Perplexity AI_An AI Search Engine

Moderator: Forum moderators

Labrona

Perplexity AI_An AI Search Engine

Post by Labrona »

Perplexity ai is a new way to navigate internet.
https://www.perplexity.ai/
It's best to let Perplexity ai introduce itself :

Perplexity AI is a startup in the field of artificial intelligence that offers a research platform combining a search engine and a conversational agent. Founded in August 2022, it aims to provide users with accurate and up-to-date answers to questions posed in natural language. The platform uses advanced technologies like natural language processing and machine learning to deliver precise responses sourced from various sources on the web1
. Perplexity AI's goal is to reduce uncertainty and provide clear and accurate answers to users, distinguishing itself as a "moteur de réponse" (answer engine) rather than just a search engine1
. The company has received significant funding, with plans to expand its workforce and enhance its capabilities.

A french Youtuber has posted a video about it, saying it is the best ai to navigate internet, and after some web searches with it, i am starting to liking it. Information is well organised on the page.

Chelsea80

Re: Perplexity AI_An AI Search Engine

Post by Chelsea80 »

@Labrona

Perplexity is an interesting site -

Now the question is: are you he or just a fan of his work? -

Labrona.png
Labrona.png (73.16 KiB) Viewed 298 times

Just wondering -

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
USB Stick 2GB

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I guess this is the future.

I do wonder why I need to register and make a sign in account at all. :thumbdown: :?

It seems to only offer basic search if you do not make a sign in account. :thumbdown:

Tried to see what the pro version was all about.
Click on learn more and it goes to me having to register to see any info. :roll: :thumbdown:

this seems to be more than a web search engine.

Not exactly sure what it really is :?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

step

Post by step »

bigpup wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:44 pm

I do wonder why I need to register and make a sign in account at all. :thumbdown: :?

To save your searches under your handle. (freebie)

It seems to only offer basic search if you do not make a sign in account. :thumbdown:

What is "basic search" for you? It really isn't a search engine the likes of google, where all internet pages are regularly indexed. It's a large language model specialized for internet search. What that means is that you can ask a question about something you're searching, and enter further questions about the same subject. It becomes a conversation.

this seems to be more than a web search engine.

Indeed. However, as most (all?) large language models, it suffers from hallucinations. Be careful not to blindly trust the answers you get, especially if you know nothing about the subject you asked.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

step wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:03 pm

Indeed. However, as most (all?) large language models, it suffers from hallucinations. Be careful not to blindly trust the answers you get, especially if you know nothing about the subject you asked.

:thumbup:

On the other hand, it may be a good place to start looking into something you know nothing or little about, bearing in mind that later --when you think you know something like essential terms-- due diligence demands searches via other means to free you from whatever restraining algorithms 'an idiot operating at the speed of light' may hold dear.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”