re: Midori Browser 32-bit portable

Post by mikewalsh »

@mikeslr :-

DRM may SHOW as being 'enabled', Mike.......but I can guarantee you it won't work.

As with Firefox, the version of DRM in use is Google's Widevine. It's become the 'industry standard', and all mainstream browsers use it. In March of 2020, Google officially deprecated the 32-bit build, as part of their push to get every last user on the 64-bit platform.....which HAS been around for over 20 years now, and is considered more 'secure'. (Add to which fact, hardly anyone builds 32-bit stuff anymore, and it's getting so it's more & more pointless keeping these dinosaurs alive for very much longer; there soon won't be any 'current' software for them.)

There'll be plenty of out-of-date stuff.......but who wants that? Out-of-date browsers, in particular, are just asking for trouble..! :o

Big Brother deprecated 32-bit Chrome in 2016. Frankly, I was amazed they kept 32-bit Widevine alive for as long as they did.... Google has, after all, been one of the major players in the push for transition to 64-bit only, along with Apple and to a lesser degree, MyCrudSoft. It's the way the world has been heading for quite some time.

All credit to you for building it, though. It's still a very good browser, even in 32-bit format. :thumbup:

{*shrug...*)

T'other Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

Well, actually credit to you. I just flinched the framework from your 64 bit portable and substituted the 32-bit files for those you had in /midori-portable/midori folder.

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

@mikeslr Installed your portable and gave it a quick spin. Only used it to look at two websites so far, will spend some more time with it over the weekend. Must admit I was startled at just how fast it opened up, and how responsive it is.

I applaud anyone that keeps the 32bit flag flying. Admittedly I don't really need 32bit, but I realise that in some parts of the world there is still a definite demand for 32bit. Apart from 32bit processors, there are other reasons for using 32bit. Up until last year I had a little netbook that although 64bit I always ran 32bit OS's on. Being the pathetically under powered thing that it was, 32bit systems were so much more responsive.

Only last year I read an article about some country (sorry, can't remember which) where even now there are reportedly more computers running Windows XP than running Windows 10.

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 4:04 pm

There'll be plenty of out-of-date stuff.......but who wants that? Out-of-date browsers, in particular, are just asking for trouble..!

That's right up to a point Mike, but the thing most people miss is that it depends on what you're doing with it. On 2 or 3 of the Puppies I run I have never done anything important on them. Nothing financial, nothing personal, never even logged into a forum. So none of these Puppies contain any of my personal details whatsoever. Who cares if everythings's out of date?

I sometimes tell people, just for amusement, that I still have a Windows 7 laptop with absolutely no security software on it at all. I wait a few minutes for the shock and commotion to calm down, then I tell them it isn't connected to the internet, so what's the issue? I would say this is a simple case of "jumping to conclusions before the true facts have been established". :lol:

Return to “Browsers and Internet”