5.15.155 64bit Overlayfs-Only Kernel NON-USRMERGE

Moderator: Forum moderators

ozsouth

5.15.155 64bit Overlayfs-Only Kernel NON-USRMERGE

Post by ozsouth »

I made a 64bit 5.15.155 OVERLAYFS-ONLY 2018-KIT Kernel. Is NON-USRMERGE.
Will NOT work with Aufs. Will NOT work with usrmerge Pups like Jammypup/Bookworm Pup,
UNLESS these kernel-modules & kernel_sources (& non-usrmerge fdrvs) are run through a converter like this one:
viewtopic.php?p=116744#p116744.
Pre-Aug2022 pups need special initrd.gz. I made this kernel as some folk have trouble with 6.x kernels.
I used 2018 Kernel-Kit Master, with only my essential-for-operation fixes, with Aufs stripped out. Use at own risk.
No firmware - needs fdrv - see below.

Recent Puppies (i.e. S15Pup64-22.12+1 on) have a kernel line parameter option: punionfs=overlay .
Is advisable to use this, but if punionfs is absent, S15Pup64 will use overlayfs, having detected this kernel.
Note you CANNOT use an Aufs-created savefile with this kernel. Must create a separate one.

Used gcc 11.2.0 & glibc-2.33. Has older ntfs-3g, Blake2 & vmd builtin. Standard voluntary preemption set.
Is mostly Spectre/Meltdown mitigated (needs microcode too - see viewtopic.php?p=9658#p9658).
Is TCP_SACK mitigated. Tested OK in S15Pup64-22.12-ovrly5 using punionfs=overlay .

wl & rtl8821ce drivers in forum Drivers section. Has b43 & some mediatek drivers - firmware in fdrv below.

Once downloaded, expand in an empty folder with tar -jxvf, & rename kernel-modules.sfs-5.15.155-64oz-ov to zdrv ...
(same as one to be replaced) & rename vmlinuz-5.15.155-64oz-ov to vmlinuz & then substitute for originals.
Must rename any fdrv used to fdrv ... (same as one to be replaced).
Important Note: when switching kernels, if you have an ...initmodules.txt file (i.e. fossapup64initmodules.txt or similar)
must delete it before first boot into new kernel. Otherwise it may try to load modules that don't exist, causing failure.

NOTE1: sfs-loading on-the-fly (as in most pups) MAY NOT WORK. WOOFCE Pups from October 2023 should, but
view only does & in that case loading sfs to be done on boot.

NOTE2: For compiling - if sfs can be viewed but not loaded under overlayfs in desired Pup, devx & sources must be
named as letter drvs & then reboot. (i.e. rename current adrv & ydrv; then devx as adrv; sources as ydrv).
DO NOT DO THIS if you have a savefile/savefolder - make a separate install for compiling purposes to avoid corruption.
Note: devx, if installed in pupmode 5 (no savefile/savefolder) will not allow compiling to succeed.

kernel here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/k2euf10y ... r.bz2/file

sources here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/rjas9twp ... v.sfs/file

headers here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/1aw9nm3p ... 4.sfs/file

Feb2024 fdrv here (59mb): https://www.mediafire.com/file/f6xib03a ... z.sfs/file

Jasper

Re: 5.15.155 64bit Overlayfs-Only Kernel NON-USRMERGE

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

Thanks for this :thumbup:

Just to feedback, the tool/script to convert non-usrmege to usrmerge works well.

Had to remove my savefile (aufs) to ensure that the filesystem booted up clean.

Had hoped that my wifi driver was available in the kernel so it connect. Unfortunately not.

Not to worry, I was only testing and will stick with my current setup (Jammypup64).

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Jasper - unfortunately, the rtl & wl wifi drivers are extras to 5.x kernels. They are both .pets in the forum Drivers section though.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@ozsouth

Not to worry, this was really just a test.

I have used AUFS all this time and I guess become to complacent.

Still having some issues re:dropping connection but am using PeasyWifi instead of Conman to see if that helps.

Return to “Kernels”