Bionicpup32 app install issue

Moderator: Forum moderators

Mahoni

Bionicpup32 app install issue

Post by Mahoni »

Hello All,
I am new on Linux. I try to install Firefox and Tux Paint by using Package Manager but I get same error. Please see attached photo. Any idea about solution?

I have downloaded firefox from web page and extract the package and it worked. But no change of finding Tux Paint package...

Attachments
20240331_165849.jpg
20240331_165849.jpg (288.87 KiB) Viewed 314 times
vtpup

Re: Bionicpup32 app install issue

Post by vtpup »

To update a installation database go to Puppy Package Manager, click on the little button on the upper left that looks like crossed tools, then choose the folder tab at the top that says "Update Database". In the window that opens click Update Now. Answer yes to any questions about updating. The package manager should restart when it finishes. Click the little tool icon to go back to the main installation screen (if you aren't returned there already), and see if you can now load the package you want.

Note that not all Ubuntu packages which Bionic Pup can install necessarily work well, since Bionic Puppy is not Ubuntu Bionic. But many will work okay.

For Browsers like Firefox, and my preference Seamonkey (also a Mozilla browser) if you want the latest version, it's best to just go to the Firefox site and download it from there. A second alternative is to look for a Puppy version of a portable Firefox. The least good method is using the Puppy package manager to get an Ubuntu version.

As for Tux paint -- I've never used it. Puppy has MTPaint already, which I use a lot. If you need something more heavy duty -- equivalent to Win programs like Photoshop, then the usual alternative here is Gimp.

I'm not a great fan of Gimp, and actually prefer old versions of some free Win programs like Photofiltre Version 7 which is available free froms sites like Oldversions. But you do have to be running Wine to use windows programs - and that's a "whole nother" subject. If you want to stick with Linux, MTPaint and Gimp are the usual in Puppyland.

ps the error message you show mentions Wayland -- that's not implemented in Puppy as far as I know, and really isn't necessary for a graphics program or Firefox for that matter, in Puppy. I'd avoid whatever that was you were attempting to download. If Firefox, just get Firefox from the sources I suggested above.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Out of curiosity I just downloaded TuxPaint into Fossapup F96-CE to see what it was. It's a kid's paint program. But it's HUGE in size, with MANY dependencies, that are not already in Puppy.

It didn't look to do much more than MTPaint does except for the interface which surrounds the active drawing screen with big understandable buttons and a simple palette of colors across the bottom of the screen. Definitely a nice kid-friendly interface, but gosh the resources it requires are huge. Too bad someone doesn't do a similar User Interface for MTPaint, it would be about 1/10th the size.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@Mahoni

You can download and install Firefox from within BionicPup 32

Applications > Internet > Get Web Browser > firefox

Then just follow the prompts

Sorry, don't know anything about Tux Paint so can't help there

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

You need to read this about installing additional software:
viewtopic.php?t=1819

:welcome: To Linux Software! :roll:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Bionic”