KLV-Airedale-sr10 with the Void Linux Kernel 6.7.4_1

Post by rockedge »

KLV-Airedale-sr10
Kennel Linux Void Airedale Stable Release 10 849 MiB download size
KLV-Airedale-sr10
SHA1-MD5.txt
Download from SOURCEFORGE

This is Stable Release version 10

Added Cortile 2.3.3 for a dynamic tiling wm layered on top of XFCE4.

From sr8 ->
Added Grub2config adapted for KLV usage borrowed from Puppy Linux to be able to install a grub2 boot loader on a drive partition easily.
With both Grub4Dos and Grub2config together, setting up a boot-able virtual machine frugal installation can be done in the RAM0 mode.
with a complete system update/upgrade and outfitted with a Void Linux kernel 6.7.4_1 on 02/11/2024
cpupower has been added. Audio is now using pipewire.

The wd_utils are updated to the latest versions supplied by @wiak, and @fredx181 has fixed a bug in the save2flash script.

Has Firefox 120.0.1 built in for a web browser.

Features full SAMBA support and managed by a modified for KLV Samba Simple Management GUI script, borrowed from F96-CE_4.

This version is equipped with 01firmware-6.6.0.sfs created with the woof-CE Kernel-Kit during the kernel build.

The team fine tuned login/logout with a long term solution utilizing the Void Linux service manager runit to fix a conflict after upgrades to the runit-void package added a service directory agetty-tty1 that conflicts with KLV's custom agetty-autologin-tty1 during logout/login causing difficulty in changing user. Adding a file called : /etc/sv/agetty-tty1/down instructs runit to disable the service which is persistent across reboots.

The initrd.gz and w_init are upgraded to version 7.0.1-rc1 which are constructed from the latest FirstRib skeleton-initrd.

Added the symlink gtk2dialog that targets the binary gtkdialog-8.5 which is compiled against GTK2 which gives access to either gtk2 or gtk3.

@fredx181 has repaired a bug in save2flash and modified swapper.sh to adapt for the /mnt/home device showing directly in Thunar and on the desktop. swapper.sh activates any swap partitions available to KLV-Airedale during system start.

From a suggestion by @wiak added in a modification to w_init that will display icons for /mnt/home partition in Thunar and on the desktop.

New and improved tuning of the /boot directory boot stanza's. improving the reliability of booting in QEMU, Ventoy and S2SG.

Improved and rebuilt initrd.qz including expanded support for SD cards.

Routine system update/upgrade. And wallpapers from @Sofiya are included, replacing some of the stock xfce4 backgrounds.

@wiak has again done more work improving the boot system menus and further improvement to the initrd.gz boot mechanisms :

The iso config file boot/grub/menu.lst is used to boot from cdrom using that internal to ISO provided menu.lst (i.e. he currently uses grub4dos for that purpose).
The ISO config file boot/grub/loopback.cfg is used (per usual) to provide the boot menu for SG2D
The ISO config file boot/grub/grub.cfg is used by Ventoy (but included no Ventoy compatible entries until my alterations below)

I have made some modifications to all of the above (though have left previous entries in place for later experimentation and possible modification or deletion).
In particular I have provided the ability when booting via SG2D or Ventoy of using the FR modes:

a. RAM0 for session changes in RAM only (i.e. no save persistence)
b. RAM2 save on demand mode back to upper_changes folder (or ucimg savefile) in same directory iso is stored (or in subdirectory if symlink manually made to iso).
c. RAM2 save on demand mode back to upper_changes folder in, Clarity suggested, partition with LABEL 'Persistence' and directory 'Sessions'
d. Direct save (not in RAM) back to upper_changes folder (or ucimg savefile) in same directory iso is stored (or in subdirectory if symlink manually made to iso).
e. Direct save (not in RAM) back to upper_changes folder in, Clarity suggested, partition with LABEL 'Persistence' and directory 'Sessions'

No editing of the presented SG2D or Ventoy boot menus will be required to achieve these most useful FR initrd modes. User just needs to put the KLV iso in BOOTISOS (or wherever it is put usually) and boot...

starting of the pulseaudio system for any user that is logged in has been fixed and improved. Thanks wiak, Sofiya and fredx181 for the exact steps.

Upgraded to a new version of @fredx181's save2flash, and set LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in /etc/environment as default localization.

Thanks to @Sofiya for the poorercputemp and Display Control packages that also have been added to desktop.

• Grub2config is now included in the System menu. For setting up a boot-able device using gparted and grub2config.

• Grub4Dos is also in the menu. Making KLV-Airedale also capable of setting up a boot-able device using gparted and grub4dosconfig.

• CUPS starting as a service has been added and is working thanks to @rcrsn51 spotting missing components!

KLV-Airedale-sr8 is just as at home on FAT32, NTFS partitions as it is running from ext2/3/4 formatted partitions.

Also included is wiak's generate a set of boot stanzas script. fredx181's mksplash has a menu entry and the remaster script is installed.

With the addition of a xfce4 desktop tiling configuration. A tip from wiak for configuring Tiling windows done with the Super (Windows) key and an up, down, left, right, home, pgup, pgdown or end key.

gxmessage in the default rootfs.

save2flash has been expanded to handle persistence on FAT32 and NTFS partitions.
The mksplash GUI utility to create splash notification banners.

The latest initrd.gz brings vFat and NTFS formatted partition support to KLV, allowing persistence on NTFS/vFat systems as well as the usual /ext2/ext3/ext4/swap support.

• included htop, Grub2config, Grub4Dos, CUPS

• created a symlink /root/spot with the target /home/spot

• Auto login cleaned up.

• includes also the logout logic provided by fredx181 gives true mulit-user support.

• replaced loop.cfg to the most recent modifications.

• Debian kernel 6.0.0-3-KLV SMP PREEMPT DYNAMIC is used.

• added gtkhash

Plus the other important improvements contributed by the KLV team.

Added @fredx181's save2flash utility that can be used when KLV is started in RAM2 mode to perform session saves on demand for persistence.
This is similar to PUPMODE13 in Puppy Linux.

fredx181's swap partition enable script includes the latest revisions, and also added are the packages

• mime-add-1.0_0.noarch.xbps

• edit-sfs-1.0_0.noarch.xbps

KLV-Airedale-sr8 is able to load squash SFS packages on the fly or during the boot sequence.
Squash files and ISO images can be opened from the file manager and the read the contents.

• can run with rootfs, 01fimware and 00module SFS files as uncompressed directories.

• Also able to load compressed and/or decompressed directories,
    once a 2 digit prefix is added to the file name.

• It is possible to mix using compressed squash files and uncompressed directories.

Also can be downloaded from https://rockedge.org/kernels in ISO->Kennel_Linux->Airedale

Clarity

Re: KLV-Airedale-sr10 with the Void Linux Kernel 6.7.4_1

Post by Clarity »

Hello @rockedge
On bare-metal via boot launchers launching the vSR10 ISO file

• It boot directlys to desktop from Ventoy v1.0.97 in ventoy's GRUB mode.

• It also boots to desktop via SG2D with NO issues. It operates without hiccups, rapidly.

I will test again, later on another of the test PCs and report bootings. As well,too, I will test in KVM VMs.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

KLV-Airedale-sr10 clean install
notification
After a complete system update it fails. 88 packages
logs into the console

without file (08KLV-airedale-Settings-rc2.sfs)

Vanilla Dpup 9.2.X - KLV-Airedale - KLA-OT2
PUPPY LINUX Simple fast free

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya I saw some strange things happen during some updates with and without the add-on SFS. I will do some tests.

I saw mostly happen on QEMU but also on bare metal couple of times.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya I have done updates on several installations of KLV-Airedale-sr10. Using the wd_multi script I set up 5 installs.

With 2 with the setup SFS and 2 without. They all updated okay. I saw some earlier today just stop and hang there for a long time before finishing and a few that totally broke the entire system. Deleting the upper_changes and trying to update again worked. So I am not really sure what's wrong or what's happening to cause the problem, Might be the Void Linux repos, which we've experienced problems with when the repos and mirrors are heavily upgraded.

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

In general, I put together an assembly with a rollback to 2023.year, with (libgcc-12), which is loaded, although the assembly plugin was written hastily, but it will work.

KLV-Airedale-sr8 And KLV-Airedale-sr10 died after update. :shock: :shock: Some kind of mess with updates .Guys are doing something strange in VOID
It's starting to bother me :(

Code: Select all

# f_00_Void_KLV_XFCE_no-kernel_CE10.plug
# version="1.0.0"; revision="-CE10"
# Kennel Linux Void outfitted with a xfce4 desktop and no kernel **uses puppy linux kernel**
# Creation date 21february2024; Revision date: 
# Copyright Kennel Linux team; Licence MIT
# mv firstrib_rootfs 07firstrib_rootfs

# build this via terminal commands:build_firstrib_rootfs.sh
# ./build_firstrib_rootfs.sh void default amd64 f_00_Void_KLV_XFCE_no-kernel_CE10.plug
# Architecture i386 will probably successfully build too as an alternative to amd64

# login is user=root passwd=root

# All the parameters/commandlines can be appropriately changed:
# Simply comment in or comment out till you have what you desire
# or add new packages to the xbps-install lists.
# You can add as many valid commandlines as you want in here.
#
# base system
xbps-install -y base-minimal ncurses-base file bash eudev
xbps-install -y mc xterm xauth
xbps-install -y shadow wpa_supplicant  # needed for most wifi
xbps-install -y ntfs-3g zstd zip 7zip unzip p7zip rsync

# set up passwd system
pwconv
grpconv
printf "root\nroot\n" | passwd >/dev/null 2>&1 # Quietly set default root passwd to "root"
# set root to use /bin/bash
usermod --shell /bin/bash root

# Set locale to en_US.UTF-8 
sed -i 's/#en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8/en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8/' /etc/default/libc-locales
echo "LANG=en_US.UTF-8" >> /etc/environment
xbps-reconfigure -f glibc-locales

# Set Bash as shell
xbps-alternatives --set bash

## --------------------------------------------------------------------------
## Xorg server, xfce4 Desktop configuration

xbps-install -y xorg xfce4 xfce4-panel xfce4-plugins compton
xbps-install -y gvfs yad tzutils dialog gettext cpupower
xbps-install -y gvfs-smb gvfs-mtp gvfs-cdda xdotool

# Optional packages
#
xbps-install -y geany gftp rox mtpaint xfce4-screenshooter
xbps-install -y octoxbps fox guvcview putty smplayer
xbps-install -y e2fsprogs yelp gparted xhost pfetch gcolor2
xbps-install -y dosfstools mtools syslinux cherrytree galculator
xbps-install -y squashfs-tools wget leafpad xmessage
xbps-install -y micro htop btop gpick gufw xsettingsd xtools

# Browser selection
xbps-install -y firefox

# Fix Firefox Fonts 
#
ln -s /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/
xbps-reconfigure -f fontconfig

# System Audio/Multimedia /wireplumber
echo pipewire wireplumber alsa-pipewire pavucontrol pamixer qpwgraph ffmpeg mpv \
| xargs -n1 xbps-install -Sy
mkdir -p /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d
ln -s /usr/share/examples/wireplumber/10-wireplumber.conf /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/
mkdir -p /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d
ln -s /usr/share/examples/pipewire/20-pipewire-pulse.conf /etc/pipewire/pipewire.conf.d/

# Install Network Manager
#
xbps-install -y NetworkManager network-manager-applet
ln -s /etc/sv/NetworkManager /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/NetworkManager

# Cups print service
echo cups cups-filters cups-pdf samba-cups \
| xargs -n1 xbps-install -y
ln -s /etc/sv/cupsd /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/cupsd

## autostart firewall Gufw
ln -s /etc/sv/ufw /var/service

# Bluetooth
# bluez bluez-alsa blueman
echo blueman libspa-bluetooth \
| xargs -n1 xbps-install -y
ln -s /etc/sv/bluetoothd /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/bluetoothd
ln -s /etc/sv/bluetoothd /var/service
usermod -G bluetooth -a root

# Add ~/Startup directory
#
mkdir -p /root/Startup
cat <<'EOF' >> /usr/local/bin/start-up
#!/bin/bash
sleep 5
user_home=$(eval echo ~${SUDO_USER})
ls $user_home/Startup/* | while read J
do
   "$J" &
done
EOF

chmod +x /usr/local/bin/start-up

# Setup autologin on tty1
#
cp -a /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc /root/.xinitrc
cp -R /etc/sv/agetty-tty1 /etc/sv/agetty-autologin-tty1
sed -i 's/GETTY_ARGS.*/GETTY_ARGS="--autologin root --noclear"/' /etc/sv/agetty-autologin-tty1/conf  # editing for autologin root
touch /etc/sv/agetty-tty1/down

# Arrange to startx in user's .bash_profile (per Arch Wiki)
# Remove this section if not wanting boot straight into X
touch ~/.bash_profile
cat <<'AUTOLOGIN' > /etc/profile.d/autologin.sh
# autologin on tty1
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ] && [ "$(fgconsole)" -eq 1 ]; then
exec startx  # remove the exec if you want back to tty1 on exit X

fi
AUTOLOGIN

# Get and install autologin fix
#
#cd /etc/sv
#wget https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/agetty-autologin-tty1.tar.gz
#tar xvfz agetty-autologin-tty1.tar.gz

# Use agetty-autologin-tty1 instead of agetty-tty1 
rm -f /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/agetty-tty1
ln -s /etc/sv/agetty-autologin-tty1 /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/agetty-autologin-tty1

# enable dbus service
# ln -s /etc/sv/dbus /var/service
ln -s /etc/sv/dbus /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/dbus
ln -s /etc/sv/ntpd /etc/runit/runsvdir/default/ntpd  # /etc/sv/nptd is symlink to chronyd

# Auto-editing .xinitrc to use xfce4 instead of twm
# Because I'm using exec here the script will end there so no xterms started
#
# sed -i 's/twm &/exec xfce4-session/' ~/.xinitrc

sed -i '51,$d' /root/.xinitrc
echo "pipewire &" >>/root/.xinitrc
echo "pipewire-pulse &" >>/root/.xinitrc
echo "/usr/local/bin/start-up &" >>/root/.xinitrc 
echo "exec xfce4-session" >>/root/.xinitrc
#echo "# exec xfce4-session" >>/root/.xinitrc  # removed exec to allow dropping out of Xorg to console

# ~/.Xresources for larger xterm uxterm fonts
cat <<'XRESOURCES' > ~/.Xresources
Xft*antialias: true
Xft*autohint: true
XTerm*background: black
XTerm*foreground: grey
XTerm*cursorColor: grey
XTerm.vt100.geometry: 95x25+150
XTerm.vt100.scrollBar: true
XTerm.vt100.scrollbar.width: 8
XTerm*faceName: Monospace Regular 
XTerm*faceSize: 9

UXft*antialias: true
UXft*autohint: true
UXTerm*background: black
UXTerm*foreground: grey
UXTerm*cursorColor: grey
UXTerm.vt100.geometry: 84x25+150
UXTerm*faceName: Monospace Regular 
UXTerm*faceSize: 9
XRESOURCES

# Change to fancy prompt via .bashrc
sed -i '51,$d' ~/.bashrc
echo "pfetch" >> ~/.bashrc
VAR='PS1="\[\e[0;36m\]┌──\[\e[0m\][ \[\e[0;33m\]\u\[\e[0m\]\[\e[0;32m\]@\[\e[0;36m\]\h\[\e[0m\] ] [ \[\e[0;36m\]\t\[\e[0m\] ]\n\[\e[0;36m\]├── \[\e[0;32m\]\w\[\e[0;36m\]\n\[\e[0;36m\]└>\[\e[0m\]" '
echo "$VAR" >> ~/.bashrc

## USER CONFIGS: Copy main configs to /etc/skel for all normal users later added
#
xbps-install -y sudo
cp -af /root/. /etc/skel
mkdir -p /etc/skel/.config /etc/skel/.cache /etc/skel/.local/share
echo Still some extra to do here re the likes of runit starting pulseaudio
echo among other user needed config bits and pieces,
echo so probably a few user-config issues noted as needing fixed here

# Give wheel group nopasswd sudo rights and create weedog as wheel group member
echo '%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL' | (VISUAL="tee -a" visudo) # wheel group added to sudo no password required
useradd -m -G wheel -s /bin/bash weedog  # weedog in wheel group so has elevated sudo permissions
printf "weedog\nweedog\n" | passwd weedog >/dev/null 2>&1 # Quietly set default weedog passwd to "weedog"

# Give wheel group nopasswd sudo rights and create spot as wheel group member
echo '%wheel ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL' | (VISUAL="tee -a" visudo) # wheel group added to sudo no password required
useradd -m -G wheel -s /bin/bash spot  #spot in wheel group so has elevated sudo permissions
printf "spot\nspot\n" | passwd spot >/dev/null 2>&1 # Quietly set default spot

# Create /home/spot directories
#
mkdir -p /home/spot/Desktop
mkdir -p /home/spot/Documents
mkdir -p /home/spot/Downloads
mkdir -p /home/spot/Music
mkdir -p /home/spot/my-applications
mkdir -p /home/spot/Pictures
mkdir -p /home/spot/Public
mkdir -p /home/spot/Startup
mkdir -p /home/spot/Templates
mkdir -p /home/spot/Videos

# Create /root directories
#
mkdir -p /root/Desktop
mkdir -p /root/Documents
mkdir -p /root/Downloads
mkdir -p /root/Music
mkdir -p /root/my-applications
mkdir -p /root/Pictures
mkdir -p /root/Public
mkdir -p /root/Startup
mkdir -p /root/Templates
mkdir -p /root/Videos

# Set permissions
#
chown -R spot:spot /home/spot
chown -R weedog:weedog /home/weedog

# add users to groups and change permissions
#
usermod -a -G audio weedog
usermod -a -G audio spot
usermod -a -G video weedog
usermod -a -G video spot
xhost +
chmod 755 /
chmod 755 /bin
chmod 755 /lib

# add sudo -spot to .desktop files
cd /usr/share/applications
sed -i 's/^Exec=/&sudo -uspot /' octoxbps.desktop
sed -i 's/^Exec=/&sudo -uspot /' octoxbps-notifier.desktop
cp /usr/share/applications/thunar.desktop /usr/share/applications/thunar-spot.desktop
sed -i 's/^Exec=/&sudo -uspot /' thunar-spot.desktop
sed -i 's/^Name=/&spot-/' thunar-spot.desktop

#### Get KLV custom packages ####
#
# Create and switch to build directory
mkdir -p /root/Build
cd /root/Build

wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/libfontconfig1-1.12_0.x86_64.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/gparted-shell-1.0_0.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/mime-add-1.1_0.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/xbps-tools-1.0_3.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/pfind-howbig-tca-1.0_0.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/uextract-4.7_1.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/tzupdate2-2.0_2.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/xlunch-4.1_3.x86_64.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/default-scripts-1.0_1.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/dropbear-0.81_1.x86_64.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/SFS-Load-2.0_1.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/tas-1.15_1.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/packit-pfind-1.0_1.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/gettext-1.0_1.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/swapper-1.2_1.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/backgrounds-1.0_1.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/run-as-users-1.5_1.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/inst-xbps-1.8_1.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/gtkhash-1.1.1_1.x86_64.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/pure-ftpd-1.0.50_1.x86_64.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/syndownload-2.0_1.x86_64.xbps
wget -c https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/XBPS_packages/desktop-config-1.0_1.x86_64.xbps
wget -c https://gitlab.com/sofija.p2018/kla-ot2/-/raw/main/KLV-Airedale/save2flash-1.8_1.noarch.xbps
wget -c https://gitlab.com/sofija.p2018/kla-ot2/-/raw/main/KLV-Airedale/poorercputemp-0.2_1.x86_64.xbps
wget -c https://gitlab.com/sofija.p2018/kla-ot2/-/raw/main/KLV-Airedale/dcontrol-2.0_1.x86_64.xbps

#### Install KLV custom packages ####

# Register and index packages
cd /root
xbps-rindex -a Build/*.xbps

# Install libfontconfig cache fix
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ libfontconfig1-1.12_0

# Install gparted-shell
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ gparted-shell-1.0_0

# Install MIME definitions 
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ mime-add-1.1_0

# Install pfind-howbig-tca
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ pfind-howbig-tca-1.0_0

# Install xbps-tools 
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ xbps-tools-1.0_3

# Install uextract
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ uextract-4.7_1

# Install tzupdate
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ tzupdate2-2.0_2

# Install xLunch
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ xlunch-4.1_3
xbps-pkgdb -m hold  xlunch-4.1_3

# Install default launch scripts
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ default-scripts-1.0_1

# Install dropbear
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ dropbear-0.81_1

# Install SFS-Load
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ SFS-Load-2.0_1

# Install tas
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ tas-1.15_1

# Install Packit and pFind
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ packit-pfind-1.0_1

# Install gettext
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ gettext-1.0_1

# Install swapper
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ swapper-1.2_1

# Install  backgrounds
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ backgrounds-1.0_1

# Install run-as-spot and run-as-weedog
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ run-as-users-1.5_1

# Install inst-xbps
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ inst-xbps-1.8_1

# Install gtkhash
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ gtkhash-1.1.1_1

# Install pure-ftpd
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ pure-ftpd-1.0.50_1

# Install Syndownload
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ syndownload-2.0_1

# Install desktop configuration
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ desktop-config-1.0_1

# Install save2flash
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ save2flash-1.8_1

# Install poorercputemp
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ poorercputemp-0.2_1 

# Install dcontrol
xbps-install -y --repository=Build/ dcontrol-2.0_1

# Set execution permissions recursivly for binaries and scripts
chmod +x -R /usr/local/bin

# Clean Up
#

rm -r /root/Build
rm /var/cache/xbps/*

# Set your timezone. Example:
current_timezone="Etc/UTC"
ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/${current_timezone} /etc/localtime

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------
echo "desktop build process finished"

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (249.85 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:01 am, edited 3 times in total.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya The latest system updates seem to be working. I am using fresh frugal installs of sr10.
the XBPS package manager gets updated first then 89 packages this time.

I made a new 07KLV-airedale_rootfs.sfs which includes all the current updates. I have not repackaged any ISO's yet. I am testting by using the existing sr10's, install and update. Then I will add in the 08 settings layer SFS and see what is happening. :geek: :thumbup2:

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:14 am

@Sofiya The latest system updates seem to be working. I am using fresh frugal installs of sr10.
the XBPS package manager gets updated first then 89 packages this time.

I made a new 07KLV-airedale_rootfs.sfs which includes all the current updates. I have not repackaged any ISO's yet. I am testting by using the existing sr10's, install and update. Then I will add in the 08 settings layer SFS and see what is happening. :geek: :thumbup2:

Yes, KLV-Airedale-sr8 also worked for me until I clicked update, because it wouldn’t let me install the program without updating and the puppy died. After a reboot it just doesn’t load normally

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

added the missing parts :thumbup: :thumbup: :ugeek: ;) :)

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (151.6 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (259.17 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Sofiya wrote:

After a reboot it just doesn’t load normally

On some tests booting right after updating I can not get a desktop. I see errors happening during the boot that is causing the system to revert back to the default .xinitrc

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:35 am
Sofiya wrote:

After a reboot it just doesn’t load normally

On some tests booting right after updating I can not get a desktop. I see errors happening during the boot that is causing the system to revert back to the default .xinitrc

yes yes this is exactly the behavior :shock:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya
After the update there are 2 files in / that need to be deleted then reboot!!
DELETE the hidden files in /

.linuxrc
.Xauthority

.linuxrc is a symlink to busybox. Why it is there and what created it I have no idea yet. But it shouldn't be there.

In a terminal I had to use

xhost +

to get the desktop to start right. This seems to indicate a permissions problem but I also see a mount point failure during the boot.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak Weird stuff happening! After recent updates there seems to be mount point failures during system start which causes the system to resort to the default /etc/X11/init/.xinitrc and ending up with a messed up desktop.

Suddenly there are .bash_profile, a symlink to busybox and .Xauthority files appearing in / !!

After fumbling around deleting things and throwing in xhost + commands it finally boots to the correct desktop environment.

Something is definitely wrong and the mount point failure in the boot process looks to be a major contributor to the problems.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya I will build a new initrd.gz for the Void Linux kernel in sr10 to give that a try.

Does the RT versions work? They use the skeleton initrd.gz whereas the Void Linux kernel versions use a modified version of the initrd

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:31 pm

@Sofiya I will build a new initrd.gz for the Void Linux kernel in sr10 to give that a try.

Does the RT versions work? They use the skeleton initrd.gz whereas the Void Linux kernel versions use a modified version of the initrd

I don't have RT to check

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya I tested the KLV's using the skeleton initrd.gz with the RT kernels is working normally!!!!

So it does appear that the latest updates/upgrades have changed something that needs to be modified in the initrd.gz being used for the KLV's with Void Linux kernels!!!

I will now make a new initrd.gz and see if that fixes the problem........

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

rockedge wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:31 pm

KLV-Airedale-RT with full Real Time Kernel 6.6.0-rt15
Doesn't load correctly to desktop after update

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (99.01 KiB) Viewed 393 times
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (43.83 KiB) Viewed 393 times

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

This is KLV-Airedate SR10 with @Sofiya's 08KLV-airedale-Settings-rc2.sfs. All running smoothly with excellent icon set. Great job by all who have contributed to Kennel Linux

Attachments
Screenshot_2024-02-22_14-39-32.png
Screenshot_2024-02-22_14-39-32.png (378.29 KiB) Viewed 385 times

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Just to report, on Tuesday evening I updated my little laptop's KLV-airedale-sr2 with a 6.3.12 Kernel.

Being that the internet is really slow where I work on Tuesday, I had to leave it to complete and left it on overnight. But it all updated successfully and ran normally on Wednesday.

My other KL's with RT-kernels have all been running normally, but I have been hesitant to do an update on them since hearing these reports.

When I built the 08KLV-Spectr-studio.sfs layer I didn't include musikcube in the build because I was receving an error retrieving a lib for it, which I found odd. Everything else installed normally, though my first thought was that Void must be doing something in the repo agiain.

Last edited by geo_c on Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Mystifying now....... I made a new initrd.gz and tried with a newer Void kernel 6.7.5_1 and still the same weird behavior.

This time while in the default TWM desktop I typed exit in the login terminal and after doing that 2 times where it started the wrong desktop, on the 3rd try with just typing exit and not changing anything it suddenly boots normally.......

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... :shock:

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

inserted the kernels and updated

KLV-Airedale-RT -- 00zdrv_vanilladpup_10.0.30 --- works after update

KLV-Airedale-sr8 -- 00modules-6.1.38-rock-rt13c -- works after update

Attachments
Screenshot_22-фев_18-31-38_25830.png
Screenshot_22-фев_18-31-38_25830.png (227.96 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Last edited by Sofiya on Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:19 pm

Mystifying now....... I made a new initrd.gz and tried with a newer Void kernel 6.7.5_1 and still the same weird behavior.

This time while in the default TWM desktop I typed exit in the login terminal and after doing that 2 times where it started the wrong desktop, on the 3rd try with just typing exit and not changing anything it suddenly boots normally.......

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......... :shock:

I wonder if that's a timing issue with some of the startup scripts.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Yes it might be a timing issue. Just now I booted and it went into the default TWM desktop and after a second time entering exit in the terminal it boots and operates normally.

Telling is @Sofiya trying out the vanillaDpup kernel and it's working as expected. It's giving me stress now.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I see this quick flash of a box with some message in it but it disappears very quickly and I can not make out what it is saying.

There is an error message that at the point where the rootfs is being re-mounted read-only an error message reports mount fails due to bad option
Then the default TWM desktop starts. Using exit twice in the "login" terminal will start the system normally again.

There are a row of errors that a slew of files can;t be read after the second exit command but the system will start then normally.

I will also test using the KLV-HyprlandCE kernel to see how that goes.....

Sofiya

Post by Sofiya »

KLV-Airedale-sr10 -- 00modules-6.1.38-rock-rt13c -- --- works after update
Thank heavens!

Attachments
Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (256.55 KiB) Viewed 352 times
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (233.24 KiB) Viewed 352 times

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Sofiya , @geo_c That's really good news!

Seems perhaps the Void Linux kernel and the matching initrd.gz for it is causing some timing issue...not 100% sure about that, but it looks like something broke with the updates and the Void Linux kernel package being used in the Airedale's.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Swapped in kernel 6.1.38-rock-rt13 to KLV-Airedale-sr10 and now boots as expected!

So what is it? Void Linux kernel and or the matching initrd.gz?

I will test the same using the kernel 6.6.0-rt15

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rockedge wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:32 pm

Swapped in kernel 6.1.38-rock-rt13 to KLV-Airedale-sr10 and now boots as expected!

So what is it? Void Linux kernel and or the matching initrd.gz?

I will test the same using the kernel 6.6.0-rt15

Well I've been using that real time kernel on every machine I own, 20 year old computers with dual core processors and 3GB of ram and it works just fine!

I love the RT kernels.

Not that you don't want to get the other ones working, but I haven't had good results with the newer void kernels, like not booting at all!

Last edited by geo_c on Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I had the same issue trying a more recent RT kernel I made, 6.6.0-rt15. This also is only booting correctly after 2 exit commands in the terminal in the default desktop.

No problems with 6.1.38-rock-rt13. How odd...now I have stuff everywhere looking into this and losing oversight on what I'm doing. At least it's all working well with 6.1.38-rt13

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Also the full real time kernel 6.1.67-rt15 is also working and the system is booting correctly. Though I am seeing some messages during the shutdown/reboot stage that I don't remember seeing before concerning system services.

About to test an older Void Linux kernel in an updated sr10. I have made a sr11 with the 6.1.67-rt15 kernel and a current update/upgrade

@wiak 's wd_multi is coming in handy right now for bare metal system start experiments

Return to “KLV-Airedale”