Puppy installation working with shortcuts!!

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

PipzDex

Puppy installation working with shortcuts!!

Post by PipzDex »

Hello forum
Today I want to share with you a curious fact that today I was lucky enough to first experience accidentally and then I did it on purpose ...
See what I mean ...

I have the habit of continually editing the main sfs of a special distro and sometimes I modify one for a certain more specific use, either for more than anything surfing the internet, editing videos or images, to compile programs or simply to do tests of knowing whether it works or not ...
So I am comfortable with some sfs and being from a single distro (for example Xenial, in my case Precisely) duplicating files usually takes up space on the disks significantly so by mistake I made some shortcuts of the parts such as adrv, devx , fdvr, initgz, vmlinuz and zdrv wanting to copy the original files but only the main sfs is inside the folder with shortcuts, from this it occurred to me to run grub4dos and without problems I detect the three test folders that I did and when I started the system, they worked as if the original files were there, even, I respect the sessions saved in each folder without mixing or anything ... and that is the curiosity to share ...

If you have several main sfs from a single distro, you can separate them into folders for each one and making shortcuts of the other complementary files, check image ...
ejemplo.jpg
ejemplo.jpg (95.54 KiB) Viewed 159 times

Thus we avoid duplicating unnecessary files and taking advantage of the hard disk space ...

Could it be that puppy is so noble that it allows us to work in this way, helping to save space on our drives?
Personally, I loved it because now I can continue editing my sfs and if I ruined my session, I know I would not have to start all over again, like with one main sfs y various savefolder .

The shortcuts was made with Rox file manager

So far my report
Cheers

Pentium (R) 2.20GHz I RAM: 8.0 GB I F96-CE_5 I Kernel 6.6.8-64oz-ao I Glibc: 2.31 I 1600x900 Px

My Puppy Stuff and more

Return to “Users”