How to go into developer mode in chromebook with bad keyboard?

mouldy

How to go into developer mode in chromebook with bad keyboard?

Post by mouldy »

I recently got hold of a Samsung Chromebook 3 for close to free. Took it apart and removed the "screw" (not an easy process on these, the whole motherboard had to come out), however it will not go into developer mode. The keyboad is bit wonky and best I can tell the F3 key (one with little circular arrow) is bad. So pressing esc-F3-power does nothing. Its not locked, I even let it create a new "google account" and I have full use of chromeos though its outdated and if I try to add any extensions, it tells me to upgrade my browser.... I did find it interesting it would create a google account with just a made up first name and no last name and no phone number or backup email. They havent allowed that for years now from regular browser. They locked me out of my old gmail account cause I refused to pony up a cell phone number. I had gotten it before such was required and only used the thing via pop3.

Anyway I tried an external keyboard and apparently that doesnt work. Any ideas? Other than wonky keyboard its a decent little laptop, even a good battery. Make a nice little puppy/dog-book. One of those "educational" ones that are built to higher standard than consumer cloudbooks. I mean eventually probably find another Samsung with busted screen or locked to some school administrator or something else that makes it scrap though have feeling replacing keyboard on one of these not for feint of heart. But I have no use for outdated chromeos or even current chromeos for that matter.

Hey thats an idea, is it possible to remap a keyboard in one of these. So I can move the F3 function to a working key? Downside of such a limited operating system, sure this isnt easy if possible at all. The top two rows of keys are hit or miss, some work, some dont. The esc and power keys do work. Bottom two rows all work.

mouldy

Re: developer mode in chromebook with bad keyboard?

Post by mouldy »

Ok, apparently you can remap some keys directly from chromeos, but not the F3 key. Maybe some workaround as I found some mention of alternate custom keyboard maps intended for foreign languages I suppose, but you add it as an extension. I mean seriously why make all this a series of workarounds?? But it is what it is. Probably not worth the time. I mean this was basically a freebie laptop that I dont need. But one does gain knowledge that might be useful later. Though I still dont understand designing things into one big gotcha scenario. Whatever happened to the "Keep It Simple Stupid" mantra? All this so called security seems more to benefit some idea of a walled garden, than actual consumer. Always going to be a workaround for a skilled hacker. This seems more to keep the consumer walled in than the hacker walled out.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

This keyboard could just have stuff lodged under the key.

Turn it upside down and shake it around to see if anything falls out.

Got a can of electronic spray air?

Spray it around and under the bad keys to see if it blows anything loose.

Check with Samsung support and see if there is any information on how to remove and install the individual keys, so you can check under them for anything blocking movement or dirt.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Next time to town I guess on the can of air. Its actually very clean so think unlikely its flotsam and jetsam under the keys, but cant hurt to try. Sure doesnt take much time. Hmm, wonder if ribbon that connects keyboard to motherboard is fairly universal and some other keyboard could be used to get it into developer mode?

The M keycap was missing when I got it. there is just a little microswitch under the keycap and then couple "leaf springs" to attach the key cap. You push the little switch without any keycap and you get an M. So thats how this keyboard works. I would assume either the switch is bad for some of keys or wiring to the switch. the keys feel normal when pushed so guessing its the wiring circuit to the key switches. The keyboard most likely is just faulty internally, doubt that many individual key switches are dirty or faulty. It was like this before I removed the motherboard to take out the security screw. Thats the heck of it, its a clean looking laptop with good screen and good motherboard. Its just locked into out of date chromeos unless I can get it into developer mode.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

LOL, some company sells new keyboard assembly, for a mere $128. That made me laugh. The bigger sucker theory. I looked on ebay, there is identical one in perfect shape for $22 shipped. OBO. So these are definitely not high value item. And unfortunately means unless you happen to find a junker freebie with good keyboard, its not worth putting money into repairing. When bottom fishing, you see quite the range from nearly perfect to one that looks like it was salvaged from a war zone after mega bombing. For the same money. Hey I sort understand, shipping means there is a bottom limit as to price asked. You cant sell something shipped price for less than it costs to ship it. But just means more landfill waste.

I suppose if one were determined could buy an identical one, use that keyboard to temporarily fix the bad one then resell good one converted to linux for a small profit. But not worth it.

wizard

Post by wizard »

How about a bluetooth or wireless keyboard or onscreen?

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

This is giving a way to do it in a running ChromeOS

Forum Global Moderator

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

wizard wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:55 pm

How about a bluetooth or wireless keyboard or onscreen?

wizard

Its usually said the three key push has to be done during boot? Its been a while since I did the Dell but think I did it during boot. Not like I am very familiar with chromeos. But also read where it could be done anytime. And yea suppose if it can be done with esc and power keys on the keyboard and somehow holding the F3 down with screen keyboard. You couldnt hit three keys onscreen at same time unless touch screen, since only one cursor.

As to wireless/bluetooth, how is that different than usb external? Yea external, least external usb didnt work. It ignored it. And online yea they were saying you cant do it with an external keyboard. No idea why not but assume its true as I sure couldnt get it to work.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

bigpup wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:09 am

This is giving a way to do it in a running ChromeOS

That is quite a procedure and sure I dont even want to know how long it took this guy to figure it out. I will have to watch it couple more times and take notes.

Now oddly, yesterday I was playing with it and somehow got to a page with little on screen toggle for developer mode. Said I was in developer mode but I couldnt do anything with it. Couldnt bring up terminal or whatever. So maybe different levels of developer mode? Been nice if this guy had went on and used it for something to show it was full function.

Oh was reading, on chromebox, since it obviously doesnt have a built in keyboard, that there is a little hole you stick a paper clip. Now that seems fairly sane way to do it. You arent accidentally going into developer mode, but you also arent dependent on a potentially non-functional keyboard. I think one of the cloudbooks did this to get into bios. Must been that little Lenovo, that was a weird one.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, followed the guys instructions and supposedly in developer mode. However when I ctr-alt-t and get crosh, then enter "shell" it just returns with another crosh prompt not a chronos one. Did learn it has android 9 emulator, thats where he first went. I didnt know it had android emulation. Dont think that Dell did. So if there is enough space on the drive, guess one could use android 9 for a while.

Watched another video about getting into developer mode. This guys says with chromebook OFF, press and hold esc-F3 and then hit power button. You will get the exclamation point screen, then hit ctl-d and it will reboot into developer mode, then ctl-alt-t for crosh and then "shell" to get chronos prompt. This make sense? I had run into people claiming you could hit esc-F3-pwr with chromebook on, guess this would just turn off chromebook and reboot it to the "!" assuming your keyboard works.

Now there is an option in settings to powerwash. Not sure if this would reboot to the "!" screen where I can ctl-d or not. Or if it just somehow powerwashes without reboot?

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I am getting an education in chromebooks. I found out not only does this have an android emulator, it also can run some linux apps. But ONLY if its in developer mode... LOL Yea you cant sideload android apps unless in chromebook developer mode and though I am in developer "channel" whatever that means, I am not considered in full developer mode. You can however download apps from Google Play Strore. I really had no idea this chromebook was new enough to support all this. I thought you had to either use chromeos or flash the bios. Course same difference if I cant get into developer mode, least the developer mode it wants. But yea apparently one could say download android Firefox from Play Store so one would have an uptodate browser that can use extensions. Alas its still only 16GB eMMC so with chromeos installed you only have half that to work with. But with android 9 and access to Play Store its not totally worthless. Just mostly worthless...... :roll:

Flash

Re: How to go into developer mode in chromebook with bad keyboard?

Post by Flash »

You can buy replacement keys for the Samsung Chromebook 3 keyboard here, so the keys, or at least their caps, must be easy to remove and replace.
From the drawing on that web page, it seems likely that the problem with the key is some shmutz between what they are calling the hinge and the cup is preventing them from making electrical contact. Many cameras use this same switch design. It's very easy to disassemble the switch and clean the contacts. I've done it many times with great success.

Chaos coordinator :?
mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Flash wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:59 pm

You can buy replacement keys for the Samsung Chromebook 3 keyboard here, so the keys, or at least their caps, must be easy to remove and replace.

The key caps arent a problem. Matter fact little square of duct tape and tiny bit cardboard in center of it, probably work fine for the missing M. Like say though if I really wanted one of these, can buy one in perfect condition for $22, the whole computer, outdated chromeos and all. So seriously putting any money into it is rather pointless. This is just a lark adventure. See what I could do. I didnt know it was so reliant on the existing keyboard to get into proper developer mode. Should work fine with an external keyboard but it doesnt for whatever reason. External keyboard is fine for everything else. On most laptops I use an external keyboard and mouse if any serious typing. There are some laptops with decent keyboard and trackpad but not lot of them. You want a small laptop with seriously nice keyboard and trackpad, look for an old Dell D430. Small screen just like modern chrome/cloud books but such a nicer quality build. Lot in common with the cloudbooks, max of 2GB RAM and has super slow little core2duo processor, think like 1.1Ghz. Still useable with Puppy or one of the Dogs, but pretty limited.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mouldy

look for an old Dell D430

Do look pretty weak , the Intel U7660 dual core has a Passmark v9 = 648. That's 30% worse than the Lenovo 100s-14ibr I just set up, and it runs out of gas quickly. Don't get me wrong, it would run Puppy OK with a little tweaking, but you'd just have to limit the number of apps or browser tabs that are open.

For the same money, here in the U.S. I'd look at one of the surplus Chromebooks with an Intel 4 core CPU & 4gb of ram. One of those would easily outperform the d430. Just make sure it can do a bios upgrade (mrchromebox.com).

For a little more money, my personal pick in the 11-12" screen size would be a Thinkpad X220. They come with Intel I5 CPU's, expandable ram and drives. They can run about anything you throw at them.

Choices, choices.

Thanks
wizard

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

So you already tried to remove the F3 key cap and see if anything is blocking proper operation of the key switch?

Forum Global Moderator

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Yea, not like I would damage a non-functioning key, didnt see anything. Like say there is more than one bad key in upper two rows. Nobody used it as a dinner plate, no crumbs or sticky substances or anything. Just a failing keyboard internally. Probably quite a testament to the technology that these can stand up to kid abuse in schools for as long as they do. This one didnt even look like it had that much use. Gosh when I was in school at one point everybody had to take a typing class. And who knew it would be as useful as it has, but we had these really clunky old manual typewriters that had years of kids pounding on them that had no interest in typing. So doubt anything has changed except the technology. Kids still going to try and pound them into the ground, out of boredom if nothing else.

They went out of their way to make this a one way only method for developer mode. Still no idea on this developer "channel" setting and what its for, but it doesnt give me chronos shell access. And been avoiding trying the power wash thing, there is option to do that from inside chromeos, no idea if it immediately does it or if it shuts down and reboots to it, maybe giving that "!" screen. If I can get to that "!" screen then sure an external keyboard would work.

I may experiment bit with play store since they gave me that google account. Really had no idea this was new enough to have android emulator on it until that video you posted. Then toss it on the pile o'computer. Its kinda an illness to collect all these junk computers. But seems such a shame to see them go to landfill or sent to some back water to be burned in an attempt to salvage any valuable metals. But the more locked down they make them, the more likely they wont have a second life. That plus all the marketing that everybody needs latest greatest new computer. And anything more than 5years old will burst into flames and immediately be overrun by hackers if they try to use it.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Well I was curious since the chromebook set up an anonymous google account for me, so went to the Play Store and installed the Kindle for Android app and Firefox 124. And Firefox let me in turn install cookie autodelete and adblock ultimate. Both apps work ok. So yea this is a workaround for an expired chromebook as long as the apps support android 9. I was bit surprised. I had tried Android x86 version android 9. The Kindle app was crashy with it. So guess its not android 9, but something the Android x86 people did or didnt do. Cause this chromebook is x86 so has to translate ARM apps too for its android emulator also.

Only thing going this route, the chromebook only has 16GB eMMC and half that is taken by chromeos. But still for a near freebie, this works.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, some more reading and ran across that the developer "channel" setting option is what allows you to add android apps from the Play Store. Not sure if thats true, but makes some kind of sense I guess.

Now I have that Dell chromebook that I did convert sometime back and it works well except for the tiny eMMC. Been reading more on that trick to replace the wifi card with an adapter to use an M.2 SSD. A few of newer cloudbooks have a bios that can see it and offer to boot from it, but most you have to install rEFInd on the eMMC along with driver for the SSD in the wifi slot. The adapters with ribbon cost significantly more. If you can manage to use one that is straight card, they are like $5. Depends how much room you have around the wifi slot. Then if you need wifi, you have to use a usb wifi dongle. But this does solve the problem of these little "netbooks" with the soldered eMMC drives that are too small. Worth it to me to gamble $5 though takes time on slow boat from China to get it. Would like to see if it works. Even having a 128GB drive would make it so much more convenient/useful.

wizard

Post by wizard »

Interesting, be sure to take pics and post back

Thanks
wizard

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

This isnt a chromebook/cloudbook, but it shows the principle of the thing and this guy takes his time, no rush-rush like some of the videos. And you see how tight space can be. Amazingly the bios in this series computers had no problem seeing and booting from SSD installed this way. No rEFInd needed. So ask yourself, are you feeling lucky today.....?

and the followup with tight quarters...

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mouldy

Good find, by coincidence I have one of those adapters ordered, but mine is nvme to sata. This type might also work for my Lenovo 100s-14ibr.

Thanks
wizard

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

mouldy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:42 pm

This isnt a chromebook/cloudbook, but it shows the principle of the thing and this guy takes his time, no rush-rush like some of the videos. And you see how tight space can be. Amazingly the bios in this series computers had no problem seeing and booting from SSD installed this way. No rEFInd needed. So ask yourself, are you feeling lucky today.....?

and the followup with tight quarters...

I got a 256gB m.2 ssd used off ebay for like $13. Honestly ones smaller than that werent much cheaper. So one of those $5 adapters got here from China today. I just now pulled the back off the Dell chromebook I converted via mrchromebox uefi bios. Currently have BookwormDog with Waydroid on it on its whopping huge 16GB eMMC.

Ok, pretty anticlimactic, pulled out the wifi card, put in and screwed down the adapter, then put the ssd into it and screwed that down. Put back on and rebooted, yes this card showed up in boot menu though nothing to boot at that point. Once in Dog, opened gparted, it had no problem creating partitions, etc and they then showed on Dog desktop. I havent installed anything on it yet, but cant see it having any problems. Now WHY they design these chromebooks and cloudbooks without some socket for an SSD is beyond me. They obviously just dont want consumers upgrading storage in them.

Oh if you choose to do this, FIRST check that your chromebook/cloudbook has an actual socketed wifi card. Some do have wifi soldered to motherboard and some like that Samsung have a unique proprietary wifi daughter card that connects to motherboard with a ribbon. These adapter would not work with either these. Also check that there is room for the adapter and the card you want to use, seriously you want the shortest card you can find, like the guy in the video. The adapter can be shortened as he also shows. I have another adapter on way to do this to my HP Stream too. It has 32GB eMMC but thats still small and IMHO, eMMC drives are not a very good option, they are sort of a high end SD card soldered to motherboard more than a hard drive or SSD. Life expectancy for them is higher than SD card but nowhere near normal storage drives. I have watched some videos of technicians to remove a bad eMMC and replace it. Yes you can replace a 16GB eMMC with 32GB or 64GB. But wow, that takes lot soldering experience and a steady hand. And lot luck too. Replacing the wifi card with adapter and SSD is lot easier and better way IMHO. I suppose you could also sacrifice one of the usb ports, remove it and run wire internally to an usb SSD adapter. Nothing is going to make one of these super fast anyway. But Dog/Puppy/Easy plus 256GB SSD goes a long way to making it usable. I would also suggest any of these mini laptops, likely have minimalist passive heat sink. You might want to reseat it with new thermal grease. Heat as always is the biggest enemy of electronics. And dont think lot of the low end computers get much love at the factory.

And if you need wifi, you will be forced to use a usb wifi adapter. They are small and cheap so other than using up one of the two usb ports, not a big deal. The internal wifi cards original to these dont tend to be anything to write home about.

I used 256GB M.2 2230 NVMe PCIe SSD and M.2 KEY A/E TO M.2 KEY-M adapter.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, must been little bored. I installed VOID linux on the new SSD. Yea even though the ssd is bit limited in speed due to using the wifi socket, its faster than the eMMC. VOID responded quite nicely. Suppose I should installed Ubuntu or something bit more of a challenge for the former chromebook.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Playing some more with the NVMe. Installed winXlite "micro11" and cinnamon MINT. Both more responsive than you would expect. More so than on the internal eMMC or external usb SSD.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Ok, added BookwormPup to the NVMe. Puppy is quite happy here. Interesting. This is chromebook celeron "Candy" board. Old slow and not well supported. Just used for couple models of chromebook apparently. However there are windows 10 drivers for it, that dont work in win11. So no sound or trackpad in micro11. Yea the win10 drivers installed, but didnt work. MINT 21.3 had trackpad and sound. but after like 5 minutes into a video, sound turned into an unpleasant squeal. Thinking ok probably faulty sound chip, I never used this chromebook with chromeos except briefly to reflash the bios. BookwormDog also had no sound. I messed a little but didnt care that much if it had sound on this laptop and wasnt successful. Now BookwormPup has sound. And I was able to watch a complete ten minute video without it doing the squeal thing. So yea, no idea why MINT did that. The linux driver obviously works.

Anyway for this particular ex-chromebook, still say BookwormPup is the best, with BookwormDog close behind, cause yea Waydroid on Dog, with Kindle app works fine..... Oh did try full Debian Bookworm and yes sound works fine on it. No sound on VOID. Sound in linux is kinda black art. Have to pray to the correct alsa god and have the correct kernel.

And of course nobody cares cause this is a Dell 3120 and likely nobody else has one. Different hardware on other brands and other generations of Dell chromebook. Easiest thing is to get a $2 universal usb sound card..... LOL and use a wireless mouse.

Interesting video on NVMe drives. See messing with some old piece of ... can be a learning experience.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mouldy

Your Dell 3120 shows it has a Intel N2840 dual core. Passmark v9=970. It's about on par with my Lenovo 100s-ibr that has the Intel N3050 dual core. Passmark v9=874. Mine is adequate, but maxes out quickly on internet video streams. Should be fun though.

My easiest Linux installs on Chromebooks has been Bookworm64 and MX Linux, both run with no issues.

Thanks
wizard

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

wizard wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:53 pm

@mouldy

Your Dell 3120 shows it has a Intel N2840 dual core. Passmark v9=970. It's about on par with my Lenovo 100s-ibr that has the Intel N3050 dual core. Passmark v9=874. Mine is adequate, but maxes out quickly on internet video streams. Should be fun though.

My easiest Linux installs on Chromebooks has been Bookworm64 and MX Linux, both run with no issues.

Thanks
wizard

It has 4GB RAM so at least it has that Its definitely no power house but I have BookwormDog on the eMMC and Waydroid has no problems with Kindle app on it. It will work as a Kindle reader like this. BookwormPup however does have sound, thats a good thing. I suspect Dog could have sound too but havent put the effort into it. And absolutely no lag surfing with Puppy or Dog. But Void, Mint, and even micro11 did ok. Least on the NVMe. That little 16GB eMMC was really a limit for doing much.

Just looking and apparently it came new for $300? Wow. Not sure why anybody would give that for it, but.... I only bought it cause some seller on ebay noticed I was watching it and offered it for $12 shipped. Ok for $12 shipped for a computer that will boot and is relatively modern..... I actually think its better made than the HP Stream I have though tthe Stream is more powerful, not by a lot though. Its 14in model and I have never opened it, but apparently it may have socketed RAM and can upgrade to 8GB. Soldered on all the 11.6 models. The bios on all but newest Streams doesnt support NVMe so to use it you need to first boot rEFInd with optional NVMe driver and set it to boot whatever is on the NVMe drive. Very happy the mrchromebox UEFI bios does support NVMe.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mouldy

$12 shipped

And I thought my Lenovo for $15 (local pickup) was a bargain. Do you have a link to the adapter you used?

Thanks
wizard

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

wizard wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:08 am

@mouldy

$12 shipped

And I thought my Lenovo for $15 (local pickup) was a bargain. Do you have a link to the adapter you used?

Thanks
wizard

Ok, the forum software is preventing me posting a link, will private message it. Ok cant even PM the link???? So think I got it emailed. Same adapter sold by several sellers on ebay or other places. Think they are extremely cheap on alibaba though might have to buy in quantity.... LOL Anyway just search for "M.2 KEY A/E TO M.2 KEY-M NVME adapter"

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mouldy

Got the link, didn't know it would be such a hassle. Did watch the video, he kind of blew it there at the end when mixed the terminology.

Thanks
wizard

Return to “Off-Topic Area”