dual monitor, how to display workspace 2 in a new monitor?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

gychang

dual monitor, how to display workspace 2 in a new monitor?

Post by gychang »

I hooked up an old monitor I wasn't using in FP65-CE4 setup. With xrandr and arandr I am able to view the new monitor as an extension of a single workspace (WS). I usually work with 6 virtualscreen/workspaces. Is it possible to display even WS in new monitor (2,4,6) and odd WS in the old monitor?

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

geo_c

Re: dual monitor, how to display workspace 2 in a new monitor?

Post by geo_c »

I just setup a second monitor at home. I have a dual monitor at work also. I don't have the answer for F96 at the moment, but I've been working with dual monitors in KLV-spectrwm the last couple days: viewtopic.php?p=112415#p112415

So I'll be booting up F96 and seeing what kind of results I can get soon, and maybe I can come back with some answers. I really like using the dual montior to view windows on different workspaces. It's a powerfully productive setup.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I am about to set up a dual monitor arrangement and will test in both F96-CE_4 and KLV-Spectr and will report on how it goes.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:39 pm

I am about to set up a dual monitor arrangement and will test in both F96-CE_4 and KLV-Spectr and will report on how it goes.

I booted up F96 earlier today and configured 8 workspaces. I don't know if I can figure out the multiple workspace display. or not. But I'll be working on it.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

So from the bit of reading I've done in the past 30 minutes, it's apparent that assigning different workspaces to differnet monitors isn't supported in Xfce at least as late as 2022. But I haven't found anything explicitly stating that JWM doesn't support it. But info is pretty scant on it.

So the default behavior of Spectrwm isn't that common apparently.

The Xfce posts I've read all say it's unsupported, and the work around is to simply open a window on the specified monitor and make it sticky, so that as workspaces are switched the window will be visible on that monitor at all times, giving the illusion of a separate workspace.

Of course the same can be done with JWM. More or less a similar functionality, but not quite as versatile as how windows can be opened on multiple workspaces and switched on a specified monitor with window managers that support it. The tiling window managers seem to be geared toward this sort of thing.

I'll keep looking though.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

After reading these links I'm not seeing any simple or elegant solutions in there. It seems Spectrwm is the easiest way to have multiple monitors displaying different workspaces simultaneously OOTB. Some of the other tiling window managers like bspwm and awesome appear to be capable also, but I'm not sure if they are configured this way OOTB or not.

geo_c

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

perhaps a set-up best left for implementation with wayland?

gychang

Post by gychang »

quick overview of my attempt at dual monitor with F96-CE4.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

gychang wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:50 pm

quick overview of my attempt at dual monitor with F96-CE4.

Yes, F96 will do a dual monitor with the both monitors being on the same workspace just fine. It looks like it takes jumping through hoops to get different workspaces on each montior though.

What I do to get my dual monitor layout on boot, is after running Arandr and saving the layout, I just symlink that script to /root/Startup.

F96 with dual monitors and cortile is nice. I'm pretty spoiled by KLV-sqectrwm though, lot's of configured keystroke control and monitors on their own workspaces by default, no configuration needed.

Also spectrwm can be configured to open applictions on specific workspaces with specific tiling options, and that's nice also.

geo_c

Return to “Users”