Fossapup 9.5 desktop icons positions not saved when rebooting. Internet does not autoconnect either.

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

GNU2Linux

Fossapup 9.5 desktop icons positions not saved when rebooting. Internet does not autoconnect either.

Post by GNU2Linux »

More beginner questions to finish customizing my setup. I have FossaPup 9.5 successfully working on a 16 GB USB drive that I boot from and load into RAM on one of my older computers. It's using Pupmode 13 successfully and allows me to save changes to the operating system like the desktop background image and conky color & position which I customized in the config file. But for some reason every time I reboot, it moves the Save icon and Trash icon, the only two icons I want on the desktop, back over to the upper right underneath the conky rather than the upper left where I want them.

1- It seems like there should be an easy way to pin icons to specific places on the desktop so they don't keep defaulting back elsewhere. I tried clicking edit on the icon and select "lock" but that didn't work. In JWM's Desktop Icon Setup I even chose Custom- Choose Your Saved Profile rather than Traditional, Minimal, Bare or Trash Only and clicked the button to save the custom arrangement. But that doesn't keep them in my selected position either even after saving to Pupsave before rebooting.

2- Also, on the Drive Icon tab there is only Traditional, Lean or Minimal so it seems like there is no way to get rid of every drive icon from the desktop. Is there any way to get rid of it so a drive icon doesn't appear at all? I can't get the one drive icon to stay where I want it on the desktop either, it keeps defaulting back to the lower left when it does appear. I'd rather get rid of it altogether or at least move it elsewhere.

3- Lastly, when I reboot I have to manually reconnect my wired connection every time. Barry's Simple Network Setup saves a profile for my wired ethernet connection but it doesn't auto-connect like it should. Any idea how to fix this?

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Desktop icons positions not saved when rebooting. Internet does not autoconnect either.

Post by rockedge »

But for some reason every time I reboot, it moves the Save icon and Trash icon, the only two icons I want on the desktop, back over to the upper right underneath the conky rather than the upper left where I want them.

Odd! They should stay put where you leave them. There is a spot in the desktop configuration for what icon layout you use and to save a custom setup.

Menu->Desktop->JWMdesk

Lastly, when I reboot I have to manually reconnect my wired connection every time. Barry's Simple Network Setup saves a profile for my wired ethernet connection but it doesn't auto-connect like it should. Any idea how to fix this?

Also should be connecting to a wired eth0 automatically.....usually the wired connection is the most reliable to connect too!

Return to “Beginners Help”