Microsoft Forever!

MochiMoppel

Microsoft Forever!

Post by MochiMoppel »

Over the years I used various PCs, quite a number of storage devices and all kinds of mice and trackballs.
Sooner or later they all ended up as garbage. With one exception: my keyboard.

Yesterday I noticed that it is its 30th birthday. A Microsoft Natural Keyboard, manufactured 1994, "MICROSOFT® WINDOWS™ COMPATIBLE" and "MADE IN USA". Considering that it is in daily use for 30 years, that the key markings are still perfect and everything works as new I find this really remarkable. The original gray color has turned a bit yellowish, but that's all. USB wasn't available at that time, so I use it with a PS/2-> USB connector.

My hands are so used to it that I keep a spare model, just in case my precious keyboard breaks, but it doesn't :lol:
The spare is slightly older younger, now "Designed for Microsoft™ WIndows95" and "MADE IN MEXICO", but still not the successor "Elite" model. I'll probably never need it.

Last edited by MochiMoppel on Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
mouldy

Re: Microsoft Forever!

Post by mouldy »

Yea they used to make excellent mice and keyboards when done in USA, but not so great on operating systems.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I haven't used a wired keyboard/mouse in years. Even when new PCs from HP/Dell/Lenovo have been received, I stack them in a corner in favor of the many wireless I have for TVs, tablets and PC use.

Now that this thread has cause me to think a little, I have a keyboard that is over a decade old wiith its original batteries...hummm??? think I'll order a bunch of new AAAs and replace all. (This was done last summer as I replaced all of my decades-old PCs with new button motherboard batteries.

Thanks for this reminder trigger.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@MochiMoppel

Is this the keyboard you are referring to?

I owned this particular one.

I touchtype and it was so easy to use and comfortable.

Mind you it did take up a lot of space.

spiritwild

Post by spiritwild »

I remember buying a tape drive. still have the thing. This is around the early 90s. I used it to back up my BBS system.
At the time it was pretty awesome even though I started a backup in spring and it ran until late summer :thumbup: LOL

I also had an old 386 server from work that weighed like 45 pounds. You'd flip this big red switch and it sounded like small jet engine winding up. It was well built and probably a $2000 pc of eqt at the time.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

You !!! Freaks. :lol: ;)

MochiMoppel

Microsoft Forever!

Post by MochiMoppel »

Jasper wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:41 pm

@MochiMoppel
Is this the keyboard you are referring to?
Mind you it did take up a lot of space.

No.Your photo shows the "Elite", the successor that had a different key layout, which made it 5 cm less wide than the original model.
This is mine:

NaturalKeyboard.jpg
NaturalKeyboard.jpg (29.4 KiB) Viewed 223 times

It also comes with a pen sharpener :lol: I can't remember where I got this and how old it is, but it looks like a pre-war model and is definitely older than the keyboard. Only marking is "GERMANY".

sharpener.jpg
sharpener.jpg (28.6 KiB) Viewed 223 times

Return to “Off-Topic Area”