Experience in updating from Easy OS 5.7 to 5.8.

Moderator: BarryK

Averoigne

Experience in updating from Easy OS 5.7 to 5.8.

Post by Averoigne »

Hi, Averoigne here:
May I share my experience of updating from 5.7 to 5.8, in case that may shed some light on things in general?
OK; my kit is an old Dell Optiplex i7-3770 with 16G ram, an intel chipset and realtek ethernet (PCI).

I began with a fully up to date Eas OS 5.7, with both Kirkstone and Bookwork containers present.

On updating using the update "green thumb", a warning appeared that "there is no easy-*img file at location /mnt/wkg.
As a novice, I went for the option of downloading the "full-fat" new 5.8 file.

This seemed to go well - except that I lost all access to firefox (Vivaldi was fine), as follows: -
# On the desktop: The firefox icon appeared normal, but when I tried to open it the error message said
"Your firefox profile cannot be located. It may be missing or inaccessible."
# In the Kirkstone container: The firefox icon was not normal, appearing as a default box. The error message on opening said:
" error scanning '/home/firefox: Can't open directory. Permission denied."

# In the Bookworm container: Firefox (from the www icon) opened and operated normally.

I was all too much. Decided to do a clean install, and use a different SSD storage unit as well.
This worked fine, and Easy OS 5.8 isrunning well -
Except for appi and flappi not able to establish an internet connect as per my other post.

Thanks,
Averoigne

Return to “EasyOS”