Anydesk "portable" packages - now running as 'spot'

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Anydesk "portable" packages - now running as 'spot'

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, kiddiwinks.

Following number77's query about TeamViewer in the Beginner's section earlier today, along with my usual explanation about TV being "non-funczione" these days, and how AnyDesk has more or less replaced it as the 'defacto' Puppy remote-desktop app of choice, it struck me that I hadn't produced any up-to-date packages of Anydesk for a while.

So; I've "remedied" that. Here are some new RoxApp 'portables' of the current Anydesk 6.0.1. These have required some modifications over the earlier packages produced by both WiZard and myself.....mainly because, like so many other well-known Linux apps, it too is now insisting on running as a "normal user" ONLY. So it now runs as 'spot", instead.

-------------------------------------------

Tarballs can be found at my MEGA.nz a/c, here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/fTRRyKib#Gxpg8NuXbik3T46MhVA6Ew

.....in both 32- and 64-bit variants. These should be fine from Xenialpup upwards, due to higher requirements for some of the core components in /lib. These probably won't run with older Puppies than that; Tahrpup's a 'maybe', but I can't test that one.

It'll be fine with both of Radky's DPups; 'Stretch' is around the same vintage of dependencies/glibc, etc, as Xenialpup.

Anyway; navigate through & help yourselves to what you want. After unzipping, like all portables, they'll run from anywhere. Just click to launch.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

tosim

Re: Anydesk "portable" packages - now running as 'spot'

Post by tosim »

Thanks for the update.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

tosim wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:43 pm Thanks for the update.
You're very welcome, tosim. Hope you find it useful.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

For anyone who's discovered the Anydesk-portable64 tarball does, in fact, contain the 32-bit version.....I whole-heartedly apologise. Thanks to info from mikeslr (Cheers, Mike!), the correct one is now in its place.

Sorry about that.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, all.

The 64-bit RoxApp 'portable' is now updated to v6.1.1. You can find this new release at the Drive - URL as in post #1.

The 32-bit is still sitting at v6.0.1.....and apparently hasn't been updated for several months. I can only say; "Draw your own conclusions..."

Hope these are still useful!

Mike. ;)

wizard

Post by wizard »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for v6.1.1.

fyi, Just tried in bionic64 8.0 and it wouldn't run till I installed libminizip1_1.1-8build1_amd64.deb

wiz

Big pile of OLD computers

Grogster

Post by Grogster »

Can't make this do anything at all under Bionic64(2020).
Do I need a more updated Bionic64?

I have attached an image.

Files all seem to be there, folder called AnyDesk, which Puppy sees as an "App", but clicking on the red AnyDesk folder icon, or the icon inside the folder, results in nothing happening. Nothing opens on the screen, so I can't do anything with it.

Any pointers?

Bear in mind I am a Windoze user by default, but I am using more and more Linux distro's for things, but I am still very much a newbie for some things like this when it won't "Just run".

Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (115.04 KiB) Viewed 3442 times
xenial

Post by xenial »

hello,
Just a shot in the dark.
Right click the app icon and select permissions and select make executable and then confirm.

Sorry if this does not help but worth a shot.

Right click and run in terminal may provide some useful info.
You also may have missing dependencies so right click and choose "listDD."

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Grogster :-

Um; that's NOT the current, up-to-date build. It looks like you've somehow got hold of a much older package.....or even the elderly 32-bit version?

The current 64-bit package should be found here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/LWJWSRxC#EvFMtvQHf6UBR8FdxmcL-A

(My bad; That IS the older package, because I'd forgotten to update the first post with the new location at MEGA.nz. Ignore the package you've got, and re-download from the above URL.)

It's now a "ROX-app", so when you unpack it, just click on the package and it should launch. Wizard's right, too; I'd forgotten about the need for libminizip in Bionic64, so I've attached a .pet for that to this post. Install that first, then see if Anydesk will fire-up.

Let us know what happens, please!

Mike. ;)

Attachments
libminizip1-amd64.pet
libminizip for Bionicpup64...
(19.28 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

Grogster

Post by Grogster »

Wow - I continue to be in awe of this forum, cos of it's acceptance of newbies like me. Much love for not just telling me to FO or go RTFM.
LOTS of forums for various Linux distros DO do that to newbies, but as newbies, we need to learn, and those forums drive people away from Linux.
I am learning so much by just being here as you are so welcoming to newbies. :thumbup2:

Thanks so much for your willingness to welcome and work with someone whose default is Windoze....
I will CERTAINLY post back here with results. Almost tempted to try it after a few glasses of wine, but that might not be a good idea.... :P

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Grogster :-

Well, you're hardly a newbie to Puppy anymore. You've been with us since 2017, so I think you know your way around the community by now. I see your last posts on the old Murga Forum were also about AnyDesk on Bionicpup64, weren't they?

http://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopi ... 0#p1059040

.....shortly before the old Forum went down due to JM's passing. (AFAICT, he'd already been dead for 5 days at that point, and none of us knew it...)

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Mike, at least on my fossapup64 libminizip was also needed. So I unpacked the pet you provided and dropped the libminizip.so.1.0.0 and it symlink into the extralibs folder in the portable. Anydesk started up.

Grogster

Post by Grogster »

Crikey. I don't remember those posts at all! Been away from the forums for so long, I did not remember.... :P

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

mikeslr wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:19 pm

Mike, at least on my fossapup64 libminizip was also needed. So I unpacked the pet you provided and dropped the libminizip.so.1.0.0 and it symlink into the extralibs folder in the portable. Anydesk started up.

Ah, OK. I may well do that with the ROX-app; should make things more straight-forward.

Cheers. :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

New build uploaded - now @ v6.2.0.

Still in ROX-App format, and now with libminizip included in the internal "extralibs" directory.

Hope it's useful. Link as in post #1.

Mike. ;)

Pikaxhu

Post by Pikaxhu »

Hi Mike

Thanks for your update. Where is the 32 bits version? mega link has 64 bits one.

Regards

Pika

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Pikaxhu wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:04 am

Hi Mike

Thanks for your update. Where is the 32 bits version? mega link has 64 bits one.

Regards

Pika

@Pikaxhu :-

I've had the 32-bit version here in my archives for a while. I didn't upload it, because like so much software nowadays, Anydesk have stopped development on the 32-bit version. The 64-bitzer is currently at v6.2.0.....development of the 32-bit version stopped at v6.0.1. And that was nearly 2 years ago.

The 32-bit version does still run, although whether it'll connect to newer versions I can't say. I've now uploaded this older version, so you're welcome to try it. Up to you.

Tested and definitely running in Xenialpup 7.5. Link can be found in post #1. Navigate through and help yourself to the one you want.

Mike. ;)

step

Post by step »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:16 am

The 32-bit version does still run, although whether it'll connect to newer versions I can't say. I've now uploaded this older version, so you're welcome to try it. Up to you.

Thanks Mike but where is the 32-bit tarball? I can't find it alongside the 64-bit one linked in the first post.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@step :-

Whoops, my bad! The original link took you straight into the 64-bit directory. :oops:

I've now updated the link, so you'll see a '64-bit' directory, and also one for 'Legacy 32-bit - v6.0.1'. Sorry 'bout that!

They're packed as ROX-Apps, so once you've unzipped it and put it where you want it, a click on the directory will fire it straight up. Hope it's useful.

Mike. ;)

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh

Hey Mike, can the 6.2 version be made into a .pet? Any space savings?

Thanks
wizard

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@wizard :-

Um; no, not really. It's easy enough to do, though, cos I did just that for somebody else a while back.

All I did was stick the entire AnyDesk portable directory in /opt; re-named the AppRun script back to 'LAUNCH'; added a sym-link into /usr/bin; removed the MenuAdd/Remove scripts, then used the included .desktop entry - lightly modified - along with icon, and packed the whole thing as a .pet.

Portables are kinda handy like that; very easy to convert to either .pet OR SFS.

Even you could do that! :lol: :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@wizard :-

.....ya mean like this?

https://mega.nz/file/HfYQ1bKC#Cqf-UdBjv ... tY-wbfU-so

Tested in Fossapup64 - running here with

Code: Select all

pfix=ram

....ATM, so I could test it for you.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It'll probably work elsewhere, but I just can't be bothered with extensive testing tonight..! :oops: :D

Mike. ;)

wizard

Post by wizard »

@mikewalsh

Yep, just like that and thanks for the conversion instructions. Will use those in the future.

wizard

Ramachandra Iyer

Post by Ramachandra Iyer »

I have installed Anydesk 6,2 pet in easyos. However, having some dependency problem as shown below

opt/anydesk/anydesk: error while loading shared libraries: libpolkit-gobject-1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

How to make it working in easyos?.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Ramachandra Iyer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:31 am

I have installed Anydesk 6,2 pet in easyos. However, having some dependency problem as shown below

opt/anydesk/anydesk: error while loading shared libraries: libpolkit-gobject-1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Unfortunately, I don't know the first thing about EasyOS. Barry has structured much of it in ways I don't understand.....and from what I DO understand, .pets have to be specifically built for Easy. 'Generic' .pets like this probably won't work.

In a Puppy, it would work. In EasyOS? It's anybody's guess....

Mike. :|

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Ramachandra Iyer wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:31 am

Although its best --and most likely to succeed-- if libraries are compiled specifically under and for the operating system, often what makes libraries having the same name but used in more than one operating system different is how they are packaged. Packaging enables an operating system to know how to install a library in the right location.
Not infrequently, however, when a required library is not available for your operating system, you MAY be able to make use of a library packaged for a different operating system by downloading it, extracting it, and manually copying the required library to the location your operating system expects to find libraries: e.g. /lib, /usr/lib/, /usr/local/lib, /usr/lib64. [Sometimes location doesn't matter, or matters only if they're identically named but structurally different and one has to have priority. Puppys --and EasyOS-- will look in all common locations].

Before continuing, however, I suggest that you install LIstDD into EasyOS if not already present. I also recommend UExtract. The latter is a utility able to extract almost all packages. The former enables you to examine a binary and determine if your operating system lacks required libraries. You'll find those applications on the Additional Software Forum, Utilities SubForum. They are 'no-arch' --essentially bash-scripts-- and EasyOS is sufficiently like Puppys that IIRC they will function.

We know that your system lacks libpolkit-gobject-1.so.0. ListDD will tell you if any others are missing. Might as well search for all missing libraries at the same time.

Plug the name of the missing library into the Search box at the top of https://pkgs.org/ dropping anything following libpolkit-gobject-1. The ".so.0" is too specific and may no longer be available while newer version --e.g. 'so.0.1'-- may be.

pkgs.org will produce a list of all Linux operating system having libraries with that name. Select a Linux reasonably contemporary with EasyOS. FYI, I've used Fossapup64 applications in EasyOS and EasyOS Osmo in several recent Puppys. Follow the links pkgs.org provides to the download location on some Linux's repository and download the library from there.
UExtract the package and copy the required file into a location where EasyOS expects to find libraries.
You may have to create a symlink. For example, Anydesk needs libpolkit-gobject-1.so.0. But the file you download may be named libpolkit-gobject-1.so.0.32. In such case, to create a symbolic link you would open a terminal in the folder you've placed libpolkit-gobject-1.so.0.32 and type the command:
ln -s libpolkit-gobject-1.so.0.32 libpolkit-gobject-1.so.0
Translation "ln -s" [link sysmbolic] name of file-you-have name of file-you-need.

After each such 'install' restart-x and re-run ListDD.

Be warned the procedure can be time-consuming and DOESN'T ALWAYS result in a functional application. Sometimes you'll discover dependencies you can't find. And sometimes it's not just a packaging problem: the library from an 'alien' distro although bearing an appropriate name may be so different that it requires other libraries not only unique to that distro but incompatible with other distros.

Ramachandra Iyer

Post by Ramachandra Iyer »

Thank you for your inputs. I will check once again and let you know the status on Tuesday. No office for 3 days. It was installed on office HP Laptop having normal HD.

In the meantime, you may please note that I have also installed YASSM fossapup 4.5 pet on same Office HP Laptop and working fine !!!.

boof

Post by boof »

help. upupbb32-19.03 Need Anydesk32-6.2.0 as a pet, pls.
installed 64bit pet after I read somewhere the 32 bit was included, but it's not working.

cj147

Post by cj147 »

Hi,

I've tried all mega download links (should all be the same right?) to download the 64-bit anydesk version for xenialpup64 7.5, but I always get an "aborted" message when I run the anydesk script or binary.

What could be the problem? Do I need to get the Linux 64-bit binary version from Anydesk that is compatible, as mentioned in a previous post?

Ended up just using the pre-v6 versions that can run as root.

Last edited by cj147 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
geo_c

Post by geo_c »

I used an install of anydesk for awhile, not the portable. I once tried zooming with anydesk to display the camera from one computer to the other in a zoom meeting as an experiment. It kind of worked from what I remember, but my computer running zoom overheated and shut down!

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Return to “Network”