How to uninstall FireFox on FossaPup96?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

captainkennway

How to uninstall FireFox on FossaPup96?

Post by captainkennway »

I am trying to remove Fire Fox am using this super-old machine keeps crashing. Other lightweight browsers are doing better, :P . It was already pre-installed. Thanks in advance

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: How to uninstall FireFox on FossaPup96?

Post by rockedge »

easy way (in the save folder) or more involved to really remove it from the rootfs SFS???

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

What Puppy? See you specified F96. Some Puppys provided firefox via the adrv.sfs or ydrv.sfs included in the ISO. These are automatically copied into RAM on bootup. The only way to get rid of it is to delete the adrv.sfs or ydrv.sfs or modify it. But before you delete Left-Click the adrv/ydrv.sfs and View Contents. It will likely (but not necessarily) be in /opt with a desktop file in /usr/share/applications. But make sure there aren't any other applications you want to keep that were also provided by the adrv/ydrv.sfs. If there are, report back and we'll explain how to get rid of firefox without also deleting applications you actually want.

Just examined my copy of the Iso. firefox was included in the base SFS, To actually remove it would require a remaster. Rockedge's suggestion, or the following will simply prevent its appearance and use: deletions create 'white-outs' in the SaveFile that are honored including when you rebuild the base SFS by remastering. Unless I'm remastering what I usually do is just delete the appropriate /usr/share/applications/???.desktop file so that there's no display; or better still, edit that file. For example open /usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop in a text editor and change Categories= to read Categories=Z-Internet-browser. There are no recognized "Z" categories, so no display. A simple reversion reinstates firefox.

An easier approach is to download and deploy one of of Mikewalsh's palemoon-portables, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 4251#p4251. After your use (Left-Click) the included Menu-Add script to create a menu entry, you can set palemoon as your default web-browser: Menu>Setup>Set Default Apps. Remember to execute a Save to preserve that change. Thereafter you can just ignore firefox.

Removing applications is only important if you're remastering and don't want to include them.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

menu ->Setup ->Remove Builtin Packages

Warning make sure to only select the name of a program from the list.

There is stuff listed, that if removed, will prevent the Puppy from running or something working.

All the stuff is in read only SFS files and do not get deleted.

They get white listed, so to the Operating system, they are not seen or used.

But being a web browser, I would keep it as is, just do not use it.
There may be a time when you need to use it.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Beginners Help”