GTK4 in KLs

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

GTK4 in KLs

Post by Clarity »

Should the next KLs be built using the 'GTK4 base' present in official Arch and Void?

Curious, upon @wiak's returning.

geo_c

Re: GTK4 in KLs

Post by geo_c »

Clarity wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:12 pm

Should the next KLs be built using the 'GTK4 base' present in official Arch and Void?

Curious, upon @wiak's returning.

All my KL's already have GTK4 built in. Those being Spectr and Airedale. But I believe my Hyprland has it also. Those are all of course Void based. The KL's generally have GTK2, GTK3, and GTK4 available. Quite nice!

Last edited by geo_c on Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Should all of them be maintained? OR are the Wayland KLs 'locked' into needing all of them?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Clarity wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:02 pm

Should all of them be maintained? OR are the Wayland KLs 'locked' into needing all of them?

No, the Wayland systems are not locked into having all of the gtk's. We provide gtk2, gtk3, gtk4 in both KLV-Airedale and KLV-Spectr to provide the environment for existing tools and utilities borrowed from other distro's that use gtk2 and gtkdialog compiled against it. This allows use to use these programs and scripts without having to convert code in those programs and scripts.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Thanks @rockedge. Is there a way to inventory those things which are built within a Wayland KL that rely on the various GTKs? And I assume the same would be true for QTs, as well (meaning needing to keep alive a QT5 along side QT6).

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Clarity wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:02 pm

Thanks @rockedge. Is there a way to inventory those things which are built within a Wayland KL that rely on the various GTKs? And I assume the same would be true for QTs, as well (meaning needing to keep alive a QT5 along side QT6).

Not an answer to the question, but my guess is that QT5 needs to be included for probably some time, as I seem to have a lot programs that run QT5.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

geo_c wrote:

Persona Non Grata

Not in my view! When I don't see any posts from you for awhile I'm thinking the systems must be running well and as expected :thumbup:

Couldn't have gotten this far without your help.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

rockedge wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:25 pm
geo_c wrote:

Persona Non Grata

Not in my view! When I don't see any posts from you for awhile I'm thinking the systems must be running well and as expected :thumbup:

Not in my view too ! You made valuable contributions. @geo_c sort of provocation perhaps :?: I don't understand.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:25 pm
geo_c wrote:

Persona Non Grata

Not to worry! That's just one of the ways I like to crack myself up! I have an overactive sense of humor and irony.

It helps deal with the unending suffering of life.

edit: And yes, the KLVs and F96 are running like clocks, nothing to improve, in that sweet spot where I just use them, predictably, reliably, and powerfully. And I've been very busy this month, so not doing any pup work for fun at the moment. But once my taxes are filed, and things even out, I plan to play around with @Sofiya's hyprland. Until now I simply couldn't put in the time to utilize it.

Last edited by geo_c on Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:37 pm

[Not in my view too ! You made valuable contributions. @geo_c sort of provocation perhaps :?: I don't understand.

Perhaps this will explain further, or confuse you more: viewtopic.php?t=11235

Like I said, I have an overdeveloped sense of irony that goes way "under people's heads" at times.

geo_c

Return to “KL-Dev_Work”