Commentators changing the topic title within a thread

Ideas and discussion

amethyst

Commentators changing the topic title within a thread

Post by amethyst »

Why is this allowed? Another poster on the thread replies and changes the topic name of his post to something else (not the topic name of the thread). In many cases this reply with its own topic name has absolutely nothing to do with the actual thread.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Commentators changing the topic title within a thread

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst I do not know what topic you are referencing. I have not changed any titles or text and need some guidance to check the example.

williwaw

specific subjectx

Post by williwaw »

test

Last edited by williwaw on Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:54 pm

@amethyst I do not know what topic you are referencing. I have not changed any titles or text and need some guidance to check the example.

In general but look at this one as an example, totally unacceptable.viewtopic.php?p=113816#p113816

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst This wasn't done by any moderator.

It seems the title of the reply post was altered by the poster responding to the topic. I don't like it happening, seems like hi-jacking the topic to me.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

amethyst wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:57 pm
rockedge wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:54 pm

In general but look at this one as an example, totally unacceptable.viewtopic.php?p=113816#p113816

It's very off-topic, not only the title but the content too, I agree.
Having the ability to change the subject title as user is good IMO, e.g. if you want to reply on a related thing (or more detailed) about the topic subject and make that visible (and others can reply on that specific title, edit: and can be searched easily).

Off-topic posting does regularly happen btw, also without changing subject title, of course moderators can always jump in then .

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

That particular member seems to have a habit of jumping in...the best I could determine was that it was intended for Amethyst, but
on a different matter, something to do with Opera Mini. I replied with a link to a post offering a download of Opera Mini. They have
also posted in various other topics requesting an ISO be uploaded just for them...most of those requests seem to be ignored.
Wiz

Signature available upon request

wizard

Post by wizard »

I'm guilty of this, but not as a commentator, was using it as a way to highlight an issue that would apply to the topic. :oops: Will discontinue.

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

Flash

Post by Flash »

It looks to me like ljlj thought he was posting in another topic. If the topic he meant to post in can be determined, the two posts can be moved to that topic. I can't imagine how @Wiz57 saw this post to reply to it.

Chaos coordinator :?
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Here another example: viewtopic.php?t=10141
The commentator changed the subject 2 times, probably in good faith, but it has a nasty effect. On the board index page, which may be the start page for most users, the subject appears on the right side and can be confused with a new topic. If in response to such altered subject post the subject is not reset to the original topic (which I did) the response subject would then be prepended with a "Re:", making the post even more look like a different topic.

AFAIK topic and subject are 2 different objects for the BB software. Subject can be changed by commentators, topic can not. I can't think of a proper solution other than appealing to users not to change the subject without good reason.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I, too, have done something similar, but my responses were directly/indirectly related. None of this, in my years here by any member seem to attempt hijacking; nor, IMHO, attempting to derail.

I will pay more attention in the future for some methods to continue a flow while maintaining the content and direction of the Opening Post's contents.

If I have done such in the past on the forum and the OP of the thread is offended, I NOW issue an apology.

Yes, too, as someone has already mentioned, a post's title makes its searchable.

Best to continue to operate in a manner "not to offend".

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Flash wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:41 am

It looks to me like ljlj thought he was posting in another topic. If the topic he meant to post in can be determined, the two posts can be moved to that topic. I can't imagine how @Wiz57 saw this post to reply to it.

I searched for the topic "Opera Mini Downloader", but couldn't find it. The name of the topic itself doesn't change, just that reply to it, so the topic is still listed under original name.

Signature available upon request

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Wiz57 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:43 am
Flash wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:41 am

I searched for the topic "Opera Mini Downloader", but couldn't find it. The name of the topic itself doesn't change, just that reply to it, so the topic is still listed under original name.

I do my forum searches directly from google, this has always worked best for me. So you search: puppy linux forum + whatever you are searching for. Fast and good results.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst

That is what https://psearch.puppylinux.com is! A customized Google search to narrow down the searches to this forum and the oldforum

Screenshot_2024-03-15_20-37-03.jpg
Screenshot_2024-03-15_20-37-03.jpg (13.89 KiB) Viewed 194 times
Grey

Post by Grey »

I have electricity and water again. That's why I'm in a good mood again.

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:26 pm

It means the thread title becomes permanently changed for those who want to reply in future, and makes it much harder to find.

But Mike's words got me fired up: viewtopic.php?p=114978#p114978 Let's find out anyway. So, what does change when you change the title of one post? The title of the entire topic(thread) changes, or just the title of one post, which is visible on the Main Page of the forum for a while (because the post is the last one).

Are the moderators going to figure out how it all works, or will they just judge as they please?

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”