having trouble with frugal install

Moderator: BarryK

OldMan

having trouble with frugal install

Post by OldMan »

The instructions for the frugal install say "Installation is incredibly simple. You just need to create a folder in the ext4 partition, and copy three files, 'vmlinuz', 'initrd' and 'easy.sfs' into that folder. Those files are inside the 'easy-<version>-amd64.img' file."

When I open the USB drive that I currently have Easy OS installed on 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd' are in the easyos folder but there is no 'easy.sfs' although there is a sfs folder. There is also a releases folder and within that there is an easy-5.7 folder and in that folder there is also 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd' and here there is an easy.sfs but it is a Sym link.

Can someone please clarify which of all of these files I need to copy into my easyos folder that I created on my SSD. Or do I just copy everything including all the other files and folders that are there.

Thanks heaps.

Philh

Re: having trouble with frugal install

Post by Philh »

The symlink should point to easy_5.7_amd64.sfs
copy that file to your new folder with vmlinuz and initrd and rename it to easy.sfs

Tahrbaby

Post by Tahrbaby »

OldMan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:10 am

The instructions for the frugal install say "Installation is incredibly simple. You just need to create a folder in the ext4 partition, and copy three files, 'vmlinuz', 'initrd' and 'easy.sfs' into that folder. Those files are inside the 'easy-<version>-amd64.img' file.".

Installing from an EasyOS img file does not use the same method as for installing other versions of Puppy which are iso files.

https://easyos.org/install/how-to-write ... drive.html

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Tahrbaby wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:22 pm

Installing from an EasyOS img file does not use the same method as for installing other versions of Puppy which are iso files.

https://easyos.org/install/how-to-write ... drive.html

and if you want to duplicate an existing install with the methods posted by philh, dont forget to copy over the hidden folder .sessions

OldMan

Post by OldMan »

Thanks all.

I tried copying and renaming the easy_5.7_amd64.sfs and ended up with a kernal panic when trying to boot into it. So I ended up copying the entire easyos folder from my USB installation onto my SSD and that worked perfectly.

Return to “EasyOS”