Avast fined $16.5 million for ‘privacy’ software that actually sold users’ browsing data

For discussions about security.
Jasper

Avast fined $16.5 million for ‘privacy’ software that actually sold users’ browsing data

Post by Jasper »

For years, the antivirus software company harvested information from users’ web browsers without their consent.

Avast, the cybersecurity software company, is facing a $16.5 million fine after it was caught storing and selling customer information without their consent. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) announced the fine on Thursday and said that it’s banning Avast from selling user data for advertising purposes.

Source:
https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/22/2408 ... harvesting

bigpup

Re: Avast fined $16.5 million for ‘privacy’ software that actually sold users’ browsing data

Post by bigpup »

I wonder what other programs are doing the same thing, but have not been caught by The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)?

Example from Firefox browser settings:

Firefox Data Collection and Use
We strive to provide you with choices and collect only what we need to provide and improve Firefox for everyone. We always ask permission before receiving personal information. Privacy Notice

1.Allow Firefox to send technical and interaction data to Mozilla

2.Allow Firefox to make personalized extension recommendations

3.Allow Firefox to install and run studies
View Firefox studies

4.Allow Firefox to send backlogged crash reports on your behalf Learn more

These settings seem to always be set, to let them do it, when you first install their browser.
Sure seems like possible information, that could be used the same way, to sale as personal info.

I really wonder if UN-selecting any of these settings, really stops them from being done :?: :!: :roll:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Security”