Highway Code

stemsee

Highway Code

Post by stemsee »

Routing software is very interesting. I have no clue how the code works out routes from A to B. Nor how the code extrudes the data into a graphic representation. But it is more than a coincidence that the software code is dependent upon the Highway Code.

So it was with dismay that I read an entry in the highway code of the second largest country by population in Asia which stipulates "even if you have road priority, you must slow down and even stop in order to give way to any vehicle which tries to pass in front of your vehicle!". There are no notes which mention safety considerations, or the physics of inertia and the dynamics of momentum. On considering the implications of this rule I reached a logical conclusion that this rule negates all the other existing rules in that highway code. One example I thought out was if driving on the freeway/highway supposing you occupy the right most lane, you are driving at 80km/h , behind you is a fully laden articulated heavy goods vehicle, and two lanes over to the left is a black suv. The driver of the black suv needs the next right exit, but failed to position their vehicle in a timely manner. However because of this cede-priority rule, they simply swerve across the three lanes forcing drivers in those lanes to perform an emergency stop, with the result that your vehicle, with you and your children in the back are rear ended by the 48 tonne hgv, causing death and massive injuries! The black suv in fact has priority and the right of way legally. So the rule condemns everyone else to death. I can only think of a couple of reasons why a government would make such a rule .... 1) to support get-away-drivers. 2) to allow those who know the rule impunity for their own reckless/dangerous driving.

What are your thoughts?

Flash

Re: Highway Code

Post by Flash »

Perhaps you misunderstood the rule. Tell us the name of the country so we can read the book for ourselves.

Chaos coordinator :?
stemsee

Post by stemsee »

The second largest country by population in Asia is China.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I think the rule for right-side road driving is the same Highway Rule as routers. ... no matter the country. FIFO unless otherwise stated.

Grey

Post by Grey »

The second largest country by population in Asia is China.

Not only in Asia, but in the World. In addition, Hong Kong and Macau are not taken into account when calculating. The disputed territories of India are counted. For political reasons. It's too early to talk about Taiwan. But in general, China is equal to India in terms of population. But officially, yes, the second place ;) And China's place is still the first on the list of the English Wiki :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Off-Topic Area”