Persistent bug in Rox file manager (fossapup64_9,5)

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

Governor

Persistent bug in Rox file manager (fossapup64_9,5)

Post by Governor »

When I am downloading a file and subsequently choose to delete a file in the directory before completing the download, the file I am downloading assumes the name of the file on top in the file manager list. So If I continue with the download, that first file will be overwritten with the file I am downloading and of course the name of the downloaded file is lost.

I took a video of this, but am unable to upload it in Palemoon or Brave. I get a wrong file extension denial message. Is it not allowed to upload videos as a file attachment?

Is this bug still in all Puppy versions using Rox? Is the bug present in fossapup64_9.6?

Where can I find a newer version of fossapup64, or a better version of Puppy if it exists?

bigpup wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 3:57 am

The only work on Fossapup64 9.5 was to produce F96-CE, which is Fossapup64 9.6

Some stuff got updated and improved.

As for working bugs in Fossapup64 9.5
No work is being done.
Time to move on to a newer version of Puppy, if you cannot live with the bugs, it may still have.

Distro: fossapup64 9.5
Window Manager: JWM v2.4.0
Desktop Start: xwin jwm
Firefox portable: 115.5.0esr (64-bit)

Trapster

Re: Persistent bug in Rox file manager (fossapup64_9,5)

Post by Trapster »

When you click on a file to download, a window will open and ask if you would like to run, or save, the file.
If you choose save, another window will open and ask where and what would you like to name the file.

If you click on a file while the second window is open, then the name of the file you want to download will change to the file you clicked on. Nothing is downloading at this point. You're only setting up where and what name do you want.
This is not a "bug"

Once you choose the name and location for the download file and then click "save", you are now downloading and the name should not change while it's downloading.

I have never seen, what you think you're describing, happen.

Hope this helps.

Governor

Post by Governor »

No, you do not understand what I mean. Video at link below.

https://sendvid.com/kztjbsvp

Trapster wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:54 pm

When you click on a file to download, a window will open and ask if you would like to run, or save, the file.
If you choose save, another window will open and ask where and what would you like to name the file.

If you click on a file while the second window is open, then the name of the file you want to download will change to the file you clicked on. Nothing is downloading at this point. You're only setting up where and what name do you want.
This is not a "bug"

Once you choose the name and location for the download file and then click "save", you are now downloading and the name should not change while it's downloading.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Governor on Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Governor wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:20 pm

No, you do not understand what I mean. Video at link below.

https://sendvid.com/kztjbsvp

Trapster wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:54 pm

This is not a "bug"

Hope this helps.

What Trapster told you is correct. Your video appears to confirm this. As you clicked on a file during the download process, the file name being highlighted is deemed to be the file name you wish to save the file as. It's annoying, seemingly a quirk of rox-filer. I've done it myself.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

HerrBert

Post by HerrBert »

What i see is the download dialog of your browser selecting the highlighted file name...
This is not a bug in ROX File Manager.

Governor

Post by Governor »

@TerryH
@Trapster

Exactly! And I did not highlight the filename!

I will break it down.

The file I am downloading is:
foxyproxy_standard-8.9.xpi

I notice in the destination folder a file version which I no longer want to have:
foxyproxy_basic-8.9.xpi

I decide to delete the unwanted file while I am there, so I won't forget it or have to come back and do it later. I right click on the file and delete it.

Next, the filename of the file I am downloading suddenly changes to the file at the top of the Rox file listing. So Rox decides to change the file name of the file being downloaded all by itself. I did nothing.

At the end of the video, I merely point to the file at the top of the list with my mouse so you will notice that this file name has now replaced the name of the file being downloaded.

This is not a quirk, it is a bug.

HerrBert wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:46 pm

What i see is the download dialog of your browser selecting the highlighted file name...
This is not a bug in ROX File Manager.

Trapster

Post by Trapster »

Click on any file in that download dialog box and it will change the name of the file you want to download.
It's how it's meant to work.

I would suggest to not use the download dialog box as a file manager.

Governor

Post by Governor »

After deleting the unwanted file, I did not click on any other file, and you know what happened next. If anyone claims this is not a bug, then we can call it a design flaw instead.

In this case, I would suggest that programmers refrain from adding a menu choice that interferes with the main function of downloading a file.
Better yet, how about making sure the menu choice works without interfering with the main function?

Trapster wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:32 am

Click on any file in that download dialog box and it will change the name of the file you want to download.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Governor wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:39 pm

After deleting the unwanted file, I did not click on any other file, and you know what happened next. If anyone claims this is not a bug, then we can call it a design flaw instead.

In this case, I would suggest that programmers refrain from adding a menu choice that interferes with the main function of downloading a file.
Better yet, how about making sure the menu choice works without interfering with the main function?

Trapster wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:32 am

As rox-filer is no longer maintained, you either accept its limitations and quirks, or use a different file manager.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Governor

Post by Governor »

Are there better alternatives to rox-filer?

> you either accept its limitations and quirks, or use a different file manager

You forgot to mention bugs? Seriously, is it actually tabu to mention "bugs"?

Is there a newer version of fossapup, or another Puppy that is less "buggy" than fossapup?

Thanks!!

TerryH wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:13 pm

As rox-filer is no longer maintained, you either accept its limitations and quirks, or use a different file manager.

Keef

Post by Keef »

This would probably happen with any file selection dialog with any application. You select a different file, and the entry changes. As this is a download, you can only get back to it by closing the box and selecting the link again.
It has nothing to do with rox.

But yes, not a very useful right-click option.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@Governor ,

Nothing you have reported as a "bug" on this forum has actually been a bug. It's has almost exclusively been your own misunderstanding of how to use the routine correctly, or simply a dislike of the design.

I could be wrong. You might prove me wrong by linking to a "bug report" of yours on this forum that has actually been a bug. Then I will humbly stand corrected.

A bug to my understanding is when the code logic is flawed such that it does not function as intended, or produces unexpected errors. If the code achieves it's objective, and does not produce an unexpected error or side effect, then it's not a bug. You may not like it's operational characteristics, that's why there are different choices.

Instead of asking if there are other file managers besides rox, why not look at the package manager and find one from the Focal Fossa Ubuntu repo included in your puppy OS? Then try one and see if you like it better.

I personally use Xfe File Manager for almost everything on every OS. I prefer it over Rox, Thunar, PcmanFM, Midnight Commander etc.... That's my personal preference, and the others function just fine, even though I don't prefer them for certain reasons.

After a certain point, I consider constantly titling posts "I found a bug" to be a certain form of TROLLING, or perhaps you feel you will get a quicker response with that approach. Though it's not my place to judge your motives, I do feel this aspect of your posting needs to be pointed out. There are actually bugs in the software we deal with here that need to be addressed. Renaming a file by clicking on a another file in the file browser dialog is almost a universal behavior in applications, and it is no way a bug.

Gtk does the same thing. Try going to their forum and reporting it as bug. Then report your findings.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Governor

Post by Governor »

It is a similar problem if you download a file and want to first find if there are any files with similar names before completing the download. It seems as soon as the focus goes away from the filename download field at the top, strange things happen.

IMO, there is no valid reason to have menu selections that circumvent the main purpose of the download box while engaged in downloading a file. It's a bug. I have lost files due to this because they were unexpectedly overwritten.

Left-clicking on a random file during download will understandably be interpreted as a signal to replace that file with the file being downloaded. However, right-clicking on a random file and using the pop-up menu to delete it, should not change the filename that is being downloaded. After a random deletion, the focus should remain on (or return to) the task at hand. Aren't the deletion of a file and the downloading a file separate processes?

The OS was released in September 2020, and as it has been clearly pointed out, nobody is fixing any bugs or working on any issues.

On a positive note. The very best thing about this OS is the portable apps from @mikewalsh. As long as they are on one of my ext4 partitions (not FAT32), I can always count on them to be there for me and work as intended.
Thanks!

Keef wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:39 pm

This would probably happen with any file selection dialog with any application. You select a different file, and the entry changes. As this is a download, you can only get back to it by closing the box and selecting the link again.
It has nothing to do with rox.

But yes, not a very useful right-click option.

Last edited by Governor on Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Governor

Post by Governor »

Please add me to your ignore list. I would really, really, really appreciate it.
Thank you so much!

Persona non grata. I will not be reading any of your posts from now on. Good luck to you.

geo_c wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:00 am

8<--------

Last edited by Governor on Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:52 am

IMO, there is no valid reason to have menu selections that circumvent the main purpose of the download box while engaged in downloading a file. It's a bug. I have lost files due to this because they were unexpectedly overwritten.

No matter what application you are using, when doing a File Open, File Save, File Save As, or Save Download operation, it's not advisable to attempt general file management tasks from the dialog window. That is simply not what the dialog box is designed to do, and it never will be, and you can insist it's a bug all you want. Don't use right click options. Just save or open your file then use the main file manager window and use your right click options there.

I have the self discipline to ignore you when I feel like it, I don't need a list.

Since you brought up @mikewalsh's portables, the post where you claimed his Brave portable "isn't portable at all" was the catalyst for my decision not to ignore you. Because here you have someone who has provided enormous benefit to this whole community by providing carefully packaged portable applications and for no fault of his own there is now a post sitting on the forum saying that his portable build of Brave is essentially false advertising. Well that is simply disrespectful.

Just reword your posts. Cut out the "this crappy OS has a bug" nonsense.

Stop using fossapup64_9.5 if you don't like it's age, and find something more recent, simple.

None of us sit around using Lucid Pup and complain that it's out of date.

Last edited by geo_c on Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@geo_c :-

Well, thanks for the "vote of confidence", old son. It IS appreciated.

Me, I still run Tahrpup64 and Xenialpup64.....along with a highly-customized build of an old, personal favourite, Slacko 5.6.0. Yes, I'm perfectly well aware that Tahr64 is 10 years old, Xenial64 is 8 yrs old, and 5.6.0 is nearer 12.

I'm posting this from Midori 11.3.1 (updated just 4 days ago) in Tahrpup64. It's responsive, does what I want and is still a perfectly usable 'daily driver'. For Slacko 5.6.0 - a 32-bit Puppy - I run up-to-date 64-bit browsers from a 32-bit Xenialpup chroot, courtesy of peebee's "64-bit compatibility mode" SFS package..! :shock: :D

viewtopic.php?t=10445

(Convoluted, I grant you.....but it seems to work well, and is surprisingly stable.)

You won't hear me complaining about them being out-of-date, either; I know they are, and I run them out of choice.....because I've found ways to get things like up-to-date browsers working with them, and I employ as much mitigation as I possibly can. I can still confidently state that in a decade with Puppy, I haven't garnered ANY "nasties" or malware. Not YET..... :lol: :lol:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

I think the definition of "bug" is something like "doesn't work as 'advertised', or 'expected', so important is when sharing something is to mention e.g. 'note: works only with that' and 'note that: doesn't work when doing this or that'.
So IMO often the whole point is how much detailed information is given about some shared software project, and that it is not always clear for inexperienced users (i.e. sometimes assuming that the user knows already the ins and outs about certain things).
Also it may happen of course that it may be documented well, but users don't read all or/and don't understand.

IMO in short, calling something a 'bug' can be ignorance about how certain things work or lacking proper documentation from the software developer (so maybe we are all guilty ? :?: ;) ) .

Return to “Bug Reports”