Keyboard Shortcuts to Open and Close Apps? (Solved)

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

GNU2Linux

Keyboard Shortcuts to Open and Close Apps? (Solved)

Post by GNU2Linux »

I'm a very keyboard driven user who is relatively new to Puppy. I'm using FossaPup 9.5. I was wondering what the most efficient keyboard shortcuts there are to open and close applications. I'm used to Windows key followed by one or two letters in Windows or Super followed by one or two letters in Mint for example to bring up application names that start with those letters that one can then hit enter directly to select and launch an app without touching a mouse.

I see FindnRun app in FossaPup which is activated by a global hotkey combo Super + F. The hotkey seems to never work the first time I try to open the FindnRun app itself when I am using FossaPup, but works consistently after that repeatedly. Using FindnRun one can type letters, select from the drop down and hit enter to launch an app. Is FindnRun the most efficient and direct way to open any app in Puppy Linux without touching a mouse or are there other alternatives I am missing?

To close an already opened app it seems like CTRL + Q usually works for most apps I have tried, but it's not consistent. For example I couldn't find a key combination yet that would close MPV. Nor does it work with Internet Connection Wizard or Setup utilities for example. Doesn't work with the console (terminal) either although I'm sure one can add a one key alias there like q followed by enter to close with two key strokes like I do in Mint.

I'd be interested to hear from other keyboard focused users as to how they navigate to open and close apps and work in Puppy.

MochiMoppel

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts to Open and Close Apps?

Post by MochiMoppel »

GNU2Linux wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:20 am

To close an already opened app it seems like CTRL + Q usually works for most apps I have tried, but it's not consistent. For example I couldn't find a key combination yet that would close MPV.

Alt+F4 (almost) always works.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

menu ->Desktop ->JWMdesk ->Desktop tab ->JWM Hotkey

This will tell you what is already setup for hotkeys.

You can change them or make some of your own.

Some of the programs in Puppy are simple script files.
Using FindnRun may be your best option for them.

JWM Window Manger is not trying to be a big bloated window manager that does every possible thing.
So it does have limits to what it can do.

Using programs that are small in size, but do basically what is needed, is how Puppy Linux stays small in size.
So there are some limitations on what can be done.

Anyone coming from another Linux OS needs to read this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=7630

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

GNU2Linux

Post by GNU2Linux »

Seems like it should be fairly straightforward to add some custom keyboard shortcuts in JWM, but I'm stuck at the Add new shortcut screen trying to figure out how to do it in FossaPup 9.5.

How does one create a keyboard shortcut with the Super Key particularly, for example Super + e? The left Super Key if one needs to be specific. I have "e" selected in the key box, but what to put in Mask? There is no Super a/k/a Windows key as an option.

Does one have to use one of the Mod options? Which one? Or does one have to use the Keycode box instead? Lastly what exactly would one put in the Action box where you see the question mark symbol to launch, say, Rox File manager?

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

I use Fossapup64 + LXDE, so I dont have the option of using the JWM technique, also with BW64 + LxDE.

I use super-key + t to get lxterminal opened on the desktop, as alt + t is already taken:

# Edit /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml Edit - insert after line ~ 261

<keybind key="W-t"> # windows/super + t
<action name="Execute">
<command>lxterminal --working-directory=/root/Desktop </command>
</action>
</keybind>

# Then run: openbox --reconfigure

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

What exactly other hotkey (shortcut) are you wanting to have, that is not already there to use?

If I know exactly what you want the new shortcut to do. I may be able to give you better info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The super key + e is already setup to open the file manager program.

I assume the super key is the Windows key.

In the list of the already setup shortcuts.
The ones with mod 4 are the super key ones.
Mod 4 is using super-L or super-R key.

The help tells you how to find out what the different mod shortcuts are using as the mod key.

In a terminal:

Code: Select all

xmodmap -pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how I do it.

Start the program JWM hotkey ->JWM keyboard shortcuts

The help button will provide some information about using it.

First you need to look over the already setup hotkeys (shortcuts), to make sure what you want to do, is not already provided.

If there is not a hotkey setup for what you need to do.

I found it helpful in making one, to find one already made, that does similar function to what I wanted.

In the list of shortcuts, highlight one and click on edit selected.

The edit window will open and you can see the settings used for this shortcut.

So I use it as a guide, on what I need to do, to make correct entries in the add new shortcut setup.

I have found, that you really are going to have to try a new shortcut setup, and see if it works.
If not working.
Try changing the setup, until it provides what you want.

If it is going to start a specific program. The shortcut needs to have action setup to exec: the specific file that runs the program.

The new hotkey you make, does need to be using settings that are not already used, in an already setup shortcut.

If you want to. You can change settings in an already setup shortcut, making it do what you want.

Forum Global Moderator

GNU2Linux

Post by GNU2Linux »

bigpup wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:56 pm

What exactly other hotkey (shortcut) are you wanting to have, that is not already there to use?

If I know exactly what you want the new shortcut to do. I may be able to give you better info.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The super key + e is already setup to open the file manager program.

I assume the super key is the Windows key.

In the list of the already setup shortcuts.
The ones with mod 4 are the super key ones.
Mod 4 is using super-L or super-R key.

The help tells you how to find out what the different mod shortcuts are using as the mod key.

In a terminal:

Code: Select all

xmodmap -pm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is how I do it.

Start the program JWM hotkey ->JWM keyboard shortcuts

The help button will provide some information about using it.

First you need to look over the already setup hotkeys (shortcuts), to make sure what you want to do, is not already provided.

If there is not a hotkey setup for what you need to do.

I found it helpful in making one, to find one already made, that does similar function to what I wanted.

In the list of shortcuts, highlight one and click on edit selected.

The edit window will open and you can see the settings used for this shortcut.

So I use it as a guide, on what I need to do, to make correct entries in the add new shortcut setup.

I have found, that you really are going to have to try a new shortcut setup, and see if it works.
If not working.
Try changing the setup, until it provides what you want.

If it is going to start a specific program. The shortcut needs to have action setup to exec: the specific file that runs the program.

The new hotkey you make, does need to be using settings that are not already used, in an already setup shortcut.

If you want to. You can change settings in an already setup shortcut, making it do what you want.

Thanks for the info. I was able to look at it again today with a fresh head and figured out how to make all my usual hotkkeys. A few of them already existed as defaults like ALT + Tab to switch between active windows, and Super + D to show the desktop. But several didn't and needed to be created. mod4 is indeed the Super (Windows) key. The action line needed exec: followed by the name of the program you want to launch and it has to be exact. Rox File Manager is "roxfiler" for example. This is not something I would have been able to guess. The Default Apps tab helped show the proper file names that the system recognizes for many apps.

Super+ e is now working to launch Rox file manager; Super + 1 to launch Pale Moon browser; CTRL + accent grave to launch the terminal and a few others that I have years of muscle memory built up.

After some more reading in the forum I was able to find and edit the .jwmrc file directly and add a couple of more custom hotkeys I wanted to use to switch between workspaces too, aside from the default ones.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

It would be a helpful how to, if you made a topic in the Instructional How-To Section ->Tips & Tweaks

Telling people how you did the shortcuts.

What each of you added shortcuts needed in their specific setups.

Those shortcuts you made may be useful to others.

That is what Puppy Linux is all about!

Forum Global Moderator

Return to “Beginners Help”