How can I change the format of the date displayed on the tooltip of the clock in system tray?

versatile 64-bit multi-user Linux distribution

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

tatemono

How can I change the format of the date displayed on the tooltip of the clock in system tray?

Post by tatemono »

I would like to configure the clock in system tray of FD64-901 so that its tooltip displays the date with the same format as the tooltip of FD64-812's clock does. However, I do not know how to do it. Could you please give me a hint?

By the way, the tooltip of the clock in system tray of Fatdog64-901 and that of Fatdog64-812 are shown as follows.

Attachments
screenshots.png
screenshots.png (78.01 KiB) Viewed 317 times
Flash

Re: How can I change the format of the date displayed on the tooltip of the clock in system tray?

Post by Flash »

In EasyOS it's Menu -> Desktop -> EasyJWM configure JWM -> Tray -> Time format. I don't know if FatDog has EasyJWM.

Chaos coordinator :?
step

Re: How can I change the format of the date displayed on the tooltip of the clock in system tray?

Post by step »

I don't think the tooltip can be formatted, unfortunately. The clocks in Fatdog64 812 and 901 are two different plugins, with different capabilities. The LxQt team discontinued the old clock plugin in favor of the worldclock plugin. One can see in source code commit [1], which added a tooltip to worldclock, that the format is fixed. In commit comments they added "Work in progress, add customizable tooltip format" but their intention remains unfulfilled to date.

Not what you asked, but to change the visible time/date in the panel, right click the clock icon and select configure "World Clock" to access the worldclock plugin configuration dialog. If you need advanced control of the time format tick "Advanced manual format" in the "Display format" tab then click button "Customise...". Follow instructions in the new dialog.

See also
[1] Commit introducing tooltip: <https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt-panel/comm ... ee732226d8>
[2] Fatdog64 901 worldclock plugin settings source code <https://github.com/lxqt/lxqt-panel/blob ... ration.cpp>.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

For most folks, getting the actual clock format right is a big enough challenge. Obsessing over the tooltip's format is for the true "nit-pickers" amongst us..... :shock: :D

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

tatemono

Post by tatemono »

step wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:29 pm

I don't think the tooltip can be formatted, unfortunately. The clocks in Fatdog64 812 and 901 are two different plugins, with different capabilities. The LxQt team discontinued the old clock plugin in favor of the worldclock plugin. One can see in source code commit [1], which added a tooltip to worldclock, that the format is fixed. In commit comments they added "Work in progress, add customizable tooltip format" but their intention remains unfulfilled to date.

@step Thank you for your detailed explanation, which helped me understand that the feature of customizable tooltip format of the worldclock plugin is still on the TODO list of that plugin.

step

Post by step »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:51 pm

For most folks, getting the actual clock format right is a big enough challenge. Obsessing over the tooltip's format is for the true "nit-pickers" amongst us.....

True, Mike, generally speaking, However, my guess is that @tatemono is looking for a quick way to read the name of the day without taking up panel space for it. Had the plugin developers settled for the "long" time format, instead of the "short" one as can be seen in the source code I linked, the tooltip in Fatdog64 901 would resemble the one in 812, with the name of the day and everything else.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

In Puppys this can be changed in /root/.jwmrc-tray, I think. I see the clock format in Fossa9.6.CE is: "%a %l:%M %p" which is more or less what the user is looking at.

Return to “FatDog64”