EssentialPIM -- runs under Wine

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

EssentialPIM -- runs under Wine

Post by mikeslr »

If you don’t run Wine, you’re out of luck. If you do, get EssentialPIM version 9.4.1 from here, https://filehippo.com/download_essentialpim/9.4.1/. Detailed information can be found on its website, https://www.essentialpim.com/component/ ... Itemid=101. The download I suggest works under wine, and during setup will offer the choice of generating either an “installed” or portable application. If you want portable, create a folder to house it before running setup.

The attached screenshot hints at its various modules which most will find self-explanatory. Mail offers to setup email accounts. There’s a tool on the Menu for generating (I assume) secure Passwords; and the Password module offers to keep track of your User Names and Passwords. Beyond that I don’t know. I the absence of encryption –perhaps I haven’t discovered it yet-- I probably won’t use those modules.

EssentialPIM GUI
EssentialPIM GUI
Screenshot.png (146.27 KiB) Viewed 1262 times

Still, for me, the name EssentialPIM, remains spot-on.

Today is Garbage Day. I recall putting the garbage cans on the street last night. Unfortunately, Garbage Day comes twice each week. There used to be once-a-week TV programs everyone watched that helped temporally orient everyone. Now there are thousands of channels and nothing to watch.

Retirement, circumstances and perhaps biology combine to obscure my realization of what activities may require prompt action. Retirement means there’s seldom any urgency to get organized to do anything. Covid 19 means there’s seldom anywhere to go. So one day is pretty much identical with every other day and seldom a need not to allow mood alone to alter the timing of an habitual routine.

There’s also a possible biological flaw having created a stumbling block. My circadian clock is out of wake. At 2:00 AM I am wide awake and clear headed. That seems to be hereditary. My family jokes about origins in Transylvania and being “Children of the Night”. It is not so funny when, prior to retirement, I had to be miles from home and alert ‘first thing in the morning’ by someone else’s definition. And although infrequent, there still are such days.

So what I want to know the first thing each morning after I’ve routinely poured my first cup of coffee and turned on my computer: Is this a day I am free to dawdle or must I ‘get my ass in gear’. Then being ‘fogging headed’ it doesn’t occur to me to open a Calendar/To-do lists application. But later in the day, it does occur to me that an application which auto-starts and displays at boot-up would be a good idea.

EssentialPIM was discovered after I had a problem with Osmo, viewtopic.php?p=8640#p8640, I’ve attached a pet which will create a menu-entry and facilitate adding EssentialPIM to your Startup folder. You’ll probably have to edit one file. The pet installs a file named “EssentialPIM” to /root/my-applications/bin. It’s a bash-script which opens the program under wine. It’s critical line is:

wine.sh /mnt/home/xp-apps/essentialpim/EssentialPIM.exe

I’m running portable wine, and on my computer portable-windows programs are located at /mnt/home/xp-apps/. EssentialPIM.exe is the name given by its publisher. If you’re running wine (rather than wine-portable) the Linux executable will be just ‘wine’ –without the .sh. Your path to the Windows executable will most likely be different. A template for editing the critical line is:

wine(.sh) /FULL-PATH-TO-CONTAINING-FOLDER/EssentialPIM.exe

If you drag /root/my-applications/bin/EssentialPIM into /root/Startup, select Link(relative) and Save that change, EssentialPIM will greet you as soon as you boot into Puppy. :thumbup: You'll get an easily dismissed nag about paying for the Pro version. :( But, you may even find that's worth doing.

Attachments
EssentialPIM.pet
(18.33 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
01101001b

Re: EssentialPIM -- runs under Wine

Post by 01101001b »

mikeslr wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:15 pm EssentialPIM was discovered after I had a problem with Osmo
Did you try MyPhoneExplorer? It's free, runs on wine and syncs with your phone or tablet :thumbup2:

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

amethyst has published an SFS, viewtopic.php?p=18833#p18833, and intending to provide a link in this Section to that thread I discovered this thread which I forgot I had started the last time I was exploring alternatives to Osmo.

EssentialPIM appears to be more complete and with a nicer GUI than Osmo. If you search you'll find instructions for exporting Osmo's records and importing them into EssentialPIM. I don't know if it will function with amethyst's version, but with recent (perhaps only paid?) versions you can synchronize the EssentialPIM on your PC with the one on your Smartphone/Tablet.

The most recent free version does provide extensive encryption capabilities. The paid version offers a choice of encryption algorithms.

I still haven't put EssentialPIM to use. One thing I like about Osmo is that I can schedule an alarm which activates when the need to undertake a task become imperative. A notice is prominently displayed; and IIRC an alarm is sounded. Don't know if EssentialPIM does both.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

A notice is prominently displayed; and IIRC an alarm is sounded. Don't know if EssentialPIM does both.

That it does. Been using the old version I published, works well, in fact I'm starting to like it a lot.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, amethyst. Good to know.

You can download documentation about EssentialPIM from here, https://www.essentialpim.com/support. There's a section about importing. One of the file-types it can import is ics which I believe are used by google calendars. It can also import records in vcf (vcard) format.
Edit: More importantly, you can export your Osmo Tasks in ics format and import them into EssentialPIM.
But EssentialPIM can not directly import Osmo records which are maintained as xml files. I found an online converter to convert Osmo records to csv. Importing was not great, but manageable except for Contact records. Edit again, you can export Contacts in cvs format and import them into EssentialPIM; well at least using the newest version for Windows XP 32-bit.

By the way, this is a true portable: it maintains its records in its own folder. :thumbup:

Last edited by mikeslr on Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

The old version can import contacts from Outlook Express, CSV and vCard. This version is not portable however I have configured mine in such a way that only the small .ini file is required to be in application data in .wine's c_drive to be able to run the application. It just won't run any other way. Normally I'm able to make a "portable" by moving all the system files bits and pieces after installation to the application's programme folder (not always that easy, may need to re-assemble to get it working) and it then in most cases runs as a "true" portable. I have found that many Windows applications advertised as portables STILL leave traces somewhere in the system (for instance the registry) though.

Return to “Business”