How Do you Keep Track of your Backup Saved Folders?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

JusGellin

How Do you Keep Track of your Backup Saved Folders?

Post by JusGellin »

How do you organize your backup save folders so you know what they contain?

I'm not the best for organizing these and tend to lose track of what is in them.
I sometimes make a backup and think I'll remember what I did to that one -- then of course forget.
I even sometimes write what's in them but then can't find where I did this.
Maybe it would be good to use a spreadsheet to keep track of them.

Do you have ways to help you do this?
Thanks

fernan

Re: How Do you Keep Track of your Backup Saved Folders?

Post by fernan »

I think a spreadsheet and writing by yourself what's in a folder won't be a practical solution.

What kind of backup are you talking about? The pupsave files, or data folders in your computer?

The usual tools I use to backup data folders are:

To backup to local drives (or external drives mounted on my computer) rsync command with the appropriate syntax and options, you can run it by hand, writing a short script so you just click on it to run the commands, or automatically at certain time using the cron command

And, my favorite backup tool: syncthing app. It will synchronize folders between different computers, on the same local network or through the internet. It takes a bit of tweaking at first, but once it's set up, it's very reliable and transparent to the user, you won't notice it's even running, you just do anything on your local folders, and that will be replicated on the other computers. It has even versions backups, so when you delete a file on one computer, the other computers keep backup copies (as many as you set) on a hidden folder, for a specified period (it could be years of backup versions of a file if you want, and your storage is large enough). It also has backup options, so one computer (or folder) can be used as backup only, only receiving files and not sending changes to the rest of the computers.

JusGellin

Post by JusGellin »

@fernan

What kind of backup are you talking about? The pupsave files, or data folders in your computer?

I was thinking of the pupsave files backups.

In windows I used SyncBack to keep local network files in sync.
It's good to know that Linux has a similar apps.

Thanks

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

JusGellin wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:37 pm

@fernan

I was thinking of the pupsave files backups.

In windows I used SyncBack to keep local network files in sync.
It's good to know that Linux has a similar apps.

Thanks

The pupsave-backup routine names the file with a timestamp. What I do is go to a file manager and rename the save, and my naming convention is usually something like:

(remember you can't change anything before the dash if you want it to load)

fossapup64save-DPi7_16_coritleK (DPi7 being my personal id code for the Dell-Precision i7 machine it was running from, 16 being the sequential number of cumulative saves, cortileK the applications or changes made to that particular save)

So this means I had 15 prior versions of development before making this save. At this stage I usually just delete earlier ones, because if I need to roll back I can go back to 15 or 14, and by the time I think it's prudent to start fresh, there will probably be a newer version to install.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Return to “Users”