How to mark a folder as shared on Google-Drive (allows access by others and not require login by them)

Moderator: Forum moderators

fredx181

How to mark a folder as shared on Google-Drive (allows access by others and not require login by them)

Post by fredx181 »

If you use Google Drive to store software you are offering for download.
Use shared settings for it, so others can access it without having to log into Google Drive.

There's some concern about some links possibly shared on this forum from Google-Drive; viewtopic.php?t=11370

Here's mini howto: mark a folder as "shared":
Say you created a folder "NEW" on your google-drive and want it to mark as "shared' (anyone with the link can view and/or download).

• Right-click on NEW and select "Share" > "Share":
    2024-04-28_19-51-21.png
    2024-04-28_19-51-21.png (69.41 KiB) Viewed 299 times
  • Change 'Restricted' to "Anyone with the link":
    2024-04-28_19-53-21.gif
    2024-04-28_19-53-21.gif (57.97 KiB) Viewed 299 times
    Then the folder NEW and all files inside NEW will be marked as 'shared' and creating a link from any file inside will not show the login dialog from Google (direct download or/and view).
    Similar can be done with individual files, btw (i.e. inside a folder that is not "shared' overall).

EDIT: To test, link to first picture from my 'NEW' folder: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fDtnxq ... sp=sharing

Last edited by bigpup on Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added some info to subject and a short statement at the top of the post.
jamesbond

Re: How to mark a folder as shared on Google-Drive (allows access by others and not require login by them)

Post by jamesbond »

I don't know if I have shared this before, or if you all already know this, but this tool can help you to download files from Google Drive directly if it is shared properly as the @fredx181's instructions.

https://github.com/circulosmeos/gdown.pl

Perl required.

Return to “File Management”